• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished First Lord's Fury last night, really wish the Codex Alera series was another couple of books long but I always think that when I get to the end of a series.

Now i have to go through the process of trying to work out what to attack next.

It was pretty fun series, right? I did get kind of annoyed at the end at how
perfect the main character seemed to be (later amplified by the predictable appearance of his repressed super powers),
but I enjoyed each one. Still haven't dived back into his Dresden stuff, but maybe when I done with my current series and tackle Sanderson's latest in the Stormlight saga. Have you tried Sanderson's stuff yet...?

Really enjoying how the stories are gradually intertwining.

Cryptonomicon is one of my absolute favorite books. Glad you're enjoying it. Make sure you read The Big U too. I don't care if Stephenson hates it! Have you read any Gibson?

Jimothy

Finished My Bondage and My Freedom by Frederick Douglass and I think it's one of the best books I've ever read, maybe even the best. The writing is lyrical and he has so many profound things to say about slavery and humanity in general. Wish an adaptation of this instead of 12 Years a Slave could have been THE slavery movie made by Hollywood. Oh well.

Bazza

It was pretty fun series, right? I did get kind of annoyed at the end at how
perfect the main character seemed to be (later amplified by the predictable appearance of his repressed super powers),
but I enjoyed each one. Still haven't dived back into his Dresden stuff, but maybe when I done with my current series and tackle Sanderson's latest in the Stormlight saga. Have you tried Sanderson's stuff yet...?

Cryptonomicon is one of my absolute favorite books. Glad you're enjoying it. Make sure you read The Big U too. I don't care if Stephenson hates it! Have you read any Gibson?

Yea it was quite predictable, from the first book I had an idea of how things would go but getting from the start to the end was really enjoyable. All the main characters were well written, there wasn't a chapter where I thought "ahh great, this character better try get through this chapter quick".

I have mentioned it before but I really enjoy books that have multiple races of any kind be it some kind of fantasy race like the canim or like the minds in the Culture books, because the characters are not human a writer has to do a good job of making the come across as something completely alien and different rather than being a reskinned human. I think the races in the codex alera were quite well done especially Kitai, her confusion of the Aleran way of life came across really well.

The Dresden books are great and well worth finishing, he reminds me alot of Rincewind in the discworld books.

Not read Sanderson's stuff but its something to look at, still deciding what to read.

Finished Prince of Thorns.

Goodreads review: A dark coming of age story that does a very good job of setting the tone of its narrator, Prince Jorg, who is set on avenging the murder of his mother and brother. While the tale is well told, I did struggle to accept Jorg's age.
Also, the battle with Corion at the end came with a deus ex machina.
However, the world building is top notch and Jorg - while perhaps a bit too smug - is an interesting character. I will definitely be picking up the second in this series.

But perhaps not quite yet. Gonna take a look at my Kindle library to see what's next.

Pau

fUHHdZ4.jpg

Just started on this. My first Gene Wolfe book. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but I'm certainly interested in seeing where it goes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What made you start on Long Sun instead of New Sun?

I feel that New Sun is the superior work (although I only read 1/4 of Long Sun).

Haly

I don't think the first one is that great.

The Shadow of the Torturer is more immediately gripping.

Pau

I feel that New Sun is the superior work (although I only read 1/4 of Long Sun).
Purely the setting. I wanted to read a story that took place on a spaceship instead of on earth or another planet.

Haly

Shit, it's on a spaceship? I was under the impression there were on the inner surface of some cylindrical space colony.

Lanark

Just started on this. My first Gene Wolfe book. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but I'm certainly interested in seeing where it goes.

Keep in mind though that The Book of the Long Sun is a sequel series to the Book of the New Sun. Now, don't worry, those connections are very small, and not much more than some fun cameo's for people that know the Book of the New Sun. But the Book of the Long Sun is immediately followed by the Book of the Short Sun, and a lot of the cast of the Short Sun comes from the Long Sun books. But the Short Sun series is connected in a much more direct way to the New Sun (I don't want to type Sun anymore) series, in such a way that you'll lose a lot if you read the Short Sun without knowing the New Sun.

Shit, it's on a spaceship? I was under the impression there were on the inner surface of some cylindrical space colony.

Yeah, that's pretty much a spoiler.

Haly

Sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun sun

Salazar

Farmelo's biography of Paul Dirac.
Peter Stothard's memoir/musing on Cleopatra.
Steven Erikson's Edge of Darkness
Iain Sinclair's "Edge of the Orison"

duckroll

I just finished reading On Blue's Waters (yes, I got another Gene Wolfe itch and finally started in Short Sun), and I'm not sure if I should post impressions here or just wait for the April thread.

Pau

I wasn't sure if it was a spoiler or not since every synopsis I found of the book mentioned it. <<

Haly

I wasn't sure if it was a spoiler or not since every synopsis I found of the book mentioned it. <<

Oh, I wasn't worried about being spoiled. Just surprised, cause it didn't cross my mind that they could've been inside a spaceship (unless it's a giant worldship or something).

It's always fun playing fiction archaeology with Wolfe novels.

