• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2012)

FGMPR

Banned
Ancient+Rome.jpg

I'm a (very) minor history buff (I don't have as much time as I'd like to read about history outside of the topics I study) so I'm finding most of this pretty fascinating. There's a BBC series that goes along with it, however the book is so much more detailed that people who enjoyed the show should really go read this.

It covers eight defining moments in Roman history, from the Republic-era tension between the commons and the elite, through to Julius Cesar and Pompey the Great's civil war, to Augustus's rule and the end of the Julio-Claudian era to the sacking of Rome in the early 4th century by the Visigoths. It's been quite an enthralling read so far (I'm almost finished), so I guess I'd recommend it to anyone who has a passing interest in learning about the Roman Empire and doesn't really know where to start, as its very broad and provides a good base in order to 'fill in the blanks' with more detailed accounts of the periods covered.

I finally finished the Mistborn Trilogy.

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

Ugh. I think the first book was my favorite. This one had so many problems. It was too repetitive. It beat you over the head with the philosophical/religious stuff -- especially the italicized parts that rarely revealed anything new. The italicized parts just made me think it was "Okay, here's what's going on with the story, stupid."

Spoiler about the struggle and ending:
The epic struggle between Ruin and Preservation was a good explanation of the world, but it's not like it's rocket science. I don't know why Sanderson had to over-explain it in so many pages. I did like the explanation of the Koloss, Inquisitors, and Kandra, but the whole Kandra's secret First Contract was disappointing. I thought they were going to do something awesome, not all mass suicide.

I also liked that the Lord Ruler slowly changed from the bad guy into a not so bad guy with originally good intentions.

The whole Sazed moving and reshaping the world thing felt clumsy. I think it was done in too many words and didn't have the right gravitas.

Good story, poor execution. Sanderson writes great action scenes and decent world-building, but I think he needs to work on other aspects of his storytelling.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I finally finished the Mistborn Trilogy.

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

Ugh. I think the first book was my favorite. This one had so many problems. It was too repetitive. It beat you over the head with the philosophical/religious stuff -- especially the italicized parts that rarely revealed anything new. The italicized parts just made me think it was "Okay, here's what's going on with the story, stupid."

Spoiler about the struggle and ending:
The epic struggle between Ruin and Preservation was a good explanation of the world, but it's not like it's rocket science. I don't know why Sanderson had to over-explain it in so many pages. I did like the explanation of the Koloss, Inquisitors, and Kandra, but the whole Kandra's secret First Contract was disappointing. I thought they were going to do something awesome, not all mass suicide.

I also liked that the Lord Ruler slowly changed from the bad guy into a not so bad guy with originally good intentions.

The whole Sazed moving and reshaping the world thing felt clumsy. I think it was done in too many words and didn't have the right gravitas.

Good story, poor execution. Sanderson writes great action scenes and decent world-building, but I think he needs to work on other aspects of his storytelling.

I'm convinced that if Sanderson had taken the second half of The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages, thrown out the first half of each novel, and smooshed them into one book and released it as the conclusion to the story that started in The Final Empire, it'd be regarded as a modern classic. But as is, I mostly agree with you.

I'm convinced that if Sanderson had taken the second half of The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages, thrown out the first half of each novel, and smooshed them into one book and released it as the conclusion to the story that started in The Final Empire, it'd be regarded as a modern classic. But as is, I mostly agree with you.

Yes. Maybe I'll smush it together in my mind and pretend THAT was what I read.

ultron87

The only part that truly dragged for me was the whole siege section of Well of Ascension.

I did like how Hero of Ages:
brought all the Hemalurgy and voices in the head stuff together at the end to show how Ruin had been influencing pretty much everyone.

bengraven

roGHy.jpg

I'm really fucking enjoying this. Stumbled a little in the beginning due to the rather petulant way the hero's world-weary outlook comes across as but bam, things get moving and it's been a real pleasureable ride. I hope the second half of the book can keep the ass-kicking going.

The second one has some epic shit going down. Loved it.

This sounds really awesome actually. Never heard of it until now.

The only part that truly dragged for me was the whole siege section of Well of Ascension.

I did like how Hero of Ages:
brought all the Hemalurgy and voices in the head stuff together at the end to show how Ruin had been influencing pretty much everyone.

Yes, especially (Zane Spoiler)
when the 3rd book revealed why Zane had that spike in his body that he was super paranoid about.
The 3rd book needed more subtle things like that. Not the paragraphs of over-explaining!

Jarlaxle

Just Finished:

BlackHouse.jpg

I really enjoyed it. I liked it alot more than The Talisman. It did make me a bit squeemish with the subject matter at times and it's something I won't be discussing with my wife at all but I was kind of sad to put it down. I read the Dark Tower awhile ago now so I can't remember if Jack Sawyer wound up showing up in those later books or not.

Next Up:

4956466966_a379892b90_z.jpg

It's been awhile since I read Hyperion (which I loved) and I figure I should give the sequel a chance even though I heard it's not as good. I'm not sure whether I'll be reading the Endymion stuff though. I hope I can remember everything.

Karakand

To end the Final Empire and restore freedom, Vin killed the Lord Ruler. But as a result, the Deepness---the lethal form of the ubiquitous mists---is back, along with increasingly heavy ashfalls and ever more powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed.

ahahaha

Dresden

fpKHz.jpg

awwwww yeah. What a fucking ride. There's a few things that nagged at me when I finished but overall it was a real good time.

Near the end I got these terrifying Mass Effect flashbacks where I was convinced that the ending would just be really, really fucking terrible and it'd ruin the entire experience while raping my cat in the next room, but thankfully it all ended well*. Thank the lord.

*fuck you bioware

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Just started to read The Hunger Games. Too much talk, not enough teenagers killing each other. I'm only on chapter nine, though.

When they get to the teenagers killing each other, is it like a Modern Warfare 3 match? I can sense the knife kills coming, all that's missing from what I can tell is teens calling each other sexual epithets and the occasional tea bagging.

m3k

absolute friends by john le carre

spy novel by the guy who wrote the spy who came in from the cold... makes my train rides to work go quickly

count of monte cristo

haha i read one chapter a night... the chapters are short because of it being a serialised story before print... i only have a hundred a fifty chapters to go haha i loved the movie from the 00's and i now appreciate it more because im reading the book

Puddles

Banned
I honestly thought The Fall of Hyperion was a huge dropoff from the first novel.

CEO Gladstone just isn't very interesting, and she's in about half the scenes. It really suffered by expanding its focus away from the pilgrimage.

I also thought that
telling the story through the Keats cyborg who somehow takes 10 naps a day
was a lame gimmick.

bengraven

Jesus Christ. I've been slowly reading through some Walking Dead graphic novels as well.

GRRM ain't got nothing on Kirkman. Man, woman, child...fuck's sake...main character, secondary character...

It's like every few issues I need to breathe.

And I feel like I really really wish my son wasn't sleeping right now because I want to hug him.

This is seriously the best zombie...hell, post-apocalyptic fiction in decades.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
uWZDz.jpg

Just finished this. Started this series instead of reading more Ice and Fire while I wait for season 2 of Game of Thrones to finish. I've read some of Keyes' older books and I like his priority on building believable cultures and languages and the actual plot is exciting in a similar way that Ice and Fire is, but some of the stock characters are kind of a bummer. Hoping they develop more over the series

I finished up Hunger Games. It was a short, enjoyable read, but...eh. I'm not very excited for the movie or the sequel. It seemed like there were a lot of lazy outs the author left herself. I try not to let myself hold the book to the impossibly high standards that the massive amount of praise would require, but I honestly don't understand what sets it apart from dozens of other books since then. Unless the English translation of Battle Royale was terrible, that book does pretty much everything Hunger Games tries to, but much better.

Still, I liked it enough that I'll read the next book, probably about the time the next movie is scheduled to come out.

Next up I think I'll head back to Bas Lag.
TheScar%281stEd%29.jpg

zethren

Banned
Just finished up the Hunger Games on my girlfriend's kindle. Loved it, and just in time for the movie in a few days.

After the movie, gonna jump into Catching Fire.

zethren

Banned
Catching Fire isn't bad, but Mockingjay is shit. Fair warning.

Well I've had fair warning that Mockinjay is the weakest of the three, my gf loves the series. I haven't gotten any details as to why though, really, other than that the author supposedly makes some strange choices in how the story develops.

Guess I'll see for myself soon enough.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Why We Get Sick?

I tried to post the cover image from Amazon and I failed.

I honestly thought The Fall of Hyperion was a huge dropoff from the first novel.

CEO Gladstone just isn't very interesting, and she's in about half the scenes. It really suffered by expanding its focus away from the pilgrimage.

I also thought that
telling the story through the Keats cyborg who somehow takes 10 naps a day
was a lame gimmick.

I've posted about this in a previous thread, so I'll just say yeah, I agree.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
franz-kafka-the-castle-unabridged-cd-audio-book-3778-p.jpg

Unfortunately, the book begins to falter around the time of Olga's long monologue (which should've been half its current length). I hope that the ending is strong.

I tried reading it. Really didnt like it

Though, I mostly read for characters, and that is the one thing that that book really seems to lack.

I dunno. I'm a pretty smart guy and all, but I just did not get the appeal of this book. It's a great idea that Eco's ego and intellect totally muck up.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
pUBhY.jpg

Taking a break from high fantasy with the first John Carter book. About half way through it. JC sure is manly man and a bit of a badass. Really hard to picture Taylor Kitsch while reading this. Maybe they should have gotten Don Draper or The Rock to play him in the movie and it wouldn't have tanked so hard at the BO. Oh well, lesson learned.

Mumei

Finished

30593.jpg
2213661.jpg

Both were great. Pnin was weaker as far as Nabokov goes, I thought, but weaker Nabokov is still excellent. The Graveyard Book really made me want to read The Jungle Book.

Currently Reading

6420767.jpg

Through the first two days of the story. So far I thought the first day was more interesting than the second, mostly because the theme of the second day became repetitive, whereas the first day had more amusing stories; Ser Cepparello deceving the friar and becoming a saint, Abraham the Jew witnessing the wickedness of the clergy at the Vatican and becoming a Christian, the story about the Marquise of Montferrat rebuffing the King of France, etc.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
started 'Wild Cards'

it's pretty interesting!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
6597651.jpg

The Wind-Up Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. Bought it without knowing anything about it, just went with the 'worthy successor to W. Gibson' hook on the cover. Which is awesome (the cover, that is). Best sci-fi I've read since Hyperion. Which I read a month ago. Proper world building, Bacigalupi's take on a futuristic Bangkok comes just as much to life as Scott Lynch's Camorr.

Daigoro

6597651.jpg

The Wind-Up Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. Bought it without knowing anything about it, just went with the 'worthy successor to W. Gibson' hook on the cover. Which is awesome (the cover, that is). Best sci-fi I've read since Hyperion. Which I read a month ago. Proper world building, Bacigalupi's take on a futuristic Bangkok comes just as much to life as Scott Lynch's Camorr.

i read the description for this book and was very tempted. the reviews were all over the place though. but going by reviews can be very hit and miss.

i think i should check it out.

Clegg

200px-Mockingjay.JPG

This was such a disappointment. I enjoyed the trilogy but there is so much thats gone wasted. Collins created an interesting world with an intriguing bsckstory and then decided not to elaborate on it at all. There were some momens in Mockingjay that made me wonder if Collins knew what she was doing.

Mastadon

Banned
6597651.jpg

Looks awesome, thanks!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
i read the description for this book and was very tempted. the reviews were all over the place though. but going by reviews can be very hit and miss.

i think i should check it out.

When it comes to music and literature I seem to seldomly agree with (professional) reviews :). For me the originality of the world and future depicted is reason enough, but the story is pretty good too. It doesn't have the subtility and wordplay of, say, David Mitchell, but it's decently written.

Numpt3

41plzu5Zz1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Currently reading this, about two retired BBC reporters who did a charity drive through Europe to Mongolia. I would love to do something like this.

This arrived in the post this morning...
posted.jpg

Divius

1984-cover.jpg

George Orwell - 1984
Well, that was something I could not put down. Great book. Onto George Orwell's Animal Farm

7613.jpg

After this I am planning to start the L.A. Quartet (The Black Dahlia/L.A. Confidential/The Big Nowhere/White Jazz) by James Ellroy, since I'm in that kind of mood after playing L.A. Noire.

f0rk

Anyone read any Warhammer 40k fiction? I was thinking of trying the Horus Heresy books, Horus Rising is good right?
I read Eisenhorn and most of Gaunt's Ghost a few years ago, has there been anything else really good?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Anyone read any Warhammer 40k fiction? I was thinking of trying the Horus Heresy books, Horus Rising is good right?
I read Eisenhorn and most of Gaunt's Ghost a few years ago, has there been anything else really good?

Anything by Dan Abnett is considered good-to-great Military Science Fiction.

Top Bottom