• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2012)

Mumei

I'd just like to point out that Jane Eyre is not a literary classic, unless you're only using "classic" in the sense of "tried and true." The book has a certain power in that it's actually still alright 150 years later, which is more than can be said for a lot of 19th Century literature, but it doesn't really stack up against the big dogs of literary history. Ditto Wuthering Heights.

Also, chick-lit is a good and proper term for it. It may not have been intended as such, but modern-day chick lit is probably the closest thing to an antecedent that it has. That's not to say that Jane Eyre is on the same level of pulpiness, mind, but it certainly does have that "romance novel" air about it in certain respects. The problem is in the idea that "chick-lit" and "bad" must necessarily be congruent, which, while often the case, will not hold true 100% of the time.

This is basically how I feel.

Ratrat

Is Gone with the Wind chicklit?

n31p6.jpg

mu cephei

I'd just like to point out that Jane Eyre is not a literary classic, unless you're only using "classic" in the sense of "tried and true." The book has a certain power in that it's actually still alright 150 years later, which is more than can be said for a lot of 19th Century literature, but it doesn't really stack up against the big dogs of literary history. Ditto Wuthering Heights.

Also, chick-lit is a good and proper term for it. It may not have been intended as such, but modern-day chick lit is probably the closest thing to an antecedent that it has. That's not to say that Jane Eyre is on the same level of pulpiness, mind, but it certainly does have that "romance novel" air about it in certain respects. The problem is in the idea that "chick-lit" and "bad" must necessarily be congruent, which, while often the case, will not hold true 100% of the time.

Chick-lit is a marketing category which has only really established itself in the last 10-odd years. Should every book ever written in the past which is now considered to focus on themes primarily the concern of women, be now considered chick-lit? What happens when the current fad of chick-lit passes? Will Jane Eyre go back to best being categorised as a classic?

From a marketing perspective, would Jane Eyre sell best on the 'chick-lit' shelf with a chick-lit cover, or on the classics shelf with a suitably austere cover? If my sister bought Jane Eyre expecting something like Bridget Jones I think she'd be pretty hacked off. I can't say you're exactly wrong however, cos all of Austen's books were re-marketed as chick-lit with chick-lit covers a while back. I've no idea how well that went over though.

The main problem I have with it though is that I think these categories ultimately restrict, rather than expand, the type of book people pick up to read. I don't think it's very helpful.

x-Lundz-x

This book gets so much praise everywhere I look. Really tempted to try it, in the mood for some epic fantasy. Though the only thing I've read from Sanderson is Mistborn. Wasn't a big fan so, I dunno.

I am a huge, and I mean HUGE Wheel of Time fan and Sanderson has come in and saved that series since the passing of Robert Jordan. His two books in the series have breathed new life and excitement to the books and with the final book coming soon I am just giddy. His writing style is easy to read while a the same time being very descriptive. Just like the early work of Jordan. I am really looking forward to reading The Way of Kings and seeing his own vision of epic fantasy.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I just finished Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson. It was a quick read and engrossing, but I couldn't shake a feeling that it was too pristine. It feels exactly like an Apple product. It's complete and well crafted, but cold and closed.

I'm wrapping up 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. It's my first Murakami novel, and I want to read some of his earlier work now. This book has a great feeling of piercing in to the unknown, and then folding it back on to your understanding of the known.

I read these pair of comic travelogues yesterday:

pyongyang.jpg

shenzhen-cover.jpg

I'm looking forward to reading more of Delisle's work. It feels like No Reservation's evil little brother.

I'm also pecking away at a story from What the Dog Saw by Malcom Gladwell when I have a need for something brief.

I just think that you all should know that I've read 12 Shakespeare plays since Saturday and am not stopping until I finish the entire complete works (though since I'm skipping some of the ones that I'm overly familiar with, I'm really 15 in, having skipped Two Gents, Taming of the Shrew, and The Merchant of Venice). Wanna know what I thought of them?

Comedy of Errors: Having not been a big fan of Shakespeare comedy, I was expecting to hate this, as I usually would. But, it's actually pretty funny! The premise is absurd, the verse rather green, and the characters sketched only on the surface, so in a certain sense it's still not particularly a good play, but considering how short it is and how many good laughs there actually are in it, it's actually better than some of his more lauded plays.

Love's Labours Lost: FUCK this one. Jesus Christ, is this play boring. It's so concerned with a lot of heady, dated-to-the-point-of-becoming-totally-opaque references that it forgets to have, like, some good lines, or good characters, or, like, jokes. Maybe the worst Shakespeare play that I've read.

Titus Andronicus: Wow. This is really, really terrible. Granted, T.S. Eliot could be a dense, nit-picky critic, but it's not hard to see why he called this one of the least interesting plays ever written. When they ran out of heads and the raped, tongueless, handless Lavinia had to carry her father's severed hand away in her mouth, I almost lost it with laughter. Shakespeare had to have written this on a dare, or something. There's no other explanation for the really bad verse, the ludicrous plotting, the unbelievable characterizations, the lack of any real satisfaction at any point, etc. All this play really has is the violence, so in that sense, it's almost like the Elizabethan equivalent of an exploitation film, which makes it somewhat easy to understand why it was popular in its time.

Henry VI (All three parts): Between the three plays, there's probably one very good to great play, particularly the Third Part, which introduces us to Richard III, who's a really awesome character, probably one of the best ever. Unfortunately, the plays suffer from what I was soon to realize is a constant ill in Shakespeare's history plays: a lot of dullness and padding surrounding the good stuff. For every good character, there are a bunch of ciphers, there to move along the plot. For every moment of insight, there are moments of pandering (especially the French cowering in the First Part) that are basically the Elizabethan equivalent of gratuitous shots of the American flog in a Michael Bay film. for every exciting battle scene, there's an overly long scene of what is essentially Shakespearean C-SPAN. Etc.

Richard III: A great, great titular character surrounded by a so-so show. Whenever Richard III is soliloquizing, the show is like electricity, filled with interesting verse, insight, personality, wit, etc. Whenever he shares the stage with other people, the energy goes down immensely, as the plotting turns to the predictable sorts of Shakespeare history stuff that you might expect. whenever Richard III isn't on the stage at all, it's practically snoozeville. It's rather a shame that a character as great as Richard III, with so many great lines and moments ("A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse!") didn't get a better play to cap off his storyline. I actually might contend that Henry VI Part 3 is the better show to feature Richard III as a character, even if he doesn't have as much to do; the moment when he kills Henry VI toward the end of that show, and his following soliloquy, kicks ass. Also, Richard III (the play) has a rather poor ending; the scene where the ghosts of all the slain characters come back to the dreams of Richard and Richmond A) goes on too long, B) feels kind of like pandering, with the knowledge in mind that Elizabethan audiences loved ghosts and superstitious things like that, C) is rather a trite motif to begin with, even back then, and D) doesn't really do anything.

A Midsummer Night's Dream: I enjoyed it more than, say, Love's Labours Lost, but I'd still probably put it on the bottom tier of Shakespeare. The verse is rather simple and filled with lines that were banalities even in its time (without the benefit of many of those memorable "Shakespeare lines" that sort of ring a bell to a modern audience), the characters are extremely one-dimensional, making the shifted relationships feel more like simple plot contrivance than anything else, the motif of dreaming is not particularly well-explored and comes to a somewhat anticlimactic end (it's not a plot where anything really builds), etc. I'd put it over LLL because the fantastical setting, the workaday characters putting on the play, and Puck render it a more interesting and memorable story in the mind.

Romeo and Juliet: this is a tough one to judge because it has a number of iconic, oft-quoted lines. And indeed, those lines are excellent. But the show itself is actually kind of mediocre, even for its time. The verse is FILLED with cliche love imagery (with stuff that can be spied in Old and Middle English, Latin, Greek, etc.), the plotting is completely unbelievable (the two title characters are completely devoted to one another after TWO SCENES, and even if you hold that the play is a satire of teen romantic angst and melodrama, that doesn't really justify the length of the play), not to mention predictable in terms of the style that Shakespeare had established in his canon up to this point, and the ultimate resolution after the two lovers kill themselves is rather on-the-nose and trite. The play is saved by the memorable lines it contains and by the life of the Mercutio character, who is tragically underused here. Really, this seems to be the motif early on in Shakespeare's career, here - mostly average plays but with a great character or speech every so often to whet the appetite for what's to come.

King John: The above theory holds here. The play is mostly typical Shakespeare history stuff, but the character of Philip the Bastard is excellent and has several memorable speeches. Also, he does some interesting things with the form (Acts I and II both being single, long scenes, for example, and the whole thing being in verse), and there are enough battle scenes that one can imagine it remaining interesting when rendered on the stage.

Richard II: What I said about King John, but with less good to write about, really. About the only thing in the show that TRULY sticks out is Richard II's awesome, awesome speech after he is imprisoned, which kinda comes out of nowhere and so is diminished somewhat in context but is a great enough poem/soliloquy/character piece that I don't particularly think it matters all that much. This really feels like a set-up for the tetralogy more than anything else.

Henry IV, Part 1: Probably the first play that I've read so far without an obvious weakness to it. It's not great in the same way that, say, Hamlet is great, or Othello, and in a sense, it suffers somewhat from the same symptom as Richard III: a few great core characters (namely Falstaff, but Prince Hal and Hotspur both have their moments) with somewhat less interesting action to sustain them. The difference here, though, is that the dip in quality between the great parts and the rest is not so stark, and there's nothing completely alienating like the ghosts in Richard III. Were I an Elizabethan, I think that this'd be the point where I'd see that Shakespeare was not just a commercial writer with a few good ideas, that he really had the potential to become something more. I've seen it said that had he died at the same time as Marlowe, we'd look to Marlowe and/or Jonson as the premiere Elizabethan dramatist(s); Henry IV is, I think, the start of Shakespeare's bridge into the sort of timeless greatness that we know of him today, at least if the chronology that I'm following is of any reliability.

20-ish plays to go!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like Shakespeare at all. Seems like basically every character is overacting when I read it, and every actual presentation I've seen (in stage or film form) has done nothing but reinforce my opinion.

Mumei

I don't like Shakespeare at all. Seems like basically every character is overacting when I read it, and every actual presentation I've seen (in stage or film form) has done nothing but reinforce my opinion.

I don't know when it clicked for me, exactly, but at some point the language became interesting enough to me that what seems like overly dramatic language stopped being a hindrance for my enjoyment and started being a part of what made it enjoyable.

Yeah, no.

I haven't experienced that since senior year of high school, and it's one I'm looking forward to watching again / reading.

Puddles

Banned
I haven't experienced that since senior year of high school, and it's one I'm looking forward to watching again / reading.

I love A Midsummer Night's Dream. It's been a few years since I've read it, so I can't really get into specifics, but there's a reason why it's one of the best-known Shakespeare plays.

To each his own though. Snowman and I have agreed to disagree on Saving Private Ryan, so I guess we'll have to do the same thing here.

Ceebs

I am overly fond of The Tempest, but I can't quite express why I like it so much more than the rest of his plays.

In other news, I think I have a problem.

My experiment with contemporary chick lit has morphed into some sort of strange addiction. Turns out I apparently really like these books. I am not proud of it, but I have gone down this rabbit hole pretty deep. Over the last few days I have knocked out the following books:

Can You Keep A Secret
To Marry A Prince
Unsticky
Enchanted Inc.
Once Upon Stilettos
Damsel in Stress
Don't Hex With Texas
The Frog Prince
The Little Lady Agency

I am on my second stack of these books I have borrowed and will probably be back for more. My friend is slightly giddy about it though and has yet to resort to a bit of friendly mocking. I fear she will want me to join her book club soon.

The highlight so far was probably Unsticky which was pretty much Pretty Woman only with a struggling fashion magazine assistant instead of a prostitute (well, at least she was not a prostitute at the beginning). It had some seriously fiendish undertones to the whole thing as well that were more pronounced than other stories or movies with a similar premise I am familiar with.

So yeah...

finowns

would anyone recommend Riyria Revelations series by Michael J Sullivan..

I read the first two books very mediocre.

Check out Blood of Ambrose by James Enge if you have not already; I just read his 3rd Morlock book. Enge is better than Sullivan

51YO4mazzdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

pretty great.

A Guile of Dragons comes out this year.

Puddles

Banned
Man, Mockingjay is terrible.

The first book wasn't a classic or anything, but I enjoyed it enough to read the second. And I kinda powered through that, even though it wasn't nearly on the same level. But the third book is really bad.

There is a pretty decent world in this series that would have been amazing in the hands of a better writer. But Collins can't write compelling fiction that doesn't involve the actual Hunger Games. Everything that takes place outside the arena is mediocre to shit, with a real emphasis on shit by the time you get to the third book.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Just now finished the hunger games. Immediately loaded the next book, started reading and on the 2nd page she mentions everything that has happened. I soon realise that I was reading the third book instead of the second. :(

I did that. But I did that with A song of ice and fire. In euroland the storm of swords book was split in to 2 books. I was not aware of this and was surprised when the book I thought was the next one, was off-handedly mentioning QUITE A LOT of important MASSIVE events.

Sleepy

e: spoiler:
Anthony Bourdain did a whole lotta drugs!

Kitchen Confidential is one of my favorite non-fiction books.

Interveiwer: What do you know about me? Bourdain: Nothing! (Wait did he say what do you know about meat? Shit!)

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Going to start with
1q84-book-3.jpg

today. Loved the first two (and Murakami in general) and I need to know how this is going to end.

I finished this last night. It was a very satisfying conclusion. I won't say any more, but I think it's a great ending.

TCRS

Banned
Finished The Warrior Prophet by Scott Bakker. I fucking hate Kellhus now. Prick, plays everyone and doesn't give a shit about friendship and stuff. Serwe was annoying as hell, Esmenet and Achamian great, and there wasn't enough of Cainur. And whatever happended to Maithanet? Guess I'll find out in the next book. The only gripe I have with this book is that the battles were not detailed enough and way too short. Things like that and the crossing of the desert should have been written in a more dramatic way. I love the introspective parts, I think they're what make this series great, but sometimes I think they come at the expense of the plot.

Anyway, starting with the last part of this trilogy:

9781841494128.jpg

mike23

AlZQq.jpg
1OPY1.jpg
pwqX0.jpg

Decent books. I feel like there's a lot of lost potential here though.

Also, the author shamelessly copied and pasted about 5 pages worth of text from the first book into the third and just changed the names of the characters involved. I said "What the fuck?" out loud when I read it. Not sure why, but it offended me deeply.

RickA238

Going to start with
1q84-book-3.jpg

today. Loved the first two (and Murakami in general) and I need to know how this is going to end.

Book 3 is the best in my opinion. The novel dragged a bit with book 2, book 3 more than makes up for it.
I really grew to like Ushikawa from his chapters; both the Ushikawa in 1Q84, and the one Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as well. I consider them the same character in parallel universes.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Book 3 is the best in my opinion. The novel dragged a bit with book 2, book 3 more than makes up for it.
I really grew to like Ushikawa from his chapters; both the Ushikawa in 1Q84, and the one Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as well. I consider them the same character in parallel universes.

Ushikawa and Tamaru are my favorite characters in the book. Ushikawa has a lot in common with the second moon. He's conspicious and obvserving the primary characters from a distance, helping them come together in the end. I didn't feel completely happy that Aomame and Tengo were reunited, since the happy ending came at the cost of Ushikawa's life. Poor guy : /

Mumei

It's been awhile since I updated...

Finished

444380.jpg
8206501.jpg
11311549.jpg

8890606.jpg

Reading

11938.jpg

It's good. I don't really like it as much as The Last Unicorn (and speaking of, the comic adaptation was beautiful) or Sleight of Hand, but I think it's more compelling than A Dance for Emilia.

Dresden

Going to start with
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RC5OIMQSMuM/T0DA1ubFGaI/AAAAAAAAAVs/aKyOB4PAZYI/s1600/1q84-book-3.jpg

Started it like a few weeks ago but lost interest. Also have the Bolano book sitting around somewhere. I don't think I'll ever finish them.

Tried reading:

Xq1zN.jpg

Got about 1/2 into it, it was about as good as the cover. Glad I borrowed it from the li-berry.

Also went through:

230313-L.jpg

It was a lot less stuffy than the translation I read in school, ended up enjoying them much more than I expected. I think I'm going to hunt down some of the more 'modern' translations of the novels now.

Ushikawa and Tamaru are my favorite characters in the book. Ushikawa has a lot in common with the second moon. He's conspicious and obvserving the primary characters from a distance, helping them come together in the end. I didn't feel completely happy that Aomame and Tengo were reunited, since the happy ending came at the cost of Ushikawa's life. Poor guy : /

Interesting how you feel about it. Most people I talk to think Ushikawa didn't have to die. I think it definitely would have gotten in the way of Tengo and Aomame if Tamaru hadn't killed him. Anyway, I loved 1Q84. Such a pleasure to read Murakami at my own leisure. I highly anticipate his next book.

Edit: I'm reading The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño. Past the first third of the book and I'm like WTF at these oral biographies they aren't nearly as satisfying as his prose.

berg ark

Halfway through 1984.
shepard_fairey_george_orwell_1984.jpg

When I'm finished I'm thinking of buying both;
The Trial by Franz Kafka
kafka1.jpg

and Aniara by Harry Martinson
0071.jpg

I haven't read the classics yet, so why not start now?

I've read the following books in March thus far:
156780.jpg

Greg Egan - Schild's Ladder
I read this mostly after stumbling across the book's plot summary on Wikipedia (I'd only recommend reading the first paragraph of the plot summary) and being intensely curious on what kind of book would result in a plot summary like that. The book earned it. It was as hard-scifi as it gets. The characters are little more than side effects of the author needing some vehicle to explore his what-if scenario. It was a fascinating read regardless, and would have gone by much faster if I didn't spend so much time on Wikipedia reading quantum mechanics and differential geometry articles.

PerdidoStreetStation%281stEd%29.jpg

China Mieville- Perdido Street Station
I loved The City and the City and really liked most of (the first half of) Embassytown, so I figured it was time for more Mieville. I fell in love with the Bas Lag world and Mieville's wonderful descriptions of it's inhabitants almost immediately. The book is a large one though (something easy to miss when buying an ebook) and I felt like the pacing towards the last 1/3 wasn't great. Fortunately I feel it finished strong and even though I think I need a (short) break from Bas Lag, I'll definitely be going back for the last 2 books soon, just not immediately after finishing Perdido Street Station as I'd originally planned.

200px-Hunger_games.jpg

Suzanne Collins- The Hunger Games
With the moving coming up next week I figure I should get the book out of the way before too many of my friends demand we see the movie. So far it's a super fast read compared to the last two books I read and although it hasn't grabbed my like Bas Lag or got my brain sweating like Egan, it's enjoyable enough so far.

ultron87

Finished the first Lost Fleet book:

It was alright. It is pretty clear that it was written as a series and not as an individual book. This first one has a really poor dramatic arc and feels super short. Combat between big space navies is quite fun of course.

Now I'm going to give Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson a shot. I haven't disliked anything by him so far, so I expect it'll be enjoyable.

Mastadon

Banned
Just finished:

hOekW.jpg

I really enjoyed this book. The writing and dialogue is quite simple and straightforward, which is almost to its detriment at times, but it does a fantastic job of conveying the depths of emotion. The sense of melancholy is almost palpable throughout.

Up next:

tdoCn.jpg

Not sure what to expect - has anyone read it?

I finally finished up The Postman, and all in all I think it was pretty good, but not great.

Moving on to finally reading Andromeda Klein by Frank Portman.

Actually finished the first Malazan book, Gardens of the Moon. Took me a few years to get past the first 100 or so pages, but something finally clicked and I ended up really enjoying it (for the most part). On to the second one

Dresden

roGHy.jpg

I'm really fucking enjoying this. Stumbled a little in the beginning due to the rather petulant way the hero's world-weary outlook comes across as but bam, things get moving and it's been a real pleasureable ride. I hope the second half of the book can keep the ass-kicking going.
Actually finished the first Malazan book, Gardens of the Moon. Took me a few years to get past the first 100 or so pages, but something finally clicked and I ended up really enjoying it (for the most part). On to the second one

The second one has some epic shit going down. Loved it.

Top Bottom