• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2012)

I finished Hollow City. Quite enjoyed it ending not so much though. I'm starting on All The Devils creatures and then start on the iron druid chronicles. Which has like 5 books or so.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
fI14U.jpg

I've begun reading this at the behest of a friend. It's the first Stephen King, of any kind, that I've ever read. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm not sure I like the writing style.

ilikeme

Finished

Ja7o4.jpg

Great book - warmer and easier to approach compared to New Sun, but still loads of fun. And with a slight bit less of Severians severe case of crazy douche misogynist. Can' wait to read the next two parts and find out what Patera Silk gets himself into next.

szMUd.jpg

Rereading this with a twist - I read aloud to myself in my (terrible) attempt at an Irish english accent. So this time, Severian is Irish! As the whole book is in first person, the magnitude of change this approach creates cannot be overestimated. Like a completely new book. Just what the book needed, if I say so myself.

berg ark

I've read it through maybe three times now, and it's one of the books I will never get rid of.

Doesn't have the same sort of huge thematic basis that GGS has - but the details themselves are compelling and thought-provoking. Needs to be read fairly slowly to take it all in, not a book to be rushed. Chilling opening chapter.

Certainly I'd recommend it.

Thanks for the insight. I have longed for the story about the Greenland norse, to read about it and understand it. I guess it really doesn't need the same kind of all-connected general thesis that GGS had to still be worth to read.

Setre

O0tnC.jpg

About 20 pages in and so far I'm enjoying it. Only 180 pages, or so, in iBooks so this should be a short read.

FACE

Banned
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmqgj0RJDJ1qzdwano1_400.jpg[IMG]

Started this last night. Nearly half way through. [I]Very[/I] intriguing. Kinda hard to put down. I've never read a book by Jon Ronson before, but this is a great glimpse into the world of psychopaths. Sometimes funny, but sometimes actually pretty disturbing.[/QUOTE]

Some psychologists(including Robert Hare) aren't big fans of that book: [url]http://www.psychopathysociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=115&Itemid=132&lang=us[/url]

Arooguy

Currently working on this:
515v0SfKvlL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SS500_.jpg

and like a lot of people, I started on this series:

68428.jpg

I'm really enjoying Mistborn, while the writing is not the best, the story and the magic system are great. I find it to be an easy read, breezed through the first 200 pages and I have enjoyed almost every moment.

So Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter worth 2 bucks? It's on Kindle sale, along with Lightning Thief
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is actually a decent book. I paid for it full price and thought it was worth it. Don't watch the movie though, it is almost completely unrelated to the book and is garbage.

Finished the DFW biography. Good, but heartbreaking in a way. He had many problems. Still working on The Corrections, and I also started Theory of Literature by Fry. It is a transcript (expanded) of his lit theory course at Yale. Interesting so far.

It is one of the wonders of the world how his genius managed to poke through his insecurity and depression/neurosis. He absolutely should not have been able to produce the work (or at least the amount of it) that he did. That, to me, just makes his intellect that much more scary.

114677.jpg

Finally trucked thorough this, finishing it during my flight from Boston to Dallas. Fantastic book. I will begin the second volume tonight.
136239.jpg

mike23

Started in on a new trilogy:

uFGlp.jpg
i8QR6.jpg

Last book of the trilogy:

umbvZ.jpg

Oh wait, it's the first trilogy in an ongoing series of 24 books. See you in a month or two, world.

Not to mention the other bajillion books in the Forgotten Realms universe.

zethren

Banned
Finishing up Game of Thrones, and I'm going to dig into Clash of Kings at the start of the new year.

Also working through Silmarillion.

choodi

Banned

uFGlp.jpg
i8QR6.jpg

umbvZ.jpg

Oh wait, it's the first trilogy in an ongoing series of 24 books. See you in a month or two, world.

Those are actually the second trilogy in the series. However, chronologically, they are the first three.

Best three Drizzt books by a long way. The rest are pretty disposable Forgotten Realms fare, but those three novels are fantastic.

Lamel

Banned
Haven't read anything since summer because of my hectic semester...But now it's break and I am reading this. Just got a new job as a Medical Assistant and I want to kind of be competent.

It's actually a medical school book (I'll be hopefully going there so might as well start now right?)

