• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2012)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Post-apocalpytic Books
Non-western literature

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

Griegite

still a junior
Reading The Master Switch by Tim Wu. Pretty interesting story of the communications industry starting with Bell and AT&T going back to later 19th century to today. Haven't gotten to the section about Internet yet.

Just finished two of Sanderson's short stories:

xszhY.jpg

and

WjCcQ.jpg

The last one was a pretty decent read, and i like the magic system in it. But then again Sanderson has never failed to entertain me with his magic systems, which he seems to make up by the dozen.

But the first one was really awesome, and i hope that it gets turned into a tv series (its already been optioned for it), because it is pretty much made for it. As it is, its a cool story which leaves just enough to the imagination to leave you both satisfied and wondering.

Going to go for a classic now:

k7zCd.jpg

Just finished this week, (but in november) The Black Box by Michael Connolly and Cold Days by Jim Butcher.

And about my 2012 favorites, this is my list o 2012 books read this year.

lqe1u.jpg

The blinding knife being the one I liked most of them.

On the other hand I'm sad about my book challenge.

5plKu.jpg

I don't have plans to buy more books this month so this is the final count. It's been coming down since my all time high of just over a hundred about four years ago or so (I had a really slow job and no smartphone or internet available). This year I'm a little more busy but I've been watching a lot more TV on my free time.

thomaser

An Introduction to Sociolinguistics by Janet Holmes. It's for school. Perhaps not the most interesting subject I've taken, but it's ok. And the textbook is pretty good.

Toby

quiet-the-power-of-introverts-in-a-world-that-can-t-stop-talking-by-susan-cain.jpg

It's really starting to help me come to terms with myself. I always felt like an outcast because I spend so much time by myself, but it's helped me understand that doing so may not be so uncommon or unhealthy.
It also has some interesting observations of how introverts and extroverts may differ in the business world as well.

gbsZI.jpg

Just started this the other night, only 50 pages in. Seems good so far, but hard to judge based on how little I read. Looking forward to diving in deeper this weekend.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reading two things right now: Rendevous with Ramas by Arthur C. Clarke, and a collection of short stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Just got done reading Fledgling by Octavia Butler again. Damn, she's so good. Easily my favorite author. If anyone wants any recommendations on her stuff, feel free to PM me.

Fjordson

Ooh, this sounds great. I like Sepinwall's reviews. I assume there's some good stuff about The Sopranos and The Wire in there.

gbsZI.jpg

Just started this the other night, only 50 pages in. Seems good so far, but hard to judge based on how little I read. Looking forward to diving in deeper this weekend.

Does that mention if anything's changed between the original and the 10th anniversary edition? Just out of curiosity
Is this thread series purely for fiction?

No sir. Anything and everything.

Just finished Cold Days, Crossed Blades, and Trapped.

I probably have read almost 200 books those year, which means I have met my quota already.

Edit: I've bought like 150 books on Kindle this year.

Darn you one click buy.

gdt

Still on

heroofages.jpg

Enjoying the hell out of it. I would love to see this magic system in action in a movie or on HBO. Would look amazing. I think this could be transferred pretty easily to a movie format.

Clipjoint

13542846.jpg

Bobby Dollar is an angel—a real one. He knows a lot about sin, and not just in his professional capacity as an advocate for souls caught between Heaven and Hell. Bobby’s wrestling with a few deadly sins of his own—pride, anger, even lust.

But his problems aren’t all his fault. Bobby can’t entirely trust his heavenly superiors, and he’s not too sure about any of his fellow earthbound angels either, especially the new kid that Heaven has dropped into their midst, a trainee angel who asks too many questions. And he sure as hell doesn’t trust the achingly gorgeous Countess of Cold Hands, a mysterious she-demon who seems to be the only one willing to tell him the truth.

When the souls of the recently departed start disappearing, catching both Heaven and Hell by surprise, things get bad very quickly for Bobby D. End-of-the-world bad. Beast of Revelations bad. Caught between the angry forces of Hell, the dangerous strategies of his own side, and a monstrous undead avenger that wants to rip his head off and suck out his soul, Bobby’s going to need all the friends he can get—in Heaven, on Earth, or anywhere else he can find them.

