• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldvein

Banned
Yesterday I finished:

Terror_simmons.jpg

The Terror by Dan Simmons

The best way I can describe this book: Remember Sunshine? Specifically, remember how the first two-thirds of Sunshine is this really gripping, harrowing survival tale, and then it goes and fucks it all up in the last act by turning into a slasher film?

The Terror is like Sunshine done right. It's a brutal survival story that perfectly weaves its supernatural horror elements in with its historical fiction. I would say that the story kicks into gear around page 150, but the truth is that this book is constantly shifting into a higher gear every 50-ish pages, until eventually skidding into a batshit-crazy climax that contains some truly horrific imagery. While it stumbles a little bit at the veeery end, it's generally a great ride. My one major complaint is that some of the characters felt a bit underdeveloped for a 700+ page novel. Simmons develops everyone just enough to shock you when something horrible happens to them, but only 4 or 5 major characters felt really fleshed out to me.

nice way to talk about books

i majorly agree

Finished 2030, interesting story by Mr. Brooks was hoping for a few more lols.

One third through Blood Meridian. Not sure what I was expecting other than expectations being extremely high. I usually read about 100 pages a day but only manage around 30 with BM taking so much time for rereading and reflection.

Stumbled upon Dunce Academy and their chapter summaries. The reviews have really helped my confidence while reading a very intimidating but rewarding book.

Masenkame

"I had abandoned the ambitions I had entertained. I had wanted life not to bother me too much, and had succeeded—and how pitiful that was." - p.109

The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes is a short novel that packs quite a punch, exploring memory and aging, lost relationships and regret. The novel follows Tony Webster, a man enjoying his retirement peacefully until the will from the mother of a college girlfriend arrives and prods him into recollection as well as a present-day mystery. Barnes' prose is deft at examining the vagaries of memory and perception, and the outcome of self-inflicted obfuscation.

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré is an interesting Cold War-era spy novel that is well worth reading. The novel is one of le Carre's early attempts at a "realistic" depiction of espionage, and it succeeds there, using intricate plotting and a harsh examination of the grayness of actors on both sides of the conflict.

"If it is remembered, it is not lost." - ~p.187

Cards of Grief by Jane Yolen is an anthropological science fiction novel that takes a look at what many of these types of stories seem to be about, the effect of one culture upon another. The novel is structured as a series of dialogues, interviews, and cross examinations, recorded as audio logs. The speakers are both the scientists and the inhabitants of an alien matriarchal society that is centered around death and expressions of grief and sorrow. Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness and Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow both came to mind while reading this, yet Yolen's novel goes to different places.

Yolen can be poetic in her prose, having only dialogue to express the sentiments of the characters, which forces quite a few monologues. The main human character who is one of the causes of change on this world isn't all that fleshed out, yet the aliens are well developed, their motivations understood. I didn't like the ending of the novel concerning the personal lives of the characters, but the changes for the society and culture were a compelling development.

---

I am currently in the middle of The Best of Gene Wolfe: A Definitive Retrospective of His Finest Short Fiction by Gene Wolfe, seemingly edited by Wolfe himself with short afterwords for each of the stories. This is my first dive into Wolfe's work, and I'm liking what I see. Some standouts in this collection so far are The Fifth Head of Cerberus, Hour of Trust, Forlesen, and The Hero as Werwolf.

Pau

Kalpa%20Imperial.jpg

Collection of fables about a fictional empire that continually rises and falls.

"If it is remembered, it is not lost." - ~p.187

Cards of Grief by Jane Yolen is an anthropological science fiction novel that takes a look at what many of these types of stories seem to be about, the effect of one culture upon another. The novel is structured as a series of dialogues, interviews, and cross examinations, recorded as audio logs. The speakers are both the scientists and the inhabitants of an alien matriarchal society that is centered around death and expressions of grief and sorrow. Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness and Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow both came to mind while reading this, yet Yolen's novel goes to different places.
These both seem to be right up my alley!

ShaneB

Finished City of Thieves last night, loved it, and very easy to recommend. VERY close to a 5/5, but I docked it slightly because at the end
I really wanted more emotional impact from Kolya's death. I absolutely loved him throughout, and to have his death come across as comedic in how it happened, it just never made it hit has hard as I hoped.
Interested to hear what others that read it thought.

Now to decide what's next. With GoT returning soon, I can see myself wanting to dive into something medival, but I'm still itching for more football, so maybe that, or something sci-fi to contrast the GoT, etc etc. Who knows!

Started The Sister Brothers on Sunday and am about halfway through now.

Great book.

Mumei

Finally started my copy of Berserk Vol 1 last night.

I like it and the art is pretty good despite what I've heard people say. I've seen the anime, so some of it is familiar to me, but there's a lot of new stuff too.

Yay!

I was just wondering if you'd started this yesterday.

And yeah, there should be some familiar elements (e.g. Guts coming to a town, people talking about a Black Swordsman, the girl getting harassed / threatened, the fight at the tavern or whatever it was, fight with some demonic creature), but the manga actually dedicates three volumes to that arc, while the anime spends barely a full episode on it and gives you a highly abridged version.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yay!

I was just wondering if you'd started this yesterday.

I was thinking about you yesterday too, boo!
yqA768R.gif

And yeah, there should be some familiar elements (e.g. Guts coming to a town, people talking about a Black Swordsman, the girl getting harassed / threatened, the fight at the tavern or whatever it was, fight with some demonic creature), but the manga actually dedicates three volumes to that arc, while the anime spends barely a full episode on it and gives you a highly abridged version.

Yeah, even though it's been a few years since I've seen the anime, I immediately picked up on the fact that this arc isn't in the series at all, minus the battle with the snake monster. I'm looking forward to getting the rest of the volumes so I can see how it plays out.

I also can't believe they left Puck out of the series! S/he seems like the perfect kind of character to put in an anime.

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold[/i]
by John le Carré is an interesting Cold War-era spy novel that is well worth reading. The novel is one of le Carre's early attempts at a "realistic" depiction of espionage, and it succeeds there, using intricate plotting and a harsh examination of the grayness of actors on both sides of the conflict.
I have always been intrigued by le Carre. Would you say that The Spy Who Came in from the Cold is a good book to check out by him?

Finished Jack London: An American Life.

Man, Dude led a crazy amazing life. In fact recent research shows he was the originator of the term #yolo.

Next up: Nikolai Leskov's The Enchanted Wanderer and Other Stories.

Here is the description from Amazon:

Nikolai Leskov's writing exploded the conventions of nineteenth-century Russian fiction. Here is the other Russia, mythical and untamed: an uneasy synthesis of Orthodoxy and Old Believers, a land populated by soldiers and monks, serfs and princes, Tartars and gypsies—a vast country brimming with the promise of magic.

These seventeen tales, some rooted in the oral tradition, others cast as sophisticated anecdotes, are all told in the voices of storytellers addressing their audience—allowing us, as readers, to join a group of listeners. Innovative in form and rich in wordplay, the narratives unfurl in startlingly modern ways. The great gift of this new translation allows us to hear all the nuances of Leskov’s brilliant language.

Masenkame

I have always been intrigued by le Carre. Would you say that The Spy Who Came in from the Cold is a good book to check out by him?

Yeah, I think so, It's the only le Carre novel I've read, so I can't judge it in context of his other work, though the film version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is great. The novel is subtle and has depth along with some pretty good prose, so check it out.

These both seem to be right up my alley!

Cool, I definitely recommend it.

FourMyle

vO03c9L.jpg

I read M. John Harrison's Light some years ago and enjoyed it mainly for its excellent prose and imagery, so I decided to pick this up because I've heard it is heavily inspired by The Book of the New Sun and The Dying Earth, my two favorite works of fantasy. I hope it's good!

Karakand

I'm a bit nonplussed by the assertion that scores are somehow arrogant.

When I score things, it's simply a subjective representation of how much I enjoyed it. I don't think that a book I gave 5/5 stars to is necessarily better than a book I gave 3/5 to; it just means that I liked it more, or perhaps got more out of it.