41uv3e0NgQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Very very interesting how in-depth the clinical interview is. Such a powerful and involved technique is utilized by physicians. The subtlety is insane.

I just finished two books about food.

The first one:

An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler
This was GREAT! It's less of a cookbook and more of a narrative book about how to make the most of everything you use for food. Using all of the vegetable. Different ways you can use egg, etc. I especially liked it because she writes about how to stretch one dish into several by remaking it into something different each time.

The second one:

French Kids Eat Everything: How Our Family Moved to France, Cured Picky Eating, Banned Snacking, and Discovered 10 Simple Rules for Raising Happy, Healthy Eaters by Karen Le Billon
Eh, it was okay. I liked the comparison between French food culture and North American food culture and how they raise their kids to appreciate food and eat well. But I couldn't stand the narrator/writer. She was so whiny, complainy, and didn't really *try* hard to adapt to living in rural France even though it was her choice to move her family there.

Salsa

got a Kindle recently and man, I feel like a chump for "dropping" the hobby for the better half of the year.

Thing is I hate translations and my only option was to get books translated into my language, losing a lot (IMO) in the process. Going the Ebook route has been great to avoid this.

Ive been re-reading Neuromancer (because why not) and started Simon Pegg's biography Nerd Do Well.

Ive also re-read World War Z the day I got this thing because the crappy movie trailer made me realize I had forgotten a lot about it since 2007, and had only read it in Spanish before.

black_13

Banned
Having finished Foundation 1 a couple weeks ago, have stopped reading as I've been playing too much games over the holidays in whatever spare time I've had.

Now I'm wondering what I should read next. As Mackenzie 92 mentioned earlier, should I jump back into Enders Game by reading Speaker of the dead or read Foundation 2 or Ready Player One?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
didn't realise there was another wool book out. reading that now.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

http://i.imgur.com/uFGlp.jpg http://i.imgur.com/i8QR6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/umbvZ.jpg

Prepare for the next trilogy of books to take a steep dive in quality as they were the first books Salvatore wrote and you can really tell.

I like the Drizzt books, but they're a bit cartoonish and the quality never really rises above mediocre. But they can be fun at times.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Finally finished Titanicus by Dan Abnett after many delays. Really enjoyed it, and would highly recommend it.
2977407.jpg

Now I'm just going to read some stories from The Metal Giants and Others: The Collected Edmond Hamilton until I figure out which classic novel I'm going to read in the new year.

5767577.jpg

Hope everyone had a good holiday season!

Fjordson

That's your single favourite King book, Mak? Damn. Bought.

I love King, but never checked that out for whatever reason.

Might read it after Last Argument of Kings. I'm inside the final quarter of the book or there about. It's gotten pretty exciting.

That's your single favourite King book, Mak? Damn. Bought.

I love King, but never checked that out for whatever reason.

My favorite thing about Stephen King books is the sense of community he creates and the interaction amongst the townspeoples. This book almost completely focuses on that and doesn't really bother a whole lot with the supernatural aspect like in The Stand or It. Also, I'm a huge post-apocalypse fan and in a way this has a bit of PA undertones in that it demonstrates what might happen if there's no higher governmental authority to answer to and people are left to their own devices.

Narag

My favorite thing about Stephen King books is the sense of community he creates and the interaction amongst the townspeoples. This book almost completely focuses on that and doesn't really bother a whole lot with the supernatural aspect like in The Stand or It. Also, I'm a huge post-apocalypse fan and in a way this has a bit of PA undertones in that it demonstrates what might happen if there's no higher governmental authority to answer to and people are left to their own devices.

Making me feel better about grabbing it earlier what with that sentiment.

Seanspeed

Banned
Friend got me this for Christmas and I just started up on it:

Z0Xb0.jpg

Not sure what to expect, really. Its about a serial killer during the late 1800's Chicago World's Fair. Seems alright so far. Anybody else read this or know of the author?

_RT_

I am currently reading Wool: Omnibus edition, which is absolutely superb. Each book concerns life in an underground vault known as the Silo (think Fallout) after some kind of apocalypse on the surface. A definite read for those with any interest in concise prose, realistic characters, and sociology experiments.

Such an amazing book. I read it. Wife read it. Bought the hard copy for her father.
I hope more people check it out.

Top Bottom