• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eattomorro

Neo Member
51wX9g5Nf2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A couple people asked about my thoughts on the Acatl trilogy. I've only read the first book, since I'm a slow reader, so here's a brief review of the first book.

The main character is a dick. Yes, he has some redeeming qualities, but sometimes you just want to reach into the sentence and throttle the life out of him. I think the author definitely grows in skill throughout the book and it has some really nice moments of fear and intrigue. But sometimes I did get frustrated with the writing and way certain things were handled, that I ended up mocking the book verbally more than I should have. If I had a gf, I'm sure she would have thought the book was driving me crazy with all the yelling I did. Hmm, maybe that's the sign of a good book when you start talking to it?

I need to get out more.

But did I enjoy it? Yes, and can't wait to finish the other two books. And for 8 bucks on Kindle, yeah you really can't complain about getting a trilogy for that price.

Peace.

Have you been posting in the topic? I don't recall seeing your avatar!

And yes, I agree. There's a really great article (with some spoilers about the story) I found at work today about Constance Garnett and P/V's translations in the New Yorker (as well as stuff about Nabokov and Edmund Wilson and Russian translation in general) and I really enjoyed P/V's characterization of Dostoevsky's prose:

Dostoyevsky’s detractors have faulted him for erratic, even sloppy, prose and what Nabokov, the most famous of the un-fans, calls his “gothic rodomontade.” “Dostoyevsky did write in a hurry,” Pevear said. “He had terrible deadlines to meet. He wrote ‘Crime and Punishment’ and ‘The Gambler’ simultaneously. He knew that if he didn’t finish ‘The Gambler’ on time he would lose the rights to all his future books for the next nine years. That’s when he hired his future wife as a stenographer and dictated it to her. Tolstoy was better paid, and he didn’t even need the money. And yet Dostoyevsky’s roughness, despite the rush and the pressure, was all deliberate. No matter what the deadline, if he didn’t like what he had, he would throw it all out and start again. So this so-called clumsiness is seen in his drafts, the way he works on it. It’s deliberate. His narrator is not him; it’s always a bad provincial writer who has an unpolished quality but is deeply expressive. In the beginning of ‘The Brothers Karamazov,’ in the note to the reader, there is the passage about ‘being at a loss to resolve these questions, I am resolved to leave them without any resolution.’ He stumbles. It’s all over the place.”

“And this is how people speak,” Volokhonsky said. “We mix metaphors, we stumble, we make mistakes.”

“Other translators smooth it out,” Pevear said. “We don’t.”​

There is something in the apparent messiness of the prose that seems intentional, so it is interesting to learn that it is intentional. I recommend reading the whole article if you don't mind a few spoilers.

I just now found out about the thread, otherwise I would have been in there all along.

A lot of interesting stuff in that article, and I always love reading about the translation process. The "deliberate messiness" is one of the things that really stands out about the prose. Dostoevsky is great at coming with natural sounding phrasing, but doing it in such a literary way.

Draconian

Finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It was a really funny read with memorable characters. Too bad it just ends unresolved. I'll keep reading more in the series though.

stephen-king-it.jpg

Now onward onto It. I'm stepping way outside my comfort zone here and expect to have myself scared half to death several times before the end.

ymmv

Banned
Now reading:

5168Q4AEDNL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Hard Case Crime has published more than 70 hard boiled crime novels in the past few years, both new works and reprints. I'm more of a sf/fantasy fan, but I've been venturing in other genres more and more, so it's about time I try a couple of classic crime novels from the 40ies and 50ies. I love noir movies, so I'm almost certain I'll enjoy this too.

Jhoan

For my Digital Copyright class:
ozqYj.jpg

I've yet to get the book (need it ASAP though)
TLAZ6.jpg

For my Concepts in Gaming class:
3aFbT.jpg

Outside of school, independently. I got it autographed by him on Tuesday when he was doing a Q&A/signing at Barnes and Noble:
tsnmKl.jpg

Otherwise, no other things of interest for my other classes other than excerpts from the U.S. Constitution, internet articles from several books for my Internet and Society class, a film textbook for my media production class by one of my lecture professors, and I've yet to check out a Renaissance art history textbook for my Renaissance art history class.

