• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think are the biggest mistakes that have happened in gaming?

Spyxos

elder-scrolls-horse-armor-dlc-popular.jpg

This little dlc has started the biggest mistake in gaming for me. What does it look like for you?

Edit: Thanks mods for moving it into gaming.

Last edited:
I. Randomly procedurally generated content. AI and roguelikes are creatively bankrupt in every sense of the word.

II. In-game currency and battle passes. Not only can you not buy what you want directly but you may also have to do busywork to get it on top of paying extra for something you do not want.

III. Mod banning in PC space. Modding is a feature of the platform and the publishers and hosting sites are ruining it for everyone.

Last edited:
Xbox One reveal set the Xbox brand back immensely. Also mandatory Kinect.

Nintendo not going with Sony. Also the WiiU.

Sony’s PS3 hubris. I’d also say their lazy approach to first party since the PS3 days ended, but clearly this is a me issue and not an industry issue or “mistake”.

Saturn launch from Sega.

FeralEcho

elder-scrolls-horse-armor-dlc-popular.jpg

This little dlc has started the biggest mistake in gaming for me. What does it look like for you?
"It's just dlc, don't buy it, it's not that serious, it's just a video game lulz why are you all protesting against a small dlc."

- probably the same cretins that are now complaining about people protesting against censorship or always online with stupid shit like "lol don't you have internet in 2024" or "it's just a costume, it's not the whole game"

These types of people are the worst mistakes of gaming to me.The people who think they are neutral just because they don't care how much the corporation fucks them until the corporation is so far up their ass they begin to cope by supporting their decisions and become part of the problem.

Gojiira

Banned
Vita using proprietary memory instead of SD cards.
Xbox pushing paid online,dlc etc
Playstation closing Japan Studio
Monster Hunter going Nintendo only
Nintendo and their attitude towards fan made creations…

poodaddy

I. Randomly generated content. AI and roguelikes are creatively bankrupt in every sense of the word.

II. In-game currency and battle passes. Not only can you not buy what you want directly but you may also have to do busywork to get it on top of paying extra for something you do not want.

III. Mod banning in PC space. Modding is a feature of the platform and the publishers and hosting sites are ruining it for everyone.
Toronto Raptors Applause GIF by MOODMAN

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Sega after the Megadrive.
Xbox not having a better CEO than Spencer after Don mattrick.
Sony failed the PS2 to PS3 transition. A better one could have changed many thing and if the CELL was a great success they could have become a even bigger giant corporation.
Nintendo and the Wii U is obvious. But for me the gamecube was their failure. It forced them down the Wii path of being the alternative/ side console instead of having the ability to cater to all the console market and lost them some great games and studios. I know that they have been stronger from it like Sony gained great studios after the PS3 bad start. But it don't change the fact that for me those are the mistakes they did.

Kuranghi

GaaS, but the main reason is not because I dislike them or think they have affected SP games in a negative way, its because I have to endure Men in Boxes bumpfing on about them every fuckin day, Jesu Christi strike me down before I have to read another one please 🙏

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Recently, maybe GamePass. It's not really hurting the industry but it'll never catch on. It's not built for todays gamer.

Dreams was a pretty big whiff too. Get it out a little sooner, focus on multiplayer over single player creations, and financially incentivize creators a bit and it might have been huge. Getting that last 10 - 20% wrong was killer.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Many devs just make movies and not enough games. Overfocus on graphics and specs and not enough on good stories and good engaging gameplay.

I'm sure being used a media outlet for various amounts of propaganda and dogma isn't so good either.

Games from a decade ago are so full of vision and soul while most current games are just soulless and empty. Naught more then a shallow echo of times once past.

If games of the past shine like the Sun then the games of today only shine like the Moon and cannot even hope to reach the Sun's radiance and warmth.

KXVXII9X

1. The idea that games had to have x number of hours for every dollar spent leading to repetitive and unfocused gameplay, overly long open worlds, and live service that never end.

2. People quick at calling everything a gimmick and now allowing for new ideas to improve.

3. Ragebait journalism/YouTubers/Streamers and online discourse designed to keep people fighting.

4. Regression on physics and other interactive elements that enhance gameplay and presentation.

I will add more later maybe.

There's lots, but for the purposes of this thread I'll pick one that comes to mind:

• Releasing Halo Infinite a year before it was actually ready

I feel like Infinite's disappointing release started a cascade of events where Microsoft went from being viewed pretty favorably with some building excitement behind the brand again, to where they're at today (which is pretty much dead as a 1st party platform holder). If Infinite released a year later with a better campaign, more maps and modes, and Forge all ready to go, it would likely have been one of the most popular online shooters around.

