• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2012)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
The older English makes it harder for me to enjoy. I know it sounds dumb, but diving right into his writing after not having read a book in a long time difficult.

And regarding King, I read the first four books of The Dark Tower and loved them (4th was his most captivating for me), but I couldn't get through the 5th. I tried reading Under The Dome, but something about it didn't jive with me. And I really have no interest in reading his books that were made into movies...Largely because having seen the movies, I won't really get the same experience I would had I never had the chance to see someone else's interpretation.
Have you seen the miniseries Salems Lot? ..it really was one of Kings greats, but if the show was before your time you might consider this one.

I really enjoyed the first 2 books of Guillermo Del Toro's The strain Trilogy.. a vampire zombie virus apocalyptic series.

...most great classic Horror Stories I can think of have been made into movies tho (The exorcist..Silence of the Lambs, I am Legend)

Dauntless by Jack Campbell
Incredibly contrived premise, but it's such a fun premise I can't hold it against the book. The MC is maybe a bit too perfect with his honor and all that, but he's fun to read about anyway.

Trouble is, now I have to go track down the other books.

I've forgotten who recommended this earlier, but: good rec!

Was me. On the 3rd book now. It gets better.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finished:

sKISR.jpg

To go with this post and this post, a quick review: the second half definitely picked up. Examples:
when he kills the kid at the zoo, he actually thinks a bit about the act, its relation to other killings, how "useless, how extraordinarily painless, it is to take a child's life." He's actually doing something except just murdering somebody and thinking about clothes. Also the part where he meets up with a girl from college, and later when he talks about cooking and eating a girl and being all introspective and starts crying, and later when he breaks up with Evelyn. The increased craziness, lack of total coldness, and near complete drop off of him noticing every bit of clothing everybody else wears actually provides a bit of character development that wasn't there in the first half of the book.

Verdict: my copy of the book was 400 pages. It's overall a good enough read, but it would be significantly better IMO if I had read pages 1-100 and 200-400, skipping that second quarter where basically nothing at all happens that didn't happen in the first quarter. It really did seem to pick up almost exactly at page 200, strangely enough.

ultron87

Finished up The Black Prism.

200px-TheBlackPrism_cover.jpg

It took awhile to get going but the last half is pretty entertaining.

It was super stock fantasy until you find out that *big spoiler*
Gavin is actually Dazen.
Then it gets fairly interesting even if the obvious series protagonist is a little blah. Also, I wish they had expanded on how Drafting works a bit more. As bad as straight explanation can sometimes be someone just going "here is what each color does" would've been appreciated.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
45252.jpg

So, I started this because the introduction was really entertaining and right up my alley. I can tell there is a really interesting story in here but Hamilton seems more busy describing every bush in any character's vicinity than on the actual story. No wonder this thing is 1000~ pages.

If anyone's ever read it, I'm up to the part with Justine flying a kite-thing in a storm. This chapter has made me want to give up on the book. Does it get better? The other stories seem great so far but it's such a task to get through them.

Know going in that that there is no semblance of closure at the end of the first book: Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained are basically one big 2,000 page book.

There are so many characters getting thrown at you in the early to mid part of the first book it can get to be a bit of a slog. I could imagine it being quite hard to get too invested when it's switching cast and settings so often, though I didn't personally think it was TOO bad.

Pandora's Star took me a full month to read, and Judas Unchained only took me half a month, and I even read Pandora's Star during December when I had a lot of holiday time off from work. Judas Unchained does get quite frantic near the end as Maklershed mentions, and Pandora's Star gets going pretty damn quickly in the last quarter or so as well. If you make it to the end of Pandora's Star, Judas Unchained will be a great payoff IMO.

The only thing that kept me from going back through Pandora's Star once I finished the series, even with it being the slog that it is, was my huge backlog. It's one of those things that could be really interesting and worth it if you know in the first book what you knew by the end of the second.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Have you seen the miniseries Salems Lot? ..it really was one of Kings greats, but if the show was before your time you might consider this one.