Nymerio

The first book, or the whole trilogy? I actually liked the first one but the other books where so bad they almost made me dislike the first as well.

Speaking of reading, I'll be going on vacation on tuesday and I already have a list of books I'll be bringing with me, consisting of a lot of fantasy and sci-fi. This thread had me interested in buddhism and I'd like to read a book on that, does gaf have any recommendations? Ebook preferably, as anything else would take too long to get here in time.

cthulhu-mythos-wallpaper-reasons-to-like-lovecraft-nyarlathotep-crawling-chaos-shadow-out-of-time-poster-illustration-by-darrell-screamin-polyp-tutchton-all-rights-reserved.jpg

Started it in the afternoon and I'm just about finished. It's been really interesting so far. Any suggestions for my next Lovecraft story? I haven't read much of his work.

Recently finished:

Leviathan-wakes-220x344.jpg

Absolutely loved it. Can't wait to read Caliban's War.

Also finished:

Sense_of_an_Ending_Knopf_200.jpg

Didn't love it. I see what the author was doing but don't think it is worth all the praise it gets. I'm probably in the minority though.

Just started:

under-the-dome-1.jpg

Sat down with it last night and had to drag myself away. Awesome stuff so far.

Magni

Finished Chasm City earlier this summer, currently going through Redemption Ark. I wish I had more time to read :(

I read Revelation Space last Spring, and I have Absolution Gap and The Prefect both waiting on my bookshelf. Awesome books, introduced to me by GAF, thanks guys :)

ultron87

Is Brent Weeks actually a decent author, or is it trashy fun?

I think he is a pretty good author of popcorn fantasy. Not the deepest things to read or anything but his books are nice and breezy reads with good action and characters.

yitdadee08

Neo Member
I've always admired how well you guys in this thread read, and I've recently begun building a reading habit not too long ago and with some success. But when I finish a book, I feel like like I could have read the book so much more thoroughly. I've searched comprehension strategies on Google, and come up with the basic gist that you have to be an active reader, doing things such as predicting, stopping to summarize, activating prior knowledge, etc. Recently, I've taken to writing in the margins and underlining in my books.

I just want to ask y'all if you do these things automatically while you read? Or if you have any personal things that you do to help your understanding of the books that you read?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Currently have two dense books on the backburner now, so I started this today:

M46aA.jpg

I've always found Hesse to be enjoyable, relaxing reads so I imagine I'll get through this quickly.

Jintor

I've always admired how well you guys in this thread read, and I've recently begun building a reading habit not too long ago and with some success. But when I finish a book, I feel like like I could have read the book so much more thoroughly. I've searched comprehension strategies on Google, and come up with the basic gist that you have to be an active reader, doing things such as predicting, stopping to summarize, activating prior knowledge, etc. Recently, I've taken to writing in the margins and underlining in my books.

I just want to ask y'all if you do these things automatically while you read? Or if you have any personal things that you do to help your understanding of the books that you read?

What I do is I reread books that I feel compelled to try and understand more. I reread them a lot. Most other stuff I just, you know, kind of read it casually.

So is starting the third ASOIAF book after watching two seasons of the show a bad idea? I realized I should probably keep up with the books, but I hear conflicting reports on what to do if you're coming just watching the TV show.

elkayes

rarely. With 90% of the books I read, I just go with the flow of the book. Getting engulfed by it is more appealing to me then analyizing the meaning/topics of the book while I´m still reading.

That said, when I step back from a book it is A) because the writing is so awful/predictable that it disrupts the story (take the constant mini cliffhangers in Hunger Games as an example) or B) the book hits on a theme that instinctivly resonates with me. The later ones are the books I reread and read secondary literature about. (East of Eden, 2666, Kafka on the Shore if u want recomendations)

Clott

Half way through this!

a-moveable-feast-ernest-hemingway1.jpg

I want more already and I am halfway through! What are similar books to this, with the amazing descriptions of everyday life encapsulated in the 20s, the wonderful descriptions of drink and food. Also an inspirational read with all these talented people who know each other, and how it betters Hemingway as a starting writer.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the 20's but I need something super cozy after this book, any ideas?

