• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2012)

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just finished "The Well of Ascension", the 2nd book in the Mistborn trilogy...and I'm moving onto the final book now!

It's weird. I've been pretty outwardly against reading books in the past, but I'm devouring this series with the greatest of ease...finding excuses to not do other things so I can keep reading more and more. Such a great series so far.

Onto the last book, "The Hero of Ages":

Hero20of20Ages.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The trick is to figure out who gives good recs (*cough* FnordChan and aidan *cough*), and then just stalk them.

Other than goodreads where does everyone find their book recommendations?

I need a something more in depth with its parameters. I'm looking for novels with female leads who are not portrayed as the dumb sex object and conversely not portrayed as the mannish tomboy.

At Cyan's command, you might want to give Among Others by Jo Walton and The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht a look. Both feature great female leads, are somewhat contemporary (70s and 80s, respectively) and light fantastical elements. If those tickle your fancy, also check out Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht. It features a male lead, but it's a fantasy set amidst the Troubles in 70s Ireland. Terrific read.

At Cyan's command, you might want to give Among Others by Jo Walton and The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht a look. Both feature great female leads, are somewhat contemporary (70s and 80s, respectively) and light fantastical elements. If those tickle your fancy, also check out Of Blood and Honey by Stina Leicht. It features a male lead, but it's a fantasy set amidst the Troubles in 70s Ireland. Terrific read.

Knocked it out of the park, Thank you. Just ordered "Among Others" and have the others on my wishlist.
Thanks for the help everyone.

9780312854287.jpg

Had to pull myself away from Amalur last night to get back into this, but loving it (spoilers)
Egwene was just raised to the Amyrlin Seat. The next chapter is called "When Battle Begins". Shit is getting real!

Booties

Banned
9780312854287.jpg

Had to pull myself away from Amalur last night to get back into this, but loving it (spoilers)
Egwene was just raised to the Amyrlin Seat. The next chapter is called "When Battle Begins". Shit is getting real!
Literally came here to post that I finished "For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Earnest Hemmingway. The protagonist's name is Robert Jordan. Ill probably start either the scarlet letter or a Tom Robbins novel after Valentine's day.

Hunterchief117

Neo Member
Betrayal%28LOF%29.jpg

Just started Star Wars Legacy of the Force Betrayal. Legacy is the only era I haven't read through, so I'm really looking forward to where they take the series.

braves01

Banned
The Name of the Rose is an amazing book. I have a bunch of Eco's stuff that I haven't started yet. Keep us updated on The Prague Cemetery.

You didn't like Libra?

I liked Libra a lot actually, especially coming off 11/22/63, since it was a much more humanizing portrayal of Oswald. King's Oswald is pretty much an a-hole who beats the crap of Marina except for a few places where the narrator shows some sympathy (and even then it's mostly for Marina and June). Oswald's much more central to DeLillo's story, so naturally he's much more fleshed out. He's still deeply flawed, no doubt, but it's much easier to see him as a whole person rather than just the guy who assassinated the president. I'm still amazed that he was only 24. Although, Jared Loughner (middle name: Lee) was only 23, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

For those interested in The Prague Cemetary, there's an interesting note on its Amazon page:

Dear Amazon Readers:

The nineteenth century teemed with mysterious and horrible events: the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, the notorious forgery that later inspired Hitler; the Dreyfus Case; and numerous intrigues involving the secret services of various nations, Masonic sects, Jesuit conspiracies, as well as other episodes that—were they not documented truths—would be difficult to believe.

The Prague Cemetery is a story in which all the characters except one—the main character—really existed. Even the hero’s grandfather, the author of a mysterious actual letter that triggered modern anti- Semitism, is historical.

And the hero himself, though fictional, is a personage who resembles many people we have all known, past and present. In the book, he serves as the author of diverse fabrications and plots against a backdrop of extraordinary coups de théâtre: sewers filled with corpses, ships that explode in the region of an erupting volcano, abbots stabbed to death, notaries with fake beards, hysterical female Satanists, the celebrants of black Masses, and so on.

I am expecting two kinds of readers. The first has no idea that all these things really happened, knows nothing about nineteenth-century literature, and might even have taken Dan Brown seriously. He or she should gain a certain sadistic satisfaction from what will seem a perverse invention—including the main character, whom I have tried to make the most cynical and disagreeable in all the history of literature.

The second, however, knows or senses that I am recounting things that really happened. The fact that history can be quite so devious may cause this reader’s brow to become lightly beaded with sweat. He will look anxiously behind him, switch on all the lights, and suspect that these things could happen again today. In fact, they may be happening in that very moment. And he will think, as I do: "They are among us…"

--Umberto Eco

I suppose I'm the first type of reader, knowing little about 19th cent. literature (Dumas figures prominently in the novel) and enjoying Dan Brown books (but not taking them seriously). Also, the main is character is, indeed, cynical and disagreeable.

Dresden

MK4a2.jpg

Got this today--hope it's good.

The novel's starting point is that a month has gone missing from the official record and from popular memory in a China which bestrides the globe economically, right down to owning Starbucks. Something terrible took place during the vanished month, but the regime, through nefarious means that are only revealed at the end of the novel, has managed to effect a state of near total forgetfulness.

The central character, Old Chen, sets out to find what happened and to understand why everybody is so extraordinarily happy, as he himself is at the start of the book, living in Happiness Village Number Two, and content in the realisation that China has enjoyed continuing growth and ever greater social harmony while the west has wilted after the economic tsunami of 2008.

Ceebs

I'd prefer non YA or children's,but if you think its worth a shot anyway then I wouldn't mind reading them.

I would rather it be contemporary but other than that I'm open to all genres,barring non fiction of course.

I know you said no YA stuff, but Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett is a must. It's an absolutely fantastic book no matter your age.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Finished up with Monster Hunter Alpha..think its the best of the series so far..love it when a book just grabs hold of ya and you can't sleep till its done.

Moving on to Lies of Locke Lamora..
865293.jpg

Has a nice flow and charm right from the beginning, about an hour in and I'm more interested in Locke's story then I was in Kvothes story at the beginning of the Name of the Wind(which I did like quite abit).
Seems to have a general feeling of whimsical mischievousness to it. Seems like its gonna be an enjoyable read.

By the way, if you've never read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, you should definitely get on that. It's a WONDERFUL book, probably one of the best that I've read, especially the way that it captures and transports you to a bygone era - not through the sort of rote description that so often bogs books down, but by sharing with us what those things meant to the characters, allowing us to make those sorts of connections ourselves.

Ceebs

Starting this one:

The-Angels-Game.jpg

I am sure it will not be anywhere close to The Shadow of the Wind, but I enjoyed that one so much it's time to give the guys' other stuff a shot.

Dresden

Please do let us know. Was alerted to this the other day, but also read the translation is a bit rough around the edges. I'm interested in this style so it doesn't deter me much.

Got through about half of it tonight, would've finished it if I had the time. It's pretty good, and reminds me of Murakami's stuff; a quirk of the translation maybe, considering how the two write in different languages and all that. It's a very soft dystopia, one that seems all the more plausible because of it.

I'm not wowed or anything, but I'm enjoying it.

Meteorain

Dead Beat - Jim Butcher (Book 7 of the Dresden Files)

Thoroughly in love with this series at the moment, read 3 of the books in one flight and a layover for a connecting flight (about 14hrs in total)!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Finished yesterday:

51KuImU5FmL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A good but not great spy novel. It's clear the author did a *lot* of research, but I really didn't need to be told every single street the protagonist passed through. Besides that, you got a good feel for living in Nazi Germany just before the invasion of Czechoslovakia and Poland. The book lacked scenes that made the reader sit up, it just wasn't very gripping and exciting. It lacked the "I gotta finish the chapter OMG" rush completely.

Now reading (this exact edition):

519DVK3lh9L._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Karakand

The 1978 British miniseries of TTSS does a helluva job of putting the book onto film. Obviously there's a lot they can't cover, but it's a very faithful adaptation overall. However, what really makes the miniseries is that Alec Guinness is simply perfect as George Smiley, the aging spymaster brought back from retirement to catch a mole in the heart of the British intelligence agency. If you decided you wanted to watch an adaptation of TTSS rather than reading it, that's the one to go with, with the caveat that it's not what you would call fast paced television.

Honorable mention for casting Patrick Stewart and giving him no dialog. In two whole miniseries.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Decided to finish this after all -

U9IQ1.jpg

Not bad, liked it a bit more than American Psycho I think. Much less repetitiveness and filler. May have liked American Psycho more if it was 100-200 pages shorter. Not sure if I want to pick up Less Than Zero or not.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
BRIEF INTERVIEWS WITH HIDEOUS MEN by david foster wallace.

273406757_987ef827d7.jpg

i've been reading a lot of dfw lately. essays and articles, mostly. this was my first experience with his fiction, and though i started out sort of mixed on the first fiftyish pages, i got into the groove of the book and it ended so strong. it's incredible what a wide variance in styles there are here, and what dfw accomplishes in form. his deconstruction of the structure of his writing, and his ability to cut through bullshit and point to hard truths about people is so refreshing and powerful.

one question though: can anybody who's read the book help me understand the section titled "CHURCH NOT MADE WITH HANDS"?

ff5cc0a398a059887c07f110L_SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm reading it faster than I expected. I liked the First Law trilogy but maybe because this is a stand alone, the pace seems a lot faster and narrative tighter.

Dresden

Currently reading Okinawa: The History of an Island People

A bit off-topic, what can one expect to get for selling off hardcover books these days? Was offered around $20 for GAFs favorite Sword of truth series and don't know whether to laugh at that or jump on it. FYI, looking to move my collection into ebooks.

Depends on where you sell it. Bookstores are going to give you pennies for every dollar you spent. More if you ebay it or whatever, but even then you aren't going to get more than three, four bucks unless the book is rare, out of print, etc.

$20 is a good deal, especially for Goodkind.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
At my dad's insistence, I'm reading

tsUxO.jpg

The Lost Gate - Orson Scott Card

Bout 150 pages in. It's an enjoyable read, but nothing special. None of Card's stuff does much for me outside of the Ender/Shadow series. The Lost Gate would probably be a bit more enjoyable if I wasn't already spoiled by Gaiman when it comes to Modern/Urban Fantasy. But, my dad loves Card's stuff to death so he kept on insisting that I should read it.

I'm looking for a couple books to read, and currently have these three in my cart on Amazon. Should I go through with it?

John Dies at the End - David Wong
Neuromancer - William Gibson
The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1) - Brandon Sanderson

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
At my dad's insistence, I'm reading

tsUxO.jpg

The Lost Gate - Orson Scott Card

Bout 150 pages in. It's an enjoyable read, but nothing special. None of Card's stuff does much for me outside of the Ender/Shadow series. The Lost Gate would probably be a bit more enjoyable if I wasn't already spoiled by Gaiman when it comes to Modern/Urban Fantasy. But, my dad loves Card's stuff to death so he kept on insisting that I should read it.

I'm looking for a couple books to read, and currently have these three in my cart on Amazon. Should I go through with it?

Skip Neuromancer. Very overrated book. It jumpstarted a new SF genre, but 20 years later it's just silly. Faux noir. Awkward language. Weak plot.

Kuraudo

Banned
BRIEF INTERVIEWS WITH HIDEOUS MEN by david foster wallace.

273406757_987ef827d7.jpg

i've been reading a lot of dfw lately. essays and articles, mostly. this was my first experience with his fiction, and though i started out sort of mixed on the first fiftyish pages, i got into the groove of the book and it ended so strong. it's incredible what a wide variance in styles there are here, and what dfw accomplishes in form. his deconstruction of the structure of his writing, and his ability to cut through bullshit and point to hard truths about people is so refreshing and powerful.

one question though: can anybody who's read the book help me understand the section titled "CHURCH NOT MADE WITH HANDS"?

Been a while since I read it and most of it went over my head, but I took it to be about how numbed the mind becomes after a personal tragedy, so much so that it can't really focus on important events and instead gets distracted by tiny details and loses track of time. Wallace was trying to capture and evoke the protagonist's disorientation and disconnection after the loss of his (the protagonist's) daughter.

Really excellent collection of stories. Octet and the final Brief Interview blew my mind when I first read them.

JaCy

NZeKw.jpg

About 100 pages in and so far I am enjoying it a lot more than FotR. Which I still can't get past the first dozen pages.

hamchan

Whenever Brandon Sanderson pops up I always have to recommend him. Keep him in your cart.

Mumei

Currently reading The Complete Short Stories of Marcel Proust. Last week, I read Shakespeare's Wordcraft by Scott Kaiser and The Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan.

I have the Norton Anthology of Children's Literature on-hold at the moment.

Current:

1770405.jpg

Finished:

561456.jpg

699378.jpg

Karakand

Is The Lemoine Affair in that Proust anthology? I think the Melville House overpriced novella is the only time it's been translated into English but I always hold out hope it's in a collected edition somewhere.

Mumei

Is The Lemoine Affair in that Proust anthology? I think the Melville House overpriced novella is the only time it's been translated into English but I always hold out hope it's in a collected edition somewhere.

'fraid not, unfortunately.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Been a while since I read it and most of it went over my head, but I took it to be about how numbed the mind becomes after a personal tragedy, so much so that it can't really focus on important events and instead gets distracted by tiny details and loses track of time. Wallace was trying to capture and evoke the protagonist's disorientation and disconnection after the loss of his (the protagonist's) daughter.

Really excellent collection of stories. Octet and the final Brief Interview blew my mind when I first read them.

very astute read on that! thank you.

i also loved "octet" and the last interview. "the depressed person" is also just devastating, don't you think?

dfw <3

About ten years ahead of you, brosef. :p (Well, not really...)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was my pick in a favorite book thread we had recently, iirc. Read it in 8th grade, didn't like it (what can I say - 12yo me had poor taste!), then came back to it last year and completely turned around.

It's the best example of the genre of "slice-of-life" that I can think of in any medium. Every sweet, sad, musty little detail brings meaning and richness to the world and its characters, as opposed to plaguing it with excessive listing syndrome. It's so wonderful.

I teared up a bit when
Johnny died.
What's especially great about the book is the way that the prose evolves as the character ages, a subtle touch to encourage subsequent readings every few years or so.

Neuromancer is one of my favorite books of all time. Yes the text can be quite dense at times but it's a scifi classic, invented the genre cyberpunk, and it's a great heist story to boot. I've read it probably 10 times.

Neuromancer is one of my favorite books of all time. Yes the text can be quite dense at times but it's a scifi classic, invented the genre cyberpunk, and it's a great heist story to boot. I've read it probably 10 times.

never would have guessed! I just finished it yesterday, I really liked it but I definitely need another read through. I feel like I skimmed through some of the more difficult sections of the book, and now that I know and understand more, everything will sink in

TCRS

Banned
Finished The Darkness That Comes Before by Scott Bakker. I loved it! The characterisation is just amazing. It's so deep and philosophical, really brilliant. I've never read anything like this and I've never read 200 pages of a book in one day, not even ASOIAF! I was so hooked.

The story itself is good as well. It's more of a vehicle for Bakker to continue developing his characters (which is not a bad thing) and is clearly inspired by the Crusades (= the Holy War). The Fanim are the Muslims (they even waged a White Jihad against another faction so that's pretty clear). The Inrithi are the western countries although with an eastern flavour. Ikurei Conphas and Ikurei Xerius... Byzantine? Maithanet the Shria = Pope, Shimeh = Jerusalem, Scylvendi = Mongolians.

The northern part of the story with the extinct Anasurimbor High Kings and the No God etc. seems to be more LotR inspired. And added to the mix are the Schools.

But yeah, the main thing are the characters (Kellhus, Cnaiur, Achamian, Esmenet etc).

On a side note: Throughout the reading of this book I listened to Brave New World by Iron Maiden which complimented the atmosphere very well imo.

Can't wait to read The Warrior Prophet (it should have been here by now... Royal Mail grrr!)

The_Warrior-Prophet_UK.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Crud. I just want Brandon Sanderson to finish it so he can write the Way of Kings sequel faster.

He has finished it. Towers of Midnight was rushed out the door and neither Tor (the publisher) nor Harriet (Jordan's wife and now overseer of the series) were happy about some of the sloppiness, mistakes an typos that went along with the rush job. They want to ensure that this doesn't happen with A Memory of Light, which accounts for the 'delay.'

ultron87

Crud. I just want Brandon Sanderson to finish it so he can write the Way of Kings sequel faster.

I want that sequel so bad.

I really do need to check out his WoT books at some point. I have had the hardcover of Gathering Storm for forever, but I just haven't had the wherewithal to pick that monstrosity up. Honestly I'll probably just re-buy it on Kindle if I'm ever going to read it.

Maybe once I finish Revelation Space.

effzee

About to finish the Hunger Games. Before that read all 7 of the Harry Potter books for the first time.

Any recommendations for similar type of books/series? In between grad school workload and full time job, I love reading something entertaining. Both the HP and HG series filled that need, even if they aren't considered to be literary masterpieces (Hunger Games mostly since I know Harry Potter is well regarded).

Should I start The Hobbit? I never enjoyed the LOTR movies since I never read the books and couldn't get as into it as everyone else.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
About to finish the Hunger Games. Before that read all 7 of the Harry Potter books for the first time.

Any recommendations for similar type of books/series? In between grad school workload and full time job, I love reading something entertaining. Both the HP and HG series filled that need, even if they aren't considered to be literary masterpieces (Hunger Games mostly since I know Harry Potter is well regarded).

Should I start The Hobbit? I never enjoyed the LOTR movies since I never read the books and couldn't get as into it as everyone else.

The Hobbit is great, and it's a much lighter read than LotR. There's also the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman (personally I found it to be rather boring and overrated, but ymmv), Neil Gaiman's Stardust which is just absolutely wonderful, the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke (the first book was the best IMO), Michael Ende's Neverending Story, Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (the first 1/3 - 1/2 of the book can be a bit dry though) and, if you don't mind some rehashing of ideas from Star Wars and LotR, the Inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini.

Top Bottom