• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2013)

Just finished Slaughterhouse-Five. Never read it before, it was interesting and probably very revolutionary for its time, but I think most of it probably went over my head. And so it goes.

I really loved all the Kilgore Trout stories. Bite-sized bits of satire that were just great.

Salazar

Rereading for teaching next semester.

Beowulf
Canterbury Tales
Pride and Prejudice
Beloved
Gulliver's Travels
King Lear
The Dead
Wide Sargasso Sea

I have a heap of Patrick O'Brian books as a sort of pool of distraction. Finished Edgar Vincent's biography, Nelson: Love and Fame. Which was pretty terrific.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished a book and probably going to start next:

7Aomozt.jpg

Just picked up blood meridian because I enjoy feeling sad or something.

Man its so good. I liked The Road a lot but loved Blood Meridian, just finished it a few days ago. The back of the book plot synopsis didn't particularly strike me as something I was interested in reading but man at a certain point that book really sunk its hooks it me.

MollyAttack

Neo Member
My Bloody Life: The Making of a Latin King by Reymundo Sanchez.

Good biography, though poorly written...it is written by an ex-gangmember after all. He probably didn't receive the best education to write in a flowing, non-redundant manner, but it is certainly not painful to read. If you're interested in gang life/events/culture though, it's a good read anyway. I'll probably pick up the sequel.

ShaneB

Finished up The Snow Child 2/5. It was ok just about sums it up, Loved the setting and time period and all that, but never really felt like I cared about any of the characters and something I'll completely forget about. Moving on!

Now reading..
Ordinary Grace
15803059.jpg

Okay I powered through the last 100 pages of Clancy's Without Remorse. Enjoyable read, though I have to admit that Clancy isn't the first author you'd pick up for trying to write a love story. Not that this was a love story per se, but love was involved. Anyway, felt great to get the back story on Mr. Clark.

Not sure what I'm going to pick up next. Will wait until tomorrow to decide. I've picked up a ton of stuff on Kindle lately.

Finished up 600 Hours of Edard. Great read! The ending left me wanting more! Is Edward Adrift worth a read? I noticed it is only $2 on the Kindle store, but it seems a bit short for my liking...

I started up Of Windmills and War. I have the feeling that I am going to like this book very much. It takes place right around the beginning of World War II. I'm only 15% in, but so far it has mostly been set in Chicago.

I finished the year with 40 books read. I set my Goodreads goal to 30 at the beginning of the year. I think I've read more books this year than I have in my entire life (excluding stuff required for school).

Finally finished Absalom Absalom! last month. Goodness, Faulkner, how I loathe thee. As an antidote I read several Hemingway novels in 1/10th the time: To Have and Have Not and The Sun Also Rises. People sure were drunk and miserable in the 20s/30s. The descriptions of the Pyrenees and Pamplona in Sun... were very nice though. On to this month...

Picking up Pinker again after a down period. I'm a little surprised how even in middle chapters he's still using a gleefully sardonic tone at points when referring to the various groups outside his wheelhouse of Western secular values (even if I agree with his thesis it's just juvenile).

The_Better_Angels_of_Our_Nature.jpg

As a tonic to that I'm also reading Heilemann and Halperin's Game Change, the account of the 2008 election. Quick read, mostly going over material familiar to most of us, but little bon mots and stories hidden in there that are interesting to read. Haven't hit the Palin material yet. Halperin came off as a bit of a hack on the Commonwealth Club recently about their latest book but it's good to slum it every now and then ;).

Game_change_book_cover.jpg

Also on tap for the month are Hemingway's Old Man & The Sea and Tim Weiner's Legacy of Ashes, about the CIA.

Legacy_smpb.gif

Weiner has a Pullitzer and this book won a National Book Award so I'm expecting good things.

Also on tap for the month are Hemingway's Old Man & The Sea and Tim Weiner's Legacy of Ashes, about the CIA.

Legacy_smpb.gif

Weiner has a Pullitzer and this book won a National Book Award so I'm expecting good things.

Read the Weiner book a few years ago for my masters program. It was a super fun read, but it's as biased as it comes.

ShaneB

Finished up 600 Hours of Edard. Great read! The ending left me wanting more! Is Edward Adrift worth a read? I noticed it is only $2 on the Kindle store, but it seems a bit short for my liking...

I definitely think so. I'll concede it's not as good as 600 Hours, but I was glad to continue reading about Edward and his life. I did give both books 5/5.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Read the Weiner book a few years ago for my masters program. It was a super fun read, but it's as biased as it comes.

I've been wanting to read a book about the CIA for a while but don't really know what to pick. Is this not a good one to start with?

I've been wanting to read a book about the CIA for a while but don't really know what to pick. Is this not a good one to start with?

It's good in the sense that it gives a general overview of the agency's history and development, mainly focusing on the different directors and the (largely negative) impact they've had on it.

It's very journalistic, and the bias against the agency should come across loud and clear from the first page on. Still, it's one of the better options if you're dipping your feet into it for the first time.

I found Andrew Christopher's "For the President's Eyes Only" to be a lot more balanced source. It doesn't focus exclusively on the CIA, but it gives a more complete picture of how they fit into the larger national intelligence infrastructure. It's less journalistic than Weiner's book, but given that it was published in 1996 it certainly isn't as current.

Top Bottom