• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2013)

Necrovex

So I got Tales of Genji from the library today. I was planning to read Tyler's translation. I take it into my car, and I see it's the second volume. The library doesn't own the first volume, so I have half the story at this point. I am so bloody bummed about these turn of events. :-(

mikeroth

Trumbo.gif

So I'm about halfway through this and it is killing me. I've read morbidly depressing books before but... this one is different. It is so well put together in such a rambling way and it's really making me reconsider what it means to be human yet again... The last piece of media that gave me this much of an impact in that part of my brain was the first time I watched Bladerunner. I also just cried to a Mark Rothko painting recently but that's different. This book is forcing so much room for psychological growth into me as a person. I love it when this happens.

Row

Banned
Finished a few books this month, most I've read in awhile

The Karamazov Brothers
Finished it this month, but the bulk was in August. Hard to try and summarize such a huge book, so I'll just say that overall I really enjoyed it and think I'll read another of his books once I whittle down my backlog some more.

One Hundred Years of Solitude
I dunno what to think of this...I liked it, but I don't know why. I was really caught off-guard by how weird it was (spoilers:
girl floating off to heaven, years of continuous rain, magical gypsies, etc.
), wasn't expecting it. One thing is for sure, the numerous characters with the same name was really confusing, even if it was important to the story.

Brave New World
I loved this book, absolutely loved it.

The Sound and the Fury
First time reading Faulkner, and the first time (I think) reading anything which uses the stream of consciousness technique the book uses for the first two parts. I liked the book, but definitely more so for the interesting writing technique and all the little details you can piece together and go "ah ha!" (and the countless more you miss...) than the central plot.

Currently reading: The New York Trilogy

Necrovex

Bingo, super boring book. I did find A Dance with Dragons to be a much better book. Still not as good as the first 3 but much better than AFfC.

Spoilers for A Feast for Crows:
Reading the craziness of Cersei, the radness of Jamie, and the awesomeness of Dorne, which is far better than Westeros, are fantastic experiences.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Finished reading Carl Sagan's Contact last week. Good book.

Now reading Dune, not far into it yet, we'll see if I enjoy it, it can be difficult for me to enjoy highly fantasy material.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wanted to watch his soul break into little pieces when he found out for himself :(

Epcott

Reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep.

Interesting book, parts of it remind me of Neil Gaimen. I don't know why but I sense small touches of American Gods in there.

Not sure what to read when I'm done.

Narag

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Fun reread given that 99 cent price tag. First checked this out when I was getting back into reading as a hobby and it's interesting to read it again a few years later as I could now better appreciate elements of it. That said, I still don't care for the last quarter of the book.

I finished Steelheart two nights ago. ★★★½ It was a good, enjoyable read. The dialogue tended to run a bit too YA in places, particularly in the "romance" angle. I also didn't find any of the broken metaphors the protagonist uses funny, although it's clear that is what Sanderson was aiming for with them. Having said that, the world building was really solid, the main struggle in the plot is quite interesting, and there were some very likable characters. I'll definitely give the next book in the series a shot, which based on Sanderson's output should be dropping sometime this Friday afternoon.

I'm moving on to Glen Cook's The Silver Spike, which depending on where I search is listed as either book four of the Black Company series or a throw-away spin-off novel. In the Kindle anthology I purchased, it is inexplicably packed at the end of the second trilogy as if it's the sixth book in the series. I'm ten chapters into it and the events clearly transpire immediately following what happened in book three, so I have no idea who thought that was a good idea. I can already tell it will be a less "essential" read in that it's following two lesser characters, but Cook's world is so haunting and fun that I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

Making my way through the first Harry Dresden. I started out strong -- supposed to be a fast read -- but I started to lose progress halfway in. The book is very by the numbers plot wise, the dialogue is very predictable, and the most of the characters just don’t pop.

I do normally enjoy Noir but this book isn't quite working for me. I wouldn't go so far as to say it’s bad. It has a lot I should be finding both interesting and enjoyable. Also, I do like Harry as a character. But I really think Butcher’s execution as a writer is ultimately was causing such disappointment.

