• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the Sony developers up to

JCreasy

Yeah Quantic Dream is not going anywhere any time soon. Since they earn additional money with their mo-cap studio, tax breaks and some government funding their budgets aren't that high compared to other studios.
So as long as they don't plan to go multiplatform they will just stay where they are. Best of both worlds really: independent and almost first-party. If they plan to leave Sony at some point they can start thinking about an acquisition.

BTW this quote from David Cage probably belongs into this thread, as it shows that their PS4 development is going pretty good (found by SolidSnakex):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52532865&postcount=423

Since they also hired a new producer and writer recently (http://www.facebook.com/joel.janisse) it is pretty apparent that they are building a second team.
So they have the main "David Cage" team and probably a separate smaller one only with Cage as the overseer and director.

I love reading stuff like this. Thanks! Keep it coming :)

This gen allowed sony to see which studios and franchises are worth investing in. With the best studios now having 2 teams and the japanese studios with better management, combined with the developer friendly hardware, there should be a steady stream of quality titles for PS4.

Takao

Banned
This gen allowed sony to see which studios and franchises are worth investing in. With the best studios now having 2 teams and the japanese studios with better management, combined with the developer friendly hardware, there should be a steady stream of quality titles for PS4.

Developer friendly hardware certainly helped Sony and their partners push out those quality Vita titles!

Guillaume de Fondaumière said in a video (studio tour) that their is a second team which the invited press weren't allowed to see.
Jup. He joked about a "secret room" and you can see multiple PS4 devkits during the tour as well with developers sitting in front of them and the monitors turned off.

Since they have 18 open positions right now according to their website the second team is growing pretty fast I would guess.

Takao said:
Developer friendly hardware certainly helped Sony and their partners push out those quality Vita titles!
Except that we know for a fact that most Sony devs don't care about the Vita and are developing for PS4 instead. It sucks for the Vita, but the PS4 titles are definitely coming.

Dusky

Yeah Quantic Dream is not going anywhere any time soon. Since they earn additional money with their mo-cap studio, tax breaks and some government funding their budgets aren't that high compared to other studios.
So as long as they don't plan to go multiplatform they will just stay where they are. Best of both worlds really: independent and almost first-party. If they plan to leave Sony at some point they can start thinking about an acquisition.

BTW this quote from David Cage probably belongs into this thread, as it shows that their PS4 development is going pretty good (found by SolidSnakex):

Since they also hired a new producer and writer recently (http://www.facebook.com/joel.janisse) it is pretty apparent that they are building a second team.
So they have the main "David Cage" team and probably a separate smaller one only with Cage as the overseer and director.

Great stuff. I'm looking forward to see how Beyond performs in terms of sales. Personally I don't see it doing better than HR unless they decide to do a PS4 port.

that quote is soo good!!! I can't wait to see their PS4 game ^_^

Great stuff. I'm looking forward to see how Beyond performs in terms of sales. Personally I don't see it doing better than HR unless they decide to do a PS4 port.

The marketing for this game will be huge, they didn't hire those actors to let the game bomb. I'm pretty sure they're expecting bigger sales than HR's.

Dusky

The marketing for this game will be huge, they didn't hire those actors to let the game bomb. I'm pretty sure they're expecting bigger sales than HR's.

I'm sure it will be but you have to take into account that it is launching during the same quarter as games such as GTA, CoD, BF4, etc. Not to mention the next-gen consoles launching during that time too.

Melchiah

I hope Guerilla is working on a scifi RPG instead of a fantasy one, we have enough of those. I also remember someone posting some rumors here that GG had multiple pitches for a new IP and the best received one was a Ghost in the shell inspired game, god i hope they went with that one.

Yes, please. They do need to improve their writing though.

Yeah I think a PS4 port is necessary in order for it to match Heavy Rain.

There's a lot of software competition in the October timeframe.

Mario007

Ice cold man. True, though. I'm still surprised people are all celebrating the PS4 and how Sony has moved to a dev-centric approach when they already did so with the Vita. Too bad no one in the west seems to be interested in dedicated handheld gaming as opposed to iOS crash and burn quick bucks.

I just really need an update on Warrior's Lair. SCE San Diego.

