• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2012)

Mangotron

rPZJ3.jpg

Enjoying it quite a bit. Second best book I've had to read for school so far, next to Gatsby.

chiba

6597651.jpg

The Wind-Up Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. Bought it without knowing anything about it, just went with the 'worthy successor to W. Gibson' hook on the cover. Which is awesome (the cover, that is). Best sci-fi I've read since Hyperion. Which I read a month ago. Proper world building, Bacigalupi's take on a futuristic Bangkok comes just as much to life as Scott Lynch's Camorr.

I love this book so much. Any recommendations similar to it?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just started:

n5xo7.jpg

I loved The Razor's Edge so I have high hopes for this.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Well, that was something I could not put down. Great book. Onto George Orwell's Animal Farm

7613.jpg

After this I am planning to start the L.A. Quartet (The Black Dahlia/L.A. Confidential/The Big Nowhere/White Jazz) by James Ellroy, since I'm in that kind of mood after playing L.A. Noire.

Nice, I need to read more Ellroy! Read L.A. Confidential and Blood's a Rover. Really dig his writing style!

Finishing up my Dresden Files binge with Ghost Story at the moment.

bengraven

6597651.jpg

The Wind-Up Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. Bought it without knowing anything about it, just went with the 'worthy successor to W. Gibson' hook on the cover. Which is awesome (the cover, that is). Best sci-fi I've read since Hyperion. Which I read a month ago. Proper world building, Bacigalupi's take on a futuristic Bangkok comes just as much to life as Scott Lynch's Camorr.

rPZJ3.jpg

Enjoying it quite a bit. Second best book I've had to read for school so far, next to Gatsby.

I really need to read both of these.

RickA238

Just started:

n5xo7.jpg

I loved The Razor's Edge so I have high hopes for this.

I just read this last summer. It's basically a more bleak, unfunny, somewhat depressing version of David Copperfield. Without the great characters and wonderful Dickensian command of the language.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a good book, I just find it difficult to not compare it to David Copperfield; the similarities are too apparent. Although if you haven't read David Copperfield, I would suggest reading Of Human Bondage first in order to avoid spoiling Of Human Bondage.

I still haven't read The Razor's Edge, but it's on my list.

BTW, that is a really awful cover, haha.

wizard_and_glass.jpg

I am working my way through The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I am on book 4 now, Wizard and Glass. I am really loving this series so far, and the characters are so detailed and interesting, and I like the fact that it's set in the same universe as The Stand, which I finished up before starting this series. So have any of you read the whole Dark Tower series? I have heard that the last 2 books are a bit of a let down, is that true? I am going to finish them now either way because I am already invested in Roland's story, just wanted to see some other opinions.

RickA238

I am working my way through The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I am on book 4 now, Wizard and Glass. I am really loving this series so far, and the characters are so detailed and interesting, and I like the fact that it's set in the same universe as The Stand, which I finished up before starting this series. So have any of you read the whole Dark Tower series? I have heard that the last 2 books are a bit of a let down, is that true? I am going to finish them now either way because I am already invested in Roland's story, just wanted to see some other opinions.

I did not realize this. I'm now intrigued.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
wizard_and_glass.jpg

The last two books are awesome and the ending is perfect. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Also, there are some very direct connections to many of King's novels, a character from Salem's Lot features fairly prominently in Book 5.

Read The Hunger Games last night.

WTF? It's average to mediocre YA fiction (and is pretty bad in an absolute sense, outside of that genre), yet it is, apparently, being taught in schools despite having no real literary value. Granted, it's kind of entertaining, but it's so baldly manipulative in terms of hitting every possible "emotional hook" that a book like it could have that it's honestly shocking to me that people don't see right through it.

Edit: Who'da thunk that Harry frickin' Potter would be the literary pinnacle of the "big name" YA fiction of the last 15 years or so?

Salazar

Robert Hughes's book about Barcelona (not, or at least by no means principally, the football club).

Completely magnificent.

bengraven

wizard_and_glass.jpg

Actually the Dark Tower series is the bridge between all worlds. Literally. There are few Stephen King books that aren't referenced in the series. The Stand is a seperate universe that they walk through during that scene you reference. They pass through many worlds.

Wizard & Glass is the best book in the Dark Tower series. Great ending too.

Agreed. The first series in the comic book series actually covers the "story within a story" as well and is beautifully drawn with a few extra scenes.

WTF? It's average to mediocre YA fiction (and is pretty bad in an absolute sense, outside of that genre), yet it is, apparently, being taught in schools despite having no real literary value. Granted, it's kind of entertaining, but it's so baldly manipulative in terms of hitting every possible "emotional hook" that a book like it could have that it's honestly shocking to me that people don't see right through it.

Edit: Who'da thunk that Harry frickin' Potter would be the literary pinnacle of the "big name" YA fiction of the last 15 years or so?