Sorry for not replying sooner (especially with the thread ending soon), but if you're confused by my position I think you should reread your second paragraph. Respectfully, it comes off as self-important to me. (And yes I realize that I am accusing someone of engaging in self-important behavior.)

There are (especially here and now) almost limitless avenues to meaninglessly express ourselves. (For example, a certain nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers.) I don't feel very comfortable doing that at the expense of something that could possibly have actual meaning, even if it only had aesthetic meaning. I wouldn't rate a speech or painting for the same reason.

i just finished the CRYING OF LOT 49. dont quite know what to make of it. yall read that book?

Give this a watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dtqt0bXb4Y
Not the only ways to read the text(s).

FourMyle

Yesterday I finished:

Terror_simmons.jpg

The Terror by Dan Simmons

The best way I can describe this book: Remember Sunshine? Specifically, remember how the first two-thirds of Sunshine is this really gripping, harrowing survival tale, and then it goes and fucks it all up in the last act by turning into a slasher film?

The Terror is like Sunshine done right. It's a brutal survival story that perfectly weaves its supernatural horror elements in with its historical fiction. I would say that the story kicks into gear around page 150, but the truth is that this book is constantly shifting into a higher gear every 50-ish pages, until eventually skidding into a batshit-crazy climax that contains some truly horrific imagery. While it stumbles a little bit at the veeery end, it's generally a great ride. My one major complaint is that some of the characters felt a bit underdeveloped for a 700+ page novel. Simmons develops everyone just enough to shock you when something horrible happens to them, but only 4 or 5 major characters felt really fleshed out to me.

The Terror! I actually did not enjoy the horror/fantasy aspects of it much. They didn't bother me, but I think the book would have been better without them. The amount of research that went into the book shows. Dan Simmons goes to great lengths to make the reader feel like they are every bit as involved in the happenings of the ship and its surroundings as members of the crew are, and it works. This book is Man vs Environment through and through. I specially loved the way in which he handles disease. When people start dropping like flies and neither the reader nor the characters know what the hell it is that's afflicting them you can't help but feel the sheer intensity/urgency of it all.

A great read and I definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in non-batshit crazy works of Dan Simmons.

Man, that whole plot line hit me hard. If you continue with the series, you'll be glad to see the ripples of that event in later books

Already in the process of continuing :) Yeah, it hit me really hard too. I'm still not sure how or when exactly how it happened. I blinked and suddenly the whole scenario was grave and touching and had me gripped firmly by the emotional throat.

It's also been really... cozy? opening book 3 and seeing a bunch of the characters that were off-stage through all of book 2.

It's also bizarre feeling DESPERATE and EXCITED at the idea of more exposition when fantasy books usually have the exact opposite problem. Erikson did something horribly correct here.

Bazza

Started on 'Princep's Fury' last night, really enjoyed the series so far.

Because its been really slow at work this week, the times its really quiet my brain keeps going over what I have read so far trying to work out what will happen next, I do like it when I get sucked into a series like this, its quite fun seeing if things turn out the way you assume they might.

Mumei

Sorry for not replying sooner (especially with the thread ending soon), but if you're confused by my position I think you should reread your second paragraph. Respectfully, it comes off as self-important to me. (And yes I realize that I am accusing someone of engaging in self-important behavior.)

There are (especially here and now) almost limitless avenues to meaninglessly express ourselves. (For example, a certain nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers.) I don't feel very comfortable doing that at the expense of something that could possibly have actual meaning, even if it only had aesthetic meaning. I wouldn't rate a speech or painting for the same reason.

My apologies in advance if this come across as tetchy; it probably just sounds that way because I'm at work and not spending tons of time editing out my natural cantankerousness!

I wasn't having an issue understanding what you were saying; I was just surprised that you would express that opinion and unsure (I suppose confused might work here, actually!) about how to respond to it, mostly because I saw it as a self-important attack on ... anyone who gives ratings to anything. And that struck me as a rather more arrogant position to stake out than someone using a system of ratings to categorize how much they like something.