It's dead. According to a member of the original team it doesn't appear San Diego ever even started working on it. It's too bad. The asymmetrical multiplayer mode they renamed the game after sounded really cool. You'd design and upgrade your hero's Lair, and your friends could enter it and try to make it through to get your treasures. They'd be grinding experience and loot, and you'd get rewards based on the effectiveness of your traps and design. And there was no penalty for failure, so it's not like they stole a bunch of gold from you, nor would dying in a friend's lair would make you lose anything.

JoshHood

It's dead. According to a member of the original team it doesn't appear San Diego ever even started working on it. It's too bad. The asymmetrical multiplayer mode they renamed the game after sounded really cool. You'd design and upgrade your hero's Lair, and your friends could enter it and try to make it through to get your treasures. They'd be grinding experience and loot, and you'd get rewards based on the effectiveness of your traps and design. And there was no penalty for failure, so it's not like they stole a bunch of gold from you, nor would dying in a friend's lair would make you lose anything.
I hadn't heard anything like that, do you have a source? Makes sense though.

One of the lead designers posted about it here. This is the relevant passage:

When they killed it, they said they were going to finish it at their San Diego studio. This was also the story they put out to the press, saying it wasn't cancelled. While they owned all the work we had done, this was always an absurd suggestion. No one in San Diego knew anything about our tools, our technology, or our design. So I don't know how serious they ever were about that idea, but a few months later we heard through the grapevine that they had no plans to do so. It's extremely unlikely the game will ever be released.

mothball

That really sucks. I only even heard about that game an hour ago (via that link), but since Dungeon Hunter turned out to be mediocre I've been craving a game like that on the Vita, and from the gameplay videos it looked really great. I just don't get SCEA.

Globox_82

Banned
That really sucks. I only even heard about that game an hour ago (via that link), but since Dungeon Hunter turned out to be mediocre I've been craving a game like that on the Vita, and from the gameplay videos it looked really great. I just don't get SCEA.

if it was "great" it wouldn't be canned. it was for the better(probably)

Battlefront 3.

That was apparently canned because LucasArts decided to be cheap and kill that project so that it could be built by another developers on a smaller budget. That turned out to be a huge mistake.

I'm really curious about what type of partnerships Sony Japan are going to cook up. They don't develop a lot of in-house projects on their own. More often than not they work together with third party devs to build games. That's what they're currently doing with rain (that's with Acquire).

Dusky

That was apparently canned because LucasArts decided to be cheap and kill that project so that it could be built by another developers on a smaller budget. That turned out to be a huge mistake.

I'm really curious about what type of partnerships Sony Japan are going to cook up. They don't develop a lot of in-house projects on their own. More often than not they work together with third party devs to build games. That's what they're currently doing with rain (that's with Acquire).

Pyramid Inc have been fairly quiet lately. Surely it doesn't take that long to make another Patapon for a handheld surely? Which could mean they are working on something for PS4.

Was not too sure where to ask and was not to sure if i should have created a thread about reboots on the PS4 but anyway i will ask here and see what responses i get...

Reboots on the PS4, which would you like to see and i also wanted to ask what are the chances of a The Getaway reboot or sequel?

Pyramid Inc have been fairly quiet lately. Surely it doesn't take that long to make another Patapon for a handheld surely? Which could mean they are working on something for PS4.

Pyramid worked on the Zero no Kiseki (think of it as Trails in the Sky 4) remake/remaster for Vita, so they haven't been quiet at all.

Ice cold man. True, though. I'm still surprised people are all celebrating the PS4 and how Sony has moved to a dev-centric approach when they already did so with the Vita. Too bad no one in the west seems to be interested in dedicated handheld gaming as opposed to iOS crash and burn quick bucks.

if Vita was ~$150 I bet it would sell like crazy.

Was not too sure where to ask and was not to sure if i should have created a thread about reboots on the PS4 but anyway i will ask here and see what responses i get...

Reboots on the PS4, which would you like to see and i also wanted to ask what are the chances of a The Getaway reboot or sequel?

Jumping Flash will always be at the top of my list as a game for Sony to reboot. But it's also one of the least likely. There hasn't been a new one since the PSone.

As far as The Getaway goes, i'd say that it's probably 50/50. If Sony is really serious about making the PS4 a core gamer console, then they're going to have to put Sony London on something else other than another casual Move title. They handle that series now so they'd be the one to start work on it again.

Jumping Flash will always be at the top of my list as a game for Sony to reboot. But it's also one of the least likely. There hasn't been a new one since the PSone.

As far as The Getaway goes, i'd say that it's probably 50/50. If Sony is really serious about making the PS4 a core gamer console, then they're going to have to put Sony London on something else other than another casual Move title. They handle that series now so they'd be the one to start work on it again.

or they could just secure Whore of the Orient, it's made by the same guy who made The Getaway or they could give up The Agent and secure a next gen version of GTAV

OR they could just focus on Infamous Second Son

or they could just secure Whore of the Orient, it's made by the same guy who made The Getaway or they could give up The Agent and secure a next gen version of GTAV

I think at this point, even without Phil Harrison, Sony realises that that would be an idiotic idea. Brendan McNamara is an absolute tool and SCEA were stupid for even bothering with LA Noire in the first place.

I think at this point, even without Phil Harrison, Sony realises that that would be an idiotic idea. Brendan McNamara is an absolute tool and SCEA were stupid for even bothering with LA Noire in the first place.

yea you are right, he is probably the guy who hoards production money for himself and blows it on cars and hookers

Mario007

if Vita was ~$150 I bet it would sell like crazy.
It needs games though. I have a Vita and I don't mind spending 200 euros on it but that's because I know I love playing handheld games with buttons and love many PS1 and PSP games which automatically makes Vita's library huge for me.

But look at this year, these are the retail releases for Vita outside fo Japan: Soul Sacrifice, Epic Mickey 2, Invizimals, Batman, Killzone, FIFA and Tearaway. They're all fine titles (maybe bar EM2) but that's 7 retail games in a whole year. Not even one new retail game per month. Vita needs continuous flow of titles and indie titles, while nice, don't do the job.

Cyberia

Gamesindustry published today an interview with Ru Weerasuriya from Ready at Dawn.

Some interesting quotes:

It's been an unbelievable two years, a little bit more than that even, of the back and forth and getting to the point where we felt like something was different about the industry," he said. "And all I can tell you is that we couldn't have made this game without the hardware that is going to come up. That was one of the reasons why we decided to sign this IP now and not before."

"I'm looking forward to the future. There's a trend, a commonality that's forming right now in what's being built for the next generation of hardware that I don't think we've had in the past. It's been a very segmented industry and I truly feel like Sony and PlayStation actually are finally bringing... I know they're not going to solve every problem in the world, but they're bringing people together. And I don't just mean the player; they're bringing us, as developers, from different genres and from different places, to the common goal of trying to create good entertainment," he said.

"Yes, we could hire 100 more people to do this, but I would rather have the smaller, more focused, more diverse people that can do multiple things at work than to have a very specialized group of 250 people. Because ultimately, you're going to find redundancies, but you're also going to find that long-term, it doesn't work because you're just churning out like a factory and you're not making people care about what they do. Budget is going to be a struggle always. It's a struggle in the movie industry. It's a struggle we have. I don't think that's going to die anytime soon."

Ready at Dawn's next-gen project is "going really well," Weerasuriya said, but he made no promises about showing it at E3. "I think the funnest part about it is I feel like the company was built for this. It was the goal we had the first day we started Ready at Dawn, and many times along the way we had chances to start a new IP and get this IP rolling but we never felt we were ready and we never felt that we could deliver exactly what we wanted to on the platforms that were out there, so it's almost like perfect timing, like the stars are aligning."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...-the-console-industry-says-ready-at-dawn-boss

Hydrargyrus

Sony should give the Demon's Souls IP to Santa Monica.

It would be awesome to be able to play a Demon's Souls saga being made in a first party studio plus Dark Souls saga, that is made at From Software

ItsYaboi

Neo Member
how about SOE (at least the PlanetSide devs) release a PS4 & PC version of.....

M.A.G. 2! yeah bitches I said it.. MAG f'n 2!

with key members of the first game, helping over seeing it. eh? eh?

I must agree.... FPS games this generation must at least be 32 vs 32

Dusky

Sony should give the Demon's Souls IP to Santa Monica.

It would be awesome to be able to play a Demon's Souls saga being made in a first party studio plus Dark Souls saga, that is made at From Software

Ugh, no thanks. It's either FROM or nothing.

Dusky

Not sure if this was posted but SCEE trademarked "The Order" about a month ago.

loevBBY.jpg

Top Bottom