• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2013)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Make sure to visit this month's GAF Book Club thread owned and operated by everyone's favorite moderator, Cyan! The book for September/October is ... "If on a winter's night a traveler" by Italo Calvino

If on a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

thomaser

51Xkti5Zi1L._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_.jpg

Complete Works of Oscar Wilde.
Half-way through The Picture of Dorian Gray. Not sure if I like it yet... most of the characters are intolerable idiots, and one of them only talks in witty epigrams. Ok, that was Wilde's specialty, but it is grating in a novel. However, at this point in the novel things seem to turn more interesting, with a depth to the characters that wasn't there to begin with.

O.DOGG

After seeing it mentioned so many times in various Gaf threads, I started reading The Stand by Stephen King. Didn't know it was 1200 pages... I don't know how long it's gonna take me but it's interesting so far (about 10% in so far).

ShaneB

My favourite threads on gaf now :)

Still making my way through Night Film, love it!

I had thought I had gone digital, but I was at the mall yesterday with friends,and there was a big used book sale, and I got this stack for 5 bucks. The selection wasn't exactly great( edit: the selection was fairly large, just I didn't want to get a lot of random things that I no idea about really), but I think I picked up a couple winners,

jbkoqVDaTB4LBb.jpg

I just pulled an all nighter to finish up this:
10112885.jpg

And I liked it. Had a very strong begging, but started losing me halfway. Big quality nosedive near the end but that's to be expected I guess when the author has to tie up so many loose ends. Boring characters, but that didn't seem to bother me too much since it had a really interesting plot.
Now I just moved on to reading this:
fromhell_cover_lg.jpg

And I'm really excited. I love me some Alan Moore but I admittedly haven't read much of his work aside from watchmen, v for vendetta, and saga of the swamp thing. I'll check out his other stuff if I end up liking this

RedShift

Reading Ender's Game for the first time.

Erm, is it normal that I'm kind of weirded out by the racism? I'd heard the author was kind of a prick, but the whole 'lol yur a nigger and my granddad owned your granddad jk' and 'kike force' thing is reeeeally off putting. I feel like Harry from Methods of Rationality is like a much more likeable version of Ender.

Sleepy

I just pulled an all nighter to finish up this:
10112885.jpg

And I liked it. Had a very strong begging, but started losing me halfway. Big quality nosedive near the end but that's to be expected I guess when the author has to tie up so many loose ends. Boring characters, but that didn't seem to bother me too much since it had a really interesting plot.

I have decided I like it. Yeah, it reminds me of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo a bit, and some of the characters are just "duh!," but it chugs along at a good clip.
I just made it to the section where Nora got Scott logged on to the Blacksite.
Hoping I feel differently about the end. Oh, for reference I could not make it through Special Topics in Calamity Physics; if this books ends well, I might give it another go.

Fou-Lu

lawrence-prince.jpg

This book confuses me on a emotional level, why do I empathize with the main character? Enjoyable read so far though.

I have decided I like it. Yeah, it reminds me of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo a bit, and some of the characters are just "duh!," but it chugs along at a good clip.
I just made it to the section where Nora got Scott logged on to the Blacksite.
Hoping I feel differently about the end. Oh, for reference I could not make it through Special Topics in Calamity Physics; if this books ends well, I might give it another go.

What didn't you like about Special Topics? I finished Night Film and while it dragged on in some places, overall, I enjoyed it. I'm apprehensive about Special Topics though because it seems to post-modern or trying to be clever and I feel like I'd be annoyed by it.

Sleepy

To tell you the truth, I don't remember why I didn't like it. I think I made it through a hundred pages but just found Blue and the dad annoying. I enjoy postmodernism, so it was probably something else. But it was so long ago I don't recall.

SolKane

How was Brown's Requiem?

Good, very dark. It was a little less grounded than the only other book of his I read ("The Black Dahlia"), some of it was a little ponderous like a Don Delillo book. I enjoyed it a lot. I see Clandestine is 3 bucks on Kindle, might have to bite the bullet, although I generally prefer paperbacks.

Tigel

Started this:
Fahrenheit_451_1st_ed_cover.jpg

Never read it, but a lot of friends told me it was a classic.
1984 is one of my favourite books, so I'm really digging it. I'm about half way in.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Has anyone read "Brilliance" by Marcus Sakey?
I'm at 40 percent of it, an it's not that great. Stories cool, but the writing isn't interesting. Does it pick up?

lightus

Finished up Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie. It was fast paced and very fun. I enjoyed it more than the first, really looking forward to the third in the series.

Currently reading Dust by Hugh Howey.

Shift was decent, but I found myself getting bored a bit too often. Hoping Dust pulls through.

Just started A Cavern of Black Ice by J. V. Jones.

cobi.jpg

A friend who knows how much I love Joe Abercrombie's work said I would like this. Only a few chapters in so can't really say much. Decent characters/setting so far though.

I read JV Jones's first trilogy (Book of Words). It was okay but didn't grab me enough to want to dive into her next series.

