• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your political leanings?

pramod

Banned
I voted for Trump.

I support gay marriage and legalizing marijuana.

I hate identity politics.

I am for much stricter immigration controls(E-Verify, eliminating chain migration and the H-1 visa etc), although not necessarily a wall.

I would support universal health care if it's guaranteed that only people who pay into the system benefit from it. (ie illegals who pay no federal taxes should not get it)

BTW I'm not white and an immigrant myself.

chart

Relativ9

You are aware that all capitalist nations have some form of wealth redistribution right now. I just want it to go much further. It's common sense, just look at the outrageous wealth gap in the US. People are needlessly suffering in wealthy countries that can do so much more to make it's citizens happier and healthier. The question then is, why is this the case?

Your reply represents a large part of the answer.

I'm for a certain amount of wealth distribution (I think we need to to keep a society stable and peaceful). But I wouldn't say it's common sense. It's not common sense to say that because someone is better off than someone else they should be forced to give up some of their wealth to benefit the weaker members of society. Unless they got the money through illegitimate means that's just fundamentally unethical, it might be necessary, but let's not kid ourselves and think it's the right thing to do. If you were to say that rich people should willingly share more of their wealth with the less fortunate then I'd agree. But radical wealth distribution is basically stealing under threat of violence or imprisonment.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
I'm for a certain amount of wealth distribution (I think we need to to keep a society stable and peaceful). But I wouldn't say it's common sense. It's not common sense to say that because someone is better off than someone else they should be forced to give up some of their wealth to benefit the weaker members of society. Unless they got the money through illegitimate means that's just fundamentally unethical, it might be necessary, but let's not kid ourselves and think it's the right thing to do. If you were to say that rich people should willingly share more of their wealth with the less fortunate then I'd agree. But radical wealth distribution is basically stealing under threat of violence or imprisonment.

poor="weaker"

So your argument against wealth redistribution being common sense policy is that it is akin to theft?

Is taxation of any kind 'theft'? Is there a point or a line crossed that you can identify it becoming theft?

sans_pants

avec_pénis
So your argument against wealth redistribution being common sense policy is that it is akin to theft?

Is taxation of any kind 'theft'? Is there a point or a line crossed that you can identify it becoming theft?

folks that lean libertarian don't really get the whole "society" aspect of real life. They don't see the roads and the schools and the richness of the economy as a thing gained through good government and cooperation, they just see rich guys getting rich and they want to be there someday. and if they get there, why should they help anyone else when no one helped them?

Dunki

If the gov takes half your Wage I think its thef which they do here while education is on the such an all time low I think worst in the whole EU.

Also let us not forget that people worked incredibly hard for this kind of money. these companies did not build themselves through pure luck and people being lazy.

And I am saying this as someone who currently lives of Wealthfare during my retraining phase at the moment.and after cut of electricity, internet, and paying back my student debt I have like 200 Euro to live for a whole month. Thats basically for the food i need.

Relativ9

poor="weaker"

Don't read into it, I'm just referring to their(mine as well really) economic status.

Well not really, taxation if done right is a contract each member of a community has with the rest of the community. By living in and a society you are benefiting from all that comes with that, infrastructure, social services, law and order, safety and security, and a bunch of other things...including business opportunity. To a certain extent makes sense that some people should pay more than others because they benefit more from that society than others, you can't have a business that requires any sort of customer without a society to draw those customers from, and usually, you also take advantage of the benefits I enumerated above. But I do believe there should be a limit to how much extra we ask these rich people to pay. Right now most western nations have a progressive tax system, if it were completely fair it would be a flat (parentage based) tax since then the wealthy would still pay a lot more than the average person (20% of one million is a lot more than 20% of 3k).

The desire to have them pay more percentage than the average person seems to me to be motivated not by some sense of fairness, but by a wish to punish them for doing so well or because "they can afford it anyway" as if that makes it ethically any better.

Now all this said, wealth redistribution probably is necessary anyway, especially in today's society because we're seeing an unprecedented amount of wealth hoarding among the ultra rich. And if there is one thing history has taught us is the ugly things that happens in a society if the wealth gap between the lower classes and the "ruling classes" becomes too extreme (revolution, war, and political executions by the thousands). I just want it to be at a reasonable level that we can all feel "okey" about. We already have a reasonable level, we just need to close all the loop holes and get rid of the tax havens.

Oh and I guess for reference:

chart

If the gov takes half your Wage I think its thef which they do here while education is on the such an all time low I think worst in the whole EU.

Also let us not forget that people worked incredibly hard for this kind of money. these companies did not build themselves through pure luck and people being lazy.