Earlier this year I came to the stunning realization that a majority of books widely regarded as classics I had never read. So slowly I've been trying to read a bunch of classic books on freinds recommendations as a way of catching up.

The first book I've finished this month is Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. I really loved it. Decided to watch the movie after finishing it and it really doesn't compare to the book.

jtlCu.jpg

This week I started reading The Great Gatsby and I'm absolutely loving it as well. It's so well written and keeps me captivated.

dltJG.jpg

Next I think I'm either going to read Brave New World or Walden.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
So, I remember that author being made endless fun of a year or two ago (the perfect killer has no GAF credibility--only mockery), but now it seems like everybody is reading his books.

Is Brent Weeks actually a decent author, or is it trashy fun?

I'd definitely say trashy fun. I've read all of his books. I just finished reading The Blinding Knife last night, though, and it was a massive disappointment. I think he has problems with middle books.

Mumei

I read a book last year that you may find interesting:

If that is too small to see, the title is When Kids Can't Read - What Teachers Can Do: A Guide for Teachers 6 - 12.

I had always thought of reading as a very simple process: You read the words and you just understand them. I saw the book in the library while reading another book, and it caught my eye because growing up I had always been annoyed by kids who read haltingly, who struggled to sound out words that (I thought) they should have been able to sight-read, or who would read clearly but when prompted to explain what they had just read were completely unable to tell the teacher the first thing about what any of it meant. I knew other students like this all the way through my last semester of high school, and I had always wondered why they struggled with material that did not seem particularly difficult.

This book was eye-opening for me because it highlighted the complexity of reading, and why some people might struggle as readers because it is considerably more complex than I had considered it. As Beers put it, "Reading is a social process, an interactive activity, one in which readers create meaning through transactions - interactions - with the text, their prior knowledge, the context, and other readers." She also pointed out the fatalistic views of dependent readers:

Dependent readers often fail to see reading as an active process. As Gene, a twelfth grader, said, "What do you mean active? You sit. You stare. You turn pages. What's active about that?" I asked him what he thought good readers did while reading. He responded, "Do? I don't know. They just read it. And then they answer all the questions That's what makes them good readers, because they can answer the questions."

"So why do you think they can answer the questions?" I asked.

"I don't know. Why do some people win the lottery? Why are some people always invited to the really popular parties. Why did Gore really lose the election? There are just some things we aren't supposed to know the answers to. It's just the way things are."

Gene's response, sadly, offers an explanation many dependent readers support: "It's just the way things are." In part, that attitude develops as struggling readers watch some students in class move easily (and apparently effortlessly) through a text. They only see the outward signs of comprehension. - peers correctly answering questions. What they don't observe are all the times good reades reread a passage or a sentence, all the times they ask themslves, "What's going on here?" They don't hear that internal dialogue a good reader has with a text or with herself while reading.​

The funny thing was, I had felt sort of similarly. I feel like this book has actually helped my reading a lot since reading it, because similarly to the struggling and dependent readers in the book, I had not really been conscious of what I was doing to make meaning of the text. If someone had asked me, "How do you know that?" I couldn't have explained it and if there was something beyond my ken, I would not have been able to explain to you what I would have done to attempt to figure things out. I would have adjusted my reading speed, reread, read aloud, tried to connect it with other things I had read, stopped frequently to summarize, used context to figure out words I did not know, etc., but I would not have been able to explain this to someone else. So in a way this book made these processes visible to me and I think has helped me as a reader by making me more cognizant of these processes as I am doing them, though I am not the target audience nor the sort of reader this book was necessarily intended to help.

More generally, I have also found in the last year that reading texts that challenge me has improved my reading. I become acclimatized to the prose and the ideas as I continue a book and eventually - sometimes days or weeks after I finish it - the writing clicks for me. I have also found that having simply read more things has helped my ability to make connections between different texts. I am not always sure whether I am seeing coincidences or homages / influences, but for me I think it has improved my understanding and my appreciation.

Collete

Now I'm reading this for English:
A1BR6.jpg

Reading the first short story, it's at least "readable" unlike One Hundred Years of Solitude.
So I'm OK with it so far.

Been wanting to read this but can't find a decent seller:

mvEbY.jpg

Heard the book was good in the fantasy literature genre, but can't find a suitable seller on amazon for the three books in the trilogy.

Next I think I'm either going to read Brave New World or Walden.

I'm not sure about Walden but I read Brave New World years ago.
It's an interesting book on what society would be like hundreds of years in the future.

The book itself is kind of depressing but can be realistic and some what frightening that the reality in the book might happen in our future.
I recommend reading it if you want something "enlightening" on our future as a species.

ymmv

Banned
Now I'm reading this for English:
A1BR6.jpg

Reading the first short story, it's at least "readable" unlike One Hundred Years of Solitude.
So I'm OK with it so far.

Been wanting to read this but can't find a decent seller:

mvEbY.jpg

Heard the book was good in the fantasy literature genre, but can't find a suitable seller on amazon for the three books in the trilogy.

http://www.jackvance.com/ebooks/shop/?q22_category_filter=lyonesse

BTW You really should read Vance's Tales of the Dying Earth stories first, it's what he's most famous for. The books have been a major source of inspiration for a lot of people, in particular Gene Wolfe.

Collete

Ok with it? You lucky punk. Borges is an amazing writer. Wish I could've read him for class.

After our professor assigned us One Hundred Years of Solitude proclaiming it to be the best book she ever read; (even though she clearly states she doesn't understand this book and quizzes a big portion of our grade on it) I'm understandably skeptical on my professor's reading choices...

Also, this is first time reading anything by Borges.
I'm hoping what you say is true, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to judge this book/author just by the first short story, you know? (if I had a choice that is...)

http://www.jackvance.com/ebooks/shop/?q22_category_filter=lyonesse

BTW You really should read Vance's Tales of the Dying Earth stories first, it's what he's most famous for. The books have been a major source of inspiration for a lot of people, in particular Gene Wolfe.

Not really big on the science fiction genre, but if I do have time/money, I'll give it a read.
Thanks for the links!

Finished this on a plane. Boy, was I mad that I couldn't buy the second book right away. Cliffhanger-central!

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

As good as everyone else made it out to be. I only gave it 4 stars because I wish they could have revealed more about
the Time Tombs
in the first book. Is the second book just as good? Better? Worse? Am I going to be disappointed?

Mumei

After our professor assigned us One Hundred Years of Solitude proclaiming it to be the best book she ever read; (even though she clearly states she doesn't understand this book and quizzes a big portion of our grade on it) I'm understandably skeptical on my professor's reading choices...

Also, this is first time reading anything by Borges.
I'm hoping what you say is true, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to judge this book/author just by the first short story, you know? (if I had a choice that is...)

Your new avatar is so pretty. What is the source? Anyway, I have been wanting to read Borges for awhile. There is a really great Penguin Deluxe edition of his collected fictions:

17961.jpg

Collete

Your new avatar is so pretty. What is the source?

Thanks for the compliment!
This was always my avatar ever since post one!
Unfortunately, I do not remember 100%, but a few years back I browsed ebay of Okami merchandise and someone was auctioning off a beautiful, what I believe was, an ink drawn wall scroll of Amaterasu.

I saved the source on my hard drive and forgetting to transfer the link after a recent formatting; I no longer remember exactly who had that wall scroll.
I looked through ebay now trying to see if any seller still has it, but I don't think they are selling it any longer.

Sorry, I'm not much of help!

I won't promise you'll love him, but the guy has some incredible short stories. Library of Babel, The Circular Ruins, The Lottery in Babylon, The Aleph, Three Versions of Judas.

They tend toward the dry and somewhat sterile, but also mind-blowing.

Well, we'll have to read The Aleph and Library of Babel along with some other selections off the book by Borges.
I'll make sure to take a gander at Library of Babel tonight.

Mumei

:O

READ BORGES NOW.

I would, but Goethe and Flaubert are higher on the list right now.

Thanks for the compliment!
This was always my avatar ever since post one!
Unfortunately, I do not remember 100%, but a few years back I browsed ebay of Okami merchandise and someone was auctioning off a beautiful, what I believe was, an ink drawn wall scroll of Amaterasu.

I saved the source on my hard drive and forgetting to transfer the link after a recent formatting; I no longer remember exactly who had that wall scroll.
I looked through ebay now trying to see if any seller still has it, but I don't think they are selling it any longer.

Sorry, I'm not much of help!

Truly? I had thought you had something more anthropomorphic. Maybe I am thinking of another similarly named user or losing my mind or you are being tricksy.

Collete

Truly? I had thought you had something more anthropomorphic. Maybe I am thinking of another similarly named user or losing my mind or you are being tricksy.

Probably Okami-kun with his avatars or Amikami (but not sure if he's related to the one you're thinking).
Now I kind of wish I chose a more distinct username, they sound too similar to others, heh.

Mumei

Probably Okami-kun with his avatars or Amikami (but not sure if he's related to the one you're thinking).
Now I kind of wish I chose a more distinct username, they sound too similar to others, heh.

Ah, yes. I was thinking of Okami-kun

And you need to post more. You should have been a Member years ago.

Collete

Ah, yes. I was thinking of Okami-kun

And you need to post more. You should have been a Member years ago.

Yeah, my post count was far worse months back.
Only recently I stopped lurking on GAF and making at least some effort to post more on various threads. (I'm not yet brave enough to get into heated discussions on Gaming GAF)

And back to topic (kind of):

8LpqU.jpg

Heard mixed reviews of this book but it was on a top 3 list of fantasy books to read.
Anyone read it and thought it was amazing?

ymmv

Banned
Af

Not really big on the science fiction genre, but if I do have time/money, I'll give it a read.
Thanks for the links!

Tales of the Dying Earth is not actually science fiction (perhaps only in the sense that in the far, far, very far future magic is indistinguishable from science). You don't see that many SF books about wizards, sorcery and monsters, do you? The reason why there are some SF elements is that Vance wrote these stories for SF pulps and because in 1950 there was no thing like a separate fantasy genre. His first Dying Earth stories were written before the publication of The Lord of the Rings. This is proto-fantasy and this is why it straddles genres. It rightly belongs in Gollancz' Fantasy Masterworks series. The US cover is simply deceiving.

51WezlXSZBL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
tales-of-dying-earth.jpg

Tales of the Dying Earth is an omnibus, it also contains The Eyes of the Overworld and the picaresque novels Cugel's Saga and Rhialto the Marvelous. The whole collection is enormous value for money for fantasy fans.

The best thing about the books is Vance's humorous writing style, but he's also great at world building, making up wonderful names and creating intricate societies with odd customs. You can't go wrong with any of his books.

Well that was weird. I was reading through Leviathan Wakes and it ended 50% through and went to a second book .. some fantasy story called The Dagger and the Coin. Kind of a bummer because I like to gear myself up for the ending but oh well. Leviathan Wakes was still a reat book. I loved it and will definitely keep reading through the trilogy. I kinda feel obligated to read this other book now even though I was blindsided by it. So reading ...

The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Well that was weird. I was reading through Leviathan Wakes and it ended 50% through and went to a second book .. some fantasy story called The Dagger and the Coin. Kind of a bummer because I like to gear myself up for the ending but oh well. Leviathan Wakes was still a reat book. I loved it and will definitely keep reading through the trilogy. I kinda feel obligated to read this other book now even though I was blindsided by it. So reading ...

For a while they were basically having a buy 1 get 1 free sale with the Daniel Abraham books, but they irritatingly just stuffed them into a single file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom