• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2012)

I recently finished Ender's Game which was an amazing book. Will probably read Ender's Shadow soon.

I am currently reading the first book of Drizzt's origin. It's my first R A Salvatore book. It is OK but nothing that has hooked me to the character so I don't know if I will read any more of Drizzt's stuff.

Next up is A Talent for War (Alex Benedict Series).

I'd recommend going straight to Speaker of the Dead and then continuing Enders Story before you start up Bean's saga.

Yeah, think I'll pass on the Kevin book too.

Karakand

Ugh, finally finished this book:

The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson

It got chosen as our work bookclub book, which is the only reason I forced myself to finish it. The beginning started off shaky and the characters did not feel like genuine Koreans at all. More like Americans paid to play North Koreans or something. Then the middle got boring and heavy handed. But the plot finally picked up near the end and that was pretty good. But not worth having to slog through the middle, IMO.

An epic novel and a thrilling literary discovery, The Orphan Master’s Son follows a young man’s journey through the icy waters, dark tunnels, and eerie spy chambers of the world’s most mysterious dictatorship, North Korea.

welp i died inside

I'd recommend going straight to Speaker of the Dead and then continuing Enders Story before you start up Bean's saga.

I recommend this strategy as well. You could read Ender in Exile before Speaker if you want too. While Exile isn't as good as Speaker, I think it has some advantages for bridging the gap between Ender's Game and Speaker.

Cfh123

I, Claudius by Robert Graves. It is brilliant.

xesXd.jpg

Arcteryx

Just finished this, not quite my favourite Stephenson book but close. I think that's Diamond Age.

Anyway, any suggestions in a similar vein to this? Amazon suggested something called Ready Player One that seems vaguely interesting from the sample. After Reamde & 1Q84 in succession I thin I'd prefer something a bit lighter if possible and don't really want to throw myself into Anathem right now.

Have you read Altered Carbon, or any other Richard K Morgan books? They fall pretty close to Diamond Age/Snow Crash.

I liked some parts of Reamde, specifically the characters, but the story itself was pretty meh overall.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Finished Catching Fire. Such a perfect storm of poorly conceived ideas and grade school execution. Mockingjay can't possibly get any worse than this, right?

I need a break from this series. I think instead of jumping right into book 3 I'm gonna read Kitchen Confidential next. If anybody can save me from the doldrums of young adult fiction it's Anthony Bourdain.

Puddles

Banned
I'm also reading Catching Fire. It is nowhere near as good as The Hunger Games. But it's really short. I could conceivably finish the rest of it in one go.

demented

I recommend this strategy as well. You could read Ender in Exile before Speaker if you want too. While Exile isn't as good as Speaker, I think it has some advantages for bridging the gap between Ender's Game and Speaker.

I'm in same situation and I was wondering why this strategy? Are Ender's books much better then ones from Bean's perspective? I've got them all but haven't started Ender's Shadow yet since it's bigger then I expected, plus got some other books/things to finish first.
I checked on wiki for chronological order so that's why I'm asking, I like to read it all and in order :)

I'm in same situation and I was wondering why this strategy? Are Ender's books much better then ones from Bean's perspective? I've got them all but haven't started Ender's Shadow yet since it's bigger then I expected, plus got some other books/things to finish first.
I checked on wiki for chronological order so that's why I'm asking, I like to read it all and in order :)

Yeah, it's a combination of the Ender series being better, and the fact that I find Ender (and the things that happen around him) to be far more interesting than Bean. The Shadow series is hardly sci-fi at all, while the Ender books deal with some really interesting ideas and have a far more unique setting.

I'm not trying to discourage you from ever reading the Shadow books, but I'd recommend them to someone who has finished all the Ender books and is still looking for more in the same universe.

Sorry this is all a little vague, but I don't want to spoil anything for you!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Interesting Review of Gods Without Men by Hari Kunzru in NYT Book Review. comparisons to Cloud Atlas. http://nyti.ms/xUVxEr

I always read a baseball book this time of year. Did anybody read and like The Art of Fielding? I know everyone says it's great but something is holding me back from trying it.

bengraven

7058194.jpg

Only through the intro and can already tell it's going to be a difficult, harrowing read.

I need to read through this, but I know it will depress me. Not only because of the stories told, but because it's basically about my hometown and I knew several meth users and dealers.

x-Lundz-x

Currently still reading:

10644930.jpg

After that is done (this week hopefully) I am moving on to this:

7235533.jpg

I have been putting this off for a while but I am ready to dive into it, and can't wait for him to get the final book of the WoT out.

Almyn

Amazon UK finally came up with something I'm interested for today's Kindle deal of the day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_161849367_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000577623&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=0THTBJK1CVFGBJRCS1D8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=270713247&pf_rd_i=341689031

The complete hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. I've only read the first two, So i will be buying and reading the rest of those right after I finish up Old man's war. Military Sci-fi is not something I thought I would enjoy, But it has been excellent so far.

lunchtoast

Just now finished the hunger games. Immediately loaded the next book, started reading and on the 2nd page she mentions everything that has happened. I soon realise that I was reading the third book instead of the second. :(

Just now finished the hunger games. Immediately loaded the next book, started reading and on the 2nd page she mentions everything that has happened. I soon realise that I was reading the third book instead of the second. :(

Ouch. Reminds me of that dude who read the SOIAF books in the wrong order.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Self ownage

you didn't miss much

darkandroid

Neo Member
Reading the first Hunger Games novel....the reason why I'm reading it was just because Im interested in seeing the movie when it comes out later this month, but im almost halfway thru the novel and its actually one of those books that makes me want to turn the page and not put it down...im actually quite enjoying it. Now I can see why the book has so many fans...I prefer it alot more to Harry Potter, which I stopped reading in the middle of the 5th book because I honestly found it uninteresting...dont know what all the hype around the Harry Potter books is about...

After reading this first Hunger Games novel, I will try and start with the first Game of Thrones book and then after read The Girl Who Played With Fire (having already read the first and watched the movie, though imo the book was waaaay better than the movie) before coming back to the Hunger Games.
Good times await indeed. :)

Karakand

Wait, maybe I misread this. Did you die inside because you planned to read the book or liked the book?

I died inside reading the lives of North Koreans in the tritest of marketing's trite vocabulary.

yY4KQ.gif

Ratrat

Almost finished with The Lost Fleet, which has been pretty fun. Going to read Gone with the Wind next.

Also The Hunger Games series is average at best. Dont believe the hype.

lacinius

Just finished and enjoyed, Assassin's Apprentice
512fyuyPesL._SY90_.jpg

Will be returning to the Farseer trilogy, but just to mix things up a bit will next start in on either...

have heard good things about, The Forever War
51JF1gGjMgL._SY90_.jpg

or/and then...

have also heard much praise for, Hyperion
51zwyTJNlWL._SY90_.jpg

I know that feel. I read the last Foundation book first by accident. :/

How do you read an entire book by accident?

Got it at a book sale for 25 cents. No cover or anything. Just started reading it at the sale and was liking it so I bought it, took it home, read it and then found out it was a part of a huge series. Ever since then though I have been going through Asimov's works chronologically to make up for my error. :b

Got it at a book sale for 25 cents. No cover or anything. Just started reading it at the sale and was liking it so I bought it, took it home, read it and then found out it was a part of a huge series. Ever since then though I have been going through Asimov's works chronologically to make up for my error. :b

Ha, that's gotta be one of the coolest ways of getting into a new series.

Top Bottom