And I am saying this as someone who currently lives of Wealthfare during my retraining phase at the moment.and after cut of electricity, internet, and paying back my student debt I have like 200 Euro to live for a whole month. Thats basically for the food i need.

That's a normal scenario for a large percentage of the US populace today.

As far as your point about the hard work I think we can safely say in 2017 that we have seen enough 'successful' people in the world to understand that it is not simply a matter of good old fashioned honest hard work. That's endearing, but no.

Dude please quit. I'm black and you're being ridiculous. First of all, slavery is not unique to whites. At some point in time, virtually everyone was enslaved by another race/tribe. More so, even in America, there were black slave owners. Black people like you are the reason blacks arent developing like other groups/races. Your hatred is a hindrance. You do more harm than good. I make sure I distant myself from people like you because you have nothing to offer other than anger and hatred. Race baiting division nonsense.

Y’all are so full of shit. Angry black peoples are not more of a hindrance than a history of Jim Crow, redlining, predatory bank loans, unjust drug wars, stop and frisk, police brutality and profiling.

You sounds like a Fox News zombie.. “race baiting division” only right wing media junkies talk like that... so full of shit. How misinformed can you be?

That's a normal scenario for a large percentage of the US populace today.

As far as your point about the hard work I think we can safely say in 2017 that we have seen enough 'successful' people in the world to understand that it is not simply a matter of good old fashioned honest hard work. That's endearing, but no.
What is it then?

Because lots of those successful people work pretty damn hard.

Well not really, taxation if done right is a contract each member of a community has with the rest of the community. By living in and a society you are benefiting from all that comes with that, infrastructure, social services, law and order, safety and security, and a bunch of other things...including business opportunity. To a certain extent makes sense that some people should pay more than others because they benefit more from that society than others, you can't have a business that requires any sort of customer without a society to draw those customers from, and usually, you also take advantage of the benefits I enumerated above. But I do believe there should be a limit to how much extra we ask these rich people to pay. Right now most western nations have a progressive tax system, if it were completely fair it would be a flat (parentage based) tax since then the wealthy would still pay a lot more than the average person (20% of one million is a lot more than 20% of 3k).

The desire to have them pay more percentage than the average person seems to me to be motivated not by some sense of fairness, but by a wish to punish them for doing so well or because "they can afford it anyway" as if that makes it ethically any better.

Now all this said, wealth redistribution probably is necessary anyway, especially in today's society because we're seeing an unprecedented amount of wealth hoarding among the ultra rich. And if there is one thing history has taught us is the ugly things that happens in a society if the wealth gap between the lower classes and the "ruling classes" becomes too extreme (revolution, war, and political executions by the thousands). I just want it to be at a reasonable level that we can all feel "okey" about. We already have a reasonable level, we just need to close all the loop holes and get rid of the tax havens.

Firstly, a flat tax is diametrically opposed to fairness. That's where the progressive tax comes from. Put simply, a lower income family would feel the pain of that loss of income far more than the rich would even though the dollar amount paid in tax is higher. The lower and middle class can't even save money in this economy.

Calling a flat tax a 'fair' tax is framing- it's propaganda.

You're precisely right that the ultra rich are hoarding the world's wealth, and that is the fight we need to be in. All economic policy needs to be driven by this crisis. In spite of it being a crisis, conservatives in the US are going the other direction. More breaks for the ultra rich and corporations. On that note it is interesting how we are seeing companies like Apple- an American success story- scheming for the most beneficial tax havens. When you make it in America, it's 'smart' to avoid paying your fair share in taxes. President Trump thinks that's great. And we're supposed to believe conservatives when they say corporations will stop avoiding paying taxes in the US if we lower their rate.

luck, advantage, right place at the right time
Luck and right place at the right time are the same thing.

But what about intelligence and hard work? I mean if you had to put percentages to it would you say becoming wealthy is mostly down to luck and advantage or hard work and intelligence?

Relativ9

Firstly, a flat tax is diametrically opposed to fairness. That's where the progressive tax comes from. Put simply, a lower income family would feel the pain of that loss of income far more than the rich would even though the dollar amount paid in tax is higher. The lower and middle class can't even save money in this economy.

Calling a flat tax a 'fair' tax is framing- it's propaganda.

You're precisely right that the ultra rich are hoarding the world's wealth, and that is the fight we need to be in. All economic policy needs to be driven by this crisis. In spite of it being a crisis, conservatives in the US are going the other direction. More breaks for the ultra rich and corporations. On that note it is interesting how we are seeing companies like Apple- an American success story- scheming for the most beneficial tax havens. When you make it in America, it's 'smart' to avoid paying your fair share in taxes. President Trump thinks that's great. And we're supposed to believe conservatives when they say corporations will stop avoiding paying taxes in the US if we lower their rate.

