• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2013)

ShaneB

So... my top five favourite books I've read this year are as follows. It pains me to leave off some books from here, but the top 4 were really set in stone. Everything about them resonated with me when I read them, and had a lasting effect. I admit I have a terrible memory, and when I look at all the books I've read this year, I can barely remember a good portion of them, but these always stuck out. These have characters that I remember, emotions I felt while reading, that feeling of having truly loving the story and connecting with the characters involved. These books do share a lot in common, heavily dealing with underdog stories, and overcoming self doubt and being truly brave to be yourself (I guess the Expanse series is exempt from these).

1. Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. This is a beautiful book, and something I'm sure everyone is sick of me recommending. I cried and cried and cried during this, and am proud to say that. This is a special book. “You have to be the bravest person in the world to go out every day, being yourself when no one likes who you are.”

2. 600 Hours of Edward (and the sequel Edward Adrift). This was a gem I found during a Kindle Daily deal, and was very glad I did. As I stated in my original review, I connected a lot to what Edward was going through, and I didn't hold back the tears. "Edward, I love you. I am proud of you."

3. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. It made me feel like this
smiley_face_sticker-rc26779d5e99d4f7e8f9359e8a97ee0f0_v9waf_8byvr_50.jpg
Not much else needs to be said about this, I loved it. "I was brave and I wrote a book and that means I can do anything."

4. Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse series). Book 2 and 3 also included here. Probably the odd books out in my list, but this was a great introduction to a new Sci-Fi world I have fallen in love with. I realized this clicked on a lot of levels for me, whereas most science fiction can feel very intimidating with so much world building. Great characters, and the smaller scope at first does make for a very accessible read and very engaging. Love the crew of the Rocinante and the characters introduced over each book. "“Violence is what people do when they run out of good ideas.”

5. A Prayer For Owen Meany. Picking number 5 on this was definitely the hardest, and while I was reading it, I was near sure it would not end up on here. After finishing it however, I realized it has exactly what it needs to be on here. Characters I will never forget. Owen Meany is unforgettable and for that alone it deserves this spot. “I want to go on being a student," I told him. "I want to be a teacher. I'm just a reader," I said.

"DON'T SOUND SO ASHAMED," he said. "READING IS A GIFT."

"I learned it from you," I told him.

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE YOU LEARNED IT- IT'S A GIFT. IF YOU CARE ABOUT SOMETHING, YOU HAVE TO PROTECT IT. IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND A WAY OF LIFE YOU LOVE, YOU HAVE TO FIND THE COURAGE TO LIVE IT.”

AxeMan

I've been lurking this thread for a while but never had anything to contribute.....until now

I've just started this
13235961.jpg

Jack Glass

I'm not sure how I feel about it at the moment. Seems to be taking a while to get moving and has spent most of it's time on character development that I get the feeling is going to be wasted

Mannequin

I got a Kindle for Christmas and the first book I bought for it was King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild, as it was recommended by a few in old threads and I wanted to learn more about the subject.

tauroxd

I'm reading Superman:Red Son and I am not sure why people like this. It makes pathetic characters out of Lois, Wonder Woman, and Batman. What is Batman even trying to accomplish? Anarchy? gtfo. The concept itself captured my imagination but the story keeps knocking me back to the real world. None of this makes sense to me.

Well I think it's because it takes something that at least I have never seen done, a very interesting What If... The execution maybe wasn't perfect but it did something different, I guess.

Snowdrift

Just started Under Heaven - Guy Gavriel Kay.

I hit my reading goal for the year. Finished 14 books and was aiming for 10.
b41R2HO.png

I also started Snow Crash and All Clear but lost interest and didn't finish them.

aparisi2274

I got this for Christmas. Has anyone read it? I hadn't heard of it but it seems really interesting with the pullouts and margin notes.

I got it for Christmas too... I read about 10 pgs and it seems cool.. I am still trying to figure out the best way to attack it. Do I read the author's work first, then all the liner notes and inserts after I am done with the page, or do I read the story and the liner notes at the same time..