I'm not sure how meaninglessly expressing myself in the form of a review or a write-up or a description of how I felt about a book - which would be based on how I responded to it and what I got out of it - is necessarily less arrogant than giving a numerical rating to something which is an ad hoc representation of what I got out of it. In both cases, I would be foregrounding my experience of the book. What is the appropriately humble way of expressing how I feel about a book, exactly?

Oh, and since you mentioned it: I would also feel odd rating a speech, a painting (or a musical performance, for that matter) - but I wouldn't feel odd about giving a rating to a movie or a video game. I've tried giving ratings to musical performances, and it just feels sort of odd to me. I haven't thought about why this is before so... I'll try to speculate~

I don't feel at all comfortable talking about paintings or speeches, and ratings feel sort of pointless because there's a very broad swathe of paintings that I like looking at and I don't find myself differentiating significantly on my experience of them. On the other hand, I have strong opinions about certain kinds of vocal performances (e.g. pop vocal performances; I really like, say, symphony music but I wouldn't feel comfortable either rating it or talking about a performance) and so I feel more comfortable talking about them than giving them ratings, because I feel like ratings would be overly reductive and not even particularly representative about how I feel. So, I think it's partially a matter of how confident I am in my ability to express the reasons behind my opinions on a given subject. If I don't feel comfortable at all, to the point where I'm not even differentiating precisely how much I like different things in a category, I wouldn't feel comfortable either rating it or talking about it. If I feel really comfortable, I would prefer talking about it. Books land somewhere in the middle, which is probably why I feel comfortable rating them but too insecure about my opinions to write them out. I have tried, of course, though it doesn't come easily and I don't feel very confident about it.

bishopp35

Arrived today and I'm HYPED to read.

PjF2A4r.jpg

Darron Acemoglu who is currently the one of the most important economist alive (He is a safe bet to win a Nobel someday) had this to say about the author

“. Occupy Wall Street has brought the 1% to the attention of the wider public, but it was Atkinson, Piketty and Saez who brought it to the attention of the academic community over the last decade.”

http://fivebooks.com/interviews/daron-acemoglu-on-inequality

ShaneB

Just started this, let's see if it sticks, off to a good start. Seems like it may have a lot in common with 'A Prayer for Owen Meany'. Been blazing through so many shorter books I think I'm due for something longer. edit: Little farther in and can see this sticking. Enjoying the narration and characters, and it's already feeling like a fast read because of that, and certainly gripped enough to see what the heck is going on.

Now Reading...

Karu

Started The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. I have not read fantasy in years. This will be it, the maybe-finale one, that will decide, whether or not I will continue with this particular genre.

Other than that still Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie. And got a new amazon package with Homicide by David Simon (High hopes!) and When we were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro, my favourite author. Only two books to read from him and can't find any news about a new project (Last one, Nocturnes came out in 2009).

Finally finished

Cities_of_the_Plain_Cover.jpg

and thus the trilogy. My wife also recently finished the trilogy and we talked about our impressions. Her favorite was the second I think mine is still the first. The third was good but the somewhat cartoonish villainry of Eduardo seemed out of place and almost hackish, and the epilogue was sort of a final bitter pill to what was otherwise some lovely expository discussion of the working of horses and the end of the American West. I suppose Blood Meridian is up next in the McCarthy oeuvre.

Currently reading

linoptcover.gif

Layers of limned definitions create a vision of timeless mathematical truth. </kakutani> Don't be so jealous!

Bazza

Finished First Lord's Fury last night, really wish the Codex Alera series was another couple of books long but I always think that when I get to the end of a series.

Now i have to go through the process of trying to work out what to attack next.

Paganmoon

Just finished Shadow and Betrayal by Daniel Abraham. It's an omnibus edition of the two first books in his Long Price quartet. Shadow in Summer and Betrayal in Winter. Enjoyed it, he does big expansive worlds very well (As he's done in his The Dagger and Coin series). But the story was very predictable, some characters really interesting, others utterly boring.

Got the second omnibus ready to read, feels strange reading a series that you know has ended, unlike many other series out there atm, that well go on forever, or you don't know when the next/last book is coming out (I'm looking at you Rothfuss and GRRM!).

Finally finished

Cities_of_the_Plain_Cover.jpg

and thus the trilogy. My wife also recently finished the trilogy and we talked about our impressions. Her favorite was the second I think mine is still the first. The third was good but the somewhat cartoonish villainry of Eduardo seemed out of place and almost hackish, and the epilogue was sort of a final bitter pill to what was otherwise some lovely expository discussion of the working of horses and the end of the American West. I suppose Blood Meridian is up next in the McCarthy oeuvre.

Hoh boy do I want to read The Crossing again.

Instead I'm reading a Biography of Emerson and a collection of short stories by Raymond Carver.

Mumei

Sigh. That moment when you realize a book is longer only because it seems to go on tangent after tangent and just loses any sense of focus. Interest quickly fading on this one.

I hate unnecessary padding, and especially in nonfiction. It is particularly annoying when it is apparent that an author is repeating the same points, with the same phrasing, not because it is necessary or the point bore repeating but because there's not enough content to fill the 200-some pages.

ShaneB

I hate unnecessary padding, and especially in nonfiction. It is particularly annoying when it is apparent that an author is repeating the same points, with the same phrasing, not because it is necessary or the point bore repeating but because there's not enough content to fill the 200-some pages.

I understand character building, and giving backstory is one way to do that, but within a very short span of a character simply putting together dinner, there's been multiple instances of backstory given, and it jumps back and forth, and it's just a complete mess and really limits any sort of continuing sense of story progression. The simple idea of a story trying to build a foundation of "what happens next" is really put on hold when there's so many tangents.

17262203.jpg

The most recent book I finished was Margaret Atwood's "MaddAddam," the final entry in her Oryx and Crake trilogy. And god, it's a disappointment.

Oryx and Crake was a fantastic dystopian cautionary tale. Just amazing in its detail and world building and I marveled at her ability to construct this horrifying yet oddly plausible glimpse into the near future. At the same time, the novel also functions as this very realistic and relateable bildungsroman of a young boy. You wouldn't expect this elderly woman on the book jacket to write about the childhood of a boy in such an authentic manner, or at least I didn't. But she does, and it feels truthful in a way that the best coming of age stories do..

Of course, Oryx and Crake isn't a perfect story. I would say that the character of Oryx is a cypher and not really a character at all. She's just the object of desire for the two main characters, in my eyes. There didn't seem to be much to her, and it felt like she was in the story mainly to allow Atwood to divert the book into her own personal soapbox to preach about the horrors of child sex slavery in southeast Asia. Which we all already know is horrible. So that whole section of the book feels out of place and doesn't contribute anything to the rest of her story which focuses on the dangers of genetic engineering and corporations run amok.

So overall... really enjoyed Oryx and Crake. The sequel The Year of the Flood was not quite as good, but I also loved it, simply because it gave us more of that incredible world that we were introduced to. There were a few nagging coincidences that seemed a little unlikely, but I forgave them because the new characters were intriguing and seeing the same world from a new fresh perspective was fun. It was a bildungsroman from the opposite sex's point of view and that was refreshing.

But MaddAddam goes way too far and completely flies off into crazy town. Huge tracts of the novel read like really cheap romance novels, with strong female characters established in the previous books now reduced to pining away for men in flowery internal narration that is positively vomit inducing. Where did this soap opera nonsense come from? I dunno, maybe Margaret Atwood fell in love while writing this book and it inevitably crept in. But I don't like it.

The coincidences that you started noticing in Year of the Flood now just completely take over the book and become ridiculous and overwhelming in their absurdity. Apparently... the only people who can manage to survive the apocalypse were all conveniently from Jimmy's homeroom. And ended up dating him at one time in his life. Wait, what? What? Jesus H Christ... it's just goofy nonsense.

And let's talk about Jimmy. The great, sympathetic character from the first book who we were missing from the second novel. Well, now we're gonna get to go back to this guy. Oh wait... except he's in a damn coma for half of the book. I mean, the whole reason we got drawn into this trilogy in the first place was because we loved this complicated, somewhat damaged boy from Oryx and Crake. He was a relateable slacker and we cheered on his perseverance in the face of doomsday. So just dragging it out and keeping him out of the first half of the book just felt needlessly cruel and frustrating.

But things don't really get any better when he wakes from his coma. Because Atwood seems to have forgotten how to write Jimmy. He's not sympathetic or likeable now... he's just kinda crude and distant. I dunno, I really liked Jimmy in the first book but here, he's pretty much wasted as a character. There's no bond between the character and the reader, which might have been Atwood's intentions I suppose. Perhaps she felt she'd drained him of all narrative potential at the end of the first novel. And then, Atwood literally wastes the character by killing him off at the end. But it's not even done well... it's practically done off camera, which is absurd. What an unceremonious end for this once compelling protagonist.

And finally, I've gotta address the most disturbing and tasteless aspect of the novel... which are the pregnancies of the female characters in the book. There is no reason why Atwood had to shroud these in secrecy for most of the book, while somehow justifying it by explaining that these women wouldn't know whether they had been gangraped by a tribe of strange blue men. That just does not make any sense to me. It's insulting and icky and made me wonder about the state of Atwood's mind. If a bunch of well-meaning blue men suddenly grabbed you and started running a train on you... I think you'd remember that. I don't believe this is something that would be in doubt or forgotten about.

I can't help feeling that MaddAddam was simply an opportunity for Atwood to cash in on the success and popularity of the first two books. She had to whip up something to cap off the trilogy and managed to conjure up something monstrous and yet flimsy in narrative. I'd say just steer clear and keep rereading the first two novels.

Bazza

Can someone suggest a something science fictiony, a series preferably. I enjoyed the Culture books so something like those or the other end of the scale, after reading Discworld last year and The Dresden files early this month something in a science fiction setting with humour would also go down well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ugh, that's why I didn't order at Amazon. I thought the bookstore near me would have it, but their shipment got delayed too. Luckily, the comic book store had it in.

I live in a small town so my only other option was Wal-Mart and I'm pretty certain they don't carry graphic novels. ;__;

This just means that you can catch up on Berserk and Golden Girls!
iQscfDCWB8jPu.png

I finished Vol 1 two days ago and ordered volumes 2, 3 & 4 earlier today, but they won't be here before Saga Vol 3. :/

I've been reading Fables Vol 1 though and I have the next two volumes after that to tide me over.

Can someone suggest a something science fictiony, a series preferably. I enjoyed the Culture books so something like those or the other end of the scale, after reading Discworld last year and The Dresden files early this month something in a science fiction setting with humour would also go down well.

Not humorous, but several of us loved the Expanse series. There are currently three books out with a fourth hitting this summer. They're space opera goodness with great characters, lots of fun action, and a well designed plot. Start with Leviathan Wakes.

I live in a small town so my only other option was Wal-Mart and I'm pretty certain they don't carry graphic novels.

If you're taking comic trades, instocktrades.com is amazing. Everything is at least 40% off (even brand new stuff) and they have the most amazing packaging known to man. I'd trust them to pack my grandmother's fine China.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
If you're taking comic trades, instocktrades.com is amazing. Everything is at least 40% off (even brand new stuff) and they have the most amazing packaging known to man. I'd trust them to pack my grandmother's fine China.

Where are you buying them from? I ask because I checked on Instocktrades and Berserk volumes are all 45% off.

Ooh, thanks for bringing that to my attention! I didn't know that place existed. I've been getting my comics from Amazon because I usually have credit there, but next time I'll probably try to order from instocktrades to save some $$z.

RzWQdB0m.png

Just Finished Franz Kafka's The Trial. I'm still not totally in love with Kafka although that may just be a symptom of his works largely being unfinished and published by another. My favourite part of this was when Josef K is told the parable 'Before The Law'.

I'm currently ~250 pages into Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It's been pretty fun so far.

jred2k

I'm about 500 pages through The Goldfinch and it just continues to get better and better. I'm hoping to finish it this weekend so I can join in on the GAF reads... thread for April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom