• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2013)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Make sure to visit this month's GAF Book Club thread owned and operated by everyone's favorite moderator, Cyan! The book for January 2014 is ...

The Quiet American by Graham Greene

The Quiet American by Graham Greene

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
1MqWY4g.jpg

Joe Mondragon, thirty-six, is a feisty hustler with a talent for trouble, who slammed his battered pickup to a stop one day, tugged on his gumboots, and marched into an arid patch of ground. Then, illegally, he tapped into the main irrigation channel. And so began John Nichols' classic tale of the little guy against the big guy -- THE MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR.

LuffyZoro

I just finished Ballad of the Whiskey Robber. Highly recommend.

whiskeyrobber.jpg

Elmore Leonard meets Franz Kafka in the wild, improbably true story of the legendary outlaw of Budapest. Attila Ambrus was a gentleman thief, a sort of Cary Grant--if only Grant came from Transylvania, was a terrible professional hockey goalkeeper, and preferred women in leopard-skin hot pants. During the 1990s, while playing for the biggest hockey team in Budapest, Ambrus took up bank robbery to make ends meet. Arrayed against him was perhaps the most incompetent team of crime investigators the Eastern Bloc had ever seen: a robbery chief who had learned how to be a detective by watching dubbed Columbo episodes; a forensics man who wore top hat and tails on the job; and a driver so inept he was known only by a Hungarian word that translates to Mound of Ass-Head. BALLAD OF THE WHISKEY ROBBER is the completely bizarre and hysterical story of the crime spree that made a nobody into a somebody, and told a forlorn nation that sometimes the brightest stars come from the blackest holes. Like The Professor and the Madman and The Orchid Thief, Julian Rubinsteins bizarre crime story is so odd and so wicked that it is completely irresistible.

lightus

Is it another month already?

I'm still working on The Way of Kings. I'm about 250 pages in, lots of fun so far!

O.DOGG

Yesterday I started reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time based on recommendations in the previous month's WAYR thread. It's interesting so far but I'm only a few pages in.

zychi

Banned
Got the soiaf series for $10 on kindle, finally gonna finish the newest book. Harry potter reruns on TV made me want to retread the books so I'm about 100 pigs into the first

Das Ace

The Brothers Karamazov.

My girlfriend believes it's the biggest hole in my literary backlog, so I'm just getting started on it.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Currently reading:

steles-the-sky-by-elizabeth-bear-498x750.jpg

Steles of the Sky, the final volume in Elizabeth Bear's The Eternal Sky trilogy. It's the best completed fantasy trilogy I've read in years.

Piecake

Currently reading:

steles-the-sky-by-elizabeth-bear-498x750.jpg

Steles of the Sky, the final volume in Elizabeth Bear's The Eternal Sky trilogy. It's the best completed fantasy trilogy I've read in years.

Ive seen this recommended quite a few times and it has piqued my interest. Of course, you might be the only person recommending this. You arent, are you?

The Brothers Karamazov.

My girlfriend believes it's the biggest hole in my literary backlog, so I'm just getting started on it.

Best book ever

enemyairship

Neo Member
While I'm still trying to polish off a book I've been reading for what seems like ages (Search for Modern Chna, been at it for the past 3 months off and on), I just got this today:

9781250048097_p0_v5_s260x420.JPG

Should finish it fairly quickly, and with my vacation in two weeks I'm eager to finish SfMC and get some other big books out of the way. Mostly books recommended in these threads.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Ive seen this recommended quite a few times and it has piqued my interest. Of course, you might be the only person recommending this. You arent, are you?

I do recommend it whenever possible, so it's possible that it's me, but it's also proved popular here and among the internet fantasy community. And Bear is a Hugo-nominated author. I wrote fairly extensively about why I loved the first volume here: http://aidanmoher.com/blog/review/2013/03/review-of-range-of-ghosts-by-elizabeth-bear/

suzu

It's definitely a good series. I've finished reading the first two books recently.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
About 40% into Storm Front, and I'm enjoying it so far. The plot is nothing special, but the characters and world-building are very nice. I like how the exposition is handled with bits and hints here and there and not a full page or pages of explaining stuff, gives the narrative a good flow.

I just finished two-thirds of Horns by Joe Hill

horns.jpg

Great concept. The main character's present day story is awesome, some wickedly funny and dark shit happens. Stuff is starting to get heavy. The book's main problem though, is too many flashbacks. They interrupt the far more interesting present day story far too often and for too long. The present day stuff is encapsulating, but the flashbacks, I find them pretty meh and repetitive. But it's still shaping up to be a damn fine read. Will probably finish it tomorrow.

it's december already? pfff.

at any rate:

15703063.jpg

kind of a diet book, but I bought it because he claims proteins lead to aging, sorta defined as the occurrence of illness at 50-60+. (he never actually defines what that is).

strangely enough, he puts ketosis in the 'increased aging' corner, due to a single chemical the body creates on its own during ketosis. I'm guessing that is mostly poorly hidden personal bias, which happens at some other times as well. Like examining the science against anti-oxidants, but randomly stating, without any reference, that oxigen leads to aging. Which is really quite odd, because the 'oxigen burning equals aging' is one of the primary aspects of this whole 'free radicals are bad, m'kay' thesis, and from a BBC Horizon episode I happen to know that there is no effect of oxigen concentration on rats, which is to say the whole (rather silly to begin with) thesis is defeated.

I guess the editor didn't catch that one or something. Except something similar happens again later on.

After this: er ist wieder da. Dutch translation, which hopefully won't impact it too much. My German isn't good enough to read it in German though. :(

obin_gam

Still reading (or listening... it's an audiobook) Dan Simmons' Drood
lS2vEfa.jpg

The story is kinda nonexistand, it is instead a slice of life fictionary horror tale of Charles Dickens' final five years. It's cozy as hell!

Dawg

Still busy with Dune.

Was a slow start, but shit just got serious and now I'm addicted as fuck.

hythloday

51n3LuRnWrL.jpg

Almost half way through and liking it. Moving on to some of the November recommendations after.

One of my favorites in high school! I should go back and read it again...

I'm still on American Gods. Progress stalled when I was out of town and had no time to read. I like it!

About 50% through so far. Really good and getting better.

About 3/4 the way through. Pretty good, but the overly long narrative is kind of making the book drag at this point. It was fine at the beginning when building stuff up but now after a few big action packed events it just seems like too much.

moojito

Leviathan-wakes-220x344.jpg

I usually read fantasy books, but I faniced something different and this gets a lot of high praise in here. Just started, but liking it so far. Part alien, part Tracer Bullet, PI.

Nezumi

Finished listening to:

teckla.jpg

This one took me a while to get into, it felt different than the first two. The ending was great though so I immediately downloaded the next book. So now I'm listening to:

cover_180410.jpg

Which turns out to be a prequel.

Now that nanowrimo is over I can finally catch up with my reading. Currently I'm working on:

raisingsteam-2.jpg

abaddons-gate-072309981.jpg

n12986.jpg

Piecake

Finished listening to:

teckla.jpg

This one took me a while to get into, it felt different than the first two. The ending was great though so I immediately downloaded the next book. So now I'm listening to:

Yea, Teckla was by far my least favorite Taltos book. It was too much Rah! Rah! Communism for me. The whole time I was reading it when it got preachy, I was like, really? Really? Totally brought me out of the novel.

The other books go back to being good.

Finished this:

Canada by Richard Ford

It was really well written and I was excited to start it, but part II (the part actually IN Canada) was really boring and almost made me want to quit the book. I'm one of those readers where even if the writing is really good, if nothing happens, I get bored. Things happen in this book, but there's so much foreshadowing that when they actually happen, I'm already bored of it.

I want to squeeze another shorter book in before I dive into a really good books on my holiday vacation. Do you guys ever save books for when you go on vacation? I always want to save a page-turner for vacation, but then I feel bad when all I do is read instead of other relaxing or socializing on vacation.

FL4TW4V3

Sadly I couldn't finish:

a1IC4jRl.jpg

It was an interesting read, but it didn't "click" with me and I felt intimitated by the size of the omnibus, so I put it back in the shelf for a later time.

And I started reading something else:

S77Vv8sl.jpg

Already a third in and loving it. I'm afraid I'm slowly becoming a Harry Dresden fanboy.

Woorloog

Banned
Tried to re-read Dune Legends, starting with The Butlerian Jihad (Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert) before reading Dune again (once per year).*
Only... I notice this one paragraph, where a space ship is being used as a missile against a planetary defense system. While loaded with as much explosives as it can carry.
Why why why!?!?=!?!
Re-entry velocity is more than enough, explosives are pointless at 3km/s. For fucks sake, can't writers do some math or research first?
Also, i didn't remember how bad the writing was. Well, bad and bad, at least it ain't very good. Show, don't tell is not something the writers really understand, and there are other issues too.

I need something else. I'll read Dune and then read something else... but what?
Can't find good scifi anywhere. Well, stuff i haven't read yet anyway. Know a few books i'd like to read but it seems they don't have printed versions, or available here.
Hard scifi is what i want.

Do i have to write what i want myself?

*Re-read, yes. I have all of the prequels, sequels and interquels. Can't say i like them really, they're nothing compared to original Dune.

ShaneB

I want to squeeze another shorter book in before I dive into a really good books on my holiday vacation. Do you guys ever save books for when you go on vacation? I always want to save a page-turner for vacation, but then I feel bad when all I do is read instead of other relaxing or socializing on vacation.

That's basically what I'm doing right now. Reading a few shorter books until I decide what is going to be my longer marathon book over the holidays when I am home. I'm leaning towards the First Law trilogy, but yeah, I'm just stalling at the moment until choosing something longer.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
About 300 pages into A Feast for Crows. Certainly feels different from the other books. Lots of new characters being introduced and different stories being explored. But you know what? I think it's for the better. While I'm dying to know what's come of
Tyrion, Bran, Davos, Jon
, etc., to see the perspectives of all these other important players from the far reaches of the land is important in really grounding the reality of the story. It helps that most of the new characters introduced are at the very least interesting.

About 300 pages into A Feast for Crows. Certainly feels different from the other books. Lots of new characters being introduced and different stories being explored. But you know what? I think it's for the better. While I'm dying to know what's come of
Tyrion, Bran, Davos, Jon
, etc., to see the perspectives of all these other important players from the far reaches of the land is important in really grounding the reality of the story. It helps that most of the new characters introduced are at the very least interesting.

Meh. Interesting as an unfinished tales sort of thing but such a momentum brick wall for the series.

thomaser

Haven't read much lately. Still on Oscar Wilde's complete works, specifically the story "The Portrait of Mr. W.H."

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Meh. Interesting as an unfinished tales sort of thing but such a momentum brick wall for the series.

I can see that. Pacing so far in this book is noticeably slower than the past novels. We'll see, I don't want to judge it too early. So far I'm enjoying it.

Jintor

The Ascent of Money: A Financial History of the World by Niall Ferguson

Recommended by Phisheep, if I recall correctly (I may not be - apologies if so). Thoroughly fascinating so far. I feel like I should've read this when I was a lot younger though. I'm convinced that my mind isn't set up to intuitively understand markets and economics, but this is nonetheless a really enjoyable read.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Still moment-to-moment vaguely enjoyable, still thoroughly dull

Top Bottom