So far though, it is the coolest book I've ever owned, and I know I'll really enjoy it once I get a pattern in place for reading all the notes inside it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Finished the second piece of my look at The Left Hand of Darkness:

Ekostories - The Left Hand of Darkness: Nature, Culture, and the Other

Rereading one of my fav pieces of non-fiction:

The Log from the Sea of Cortez by John Steinbeck

The Log from the Sea of Cortez said:
“[...] it is a strange thing that most of the feeling we call religious, most of the mystical outcrying which is one of the most prized and used and desired reactions of our species, is really the understanding and the attempt to say that man is related to the whole thing, related inextricably to all reality, known and unknowable. This is a simple thing to say, but the profound feeling of it made a Jesus, a St. Augustine, a St. Francis, a Roger Bacon, a Charles Darwin, and an Einstein. Each of them in his own tempo and with his own voice discovered and reaffirmed with astonishment the knowledge that all things are one thing and that one thing is all things—plankton, a shimmering phosphorescence on the sea and the spinning planets and an expanding universe, all bound together by the elastic string of time. It is advisable to look from the tide pool to the stars and then back to the tide pool again.”

So good.

I got this for Christmas. Has anyone read it? I hadn't heard of it but it seems really interesting with the pullouts and margin notes.

I'm reading this as well. Just finished the first chapter. It doesn't grab you right from the start but it's drawing me in more and more as I go.

fakefaker

Just finished up Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie and thought it was a pretty damn amazing book. If you can get pass the first 75-80 pages, you're in for an awesome experience and well thought out universe. The sequel can't come soon enuff.

Now I'm gonna take a break from the sci fi/fantasy genres and hit a classic in The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk.

12286372.jpg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bought this just now for my kindle:

was just put on daily deals for 1.99, premise sounds like x-men.

will dive into it when I finish Shift (currently just finished the Second Shift)

also why are The Dresden Files books so goddamn expensive (for digital), 8.95 for Book 2 of the series. Jesuschrist.

AxeMan

I also started Snow Crash .

I read Snow Crash earlier this year due to some recommendations.
It was....interesting.

I struggled to connect with any character and the story seemed a little disjointed (for want of a better word).

Overall I'm glad I read it

rohnjambo

Neo Member
Crime and Punishment.

i'm trying to get through all of the classics. but I have to say, this book is very intriguing. that's probably the best description i can give thus far.

ShaneB

Someone gifted me The First Phone Call From Heaven.

Anyone have thoughts?

The premise sounded interesting enough to me, but apparently the author panders to the Grandma/Grandpa crowd?? So I'm not sure. I had a similar experience when I read "The Returned" earlier this year, interesting premise that was completely awful and was more for that "grandma/grandpa" crowd.

Necrovex

I'm almost done with Rubicon, and I plan to read Quiet American during next month's Book Club.

But I am looking at "Perks of Being a Wallflower." The movie is in my top ten list for all-time favorite films, so I am wondering how the original source holds up. Would anyone fill me in? I want to start the year off with some good fiction.

Piecake

Ive decided to read some more history, and when I say more, i mean ALL of it (not really).

But I am starting at the 'beginning'

Interesting so far since I think the only thing I learned about Ancient Near East history was that Sumerians invented writing and Hammurabi had a law code. That was about it. Very textbooky (not surprising), so hopefully my next book in my list has a bit more narrative flair. I am definitely interested to read more about the Assyrians and the End of the Bronze age Cataclysm thanks to hardcore history. Not quite there yet though

From the description it looks like itll be more narrative and less textbook, so thats good. Also, there sure are a hell of a lot of history books titled the Rise and Fall of "whatever".

fakefaker

Just bought This book is Full of Spiders by Wong, and just curious if I need to first one, John dies at the End, or if it's no biggie. The spiders told me to ask...

Finally finished The Stand. It dragged a bit about halfway through, but for such a long book, it held my interest really well. I definitely loved the characters. Looking forward to reading some more from Stephen King. This was only my second book (the first being 11/22/63).

First, I am going to read 600 Hours of Edward, which I picked up during the Kindle Daily deal yesterday.

X-Frame

So I finished Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan, and definitely enjoyed it. Felt the characterization was a bit off though, especially Tamas for some reason. Best character was Ka-poel by miles though, hoping to read more about her in future books from him.

15790883.jpg

Now, I've started one of my most anticipated books, and am already through Chapter 6 in 24 hours, and loving it so far! What a way to end 2013 and start 2014.

Way+of+Kings.jpg

hythloday

Now, I've started one of my most anticipated books, and am already through Chapter 6 in 24 hours, and loving it so far! What a way to end 2013 and start 2014.

That book is awesome. When I finished it, I gave serious consideration to going back to Page 1 and starting over.

I finished American Gods. Really enjoyed it.

Torn at what to read next. The Aquariums of Pyongyang seems really interesting, and I loved Nothing to Envy and Escape from Camp 14. However, I'd have to buy it or go to the library, and I already have a backlog of at least 15 e-books I want to make a dent in before I get something new.

Case in point: today I saw Driftless by David Rhodes for 1.99 on Kindle Daily Deals, and it looked interesting enough that I searched for it on B&N to see if they had it on sale too (sometimes they discount the same books at the same time, and I have a Nook). Then I went through my Nook library and saw I already had the damn book downloaded, because B&N had it as a free download months ago as one of their 'Free Fridays' selections.

Damn backlog.

Nymerio

I've finished Sharp Objects yesterday. Overall I liked Gone Girl best, followed by Sharp Objects and then Dark Places.

I'm thinking about reading the Wheel of Time series, can anyone tell me if it's worth it? I don't really have any high demands and there have only been a handful of books I really disliked so if they aren't bad I'd probably be able to enjoy them.

tauroxd

Just bought This book is Full of Spiders by Wong, and just curious if I need to first one, John dies at the End, or if it's no biggie. The spiders told me to ask...

You need the first one, I mean it's not that you won't get anything in the book if you don't get the first, pero it's a sequel and Wong mentions many events from the first book. And you will know the origins from the characters by reading John dies at the end, and anyway, I think John dies and the end is a good book, and This book is Full of Spiders gets better.

I've finished Sharp Objects yesterday. Overall I liked Gone Girl best, followed by Sharp Objects and then Dark Places.

I'm thinking about reading the Wheel of Time series, can anyone tell me if it's worth it? I don't really have any high demands and there have only been a handful of books I really disliked so if they aren't bad I'd probably be able to enjoy them.
Re Wheel of Time, I read the first six or so and it was starting to drag significantly. From everything I've heard books 7-10 are a complete slog and then it picks back up. I'm considering reading the whole mess myself, even going back and re-reading the ones I read 20+ years ago.

Ushiwaka

I'm reading Dan Brown's Inferno. As a fan of his books, I gotta say, Inferno is a little... predictable... but still a good read.

Nymerio

Re Wheel of Time, I read the first six or so and it was starting to drag significantly. From everything I've heard books 7-10 are a complete slog and then it picks back up. I'm considering reading the whole mess myself, even going back and re-reading the ones I read 20+ years ago.

Yeah, that's about what I keep hearing. I guess I'll just have to jump in.

Yeah, that's about what I keep hearing. I guess I'll just have to jump in.
The first 3-4 will really grab you. It's a shame the middle became so muddled. Frankly I've got the same concern for ASOIAF. GRRM needs to tighten this shit up and bring it home
before he dies like Jordan.

Nymerio

The first 3-4 will really grab you. It's a shame the middle became so muddled. Frankly I've got the same concern for ASOIAF. GRRM needs to tighten this shit up and bring it home
before he dies like Jordan.

Would you compare the middle books to AFFC/ADWD? Because I actually enjoyed those.

Top Bottom