• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2013)

ShaneB

Started The Sisters Brothers since Shane was talking it up and I'm in the mood for a good western.

I'm absolutely loving it so far, definitely clicking on a lot of different areas that appeal to me, so I hope that continues to the end.

And Steelheart does sound neat, maybe that'll be my Sanderson introduction one day.

Kaladin

As ShaneB commented when we were chatting, the dude must keep very detailed Excel spreadsheets or something to that effect to keep all his worlds/stories straight.

According to Sanderson's Goodreads page, he is working on or has completed eight separate series. EIGHT. Most people struggle to crank out a book a year.

You probably get about 2 - 3 from Sanderson per year. I think it's because he looks at being an author as an 8 - 5 job just like any other job.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
As ShaneB commented when we were chatting, the dude must keep very detailed Excel spreadsheets or something to that effect to keep all his worlds/stories straight.

According to Sanderson's Goodreads page, he is working on or has completed eight separate series. EIGHT. Most people struggle to crank out a book a year.

And that is why he annoys the hell out of me. I wish he was a bit more focused so he could finish off a series faster. Regardless I'll have to check this new book out, although I hear it is more "Y" than "A".

Wurst

Yeah, he's a machine. Part of his high work pensum comes from sticking to a tight formula. Its a good formula, but structurally his works are very similar. Different settings and magic systems allow variety.

Steelheart, on that note, is strikingly similar to Mistborn. As the third book will be called Calamity the parallels seem to be even more obvious.

Dec

Finished The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. I was a little underwhelmed by the twist, it is so renowned that I was constantly thinking of the most unlikely suspects. I predicted the killer pretty early on unfortunately.

Though there were some revelations towards the end that were quite clever.

I still really enjoyed reading it, I just love Agatha Christie's writing. Every time a pick up one of her books I fly through them. Now with the Poirot TV show still running, I can watch the TV versions of the stories after I'm done.

I think I'll read A Study in Scarlet next. Seems like an appropriate time with Elementary starting up again tonight.

apparently I pre-ordered steelheart and forgot about it lol.

guess I might start that next after sisters brothers which is great. glad i picked it up during the daily.

FnordChan

Last night I finished The Way of Kings by Brandon "The Machine" Sanderson and, as expected, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sanderson knows what makes epic doorstop fantasy tick and has well and truly sold me on reading the other nine volumes in the saga, with my pre-order for Words of Radiance already secured. In particular, the final section of the book with the epilogue chapters featured some damn compelling hooks to ensure the reader comes back for more.

That said, having read roughly 4000 pages of Sanderson so far this year, I'm looking forward to holding off on more until the next Stormlight Archive volume drops in March. Also, while I enjoyed all 1280 pages of The Way of Kings, I swore about halfway through that I was going to follow it up with a few sub-200 page crime novels to cleanse the palate.

411nS8OSGtL.jpg

I just started up The Getaway by Jim Thompson, which I recently picked up used after thinking to myself, "You know, I've never read Jim Thompson. Also, I think I might be needing some sub-200 page crime novels on hand in the near future." At all of 25 pages in things are happening at a fast pace (not to mention at various points along a timeline of events), the writing is thoroughly hard boiled (in a mid-50s sort of way), and I get the feeling things are going to go horribly wrong in short order. In other words, things are off with a bang, which is just what I was in the mood for.

FnordChan

Kaladin

Last night I finished The Way of Kings by Brandon "The Machine" Sanderson and, as expected, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sanderson knows what makes epic doorstop fantasy tick and has well and truly sold me on reading the other nine volumes in the saga, with my pre-order for Words of Radiance already secured. In particular, the final section of the book with the epilogue chapters featured some damn compelling hooks to ensure the reader comes back for more.

I think it's that epic doorstop nature that is making it an exceptionally slow read for me. I'm enjoying parts of it though, and think I will enjoy it as a whole once I get finished with it....probably by the time the next one comes out.

Kirlia

Banned
Brave Story was the most recent book I read. Excellent story and excellent writing overall.

Magazine-wise: a few weeks ago, I found around 70 or so Nintendo Powers (varying from the late 90s to the last issue) in a library lobby. Anyone could take them for free. So I stuffed them all in a box and I've been reading through them all since. Now I want to collect more Nintendo Powers and other gaming magazines.

Mumei

411nS8OSGtL.jpg

I just started up The Getaway by Jim Thompson, which I recently picked up used after thinking to myself, "You know, I've never read Jim Thompson. Also, I think I might be needing some sub-200 page crime novels on hand in the near future." At all of 25 pages in things are happening at a fast pace (not to mention at various points along a timeline of events), the writing is thoroughly hard boiled (in a mid-50s sort of way), and I get the feeling things are going to go horribly wrong in short order. In other words, things are off with a bang, which is just what I was in the mood for.

FnordChan

Have you read Thompson's The Killer Inside Me?

Empty

confessions-of-a-mask.gif

read this. thought it was pretty good. it's a semi-autobiographical first person account of a japanese young adult dealing with his homosexuality in a society where the idea of identifying as gay didn't exist. it's really intense psycologically and the scenes where he develops his first infuation with a guy and its portrayal of being in a false relationship with a women out of obligation are really vivid and fascinating. loved the ambigious ending too. unfortunately i found it to be marred by a slightly poor translation, the prose didn't flow as well as in the other mishima i've read 'thirst for love' which had a different translator to confessions of a mask.

FnordChan

Have you read Thompson's The Killer Inside Me?

Nope, The Getaway is the first thing I've ever ready by Thompson and I'm only about a quarter of the way through. I know The Killer Inside Me as the novel he's most famous for, but that's about it. Would you recommend it?

FnordChan

Just finished 11/22/63 and while I think it dragged on a little bit, I enjoyed it overall.

Reading A Feast for Crows now and while it seems slow, I'm liking it as well.

Planning to read The Shining next.

Akahige

Finished King, Queen, Knave by Vladimir Nabokov, well written and enjoyable, a step up from Mary.

Now Reading:
9Kb3vuG.jpg

Finished Part One, not used to books going 120 pages without a chapter break but it's very engrossing.

lightus

Just finished Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie. It was great! I loved it and can't wait to read more of his work.

Just put in an order for the UK edition since their covers actually match the rest of the First Law World books. 18-24 day wait. Worth it.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Finished Bitter Seeds and The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis. Read the 67% of the book sample of The Grim Company by Luke Scull. Not sure I'll buy the rest', but probably.
Now reading Steelheart

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Do you guys have any rec's for books on Rome?

Nothing super dry preferably, the more engaging the better.

Cheers kids.

Also, my stupid library doesn't have any "The Book of the New Sun" and I'm really fiending for some escapist lit at the moment.

Mumei

Nope, The Getaway is the first thing I've ever ready by Thompson and I'm only about a quarter of the way through. I know The Killer Inside Me as the novel he's most famous for, but that's about it. Would you recommend it?

FnordChan

Yes!

It's ... disturbing. Thompson does an amazing job presenting the novel from the first-person perspective of a truly disturbed mind.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Finished up The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold, which was a entertaining, if slightly sluggish, read. Lots of great characters, interesting twists on the average fantasy novel in terms of narrative structure.

Started Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie:

YuzXowE.jpg

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest.

Breq is both more than she seems and less than she was. Years ago, she was the Justice of Toren--a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of corpse soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy.

An act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with only one fragile human body. And only one purpose--to revenge herself on Anaander Mianaai, many-bodied, near-immortal Lord of the Radch.

It's as good as early reviews have been suggesting.

FnordChan

It's ... disturbing. Thompson does an amazing job presenting the novel from the first-person perspective of a truly disturbed mind.

60 pages into The Getaway and this does not surprise me, as one of the characters is more than a tad bit disturbed. Sounds great and I'll be checking it out in the not too distant future. Thanks for the recommendation!

Finished up The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold, which was a entertaining, if slightly sluggish, read. Lots of great characters, interesting twists on the average fantasy novel in terms of narrative structure.

I liked The Curse of Chalion quite a bit, but I enjoyed the sequel, Paladin of Souls, even more. And, since it won the Hugo, Nebula, and Locus awards for best novel, I'm not the only one! So, I'd highly recommend putting Paladin of Souls in your reading queue. Bujold also wrote a third novel in the Chalion universe, The Hallowed Hunt, but while it's a solid read I wouldn't say it's crucial.

FnordChan

YuzXowE.jpg

Hmm saw that on NetGalley. Sounds kinda cool, might check it out.

Just finished reading Insane City by Dave Barry. Its a funny story and its similar to The Hangover plots. Now begininning Lunatics by him too.

Jag

Ooh, that looks really good. Looking for something new, fun and spacey.

lightus

I'm taking a rare break from fantasy/sci fi and starting:

15818032.jpg

Per GAF's recommendation. I expect good things GAF, don't disappoint me.

Zeppelin

225468.jpg

On Industrial Society and its Future by Theodore Kaczynski

I went in expecting the ramblings of a mad man, but so far (I'm maybe 1/4th in) it has been surprisingly sharp. So far he hasn't mentioned his this though and I guess him trying to justify them will be where it starts to fall apart.

Solon Solute

Neo Member
Ordered The Blade Itself because of all the hype and whatnot, and just being a few pages in the writing is sorta meh. Will keep going.

FnordChan

That rave from the Tor blog convinced me to pre-order this from Amazon. The summation of the review and one of the follow-up comments are what really sold it:

Liz Bourke said:
In sum, Ancillary Justice is both an immensely fun novel, and a conceptually ambitious one: it has many layers and many levels at which it can be enjoyed. And I can’t hardly wait for the sequel.

Anarkey said:
I also loved, loved, loved this book. It hits a crazy number of my storytelling kinks (so much so that my brain felt kind of hijacked by it), but it's so well done that I have to think it will be an enjoyable read for many, many people and not just the folk who are desperately interested in questions of identity and colonialism or those won over by really careful worldbuilding.

God knows when I'm going to get to it, but I'm certainly looking forward to it!

FnordChan

Zeppelin

I'd kinda be interested in this as well.

If it's fiction you want then Conn Iggulden and Robert Harris has written some that people seem to like. Robert Grave's I, Claudius is pretty great too, and it also exists as an excellent BBC series.

Personally I love Henryk Sienkiewicz's Quo Vadis, which actually changed my perspective on Christianity a lot (I'm an atheist). I suppose it's more towards the "drier" end of the spectrum though. :p

Necrovex

I finished reading The Samurai Banner of Furin Kazan. Out of a five point scale, I would give it a 3.5/5. Good little nugget of history from the Sengoku era, but the translation seemed iffy at times.

Now my next book is a classic:

tale+of+genji.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
eBook_0_14.gif

Finished. Kind of ambivalent toward it, not bad but not great either.

Up next:
371px-PrideAndPrejudiceTitlePage.jpg

Akahige

Finished Shadow Dance by Angela Carter, Enjoyed it a lot

Now Reading:
Z7jyiu4.jpg

I can tell already this will take me awhile longer to read than most books do like his last novel.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
About halfway through A Clash of Kings now.

Boggles my mind how Martin is able to juggle so many characters, so many settings, so many mythologies and politics and relationships and still keep the plot moving briskly and the story not only fully comprehensible but thoroughly captivating as well.

For a 900-page novel it surely reads like one a quarter of the size.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
About halfway through A Clash of Kings now.

Boggles my mind how Martin is able to juggle so many characters, so many settings, so many mythologies and politics and relationships and still keep the plot moving briskly and the story not only fully comprehensible but thoroughly captivating as well.

For a 900-page novel it surely reads like one a quarter of the size.

Dohohohohohohoho

Top Bottom