Then we disagree on what the term "fair" means. And how it should be seen in economic terms. Fairness is completely independant of how it effects the two parties, it's all in the act itself. Are you taking more from one then you are the other? How is that fair? Doesn't matter how much they have.

If two hunters are carving up an animal they killed, both contributing equally to the hunt. But one hunter has a family to feed, and the other doesn't. Is it fair that the one with the family gets to take 70% of the meat while the other gets the rest? Or is it kindness on the part of the other hunter if he agrees to that?

Now take the same example and say that one hunter contributed 90% of the effort or means to actually catch and kill the animal, and he's still willing to split it 50/50. Would you still say it's unfair of him not to give the hunter with a family a bigger share? Would you force him to do so under threat of imprisonment?

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Luck and right place at the right time are the same thing.

But what about intelligence and hard work? I mean if you had to put percentages to it would you say becoming wealthy is mostly down to luck and advantage or hard work and intelligence?

intelligence and hard work are great. they are a lot more useful if you have the advantages to go to good schools and have a stable home life, or the connections to get the right jobs and career advancement

intelligence and hard work by themselves might get you to middle management someday

intelligence and hard work are great. they are a lot more useful if you have the advantages to go to good schools and have a stable home life, or the connections to get the right jobs and career advancement

intelligence and hard work by themselves might get you to middle management someday
I'm not wealthy but I find what you describe here to be a toxic mentality.

Then we disagree on what the term "fair" means. And how it should be seen in economic terms. Fairness is completely independant of how it effects the two parties, it's all in the act itself. Are you taking more from one then you are the other? How is that fair? Doesn't matter how much they have.

If two hunters are carving up an animal they killed, both contributing equally to the hunt. But one hunter has a family to feed, and the other doesn't. Is it fair that the one with the family gets to take 70% of the meat while the other gets the rest? Or is it kindness on the part of the other hunter if he agrees to that?

Now take the same example and say that one hunter contributed 90% of the effort or means to actually catch and kill the animal, and he's still willing to split it 50/50. Would you still say it's unfair of him not to give the hunter with a family a bigger share? Would you force him to do so under threat of imprisonment?

This would be a more accurate analogy if the hunter you're claiming is being treated unfairly already had a storehouse filled with more food than they could ever eat whereas the one with the family is living hand to mouth. You're not looking at the big picture.

Your analogy misses the mark.

We are speaking of fairness in the context of income and how taxation impacts quality of life. Nearly every country around the world employs a progressive tax system because it is more fair.

Lets say you have $200. The person next to you has $2,000. Take 20% off of that, leaving you with $160 and the other with $1,600. Every dollar means much more to your budget than the other person. That's what governments are concerned about in regards to 'fairness'- they don't want to increase poverty or put unnecessary strain on families that are already on a tight budget to make ends meet.

Blood Borne

I will never understand this logic that keeping the fruits of your labour is greed but seizing the fruits of another person's labour is compassion.

Blood Borne

Y’all are so full of shit. Angry black peoples are not more of a hindrance than a history of Jim Crow, redlining, predatory bank loans, unjust drug wars, stop and frisk, police brutality and profiling.

You sounds like a Fox News zombie.. “race baiting division” only right wing media junkies talk like that... so full of shit. How misinformed can you be?
No. You sound like a brainwashed indoctrinated leftist zombie. Please continue your victimhood mentality.

I will never understand this logic that keeping the fruits of your labour is greed but seizing the fruits of another person's labour is compassion.

That's because what you stated isn't meant to help understanding, it's meant to make you 'feel' a certain way about things. It's framing, or propaganda.

How do you feel about the wealth gap? That was a trick question. Do you understand that 1% of the population owns more than half of the world's wealth?

No. You sound like a brainwashed indoctrinated leftist zombie. Please continue your victimhood mentality.

I have a victimhood mentality because I actually know what I'm talking about and you clearly don't?

All those verified and actual issues I listed are real. Much more real than "angry black people are why" blah blah blah

Those are real social economic conditions. Fucking read a book

honest question, where do you get your information/news?
Honest answer: Everywhere. I have a subscription to the New York Times and the Wall St Journal. I have a desk job and browse through the news on Bing.com every day and that pulls from everywhere including an overly-heavy amount of the brain dead Huffington Post.

Honest answer: Fox News is the channel I watch the least but occasionally they'll run a real story that's too inconvenient to the left-wing political agenda for the CNN's of the world to report on and that I appreciate.

Dunki

honest question, where do you get your information/news?

Books are just like research studies they mostly want to show you the already decided conclusion. I think it is important to read many books on the same topic with different opinions and views Just Like I always read multiple sources from different viewpoints to build my own opinion.

I can not say much about the current situation in the US except what I am reading but I also beieve that on the internet and social media there is a dagerously high wave of victimization going on. Again not everyone probably not the most ones but this small and very loud minority does make the differentiation between the real victims and the ones who idelogy feel like victims very difficult

Honest answer: Everywhere. I have a subscription to the New York Times and the Wall St Journal. I have a desk job and browse through the news on Bing.com every day and that pulls from everywhere including an overly-heavy amount of the brain dead Huffington Post.

Honest answer: Fox News is the channel I watch the least but occasionally they'll run a real story that's too inconvenient to the left-wing political agenda for the CNN's of the world to report on and that I appreciate.

In a world with Vox, Quartz, Vanity Fair and Wonkette nobody should be reading an overly heavy amount of HuffPost

Books are just like research studies they mostly want to show you the already decided conclusion. I think it is important to read many books on the same topic with different opinions and views Just Like I always read multiple sources from different viewpoints to build my own opinion.

I can not say much about the current situation in the US except what I am reading but I also beiieve that on the internet and social media there is a dagerously high wave of victimization going on. Again not everyone probably not the most ones but this small and very loud minority does make the differentiation between the real victims and the ones who idelogy feel like victims

It seems like in that game one could choose who one wishes to be actual victims or not

So let’s hear the correct statistics from you, if you think he’s wrong.

I would love to see anyone here post anything of merit that refutes america's history of redlining, police profiling, jim crow and the drug war aren't real hinderances for black americas but their "angry attitudes is the the real hinderance"

open invite. Post something reasonably researched that says overly ticketing black americans or jailing us for the same drug possession crimes that whites aren't punished for is just "victimhood mentality"

I would love to see anyone here post anything of merit that refutes america's history of redlining, police profiling, jim crow and the drug war aren't real hinderances for black americas but their "angry attitudes is the the real hinderance"

open invite. Post something reasonably researched that says overly ticketing black americans or jailing us for the same drug possession crimes that whites aren't punished for is just "victimhood mentality"

People who deny institutional racism are like flat earthers to me. I'll never be that curious to want to hear more.

lem0n

I'm left leaning with I guess right views on migration.

Left
Support free education and health care, transitional meds paid for, pro gay rights marriage/adoption etc

Right
Support legal migration (became more that way as I have had to do it myself) Despite my German background I think Germany's open door position was disastrous.

The UN should be more forceful in enforcing peace.

Is it left or right to think that if you are on welfare for more than two years with no dependent children you should be force to work, road works etc

I hate to just quote a post and go "this" when it's something personal, but I'll be goddamned if I don't agree with every single thing here. So, erm... this!

People who deny institutional racism are like flat earthers to me. I'll never be that curious to want to hear more.

Got to give them just enough rope to choke themselves.

poster actually tried to deny systematic racism is real and claim some generalized hatred is what's the "real" hinderance for black americas, let's see if they have anything of merit to back that up

Dunki

I would not talk about obvious things and yes these are real victims if they are getting treated differently that needs to be addressed but its always easier to blame other people than yourself and many people on social media also go this route.

But if you want a link what I am talking about how about this.

Strategies to Deal with a Victim Mentality

Another one: From the New York times which also gives examples of this Victimhood culture we are dealing right now.

The Real Victims of Victimhood

”Victimhood culture" has now been identified as a widening phenomenon by mainstream sociologists. And it is impossible to miss the obvious examples all around us. We can laugh off some of them, for example, the argument that the design of a Starbucks cup is evidence of a secularist war on Christmas. Others, however, are more ominous.

On campuses, activists interpret ordinary interactions as ”microaggressions" and set up ”safe spaces" to protect students from certain forms of speech. And presidential candidates on both the left and the right routinely motivate supporters by declaring that they are under attack by immigrants or wealthy people.

So who cares if we are becoming a culture of victimhood? We all should. To begin with, victimhood makes it more and more difficult for us to resolve political and social conflicts. The culture feeds a mentality that crowds out a necessary give and take — the very concept of good-faith disagreement — turning every policy difference into a pitched battle between good (us) and evil (them).

This is not something that is not true or was not even predicted a while ago. This is real and its also a social problem and it goes both ways as my examples show.

I would not talk about obvious things and yes these are real victims if they are getting treated differently that needs to be addressed but its always easier to blame other people than yourself and many people on social media also go this route.

But if you want a link what I am talking about how about this.

Strategies to Deal with a Victim Mentality

Another one: From the New York times which also gives examples of this Victimhood culture we are dealing right now.

The Real Victims of Victimhood

These are real systematic differences that do need to be addressed. I'm inviting you to address them, not post think pieces that side steps my argument

ASAP

These are real systematic differences that do need to be addressed. I'm inviting you to address them, not post think pieces that side steps my argument
It’s almost as if their “evidence” doesn’t actually exist and have to flip every rock just to find another mouth pieces to feed their credulous nature.

DryvBy

Always been conservative and always will. I call myself a "recovering Republican" though as I don't think the party fully represents me.

Dunki

As I said before I am not American so this is not my place.

However I can think of a reason that has to do with stigmatization of black people. What I mean with that is that since so many more black people are statistically in jail police officers get more careful or agressive around black people. Especially in a Country in which even todddlers can have guns. The problem is that it becomes an neverending circle. While many black people unlawfully went to prison they still make it in a statistic that makes people to have more prejudices against them.

I am the same: For example since the criminal statistics regarding North african immigrants (not black people) has risen here in Germany I am more careful when I am alone on the street and encounter a group people I think maybe from North Africa.

Yes it is shitty but I can not help it since these staistics have an infleunce on my mind. And I think when you are black and and you hear horror stories every day in the news on social media etc that you automatically build up these prejudices against cops even if you do not want to.

I do not know if you were talking about this. Since its not an article but its my personal opinion after many thought on the topic. And I also do not know how to change this except build up better neighboorhoods.Which means make education more available in black districts and yes make weed legal give them a chance so these statistics will also change and bit by bit the view by cops and the view of black people regarding cops will slowly change.

Still that does not change my view that there is also a huge amount of victoomhood mentality going on on every sideand this makes political topics alwayys so difficult. Just like the article mentioned.

It’s almost as if their “evidence” doesn’t actually exist and have to flip every rock just to find another mouth pieces to feed their credulous nature.

Right. I'm inviting them to share information from any reputable sources that says systematic racism isn't a ongoing hinderance to black americas and that "hatred" from black folks is the real hinderance

of course they won't be able to. I just have a hard time letting blatant bullshit pass without offering actual facts, in the event that someone honestly unaware won't have only the bullshit to go off on.

turns out, for profit prisons and criminalizing non-violent drug offenders is objectively bad for people, especially traditionally marginalized groups like black americans and even more so when the same laws are not applied equally to white americans

Right. I'm inviting them to share information from any reputable sources that says systematic racism isn't a ongoing hinderance to black americas and that "hatred" from black folks is the real hinderance

of course they won't be able to. I just have a hard time letting blatant bullshit pass without offering actual facts, in the event that someone honestly unaware won't have only the bullshit to go off on.

turns out, for profit prisons and criminalizing non-violent drug offenders is objectively bad for people, especially traditionally marginalized groups like black americans and even more so when the same laws are not applied equally to white americans
If you really felt these things were out there and holding you down, why in the hell would you stay in this country?

The majority of countries in the world aren't white majorities. Why would you not move to one of those? Why do you stay in this country with these evil white people or leave for other evil white countries.

Makes no sense.

If you really felt these things were out there and holding you down, why in the hell would you stay in this country?

The majority of countries in the world aren't white majorities. Why would you not move to one of those? Why do you stay in this country with these evil white people or when you leave you leave for other evil white countries.

Makes no sense.

this is so fucking ignorant lmao

'just fucking move to another country'

Where is everyone getting those perceptual maps from? Is there an online quiz or something?

political compass dot com i believe

As I said before I am not American so this is not my place.

However I can think of a reason that has to do with stigmatization of black people. What I mean with that is that since so many more black people are statistically in jail police officers get more careful or agressive around black people. Especially in a Country in which even todddlers can have guns. The problem is that it becomes an neverending circle. While many black people unlawfully went to prison they still make it in a statistic that makes people to have more prejudices against them.

yeah, disproportionately criminalizing black people for the same crimes that whites commit even more of like drug use will create more black criminals so it's hard to take "there are more black criminals, therefore we target blacks more" as a honest excuse of systematic racism.

The american criminal justice system targeted black people more since inception, even more so since the 1970s and the "war on drugs"

you ever think, if the "justice system" would be fair, black americans would probably just be happy living our lives? but that wouldn't feed into your "victimhood" narrative

this is so fucking ignorant lmao

'just fucking move to another country'

yeah, that's stupid as hell. Most people can't just up and move to a different country, especially people who have the government nickel and dime'ing us for every little traffic offense, what the hell?

and that does nothing to solve the injustices in the american criminal system. Jeez...

Top Bottom