Does the series pick up? I really want to like this one.

I'm very early in book 3. So far I wouldn't say the writing has improved all that much. Maybe a little bit. One thing that's kept me interested is that Butcher does a good job writing tense and exciting action scenes. You'll see some (minor) examples of this in the second half of book one, and even more in the second half of book two, which is a really fun roller coaster ride.

Both books also have some terribly weak plot elements and lackluster stretches that can be tough to endure, but there is a gratifying sense that the world is expanding with each book. Butcher is gradually introducing more characters that seem like they'll eventually become series regulars, and also building up the lore. I'm starting to see the outer edges of larger storylines that might span several books, and I'm definitely intrigued.

I'm still not blown away, but the series is growing on me very slowly. It has certain strengths that may not be obvious during the first book.

Book 4 was where things took off for me.

I tried to start Dresden probably 4 or 5 times on recommendations from friends before finally getting through the first 3. Everyone said that the writing improves with each book and I'd day there's some truth to that, but you shouldn't expect it to improve leaps and bounds. It's more of a slow build that by Book 4 has found its groove.

Most of the early books serve as introductions to characters more than anything else.

Bazza

Im a little sad im getting to the end of the disc world books, just finished making money and I noticed there are 4-5 young adult books based on the witches are they worth reading and how are they compared to the regular books?

Wizard's First Rule is a Kindle daily deal today. What's the word on that? Good? Worth a buy?

Also, any recommendations for a fantasy novel with a similar sorta feel as The First Law trilogy? And by that I mean set in a cold, forest sorta setting. Somewhere you can imagine being right now in fall. Cold, crisp, leaves changing color, etc?

matt05891

spacechronicles.jpg

Great book chronicling the importance of spaceflight and namely America's lack of push in that direction.
9780316044691_500X500.jpg

Great book for anyone who loves military novels. It's a real story about Navy SEALs as seen on the cover. It goes through his early life mentality, BUD/S, and missions. and I actually know a guy who is buddies with Marcus so it makes it all the more interesting to me personally.

Clegg

Wizard's First Rule is a Kindle daily deal today. What's the word on that? Good? Worth a buy?

Also, any recommendations for a fantasy novel with a similar sorta feel as The First Law trilogy? And by that I mean set in a cold, forest sorta setting. Somewhere you can imagine being right now in fall. Cold, crisp, leaves changing color, etc?

Read Salazar's thread about Terry Goodkind and his works. It's not about this specific book but it will give you a good indication about the kind of writer Goodkind is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440750&highlight=

Sullichin

I'm reading Doctor Sleep and I love it so far. My expecations were kind of low because The Shining is one of my favorite books ever, and how can you match that? It's definitely got some fan service and references in there, and they fit well. It's a believable, incredibly depressing sequel to the Shining.

thomaser

Now Reading:
Z7jyiu4.jpg

I can tell already this will take me awhile longer to read than most books do like his last novel.

Just be aware that the first chapter is much more difficult than the rest of the book. So don't be discouraged if you get lost early!

This is a wonderful book. I wasn't interested in books, but one day I picked up this one on a whim and started slogging through it. In one way, it was the worst "first" book I could have chosen since it's so obtuse. But in another way, it was perfect since it opened up a whole new world for me. I've been an avid reader ever since, and I look at Foucault's Pendulum as THE book that kickstarted my love for reading.

Question for my fellow bookreaders: where do you do most of your reading? I really want to read more but when I'm in front of my pc, I just can't get back to my books.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
On the subway when I go into the city.

While walking around or waiting in lines.

Narag

Question for my fellow bookreaders: where do you do most of your reading? I really want to read more but when I'm in front of my pc, I just can't get back to my books.

Often in bed to wind down for the night. paperwhite was a godsend in this regard.

mikeysteena

Neo Member
I've started to read Ken Folletts massive new(ist) book Winter of the world. Seriously enjoying it until I realised it's part 2 of a trilogy :( how could I be so stupid and not realise that. I'm not stopping now tho so hopefully I don't need to read the 1st one too badly

Top Bottom