• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2011)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Quote said:
The Way of the Shadows. - I'm posting a picture of the french cover because the US cover is TERRIBLE and puts me off whenever I even think about it.
la-voie-des-ombres-1.jpg

I've never been much of a reader. I've read maybe a handful of books but I'm trying to change that. This is definitely filling my craving after playing Assassin's Creed II. So, yeah, I'm really enjoying it.

France has been producing some amazing covers lately.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished World War Z and absolutely loved it. Even if you're over the zombie craze, you should give it a chance. It's a quick read and fascinating how the author believes society would break down and reform. There's a lot of good ideas in the book that just kept me reading and wanting more.

Now I'm on to complete and utter trash... The Shattering by Christie Golden, the World of Warcraft: Cataclysm prelude. I'm only 20 pages in and man oh man I want to stab the editor of this book. Golden has a really interesting cadence in her writing that's easy to trip up on. She absolutely loves her thesaurus, as well. I'm looking forward to reading more of it because I'm a bit of a lore nerd.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Havent read anything in MONTHS!!! but i got a couple of autographed copies of this delivered yesterday. Only 95 or something pages long with pretty big text but i love the world he has created. You sort of felt jipped when he glossed over so much of Arlens life in the first book but if he keeps it up with these short stories then im down.

w2hwfb.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
SenseiJinx said:
(I'm not exactly sure ehy it being written 40 years ago should make the quality a surprise ot anything...)

Anyway, I read Dune for the firat time a few months ago as well. Really amazing book. Easily one of the deepest books I've read, and I think it even affected the way I look at the world on some levels.

Late to this, but the book incorporated ecology extensively at around the same time as the birth of the modern day environmental movement. Just thought the man was a little ahead of his time for putting together something like this when he did. :)

The Hour of the Dragon AKA Conan the Conqueror by Robert E. Howard. Great stuff.

drag3.jpg

If comics are allowed, then I've also been reading Shazam! Volume 1 (DC Archives).

Jerk

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
n355215.jpg

Typically brilliant characterization woven between several fictional days worth of well-constructed military action. Abercrombie explores the purpose of war, the illusion of most concepts surrounding heroism, and the tenuous nature of what, exactly, the right thing is. It's all very cynical and dry and filled with gorgeous anticlimax. Which only helps the moments of sentimentality resonate stronger, however tainted they may be by the pungent odor of reality. You have to be realistic about these things, after all.

The return to Styria next year is going to be something.

This has been released?!!!

Tim the Wiz said:
UK release was last week and US release is Feb 7. It's been available online since early this month, though. And it's in stock on Amazon right now, too.

Just went to buy this for kindle, only to find that it's more expensive than either the paperback or hardback versions - do publishers seriously expect people to pay above the odds just for the convenience of having a instantly delivered digital copy? Because, as much as I'd like to read Abercrombie's newest work, his publishers just priced themselves out of a sale.

Vox-Pop said:
anyone know were I can buy cheap used books online?

Is amazon marketplace the best place?

Amazon marketplace can offer great prices on many books, but it has the disadvantage that if you're buying multiple books from a merchant you can't get a shipping discount for the additional items. It's worth also looking at half.com which doesn't have this problem. alibris and abebooks are also large used book sites, though I haven't used them myself.

Finished this over tea this morning. I didn't like it when I started it, and I felt the same when I finished it. Not sure why I kept reading, as it's a pretty long book. I guess I kept hoping the story would get better.

It's an interesting take ont he vampire mythos, but the writing is just bad bad bad. I hate it when an author's motive for plot is so transparent to the reader.

The Greyfriar by Clay Griffith
The story is every bit as trite as the cover.

edit: I also find it annoying when it's hard to tell what exactly the title of a book is from the cover.

Bananakin

Finally finished Black House

10607.jpg

Here's the review I wrote on goodreads:

A solid read. Black House, the result of a collaboration between Stephen King and Peter Straub, is a sequel to their 1984 fantasy novel The Talisman. As far as I can recall these are the only collaborative novels I've ever read, and they both work surprisingly well. Perhaps keener eyes than mine could pick out which parts of the story were written by which author (supposedly they passed the story back and forth every 50-100 pages or so), but to me it flowed seamlessly. In the end I enjoyed Black House far more than it's predecessor though - somehow The Talisman never really engaged me like this book managed to. I think part of the reason is that Black House simply has a wider cast of more interesting characters. Creating great characters has always been a strength of King's, I feel, and he (along with Straub) shows it here. Unfortunately, crafting a satisfying ending has always been a notorious weakness of King's, and if Black House falls short in any regard, it's this. Decidedly anticlimactic, it almost seems as if the authors went out of their way to remove any possible sources of tension as the ending approached.

Regardless, it was an enjoyable story with strong characters, and well worth the read. And though I am usually reluctant to comment on writing style (pleading under-qualification), I have to say I really liked the narrative style of the book. The story was told largely through a self-aware, almost 4th-wall-breaking narrator, and somehow it really worked. The narrator sequences created a cool "tour-guide" vibe, as if the events of the novel were actually taking place, and we were simply being taken around to witness them. You could tell that the authors had fun writing those parts (and indeed, had fun writing the whole book). Clearly they work well together, and I look forward to reading the third book in the series, which is supposedly already in the works.

It's funny, at first I thought writing a review was kind of pointless, but I figured "Eh, what the hey, maybe someone else on facebook has read it." But then I found that writing up the review really helped clarify my thoughts on the book. I'll probably do this for all new books I read. If nothing else it'll be interesting to come back years later and see what I thought back then.

Next up: Machine of Death

Alucard said:
0beb124128a0a8d576c47010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's an odd mix of science fiction, post-apocalyptic underwater adventure, ecological commentary, and romance. I'm at the halfway mark (the book is just under 300 pages) and it's starting to pick up. I initially bought it because of cover art and because it was dirt cheap in a used book store, and I feel like I'm getting a good bit out of it. Check it out if you're into adventure, romance, and sci-fi. It's a bit stereotypical in parts, but it's still been a satisfying ride up to this point.

I liked On the Beach by Nevil Shute so this kind of seems like something up my alley. Thanks.

Also bought the Great Gatsby today. Heard it talked about and mentioned in Murakami's Norwegian Wood several times, but for the life of me I don't know a single thing about it. I'm in for a surprise fortunately.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Literature-GAF, I need your help. I'm after the name of a series of fantasy books, or the name of its author, that's been talked about a lot on GAF. I don't really remember much about it, except that it involved quite a lot of violence and rape (!), and quite a few of the main charachters suffered horrible deaths. Does this make a bell ring for any of you?

shift J

Combichristoffersen said:
Literature-GAF, I need your help. I'm after the name of a series of fantasy books, or the name of its author, that's been talked about a lot on GAF. I don't really remember much about it, except that it involved quite a lot of violence and rape (!), and quite a few of the main charachters suffered horrible deaths. Does this make a bell ring for any of you?

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin?

V_Arnold

200px-WoT09_WintersHeart.jpg

The turning point. The huge events in this book. Oh my god, one of my favorites. I just love the series so much. Cant wait to read the ones after this - as that was the part when I stopped reading the hungarian translations. The english original is so much better.

aidan

Finished:

the-dragons-path-by-daniel-abraham-200x300.jpg

The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham. More traditional than his previous series, but also much more accessible. I'll be shocked if this series doesn't land him the wider audience he deserves. Still, while it's got dragons and swordfights, it also has all the emotional resonance, politicking, economics and soft touches that I've come to expect from Abraham. Top notch.

Full review on my blog.

Now reading:

5140301466_5e026fec0a_b.jpg

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi

Light and easy reading so far, as I've come to expect from Scalzi. I've also come to expect that Scalzi's never going to match Old Man's War.

coldvein

Banned

i'm also thinking a song of ice and fire series, by george "R.R." martin. first book being Game of Thrones. read it!

Combichristoffersen

shift J said:
A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin?

coldvein said:
i'm also thinking a song of ice and fire series, by george "R.R." martin. first book being Game of Thrones. read it!

Thanks, and I do think it's actually the ASoIaF series I was after. I read up on the Wiki article, and it seems to be more like a historical political fantasy drama than typical Tolkienesque fantasy?

aidan

Thanks, and I do think it's actually the ASoIaF series I was after. I read up on the Wiki article, and it seems to be more like a historical political fantasy drama than typical Tolkienesque fantasy?

Absolutely.

Finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest last week. Too bad there aren't more books in the series. Looking for more books like it.

Finished The Heroes. It was epic, though I didn't enjoy it as much as BSC or TFL, but that was mainly due to not really liking any of the main POV characters.

Now starting:
Halting_State-119190418871471.jpg

A friend recommended it and I'm going in cold.

Harry Potter and the Haf-Blood Prince.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LocoMrPollock said:
n355215.jpg

Started this last night. It's a bit slow so far, but I love me some Abercrombie, so I'm gonna devour it this weekend.

I've got to wait about a week still for this to come out on the Kindle. I'm really looking forward to it!

Baby Milo

Infinite Jest
the Great Gatsby
Blood Meridian

just finished
Norwegian Wood(loved it)
the girl with the dragon tattoo(fun read but im not touching the rest of the trilogy)

LocoMrPollock said:
Now starting:
Halting_State-119190418871471.jpg

Love that cover! I have a bad habit of adding books to my to-read list because of awesome covers and they've brought me disappointment occasionally, so I'm trying to stop it.

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis

Started reading this a month ago, stopped because I got distracted with Jane Eyre, and starting it up again. It takes a long time for the story to get going, but now I think I like it. It's like a long Monty Python sketch about time travel. The humor seems very British.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
About to finish:

KOp2r.jpg

About to start:

c93wW.jpg

(although I have so many to choose from on my shelf)

About to get from my dad and will spend an eternity reading, but will give it a shot no less:

lfPoR.jpg

His copies look pretty much identical and have been sitting on his bookshelf for as long as I can remember. He got it when he was 16, so I guess it's a family heirloom now.......which means I'll have to give it to one of my sisters' kids some day, lol [forever_alone.jpg]

Salazar

demon said:
About to start:

c93wW.jpg

(although I have so many to choose from on my shelf)

Good idea. Disquieting book.

I am into:

Curiosity: A Cultural History of Early Modern Inquiry by Barbara Benedict.
Philosophic Words by W.K. Wimsatt.

The Saint by Dan Abnett.

coldvein

Banned
Oh. Well. Not for me then, but thanks anyway :)

nooooooo! gaf, do something. this man needs help. seriously christoffersen..even if you're way more into tolkien-esque fantasy, you will love ice and fire. i promise. you must. some of the best books ever, fantasy or no. please reconsider!

Combichristoffersen

aidan said:
Give it a shot anyway. You'll probably like it.

coldvein said:
nooooooo! gaf, do something. this man needs help. seriously christoffersen..even if you're way more into tolkien-esque fantasy, you will love ice and fire. i promise. you must. some of the best books ever, fantasy or no. please reconsider!

:lol: I might look into it, and get the first book. Any recommendations for more traditional Tolkienesque fantasy, or something akin to Neil Gaiman's works, or something like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell? There's obviously the Eragon books, but those were more or less just bad Star Wars fanfiction set in a pseudo-medieval setting, with some names cribbed straight from Tolkien.

Mifune

Mehmber
16716.jpg

Lethem takes traditional stories and twists them, mutates them, and just generally fucks them up. Some really scary, funny, disturbing, and just plain bizarre stories here.

If a tale of a prison made up of literally hardened criminals interests you, then dive in.

Top Bottom