I really enjoyed the first 2 books of Guillermo Del Toro's The strain Trilogy.. a vampire zombie virus apocalyptic series.

...most great classic Horror Stories I can think of have been made into movies tho (The exorcist..Silence of the Lambs, I am Legend)

I don't think I saw Salems Lot. I may check it out.

Another request (while I continue to do research on horror options): any good paranormal/alien/x-file esque novels out there?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Finally diving into one of my Christmas presents. Never really read any Lovecraft so I'm pretty excited.
HPPodcraft is a great literary podcast that you might enjoy listening to while reading these stories. They've gone thru just about ever story at this point, and are simply fantastic to listen to while reading the stories.
http://hppodcraft.com/
Its made reading the classics for me a much more enjoyable experience since I didn't have anyone IRL that was interested in these stories.

braves01

Banned
Finished up Libra by Don DeLillo and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I especially liked the Eco, which had great philosophical discussion about knowledge and the history of the Church, yet still satisfied my base desire for another Dan Brown novel. In fact, I liked it so much that I decided to start The Prague Cemetery, which I like even more so far (about 125 pp. in).

the-prague-cemetery.jpg

Kola

Finished up Libra by Don DeLillo and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I especially liked the Eco, which had great philosophical discussion about knowledge and the history of the Church, yet still satisfied my base desire for another Dan Brown novel. In fact, I liked it so much that I decided to start The Prague Cemetery, which I like even more so far (about 125 pp. in).

You should also give "Foucault's pendulum" a chance, I think you might like it.

eattomorro

Neo Member
I'm reading The Girl Who Played with Fire at the moment. It really picks up steam about 1/3rd of the way in.

Thats good to hear, I'm around page 60 and the setup is interesting but things are just a weeeee bit dry. I guess that's his style eh?

Ratrat

Reading Judas Unchained and it feels equally slow as Pandoras Star. I dislike a lot of the characters, especially Mellanie whose presence reminds me of Vanille in ff13. That being said like the last book it gets addicting once things get fleshed out and start to make sense.

Also got The Lost Fleet: Dauntless. Thanks Bill Murray!

Bazza

Half way through Dance with Dragons now, i almost don't want to finish it though as it may be a little time till the next book is released.

siddhu33

200px-Memories_of_Ice.jpg

This book is extremely good! Loved the first two, and really getting myself into this.

They are talking about captain Paran now! He's my favourite character in the story

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Did someone just mention Dan Brown and Umberto Eco in the same sentence? :O
kidding, sort of :p

I liked Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained quite a lot. As said, once they get going they really get going!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I think you can get some H.P. Lovecraft for cheap on Kindle if you want some psychological horror.

Lovecraft is public domain now. There's a good collection of his complete works on Kindle for a dollar, which is also available for free on the website of the woman that compiled it.

Mangotron

I read through The Hunger Games series last week. They'll probably make decent movies, but if they weren't so short I probably wouldn't have finished them. Incredibly poor pacing and predictable story.

Starting The Jungle today, I think I'm going to like it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Welp after slogging thru The Magicians,I needed something fun to listen to.
So decided to get back to the Monster Hunter series

Monster-Hunter-Alpha-Correia-Larry-9781439134580.jpg

About half way thru now, and its just great fun. This books focus is on the 100 year old Leader of MHI Earl Harbinger instead of Owen from the first 2 books.
Earl Happens to be a werewolf and one of the few monsters with an exemption from the government as long as he stays on the straight and narrow.

Series reminds me of Angel/Hellboy ..crew of monster hunters out to the save the world. Love that Larry has incorporated Lovecraftian Great Old Ones in so well.

KingGondo

Banned
FINALLY finished 11/22/63.

Definitely liked it better than Duma Key, although I wish King could resist the impulse to insert a hokey love story into every single book he does.

The alternate future was pretty trippy, too--although it didn't feel entirely plausible, even in King's version of reality. The ending redeemed the love story somewhat, and the leadup to Jake preventing the assassination was very exciting and suspenseful.

Moving on to one of the following next:

The Name of the Wind (got about 25% into it about a year ago, haven't touched it since)
Battle Cry of Freedom (that Atlantic Civil War photo gallery thread really made me want to finally read a comprehensive Civil War history)
Under the Dome (I'm a bit burned out on King, though)
1Q84 (it's been a while since I've read any Murakami, and it would be a nice change of pace)

While I'm deciding which novel to tackle next, I'll be reading the 7th hardback collection of The Walking Dead and the 6th hardback collection of Invincible.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Yeah, I was hoping to get some ideas for non-Lovecraft horror at first. Like I said, it's great, but it an be a bit thick.

Try John Ajvide Lindquist's 'Let the Right One in'. It's not purely horror, really. It's basically a story about a relationship between a young boy and a vampire. Also, you should read E. A. Poe.

Just started A. C. Doyle's 'The Complete Sherlock Holmes'.

Gonna finish up The Hobbit after I had stopped reading it a couple weeks back, I'm exactly 57% done with it and I'm digging the shit out of it.

But..... Has anyone read "The Lost City of Z: Tale of Deadly Obssession in The Amazon" by David Grann? Just saw this at my local Barnes and it sounds very intriguing. Would love to hear any impressions.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Started The Rules of Attraction and then decided I kind of don't care. Not sure what I'll read instead, maybe The Magicians/The Magician King.

Heel

I realize I'm asking readers here, but...

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
The Maltese Falcon

Watch them or read them?

FnordChan

I realize I'm asking readers here, but...

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
The Maltese Falcon

Watch them or read them?

I'm ashamed to say that I can't really speak for The Maltese Falcon, but I can comment on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. First off, the TTSS novel is absolutely top notch, realistic spy fiction set in depths of the Cold War. Le Carre's writing captures the heart of his characters, the melancholy settings the spy trade takes place in, and the fear and uncertainty of espionage. I can't recommend it highly enough.

The 1978 British miniseries of TTSS does a helluva job of putting the book onto film. Obviously there's a lot they can't cover, but it's a very faithful adaptation overall. However, what really makes the miniseries is that Alec Guinness is simply perfect as George Smiley, the aging spymaster brought back from retirement to catch a mole in the heart of the British intelligence agency. If you decided you wanted to watch an adaptation of TTSS rather than reading it, that's the one to go with, with the caveat that it's not what you would call fast paced television.

Finally, there's the 2011 film version. I've seen it a couple of times now, and I have to say that if you were determined to condense TTSS down into a two hour film, Tomas Alfredson does about as good a job as is possible in trimming the story down to the basics. The production values of the flick are superior, with wonderful set design, costuming, and damn fine actors across the board, with Gary Oldman doing a damn fine job of playing George Smiley. However, a lot is lost from the novel, to the point where the film version of TTSS is a different beast entirely, a dense espionage thriller that alludes to, but doesn't have time to explore, the development of it's characters. Now, I think it's a fine film, but I'm glad that I saw it after having read the book first.

So, read the novel and/or watch the miniseries, then see the film.

FnordChan

Shiv47

I don't think I saw Salems Lot. I may check it out.

Another request (while I continue to do research on horror options): any good paranormal/alien/x-file esque novels out there?

If no one suggested Phil Rickman's December as a horror novel choice, check that out. It's out of print but available as an e-book. It's creepy as hell.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If no one suggested Phil Rickman's December as a horror novel choice, check that out. It's out of print but available as an e-book. It's creepy as hell.

Oh nice - I just did a quick bit of research and this sounds like a solid option. I'll check various eReader options to see where I can grab a sample and see how it feels.

The request for a good paranormal/alien/x-file esque novel is still up, too!

FairyD

I bought a farewell to arms after seeing the Simpsons last Sunday. It was 99 cents and I had nothing better to do. So far it's a really good book.

Heel

So, read the novel and/or watch the miniseries, then see the film.

Thanks for the input! Sounds like I'll have to do just that. I'm pretty ashamed I haven't seen or read The Maltese falcon either, haha. I have a feeling I'll get similar advice, though, as it seems to be at the top of a lot of reading and movie lists.

Mifune

Mehmber

The Name of the Rose is an amazing book. I have a bunch of Eco's stuff that I haven't started yet. Keep us updated on The Prague Cemetery.

You didn't like Libra?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
watch. the book is pretty good, though not hammet's best (red harvest or thin man)

The Thin Man, now that's an interesting question whether to see the movie or read the book.

Other than goodreads where does everyone find their book recommendations?

I need something more in depth with its parameters. I'm looking for novels with female leads who are not portrayed as the dumb sex object and conversely not portrayed as the mannish tomboy.

Other than goodreads where does everyone find their book recommendations?

I need a something more in depth with its parameters. I'm looking for novels with female leads who are not portrayed as the dumb sex object and conversely not portrayed as the mannish tomboy.

Goodreads, these threads, and friends are pretty much it for me. Any other requirements for your request? Are you open to young adult/children's books if they are good?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
The name of the rose by umberto eco, read it or watch it?

Im trying to read A Song of Ice and Fire - Vol. 4 (A feast for crows) that finally released in Brazil but I have just been so busy with work and I get home so tired that I dont feel like reading it.

I could force myselft but I want to enjoy the read. So Im gonna read a little every weekend.

Goodreads, these threads, and friends are pretty much it for me. Any other requirements for your request? Are you open to young adult/children's books if they are good?

I'd prefer non YA or children's,but if you think its worth a shot anyway then I wouldn't mind reading them.

I would rather it be contemporary but other than that I'm open to all genres,barring non fiction of course.

Seanspeed

Banned
Glad I'm back into books by sacrificing my gaming time...anyone else doing the same?
Yup. I keep wanting to play Skyrim, but its been losing the fight to this lately:

gIIVS.jpg

I'm enjoying the series quite a bit. I'm halfway through and I'm still completely unsure of where the story is heading, but I really like the writing and the characters.

As for The Girl Who Played With Fire, I dunno - I'd just watch the movie and read something more worthwhile. It adapts well to the movie format, so you wont be missing much by skipping the book. The first book was ok, but the second one just started to bore me. Its ok for a 2-hour sitdown and have it all play out, but I regret spending time reading it. Just a suggestion.

I'd prefer non YA or children's,but if you think its worth a shot anyway then I wouldn't mind reading them.

I would rather it be contemporary but other than that I'm open to all genres,barring non fiction of course.

Hmm...of the things I've read relatively recently that fits your requirements, what about The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood? It's a book specifically about gender and gender roles, but the main character/narrator definitely isn't a tomboy. She is objectified by certain characters in the book, but not by the reader. Not sure if it fits what you are looking for, but it's a really interesting book.

The trick is to figure out who gives good recs (*cough* FnordChan and aidan *cough*), and then just stalk them.

Thanks, I actually read Flashman based on one of your old posts, so I'll keep my eyes open.

Hmm...of the things I've read relatively recently that fits your requirements, what about The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood? It's a book specifically about gender and gender roles, but the main character/narrator definitely isn't a tomboy. She is objectified by certain characters in the book, but not by the reader. Not sure if it fits what you are looking for, but it's a really interesting book.

While it doesn't really fit my primary interest, it does look very intriguing.If I don't find something before Friday I'll read your recommendation,It deals with the issue at hand but I'm looking for something that has already been implemented and is not the focus.
Its hard to explain what I'm actually looking for but thanks for the suggestion.

Top Bottom