Speaking of Gene Wolfe and the Sun goodness, I'm finishing up book two of the New Sun, The Claw of the Conciliator. It's at times the most amazing book I've ever read, and at times infuriating. Only about 80% of what I've read makes any sense, and there are constant allusions to future events that leave me scratching my head.

While I'm sure they will serve a purpose, the weakest aspect for me has been including the verbatim text from the story and the play. Those parts seem relevant, but based on what we've seen in the world so far they just fly right over my humble head.

The greatest aspects? Everything else. Everything.

Monocle

I feel the same way. I've just started the fourth and final Long Sun book, and although I've really enjoyed the series so far, The Book of The New Sun, with Urth of the New Sun, is definitely better IMO. There's a depth and scale and subtlety there that Long Sun has barely touched. I do love Long Sun's setting and characters though, and I'd certainly recommend it. Just not before reading NS + Urth. And maybe The Fifth Head of Cerberus.

Speaking of Gene Wolfe and the Sun goodness, I'm finishing up book two of the New Sun, The Claw of the Conciliator. It's at times the most amazing book I've ever read, and at times infuriating. Only about 80% of what I've read makes any sense, and there are constant allusions to future events that leave me scratching my head.

While I'm sure they will serve a purpose, the weakest aspect for me has been including the verbatim text from the story and the play. Those parts seem relevant, but based on what we've seen in the world so far they just fly right over my humble head.

Just don't forget to read Urth of the New Sun after you've finished the series. It makes the previous four books ten times better. Prepare for a toe-curling mindsplosion.

Pau

Keep in mind though that The Book of the Long Sun is a sequel series to the Book of the New Sun. Now, don't worry, those connections are very small, and not much more than some fun cameo's for people that know the Book of the New Sun. But the Book of the Long Sun is immediately followed by the Book of the Short Sun, and a lot of the cast of the Short Sun comes from the Long Sun books. But the Short Sun series is connected in a much more direct way to the New Sun (I don't want to type Sun anymore) series, in such a way that you'll lose a lot if you read the Short Sun without knowing the New Sun.
I was debating whether to start with the New Sun, but I figured if I enjoy this one, I can always go back and read those without loosing too much.

He doesn't seem to like exposition, which is refreshing, but also leaves me a bit confused.

Cross-posting from the 50/50 thread.

Gene Wolfe - The Claw of the Conciliator (1981) - 30 Mar, &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½ - I mean, wow. What a challenging, insane series this is turning out to be. I'm not really sure how to describe everything I'm reading or even how well it will all come together. Strange forces are pulling the characters along a rather twisted journey, but I won't lie and pretend to understand everything that's happening.

Fine, I'll admit to understanding very little.

WTF?!? I began this series with the notion that it was a sword-and-board fantasy tale, only to have aliens, alternate dimensions, and FREAKING ROBOTS work their way into the story. WTF is up with the cannibalism of Thecla unlocking her memories within Severian after first consuming the gland of an alien creature?!? WTF is up with the moss man from the future being held captive in a freaking carnival?!? WTF is up with the giant ogre/sea creature lady in the water?!? WTF is up with Baldanders non-stop growth?!? WTF is up with Jolenta's withering appearance?!? WTF is up with the flying black carpet of death?!? WTF?!?

Mumei

Cross-posting from the 50/50 thread.

Gene Wolfe - The Claw of the Conciliator (1981) - 30 Mar, &#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;½ - I mean, wow. What a challenging, insane series this is turning out to be. I'm not really sure how to describe everything I'm reading or even how well it will all come together. Strange forces are pulling the characters along a rather twisted journey, but I won't lie and pretend to understand everything that's happening.

Fine, I'll admit to understanding very little.

WTF?!? I began this series with the notion that it was a sword-and-board fantasy tale, only to have aliens, alternate dimensions, and FREAKING ROBOTS work their way into the story. WTF is up with the cannibalism of Thecla unlocking her memories within Severian after first consuming the gland of an alien creature?!? WTF is up with the moss man from the future being held captive in a freaking carnival?!? WTF is up with the giant ogre/sea creature lady in the water?!? WTF is up with Baldanders non-stop growth?!? WTF is up with Jolenta's withering appearance?!? WTF is up with the flying black carpet of death?!? WTF?!?

<3

When you've finished the first four books, you should see if your library has this book and read the chapter on The Book of the New Sun. It's quite interesting, especially since it came out before The Urth of the New Sun was written. If you can't find it, no real harm but it is something worth checking for.

But you must read The Urth of the New Sun!

ngower

Finished these today:

Before_Night_Falls_poster.jpg

Before Night Falls - Reinaldo Arenas

sagav2_1.jpg

Saga (vol. 2) - Brian K. Vaughn

16002136.jpg

3165444-02.jpg

Matt Fraction - Hawkeye: My Life As a Weapon (vol. 1) & Little Hits (vol. 2)

The Arenas book was kind of boring, but I read most of it while I was on a trip so I figured I might as well finish it. Really enjoying Saga and so-so on Hawkeye.

Will probably try to finish these three—which I've started, got about 1/3 through, and shelved for various reasons—in April...

Mockingjay.JPG

Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

windup-190x300.jpg

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami

a-clash-of-kings.jpg

A Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin

...before moving on to The Walking Dead.

I finished the Wind Up Bird Chronicle and felt like I had to immediately re-read it to understand what I read.

Yeah, that one kinda lost me by the end. Really loved the stuff between Toru and Kumiko, and with May Kasahara, but everything else just got a little too abstract and weird by the final third.

Paganmoon

Going to start on my first ever (non comic) star wars book, love the EU, but never went so far as books. So when James SA Corey announced they'd be writing a book about Han, well that sealed the deal. Have very high hopes for Honor Among Thieves.

Jintor

I think I liked Diamond Age a little more because it didn't stop to drop some hardcore maths on me every once in a while, and had a decidedly more fantasy/sci-fi bent to it. But this was hella good

TTG

I just started Cryptonomicon as well and I'm a bit wary. On one hand, Snow Crash was fun, on the other, RAMDE was not. So much so that I had to bail out after the airplane hijacking and subsequent... well, spoilars. Compounding my tentativeness is the size of this fucking book. Kindle page numbers can be misleading, but this thing weighs in at over 900.

duckroll

Screw it, I don't really want to hold my thoughts for another day. I think I'll just copy this post for the new thread whenever it's up.

I finished On Blue's Waters recently, the first entry in Wolfe's Book of the Short Sun.

Several things about the narrative format took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting it to be such a direct sequel to the Book of the Long Sun. With that story still somewhat fresh in my mind since I only read it last year, it felt really familiar right from the start, which is somewhat rare for any Wolfe story. Not only was the narrator a familiar face, but the terms, language, customs, etc all felt like I was coming home to an old friend. There's a surprising amount of meta-commentary in the narrative as well, with references and comments on the Long Sun story itself, both in terms of context, and in terms of the story actually being a book in the world of the narrative itself. It's really fun when good writers do fun stuff like that with their stories, and Wolfe ranks among the best.

As for the story itself, it's a pretty fun adventure tale told in a double narrative frame - the book is being written after the main adventure, but the author writing it is also experiencing dramatic events at the point of writing which is frequently mentioned and detailed as he writes. The main themes in Short Sun differ quite a bit from both New Sun and Long Sun due the setting being a somewhat recent human colonization of a new planet, and in that sense it actually reminds me a lot more of the stories told in Fifth Head of the Cerberus. It touches a little on post-colonial theory, as well as migration concerns - both economical and cultural, and on the fear of aborigines, fear of the unknowns in a new world, and the possible threat of shapeshifters. Being a huge fan of the Fifth Head of the Cerberus stories, I'm really happy that he found the time and interest to return to some of these themes and expand on them in a way which a much longer story would allow.

I'm making my way through In Green's Jungles now, and it just keeps getting better. Maybe when I'm done with Short Sun, I'll finally find the motivation to go through New Sun again some time this year. I've been meaning to for the last couple of years, but just lacked the push to really do it.

ShaneB

In a dilemma of wondering if I want to keep reading 'I Know This Much Is True', or to just wiki a synopsis and see what happens, because I don't think I can deal with all the rambling and endless diversions going on. In the process of looking for something else to read. The Ocean at the End of the Lane is a good possibility. A short quick palate cleanser. After that I might just be in the mood for something mindless and fun and adventurey.

fakefaker

Finished up The Goblin Corps by Ari Marmell last night. Was cool to ready something from the "dark sides" point of view and I didn't mind the juvenile humor as much as some reviewers did. Maybe they just need to just grow up.

Now off to France to see if the Queen wears underpants with The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.

1387601.jpg

SolKane

Yeah it probably was, good memory! What other WW2 have you been reading?

I just finished "The Good War" by Studs Terkel, and have been plinking my way through B. H. Liddell Hart's "History of the Second World War". I have a few other books lined up from Ignazio Silone and James Jones as well when I'm finished with the Caine Mutiny.

Piecake

Just finisheed this one. Excellent book. I quite enjoyed the relationship between John and Abigail.

Currently This

I am quite liking it so far. I like the style of writing and the story and themes are making me feel good so far.

Next up is this

Im excited. Whenever I learned about Marxist thought or communism it bored me to tears, but putting Marx and his ideas in historical context sounds a lot more interesting. Hopefully it lives up to my expectations

Nuke Soda

On the last 200 pages of Mistborn, there is plenty that I like, but a few things I'm not a fan of.

I like Vin well enough, her arc is pretty good.
I like the powers, a good mix of expected with unexpected abilities.
I like the world of the final empire. Would be a horrible place to live, fun to read about.

I don't like the conveniently evil government.
I don't like that there is a bit too much Star Wars influence.

I am not entirely sure how I feel about Kelsier.

I still got some reading to do, so maybe some of my dislikes will go away. Still enjoying it quite a bit though.

Nymerio

Started with Fool's Fate.
I understand why Fitz doesn't want to take Nettle into the castle and train her in the skill, on the other hand though I don't understand why he doesn't realize that this would probably be the best thing he could do to protect her. Her skilling doesn't seem safe and the dragon has already found her once. I have a feeling that he will come to regret not having her close and training her in the skill

45108.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom