• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2013)

There's more padding in TWoT iirc. Especially when you get to book 7. I thought Feast was by far the weakest of the ASOIAF books, but maybe someone with a more recent experience with TWoT could comment on the comparison.

fakefaker

You need the first one, I mean it's not that you won't get anything in the book if you don't get the first, pero it's a sequel and Wong mentions many events from the first book. And you will know the origins from the characters by reading John dies at the end, and anyway, I think John dies and the end is a good book, and This book is Full of Spiders gets better.

Hey thanks, I'll grab it the next time I see it.

Parch

Just finished Hyperion.
Before that I finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road and can't stop thinking about that book. Now I need to see the movie.

Just finished Hyperion.
Before that I finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road and can't stop thinking about that book. Now I need to see the movie.
Movie is really well done, I'd put it slightly less good than the book, but still great.

I finished up 11/22/63 last night, which was pretty good. Now I'm reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Krowley

Would you compare the middle books to AFFC/ADWD? Because I actually enjoyed those.

I recently went through the whole series to get ready for the final book, and loved it overall. I had already read up past the point where the pace slowed down years ago, so a lot of it was a reread. Book 11, which was Jordan's last book, is just awesome, and everything else afterward is amazing as well. Sanderson did a great job finishing the series.

As to your question, the worst WOT books are a bit worse than AFFC, but I still only think one (crossroads of Twilight) is really horrible. Path of Daggers is also pretty rough but there is enough good in there to redeem it somewhat, and Winter's Heart (book 9) is actually pretty damn solid. The problems in the weaker books are similar to GRRM's problems in AFFC. Basically, you don't feel like the story is progressing much, and you spend a lot of time with characters you find less appealing. Going through the slow books is not nearly as bad when you don't have to wait years between books, and you can use chapter summaries to get through Crossroads of Twilight if you have to.

IMO it is well worth going through them. Jordan is probably the best worldbuilder out of all the epic fantasy writers. The world of the WOT series is a real living breathing place with diverse interesting cultures, an interesting magic system that ties into the world in ways that enhance the drama, great characters, and a great sense of adventure. Reading the books is a real escape and I think any fan of fantasy should at least give them a try.

Nymerio

I recently went through the whole series to get ready for the final book, and loved it overall. I had already read up past the point where the pace slowed down years ago, so a lot of it was a reread. Book 11, which was Jordan's last book, is just awesome, and everything else afterward is amazing as well. Sanderson did a great job finishing the series.

As to your question, the worst WOT books are a bit worse than AFFC, but I still only think one (crossroads of Twilight) is really horrible. Path of Daggers is also pretty rough but there is enough good in there to redeem it somewhat, and Winter's Heart (book 9) is actually pretty damn solid. The problems in the weaker books are similar to GRRM's problems in AFFC. Basically, you don't feel like the story is progressing much, and you spend a lot of time with characters you find less appealing. Going through the slow books is not nearly as bad when you don't have to wait years between books, and you can use chapter summaries to get through Crossroads of Twilight if you have to.

IMO it is well worth going through them. Jordan is probably the best worldbuilder out of all the epic fantasy writers. The world of the WOT series is a real living breathing place with diverse interesting cultures, an interesting magic system that ties into the world in ways that enhance the drama, great characters, and a great sense of adventure. Reading the books is a real escape and I think any fan of fantasy should at least give them a try.

The middle books (7-10, really) are noticeably weaker than the rest, but now that the series is finished they're not nearly so painful. What really made them so bad at the time was that the plot didn't move much and you knew you wouldn't get any more for another two or three years.

Now? They're not the strongest books in the series, and they can be slow, but they're not terrible.

Great, thanks. I'll start reading soon.

Halfway through Pynchon's Bleeding Edge. Very solid thus far, and it is impressive that Pynchon is still in tune with technology and video game culture as a seventy year old man.

So I got a Kindle for Christmas in anticipation of finally getting back into reading and I honestly have no idea where to begin. I mean I really liked A Storm of Swords, but I don;t know if I want to read a book in that genre. I lurk this thread sometimes, but there are just so many possibilities. What's a good starter series or some of you guys favorite authors?(besides ASoIaF)

Piecake

So I got a Kindle for Christmas in anticipation of finally getting back into reading and I honestly have no idea where to begin. I mean I really liked A Storm of Swords, but I don;t know if I want to read a book in that genre. I lurk this thread sometimes, but there are just so many possibilities. What's a good starter series or some of you guys favorite authors?(besides ASoIaF)

Well, I thought this book was excellent and easy to get into. Quite cheap too! Its fantasy, but kinda confused if you want fantasy recommendations (genre and series bits) or not

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070NSPCU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Piecake

Thanks it's a good place to start

Any good authors where I could just pick up one of their works and would be good?

Well, not sure what you are really into, so its kinda hard to recommend something. Dostoevsky is my favorite author (pevear and Volokonsky translation is key), so you can't go wrong with picking up one of his books.

Leviathan Wakes by James SA Corey for science fiction. This is the first book in the Expanse series (three books so far) and it's completely amazing. The characters are tons of fun, and there are lots of interesting developments and twists that keep the pace up.

The Black Company by Glen Cook for fantasy. It's the first book in the Black Company series (I believe there are 10 out so far) and it's quite incredible. An amazing, dark world with a group of mercenaries who get caught on the wrong side of a battle they didn't choose. The narrator is an all-time favorite.

Anything by Neal Stephenson. Dude rocks.

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut. I consider him the best writer in the English language.

Necrovex

Every person should read Murakami's masterpiece, Norwegian Woods. No other authors grabs me like Murakami; his writing style is different from the rest.

The middle books (7-10, really) are noticeably weaker than the rest, but now that the series is finished they're not nearly so painful. What really made them so bad at the time was that the plot didn't move much and you knew you wouldn't get any more for another two or three years.

Now? They're not the strongest books in the series, and they can be slow, but they're not terrible.

Your post made me think of 'A Feast for Crows.'

Any good authors where I could just pick up one of their works and would be good?
If you want a fairly quick read series, The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. He has a few stand alone books that follow the trilogy with characters from the trilogy.

If you want a single book - not part of a series - start with Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana.

Holiday

Banned
I've seen people talk about Grendel by John Gardner in here before. I read it today, it was excellent, serious depth in existentialism, sad but also funny as hell in a few spots.

I'm not sure if you want a series or a single book but here are some of my favorites that I'd highly recommend to anyone on GAF ...

Single books
The Old Man and the Wasteland
Pushing Ice
Ship of Fools
Gateway
Make Room! Make Room!
The Postman
World Made by Hand

Series
The Expanse Trilogy
The First Law Trilogy
Wool

I have a lot more suggestions but without knowing your specific tastes and how much you're willing to read, I think those are the best and most accessible for people (on GAF) who are looking to get into reading as a hobby.

Bikola

Just half way of reading 2312 by, my god this book is boring and i love sci-fi fiction :(
13078770.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Still trying to get through fall of Hyperion. Its a good book...it just doesn't have that same magic as Hyperion. The originals style of having each pilgrims story written in a different style to match their character I thought was brilliant and engaging. The story in fall is still interesting and I want to know what happens..but it just hasn't grabbed me in the same way.
Also have the two latest books in the Star Trek The Fall series lined up. I've been holding off on reading them except in tiny bits and pieces since I love trek to a degree that I know I'll tear through them in a night and then be sad that I have nothing else from that universe so read.
Reading "see me after class" in bits and pieces since sometimes it's nice to read stories from veteran teachers that let me know I'm not alone in feeling lost and overwhelmed and full of doubt sometimes about my ability to teach.

I also have Asimov's foundation and Heinlein's stranger in a strange land on my kindle ready to go since I adore science fiction but haven't read many of the classics and both of those came highly recommended.

I also have Hesse's Steppenwolf in the queque based on a recommendation.

any gaffer can recommend me a good book that has time travel or explores the concept of destiny.