It also forced Microsoft to put all of their eggs into the Starfield basket, and while I feel Starfield was a legitimately good/great game, it certainly didn't live up to the lofty sales or critical expectations set for it by Microsoft.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Recently, maybe GamePass. It's not really hurting the industry but it'll never catch on. It's not built for todays gamer.

Dreams was a pretty big whiff too. Get it out a little sooner, focus on multiplayer over single player creations, and financially incentivize creators a bit and it might have been huge. Getting that last 10 - 20% wrong was killer.

Dreams.

intbal

Delaying the Atari 7800 for two years when it was ready to go in 1984.
By the time they eventually launched it, it had no chance against the NES.
Killed off the American console industry.

Letting PC gamers shape the narrative for console gaming. PC dudes, I love your enthusiasm and pushing boundaries for your platform, but please stop trying to convince us that we need hyper-focused graphics, ray tracing, absurd frame rates etc.

On the other hand, modern games should be 4k & 60fps standard on traditional consoles because that's what was promised.

hinch7

Bethesda and Microsoft and horse armor, and people accepting it
Console online pay walls and gamers accepting it
Xbox One reveal and DRM plan before it was scrapped (bad for Microsoft)
Microsoft leaving its flagship franchise to 343i after so many fuck ups
Sony moving its PlayStation HQ to California, with all that entails
Sony buying Bungie
Hirinobu Sakaguchi leaving Square for his own ventures
Nintendo going back on Sony, which lead to the birth of Sony PlayStation (bad for Nintendo)

Edit: Oh and how can I forget, Konami for letting Kojima go. Then going on hiatus with gambling machines. Leaving MGS's future up in the air and other franchises boxed away for years. Wth was up with that.

Last edited:

SHA

-Piracy
-Destructive audience especially from artists pov
-Selfish capitalists
-Hard to relate what you experienced with what you want to play next.

Holammer

- Commodore spending time and money on the TED chip for the +4 & C16.

- Every controller Nintendo did after the SNES.
They tried too hard to innovate with gimmicks, while Sony found the perfect form with the Dualshock and just kept refining it.

- Wii era Motion controls. Everyone panicked and thought Nintendo was on to something and they quickly squeezed out imitations with Kinect & PS Move. But they were, all of them, deceived, for it was shite.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Not refining franchises and genres. Instead entire franchises have been taken into whole new genres or abandoned because they aren’t making CoD numbers.

Example:

Ninja Gaiden. It’s only entry that’s legit cheeks is the OG Ninja Gaiden 3.

Team Ninja then varies off into Nioh, Wo Long, Stranger of Paradise, and now Ronin. Mind you each game is good, some better than others. But none of them are NG. A franchise to this day heralded as the BEST of the character action genre.

Look at Gears of War. Oh sorry, it didn’t make Fortnite dollars. Guess we will ignore it for a while console generation.

Oh final fantasy should be a third person action game now, not turn based. Yet a turn based game like BG3 goes onto sell a truck load.

Too many developers chasing others success instead of finding their own success and expanding on it.

There was definitely a while there where you did need to chase MP or 100+ hours in a game, it needed open world, it needed top end graphics etc. Now that’s all settled and above all else people just want a cohesive gameplay loop and not be nickel and dimed, or have their time wasted.

I would kill for a new ninja gaiden. A traditional turn based FF. A new Socom focused on just fun like socom 2.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
The first several that came to mind:

Nintendo creating Sony due to their arrogance.

599 US dollars.

Microsoft giving up Xbox 360 levels of market control due to their always online and kinect insistence.

And Atari having no quality control, to the point of destroying the entire industry for a time.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Muricans and Euros not buying Sega Saturns and Dreamcasts and their many amazing games in droves because they fell for the paid marketing overhyping the competition and slandering these.

Last edited:

Red5

Becoming mainstream. Sure it brought us bigger budgets and cutting edge graphics thanks to investments but that all came at the expense of a diversity of genres and creativity. Developers chasing trends and GAAS to attain sustainability whereas selling 500k copies back in the mid 90's was considered a megahit.

Nah, StarCraft Remastered, Diablo 2, Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil prove remakes are great and in the case of Final Fantasy and Resident Evil expand on the lore.

Top Bottom