You're asking to be called a troll, but I for one will agree that HP is the best YA series of the last 20 years.

And that's saying a lot for a genre that's mocked by people my age, especially on web forums, but the truth is that many YA series are actually more creative than most "all ages" or "adult" novel series.

That said, the best stand alone YA book of the last decade is still Graveyard Book, hands down.

Dresden

wizard_and_glass.jpg

The last 3

lulz

Wolves of the Calla is fucking terrible.

MrFortyFive

panic_in_level_4.jpg

Great book. Some of the different stories were actually made more interesting from the fact that some of the information is dated at this point. It was interesting to see how some things have changed. Not all of the different stories held my interest, but Preston is a great writer and there are some fascinating things in here.

Glad to see some love for the Dark Tower series ending. Probably my favorite ending to a series ever. While I thought Books 5 and 6 were a bit weak, I enjoyed 7 immensely. And dat ending.

Anyway, just finished Space Chronicles by Neil Tyson. Amazing book.

Now I can finally start working on Dance with Dragons.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna give Oryx and Crake another shot. Tried a few months ago but got distracted. Also about to read Anarchism and Its Aspirations by Cindy Milstein. Just gotta finish up this last essay, then it's leisure reading... for a week, haha.

Fun, metaphorical, short. Liked the similar themes to 1984.

Will start this tonight probably: James Ellroy - The Black Dahlia
200px-JamesEllroy_TheBlackDahlia.jpg

I've been really thinking about getting this lately. Getting nostalgic for reading LA Noire type stuff after watching The Big Sleep the other day.

FnordChan

So have any of you read the whole Dark Tower series? I have heard that the last 2 books are a bit of a let down, is that true? I am going to finish them now either way because I am already invested in Roland's story, just wanted to see some other opinions.

Without going into any specific detail whatsoever, here's the deal with the last three Dark Tower novels: Stephen King wrote them all at once after having almost died after being hit by a truck. One the one hand, it's great that he was inspired to make damn sure he finished telling the story of the Dark Tower. On the other hand, I can't help but think that the last three novels would have been a lot better had King spent his usual 5-7 years between each volume letting each one percolate in the back of his mind, fine tuning everything, and waiting until he was completely in the zone. Instead, the last three books are pretty good and the ending is fine, but the quality varies compared to the rest of the series. It will probably help that you're able to read the entire series at once rather than having been waiting for years between volumes. Either way, the Dark Tower is completely worthwhile and you should probably not worry about what the internet, myself included, thinks of the novels. If you're enjoying them up through Wizard and Glass, you'll enjoy the last three as well.

FnordChan, stoked that The Wind Through The Keyhole is only a month away

Tigel

wizard_and_glass.jpg

I'm half-way through the fifth book and my God this series is amazing. I love it.
Personally, Wizard and Glass is my favourite so far. Such a fantastic book. And the fact that it was
literally a 800 pages flashback
blew my mind at the time.

There's also a new Dark Tower book that is coming out this month that is basically the 4.5th book. I cannot wait.

Without going into any specific detail whatsoever, here's the deal with the last three Dark Tower novels: Stephen King wrote them all at once after having almost died after being hit by a truck. One the one hand, it's great that he was inspired to make damn sure he finished telling the story of the Dark Tower. On the other hand, I can't help but think that the last three novels would have been a lot better had King spent his usual 5-7 years between each volume letting each one percolate in the back of his mind, fine tuning everything, and waiting until he was completely in the zone. Instead, the last three books are pretty good and the ending is fine, but the quality varies compared to the rest of the series. It will probably help that you're able to read the entire series at once rather than having been waiting for years between volumes. Either way, the Dark Tower is completely worthwhile and you should probably not worry about what the internet, myself included, thinks of the novels. If you're enjoying them up through Wizard and Glass, you'll enjoy the last three as well.

FnordChan, stoked that The Wind Through The Keyhole is only a month away

Awesome, thanks for the input. Yea I have not intention of stopping now, just wanted to see what was up with some of the negative opinions about the last couple books. I am really enjoying Wizard and Glass now, seems each book is better than the one before it!

And also, I really like the way that the world in the dark tower intersects with King's other worlds, pretty cool to read things like that.

RickA238

Totally agree with you. It's mediocre at best, and I had no desire to continue reading the series after the first book. It's basically just poorly written derivative of Ender's Game+Lord of the Flies. I honestly feel like I could have written the novel better than Suzanne Collins.

I actually hold Harry Potter in fairly high regard for what it is. It's well written.

Jarlaxle

It will probably help that you're able to read the entire series at once rather than having been waiting for years between volumes.

This.

I honestly think that if others had read the Dark Tower straight through instead of having to wait years upon years in between time they would have liked the last three books alot more. I honestly didn't see a dip in the quality of the writing and I enjoyed the last three books a whole lot with Wolves of the Calla being right up there with The Wastelands and Wizard and Glass for me. I love the Dark Tower so much we actually named our son Roland.

I've noticed this same phenomenon with ASOIAF. I enjoyed AFFC just as much as the previous books. I didn't see the slow down and boring parts that most people speak of. I think this is because I just read them all back to back. I had the first three books for years but hadn't read any of them because I wanted to wait until it was close to being finished to read it all back to back. However, once the tv show came out and people started talking about it more, I didn't want it to get spoiled so I was forced to start reading them. Now I'm waiting like everyone else with the thought that the last two books probably won't live up to my imagined perceptions of what they should be based on my long wait and anticipation.

I think serialized tv works best like this as well. See Lost, Twin Peaks, etc.

Ceebs

Fun, metaphorical, short. Liked the similar themes to 1984.

Will start this tonight probably: James Ellroy - The Black Dahlia
200px-JamesEllroy_TheBlackDahlia.jpg

Whatever you do, forget the movie based on that book even exists. It's terrible.

The LA Confidential movie on the other hand I think is even better than the book.

You're asking to be called a troll, but I for one will agree that HP is the best YA series of the last 20 years.

And that's saying a lot for a genre that's mocked by people my age, especially on web forums, but the truth is that many YA series are actually more creative than most "all ages" or "adult" novel series.

That said, the best stand alone YA book of the last decade is still Graveyard Book, hands down.

I will continue cheerleading Terry Pratchett's YA work anytime people are talking about the lack of quality in the genre.

The Tiffany Aching series is a fantastic fantasy story that touches on all sorts of emotions you go through while growing up. The first book in particular with the way it deals with a young person's feelings and memories of a deceased loved one.

His book Nation is probably my favorite YA book I have ever read. It's very powerful and really brings out real emotions without being manipulative.

The best thing about them is they are smart and intelligent books that treat their readers as equals instead of pandering to them like so many YA books seem to do.

Very very highly recommend The Galactic Mage to anyone who is looking for an amazingly well done mash-up of fantasy and sci-fi.

So good!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
underthedome_630x422.jpg

Finished up Under the Dome and really enjoyed it. Not as good as 11/22/63 but was worth the listen. Raul Esparza did a fantastic job narrating the audio book,which might be why i didn't find it dragged as bad as some just reading the text.

King writes characters so well even the crazy loons seem like real people by the end of the book.I think thats always why I enjoy his work so much,the plot have some glaring holes in it and the ending might not be as satisfying as the build up, but man its like you know these people by the time the stories done.

Currently listening to
51DihuKEF1L._SL500_AA300_PIaudible,BottomRight,13,73_AA300_.jpg

Really superb audio book,audible just released this in Feb and put together some great actors/readers for this production.
Cast of narrators is:

Dr. Seward: Alan Cumming
Jonathan Harker: Simon Vance
Mina Murray/Harker: Katy Kellgren
Lucy Westenra: Susan Duerden
Van Helsing: Tim Curry

Graeme Malcolm: Dailygraph correspondent
Steven Crossley: Zookeeper’s account and reporter
Simon Prebble: Varna
James Adams: Patrick Hennessey
Nicola Barber: Sister Agatha
Victor Villar-Hauser: Arthur Holmwood
Marc Vietor: Quincey Morris
John Lee: Introductory paragraph, various letters

Bram Stroker's Dracula really lends itself to a full ensemble cast reading well since the whole story is told thru journals,newspaper clippings and letters.

bengraven

I will continue cheerleading Terry Pratchett's YA work anytime people are talking about the lack of quality in the genre.

The Tiffany Aching series is a fantastic fantasy story that touches on all sorts of emotions you go through while growing up. The first book in particular with the way it deals with a young person's feelings and memories of a deceased loved one.

His book Nation is probably my favorite YA book I have ever read. It's very powerful and really brings out real emotions without being manipulative.

The best thing about them is they are smart and intelligent books that treat their readers as equals instead of pandering to them like so many YA books seem to do.

audience.gif

I completely forgot about Terry Pratchett and you're right 100%. I have yet to read the Tiffany Aching novels, but I've read his other non-YA novels and The Amazing Maurice and am a huge fan.

I still will say that HP is the best in the last decade if only because of the world she built and the condensed story she's telling, but I would probably take Pratchett over Rowling.

gcubed

200px-Mockingjay.JPG

This was such a disappointment. I enjoyed the trilogy but there is so much thats gone wasted. Collins created an interesting world with an intriguing bsckstory and then decided not to elaborate on it at all. There were some momens in Mockingjay that made me wonder if Collins knew what she was doing.

i read the entire trilogy over the last 4 days. I enjoyed it for what it was, was a very easy read, but completely agree with you. I finished up the trilogy and thought. Man, it wasn't bad at all but it could have been INCREDIBLE.

Reading Neuromancer now

180px-Neuromancer_(Book).jpg

Just Finished The Forever War. What an amazing novel - I loved it. You can definitely tell that a lot of modern sci-fi has been influenced by the book.

I'll probably start one of the following today:

hyperion-front-book-cover1.gif
51yAXYim4mL._SS500_.jpg
mistborn039.jpg

Dresden

GOAvG.jpg

Went through the first volume, good stuff. Had to skim over some of the interviews--Eliot is a fucking bore--but loved most of the others. The interview with Borges stands out the most, though.

Recently finished:
VoodooHistory.jpg

It's the best book on consipracy theories I've read. It's got every major CT you've heard of - Protocols of the Elders of Zion, JFK, RFK, Marilyn Monroe, 9/11, and more. The author has plenty of detail, facts that debunk them, and good analyses of why people believe them.

Currently reading:
200px-Mad-in-America-cover.jpg

This is depressing. For much of American history, the mentally ill (which used to include alcoholics, nymphomaniacs, and the homeless) were kept in unsanitary gulags and were tortured with methods actually accepted as science at the time. Then there's the history of eungenics and the parallels to Nazi Germany. It's sick enough for me to begin to distrust scientific validity - how many acceptable medical practices today will our descendants look back upon as barbaric?

methland.jpg

Despite the subject matter, this is pretty interesting. I hardly care about the personal stories, but the details of the business, science, and horror stories of meth are good. Believe it or not, Tom Arnold's sister was one the Walter White of the midwestern meth business.

GOAvG.jpg

Went through the first volume, good stuff. Had to skim over some of the interviews--Eliot is a fucking bore--but loved most of the others. The interview with Borges stands out the most, though.

For anyone else who is interested in these interviews, I believe they have all of them up on their website. I've spent countless hours perusing their stuff, and always find something to read everytime I'm on the Paris Review website.

Alucard

Banned
I've been on a Sherlock Holmes kick lately, and have finished off the detective's first two novels...

9780141034331.jpg
9780141034379.jpg

Both of these were very good, though I think I preferred the first; The Sign of Four was a bit confusing, and I will be curious to read it again.

I have since moved on to this collection of 12 short stories:

9780141034355.jpg

Sherlock Holmes loves coke, and lots of it.

Divius

I've been really thinking about getting this lately. Getting nostalgic for reading LA Noire type stuff after watching The Big Sleep the other day.
After playing LA Noire I was in the mood to watch some noirs and since I've been reading more this year I stumbled across the L.A. Quartet, so that seemed like a logical choice.

Whatever you do, forget the movie based on that book even exists. It's terrible.

The LA Confidential movie on the other hand I think is even better than the book.
I think I tried to watch it once around the time it came out. Didn't finish and am not planning to rewatch it. LA Confidential on the other hand is indeed an awesome movie.

finished Blood Meridian a while back. currently reading:

Keyhole_Grant.jpg

trying to take it pretty slow. It's been really entertaining so far, don't want it to be over too soon...who knows if another DT book is ever going to come out

after this, probably going to read

raylan.jpg

Karakand

WTF? It's average to mediocre YA fiction (and is pretty bad in an absolute sense, outside of that genre), yet it is, apparently, being taught in schools despite having no real literary value.

If there's one Voice you don't hear in literature class, it's the one that's skeptical of the State.

I for one applaud our intrepid educators for having the presence of mind to see this monumental work for what it is, and, to provide it to Our Children without waiting for History to properly evaluate it.

Please tell me it's not actually being taught in school.

Karakand

If you don't think dudes throwing sharpened objects at whales or a bond salesman in high society are exciting, I don't know what to tell you.

Piecake

41LCP%2BNJr5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Red and the Black by Stendhal

Its been a long time since ive read a 'literary' novel, but I am quite enjoying this so far. Im only 10% in though, so that could change, but so far I find the characters interesting, their interactions believable and the small town setting well done. So, so far its an enjoyable read for me since I read mostly for the characters

The translation I am reading isnt something that I would consider amazing though. Dont get me wrong, its decent, but I wonder what it would be like to read a newer translation of it (im reading the free version)

I realize this is probably just signaling, but: what set are you drawing from when you say "big name YA fiction"?

There's plenty of great YA out there, even if we exclude Hunger Games and Harry Potter.

Neal Shusterman, Louis Sachar, Shannon Hale, Neil Gaiman, Gail Carson Levine, Megan Whalen Turner, Diana Wynne Jones, some Pratchett. That's just off the top of my head.

I mean the BIG name stuff. Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, Percy Jackson, those sorts of things. I'm not disparaging the entire YA genre (though honestly, I have no real love for it from my memories growing up), just that the stuff that becomes very popular seems to never have a lot going for it in terms of quality.

Top Bottom