This only really applies of you are a trek fan to any degree, but there are two novels in the star trek unverise under the DTI (department of temporal investigations) name that in my opinion have some great time travel related stuff. It'd of course not going to be high literature, and it's filled with techno babble, but I found both novels started to get really interesting and clever with the ideas of time travel. It takes a while to set everything up but once it does it becomes very interesting. Especially the stuff about alternate universes that are spun off from every choice we don't make, and how some of those fade out of existence depending on what choices actually made them (a universe created from a small insignificant choice is very quickly faded while one made from a monumental choice will continue on existing). If you aren't a trek fan in any capacity just ignore this. But if you have some interest in that universe of science fiction I'd recommend at least giving it a shot. And stick with it for a while wince the beginning of the first of the two books takes it's sweet ass time getting every thing set up before getting really fun and interesting.

any gaffer can recommend me a good book that has time travel or explores the concept of destiny.

I just recently read 11/22/63, and it was a very interesting time travel book. Sorta reminded me of Back to the Future in some ways. I highly reccomend it if you haven't read it before.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I just recently read 11/22/63, and it was a very interesting time travel book. Sorta reminded me of Back to the Future in some ways. I highly reccomend it if you haven't read it before.

I was going to mention this too. I haveny read it but keep meaning to as I have heard great things about it.

Essay

Because I'm all up traveling around for the holidays, I've engaged multi-book mode and am juggling:

1. Qué es el Budismo? by Jorge Luis Borges & Alicia Jurado (Spanish, 1976)
- Finally got my hands on a copy after looking for years. Probably now my most prized possession. No English translation exists. Might try to translate this myself some day.

2. Civilization of the Medieval Ages by Norman F. Cantor (1994)
- Been picking away at this for more than a year now between projects. Incredibly well-written. Anyone who enjoyed Crusader Kings II owes it to themselves to dive into this gem.

3. Success as a Mediator for Dummies by Victoria Pynchon (2012)
- Potential career stuff. Leveling up that business acumen.

4. Segunda parte del ingenioso cavallero Don Quixote de la Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (Spanish, 1615)
- Read the first part years ago, and decided to jump back into the second to further exercise my Spanish, and give myself something light to read on top of all the serious non-fiction above. It's helped by the fact that I forgot to pack any other fiction on this trip.

January's looking like a good month for anyone on the fence to jump into the book club. I read Graham Greene's A Quiet American in uni, and wholeheartedly recommend it to all. It's an incredibly smooth read by one of the 20th century's greatest English writers.

Dolken

Neo Member
Had to put down Ancillary Justice; just couldn't get into it.

Started Leviathan Wakes. I'm around eight chapters in and I'm loving it so far. Daniel Abraham is the truth.

Ah, shucks! Here's hoping I don't drop it as well after I'm done with The Expanse series.

Ah, shucks! Here's hoping I don't drop it as well after I'm done with The Expanse series.

To be fair, science fiction isn't my favorite genre when it comes to books; I much prefer it as a visual medium. That said, I found the first handful or so of chapters to be entirely uninteresting, whereas Leviathan Wakes grabbed me with the very first page.

Mannequin

Finished Battle Cry of Freedom last night, ordered 3 more books on the Civil War. Don't know which one I'm going to start first...

Bikola

You had me at...

Especially the stuff about alternate universes that are spun off from every choice we don't make, and how some of those fade out of existence depending on what choices actually made them (a universe created from a small insignificant choice is very quickly faded while one made from a monumental choice will continue on existing).
And I also love the star trek universe, so thanks i'll have a look for those books.

Thanks man, Ive heard quite a lot about this book but for some reason i just never picked it up.

Sorcerer

Is it about David Bowie?

Its actually a book written after the movie came out.

The movie is a cult classic about a new wave/punk model in the 80's and involves a plot about a UFO,

Very bizarre. But I am a huge fan of underground movies.

TripOpt55

I finished The Silver Spike which picks up with part of the story from The White Rose that the main Black Company books don't. It was a little tough to get into at first (I had just finished Book #5 of the main series, so kind of wanted to see what happened there next), but it grew on me.

Today I started The Princess and the Queen story in Dangerous Women. Figured I can try some of these different short stories afterwards too to maybe find some other authors I like. I ordered this book called A Matter of Time by Glen Cook too. Wanted to see what something other than his Black Company ones were like and that caught my eye at the store one day.

Top Bottom