You’ve never met an angel like Bobby Dollar. And you’ve never read anything like The Dirty Streets of Heaven.

Brace yourself—the afterlife is weirder than you ever believed.

Darryl

Banned
ClarkeJonathanStrange.jpg

I just found out that they're making a mini-series about this so I decided to give it a second try. I began reading it earlier this year but got distracted and left it alone for too long.

Ashes

Banned
ClarkeJonathanStrange.jpg

I just found out that they're making a mini-series about this so I decided to give it a second try. I began reading it earlier this year but got distracted and left it alone for too long.

Take your time with this. That's the only advice I have.

I finished Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds. I adore the Revelation Space series and am debating whether to start the Prefect immediately, or save it for a rainy day.

gdt

I've kind of neglected my first love, Sci-Fi in the last year or so after my reread of the entire Foundation Universe series about 18 months ago, been way into some fantasy stuff since then.

Would the above Alistair Reynolds book/series be a good pickup to start reading more sci-fi? I'm woefully behind on modern Sci-Fi. I swallowed mostly Golden Age stuff, I'd like to read some modern stuff.

I've kind of neglected my first love, Sci-Fi in the last year or so after my reread of the entire Foundation Universe series about 18 months ago, been way into some fantasy stuff since then.

Would the above Alistair Reynolds book/series be a good pickup to start reading more sci-fi? I'm woefully behind on modern Sci-Fi. I swallowed mostly Golden Age stuff, I'd like to read some modern stuff.

Only thing I've read of Reynolds is Pushing Ice, which was fantastic. I have the first Revelation Space novel sitting on my Kindle along with his newest stand alone Blue Remembered Earth, but haven't cracked them yet.

You also can't go wrong with Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained by Peter Hamilton which is probably my favorite modern sci-fi epic space opera.

Also I hear good things about The Culture Series by Iain M. Banks, but haven't gotten around to them yet.

For some pulpy action stuff, I'd recommend The Lost Fleet Series by Jack Campbell. Fun quick reads with some surprisingly detailed and realistic tactical space battles.

I still have to read 13 more books before the year's over to make my 2012 Reading Challenge Goal but so far:

I think the best book I read in 2012 award will have to go to:

The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer

It was a tie between that and Wool, but I found the writing in the Tender Bar to be superb and Wool's to be just okay.

black_13

Banned
Just finished Ender's Game last night. Really enjoyed it. I had initially started with Foundation 1 from Asimov but found it a little hard to get into since it was my first book to read outside of school in a long time.

Now having finished Ender's Game and reading some contradictory opinions regarding the quality of the later novels in the series, decided to try and get into the Foundation 1 book again and 50 pages in I'm enjoying significantly more this time around. Might go back and read Ender's Shadow though after this.

And reading on an e-reader has greatly helped me stick to reading. Never liked holding tight books with small font. The sony reader is really great and best of all its very portable.

Mumei

It is less impressive than it might look; there's a ton of manga volumes, poetry, children's novels, and young adult literature mixed in there that is either not particularly challenging or not particularly time consuming. Oh, and the two five star books that don't show are two random volumes of One Piece I read this year. I'm a big fan!

Anyway, today I just read one short story in the collection of Nabokov short stories I was reading before. Tomorrow I am going to the library; I'm going to try to knock it out in the next few days. Nabokov's prose always takes me forever to read because I do it so slowly.

mike23

N5nf9.png

cgKga.png

Page count is off I think. I read a lot of kindle only books and they don't always have page counts. I assume they count it as 0.

Owl

Neo Member
daughter-of-the-forest.jpg

Daughter of the Forest. Read it years and years ago and just recently remembered it all of a sudden. I still love it and highly recommend it if you enjoy historical fantasy, Irish culture and mythology, and early Irish Christianity.

It's loosely based off of the story "The Six Swans".

Top Bottom