Now, I love Abercrombie though, so I'll be very interested in your perspective.

Just finished Greg Bear's Eon. It didn't take me an eon to read it, but it felt like it. I'd say the first 1/3 of this book is a little too long. Takes too long to set things up and the payoff for the setup isn't there. I know he's trying to draw an emotional bond but I just didn't feel it. I was also distracted by the US vs. USSR story-line in the 21st century (the book was written in the 80s before the wall came down). Still, once certain things happen, the book really picks up steam and gets into some hard sci-fi. The first third I'd give a 2/5 and the last 2/3 I'd give 4/5.

fakefaker

Really enjoyed Anno Dracula by Kim Newman. Kept me hooked the whole way through. Now onto The Green House by Mario Vargas Llosa.

53972.jpg

jtb

Banned
I gave Night Film a shot, couldn't do it. The whole thing seems just a tad bit too self-aware in some aspects, and totally unaware in others that the tone and all the characters just grate. I don't really know how to pinpoint where it all went wrong for me, but I just wasn't a fan. Meh.

Finished Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk though, that was a good read.

Faaip

Neo Member
All of my friends have been recommending Ender's Game so I figured I read it before the movie comes out

TTG

Half-way through The Picture of Dorian Gray. Not sure if I like it yet... most of the characters are intolerable idiots, and one of them only talks in witty epigrams. Ok, that was Wilde's specialty, but it is grating in a novel. However, at this point in the novel things seem to turn more interesting, with a depth to the characters that wasn't there to begin with.

I just read this last month, the second half of the novel is stronger than the first. Dorian starts off innocent, young, without much direction or motivation etc. which adds up to a boring character. Things really pick up though.

Started this:
[IMGhttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/db/Fahrenheit_451_1st_ed_cover.jpg[/IMG]

Never read it, but a lot of friends told me it was a classic.
1984 is one of my favourite books, so I'm really digging it. I'm about half way in.

That was so good I read it in a single sitting. Actually, I should go back to it and take my time, when the whole process is compacted like that, there just isn't time to let your mind wander through the finer points.

Pau

Finished Ursula K. Le Guin's The Telling today. Not one of her more outlandish planets, but still enjoyable. Especially since I'd say my religion is "stories" as well. Also was one of the few protagonists I've read about that's dealing with some sort of depression. That was neat.

I'll probably go pick up one of bell hooks's books tomorrow.

mrhGB

Banned
I've been reading The Walking Dead, getting myself ready for the TV show starting again. I won't read past the show though, I don't want to spoil anything. It has surprised me how different it is in some aspects.

eIlHWVT.jpg

TTG

So, Reamde by Neal Stephenson is on sale(for Kindle owners), anyone here read it? I remember enjoying Snow Crash, hey it was a while back, and putting Cryptonomicon down after one session. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. Anyway, how about Reamde?

So, Reamde by Neal Stephenson is on sale(for Kindle owners), anyone here read it? I remember enjoying Snow Crash, hey it was a while back, and putting Cryptonomicon down after one session. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. Anyway, how about Reamde?

It's a lot of fun. Another one of his cyber/MMO bleeds over into the real world books. It's quite a bit more grounded in reality than those other two books you mentioned.

BigAT

I just finished up reading The Forever War. I enjoyed it a ton, some really interesting concepts and ideas in play.

Has anyone here read the sequels or have any recommendations about them? I feel like I have heard less praise for them.

mu cephei

Just started A Cavern of Black Ice by J. V. Jones.

cobi.jpg

A friend who knows how much I love Joe Abercrombie's work said I would like this. Only a few chapters in so can't really say much. Decent characters/setting so far though.

I thought the first book was pretty good, but the second book was so dull I didn't bother with the third. It felt like Jones was trying to create Epicness by stuffing in as many pointless ruins, historical references and legends as possible with no relevance to anything at all.

I really liked Reamde, thought it was excellent fun. Interesting plot and good characters. I loved Anathem as well. I did, however, stall on Cryptonomicon about 1/3 of the way through. I'll probably try to finish it sometime.

aku:jiki

jIrApvF.jpg

Eh. The prose in all of these books is pretty awful, incredibly repetetive and tries far too hard to be stylish and is just corny and lame instead, but the story in the first one was pretty good. The twist was great. This book, so far, not so much. Too much romance BS. I get it, the guy is going to die and the girl is going to be sad again...and I'm only 30 pages in.

Leeness

While this is slightly off-topic, it's about one of my favourite books...

I had no idea a Book Thief movie was out in November! I'm suddenly so excited!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

That was one of the funniest things I've ever read which is good since I also knocked out Peter S. Beagle's coda to The Last Unicorn, Two Hearts, over the weekend which just so happened to be one o f the saddest things I'd ever read!

Good thing you liked it so much because honestly it's all up hill from here, even Snuff which is ass balls.

For some reason it was out of stock for the longest time but I finally picked up a copy.
Been on my list for quite some time.

8CA5ktR.jpg

Top Bottom