• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

The GAF Book Club is back! The book for September is The Brothers Karamazov. Visit the thread here.

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Post-apocalpytic Books

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

Bought a Kobo yesterday. I'm trying to get back into reading. I only read maybe 3 books in the last 2 years, which is pitiful after my completions of several series in high school. Hoping to read through the Hobbit this month, as a start.

thomaser

9780375411250.jpg

Dashiell Hammett's "The Maltese Falcon". I'm studying a course called "The American Detective Novel", and this is the first book. Will continue with "Red Harvest". Really excited about this course! A nice change from linguistics and English/American history and so on.

Manik

Continuing on with -

ibqpBkx0gQTWdI

Midnight Tides - Steven Erikson

Around 2/3 of the way through and enjoying it immensely. The fewer viewpoints in this book, compared to the previous books in the series, really make it easier to keep track with what's happening in any given part of the world. Very much looking forward to the finale of this one!

GH1BH.jpg

PKD - The Transmigration of Timothy Archer

Just finished this. I've read lots of PKD and his last book is easily the best work he ever wrote.
It's not sci-fi so it turns lots of his usual fans off, but the writing is really heartfelt and unlike anything he wrote before.

EVOL 100%

historywesternphilosophy.jpg

It says great things about the author that this book isn't only informative, but also ball-bustingly funny sometimes.

I'm a big Disney fan and I'm currently reading this:
DisneyWar.jpg

I'm halfway through, if you like Disney (not only the animation movies but the company), this is seriously great. (If you liked the documentary Waking Sleeping Beauty, it's a MUST. READ.) It's journalism but it's as easy to read as fiction.

wbsmcs

btqix.jpg

About half way through this. At first I didn't get what the big deal was with this book. It's rather slow and didn't catch my attention. But after sticking with it I now understand. The characters Dickens describes are each memorable in their own right.

U9OIn.jpg

Finally picked this up from Chapters last week after seeing all the praise it gets here on Gaf. Look forward to reading it when I'm done with David Copperfield.

EVOL 100%

David Copperfield

About half way through this. At first I didn't get what the big deal was with this book. It's rather slow and didn't catch my attention. But after sticking with it I now understand. The characters Dickens describes are each memorable in their own right.

Guns, Germs and Steel

Finally picked this up from Chapters last week after seeing all the praise it gets here on Gaf. Look forward to reading it when I'm done with David Copperfield.

These are both awesome books.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
i8vOREcl2T2ec.JPG

As someone that watched the show first, AGOT was chock full of details and stories not in the show, and it looks like ACOK is shaping up to have alot more "not in the show" stuff. Awesome book so far.

Is this kind of like the dedicated 'Books' OT?

I can't seem to find one other than this, haha.

Edit: Also, reading the OT, you should add Librivox.org to the Audiobooks section. TONS of public domain audiobooks read by volunteer readers. Great place for classic books and other public domain stuff on audio.

Never read it. Was considering reading this or Game of Thrones, and I picked this.

Great choice!

Good time to jump in, too, with he new one being released in January.

Also, I wanted to ask, has anyone read the Recluse Saga books by Modesitt?

I've read Magic of Recluse and The Death of Chaos many times, and I love them, but I don't know about jumping into the other books in the series.

Any thoughts?

Larsa

M4jlk.jpg

Have been reading this pretty much the entire weekend and am just about to finish up. It's really fucking amazing. I'm amazed at just how well things are coming together.

What a great series this has been, pretty sure it has succeeded ASOIAF as my favourite fantasy series.

endre

Just finished:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/TheFallOfHyperion%281stEd%29.jpg[IMG]

At the end of the book I was like
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mxQCO.gif[IMG]

So now I am onto:

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Endymion_cover.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]The first two books are great! The following two books are like a Hollywood movie. Fun, but with the lowest common denominator in mind.[/spoiler]

I am midway through the first book of Mistborn and finally started Dune. I like both, but unfortunatelly I haven't got enough time to read them. Hopefully the local library will extend my loan.

Arment

M4jlk.jpg

Have been reading this pretty much the entire weekend and am just about to finish up. It's really fucking amazing. I'm amazed at just how well things are coming together.

What a great series this has been, pretty sure it has succeeded ASOIAF as my favourite fantasy series.

If ASOIAF leaves as many unresolved story lines as Malazan did, I'll be super disappoint.

the-eye-of-the-world.jpg

Never read it. Was considering reading this or Game of Thrones, and I picked this.

Unwise decision. The women characters in that series made me drop it and never look back.

Charons-Claw_Salvatore.JPG

Just started this last night. Finishing off this trilogy and giving The Black Company a rest.

Arment

What is the consensus on the above statement? If it is true, I'll probably skip it.

I don't recommend skipping it. It's one of my favorite series, loose ends or not. I've yet to read the Ian Esslemont books, which are expected to number 9 and flesh out a lot of the parts not explained yet.

nny

Finished recently The Knife of Never Letting Go, which ends with a cliffhanger so now I need to pick up the next book.

the-knife-of-never-letting-go.jpg

In the meantime I begun The Long Earth.

13147230.jpg

Started this yesterday. It's not related to the movie although I guess the movie was kinda inspired by it, but this is totally different. So far it has been really good. I read that Long doesn't keep it up, but I'm hooked, so we'll see where it goes.

The Descent by Jeff Long

Puckmarin

Banned
Started this yesterday. It's not related to the movie although I guess the movie was kinda inspired by it, but this is totally different. So far it has been really good. I read that Long doesn't keep it up, but I'm hooked, so we'll see where it goes.

The Descent by Jeff Long

I think the movie is sort of based on the book. They took the general idea and ran with it.

I liked the book and don't want to spoiler anything for you but I'll just say that I had problems with the ending. The sequel is sitting on my bookshelf. I need to read it eventually.

I'm a big Disney fan and I'm currently reading this:
DisneyWar.jpg

I'm halfway through, if you like Disney (not only the animation movies but the company), this is seriously great. (If you liked the documentary Waking Sleeping Beauty, it's a MUST. READ.) It's journalism but it's as easy to read as fiction.

Saw your post earlier today and ended up watching Waking Sleeping Beauty. Really really enjoyed it. Thinking of picking up this book.

Jarlaxle

lies-of-locke-lamora.jpg

I decided on starting this. I've only read the first chapter (85 pages-lol) so far but it seems fun. The dialogue seems genuinely witty. I went out and bought "Under Red Skies" so I can jump right into that after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom