• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gems are trapped on last generation? (PS360)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Symphony of the Night
Street Fighter 3
Puzzle Fighter 2 HD
Virtua Fighter 5
Soul Calibur 5

Couldn't you argue that almost all the previous soul Calibur games are trapped in their console?

Save for the OG Soul Calibur that had an HD release

6XZvmhp.png

Criminally underrated. Only thing missing from this package was Viper Phase 1.

Hopefully it becomes BC on xbone one day.

I dont understand this "trapped" mentality about the previous gen of consoles.

Those consoles are still available to purchase, a lot of us probably still have them in working condition, they are hd... just enjoy the games on their original platforms and let those consoles have their exclusives. Not everything has to be on ps4/xb1.

Zeta Oni

Couldn't you argue that almost all the previous soul Calibur games are trapped in their console?

Save for the OG Soul Calibur that had an HD release

Soul Calibur II also saw a HD release, and that and OG are available on Xbox One BC.

IV and V are currently stuck on Xbox 360 and PS3, Soul Edge on PS1, and III is stuck on PS2.

Soul Calibur II also saw a HD release, and that and OG are available on Xbox One BC.

IV and V are currently stuck on Xbox 360 and PS3, Soul Edge on PS1, and III is stuck on PS2.

Wouldn't backwards comparability mean Soul Edge isn't trapped since it can be played on the PS2 and PS3? And SCIII can be played on some PS3s?

Guys, Catherine is already available on XB1.

As for real "trapped" games:
Ninja Gaiden black
Ninja Gaiden II
Tales of Vesperia
Demon's Souls
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja
Naruto: The Broken Bond (don't look at me like that, both games are pretty good)
Anarchy Reigns
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Persona 4 Arena

The same would go for Tatsunoko vs Capcom. You can play it on the Wii U.

Symphony of The Night had an XBLA and a PSP version, and it's on PSN for PS3/PSP/Vita, but it should probably be on Steam.

Also just a better port overall. I'm sure the PS3 and PSP version was fine, but the Xbox Live Arcade version was sub standard. Lots of little graphical hiccups, some missing music because of licensing reasons, stuff like that.

It was "functional." I got all the achievements. It's playable. But it could be, and deserves to be, a lot better.

I don't have an Xbox One but I notice Sonic Unleashed isn't listed as BC. It's my favorite Sonic game from last gen, and I'd love a really nice PC port if possible. There's a modding project that ports the Unleashed levels to the PC version of Generations, but it's not really the same.

RedSwirl

I dont understand this "trapped" mentality about the previous gen of consoles.

Those consoles are still available to purchase, a lot of us probably still have them in working condition, they are hd... just enjoy the games on their original platforms and let those consoles have their exclusives. Not everything has to be on ps4/xb1.

People don't like having to keep a shitload of consoles around just to play anything that's more than a few years old.

You don't have to keep around DVD players, VCRs, CD players, or record players in order to enjoy old films and music. You don't have to keep around old computers to play PC games from the 90's.

You don't have to keep around DVD players, VCRs, CD players, or record players in order to enjoy old films and music. You don't have to keep around old computers to play PC games from the 90's.

Unfortunately you kind of do, at least if you're unfortunate enough to like something that never got released on newer media (or that just doesn't work post-DOS for PCs)

Gaming isn't the only media where things get trapped in old formats. At least gaming has emulation to help a bit. Eventually that will allow the vast majority of games to be played on a single machine. It just takes a while to catch up.

playXray

Unfortunately you kind of do, at least if you're unfortunate enough to like something that never got released on newer media (or that just doesn't work post-DOS for PCs)

Gaming isn't the only media where things get trapped in old formats. At least gaming has emulation to help a bit. Eventually that will allow the vast majority of games to be played on a single machine. It just takes a while to catch up.

I think this is the point. There are occasionally gems trapped on old video hardware, and it's a real shame when the only way of watching them is digging out an old VHS machine or laser disc player. Same principle here.

RedSwirl

For other media stuff that get's "trapped in time" is a lot rarer though compared to the sheer amount of stuff that does get brought forward. The point is, today if you go to iTunes or PSN or the Microsoft store or whatever, you can buy just about any notable Hollywood movie you can think of from 50 years ago, or albums from the same breadth of time. The situation might be different for non-US media but I haven't looked into that. On top of that Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible with DVDs.

I'll admit it's probably easier for other media to be converted than for software to be converted to newer formats, but the pace at which older console video games are left behind is still abnormally rapid compared to other media. Stuff like this is why I bought almost all my multiplatform games on PC last gen. Now I have a laptop that runs them without breaking a sweat.

And it also remains to be seen how long it will take before PS3 can be emulated. The Cell processor is tough. PC emulation is just now able to get a handful of games playable. It would be great if PS5 could pull it off though.

Zeta Oni

Wouldn't backwards comparability mean Soul Edge isn't trapped since it can be played on the PS2 and PS3? And SCIII can be played on some PS3s?

The same would go for Tatsunoko vs Capcom. You can play it on the Wii U.

Pretty sure this is in regard to it being playable on current generation hardware, so Xbox One/PS4/PC.

Lots of X1 compatible games, as well as games available on PC in this thread.

Metroid Prime stuck in PS2 generation. And no other developer can make a game like it. :(
Er, it got a Wii port, which itself is currently available to buy on Wii U. So while it's not on current gen via the Switch, it's no where near stuck in the "PS2 gen".

Edit: Ah, already stated and responded to. Still, the topic isn't about a game's graphics being stuck in the past, but rather the literal ability to play the game.

lestar

No more heroes 1 and 2
Deadly creatures

MadWorld.jpg

I'm cheating here but I would kill for Sega to port MadWorld to PC with updated controls and a higher resolution. One of my favorite Platinum games, and probably my favorite game on the Wii period.

all of those are perfectly emulated on PC with Dolphin (and backward compatible in WiiU), I wouldn't consider any Wii game trapped

Demon's Souls, MGS4, Tokyo Jungle and Dragon's Crown.

It's only logical that they throw money at dudes like Bluepoint again to give us 60 fps, 4K Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 Pro. Konami should do the same with MGS2&3 and I'd also take it from Sony with God of War 1 & 2.

I would love to be able to play through LBP1 and 2's story mode levels again on PS4... ideally, the most dedicated LBP fans could just buy them as deluxe DLC for LBP3. Or they chould resurrect and finish LBP Hub so that it's all 3 LBP titles and all the DLC ever in one F2P (or already owned = honored) launcher.

Castle Crashers too if you're PS4 only. Behemoth seems admirably loyal to XBLA and justifiably preoccupied with Pit People.

shandy706

People naming all kinds of games on PC...LOL.

Also..

Shadows of the Damned
Catherine
Red Dead Redemption
Dead Space
Bad Company 2
Ilomilo
Ghostbusters
Castle Crashers
Daytona
Soulcalibur 1&2
Dark Souls
Mass Effect 1-3
etc...etc...

Guys, these are all on Xbox One too

daevv

Would love to see a Alan Wake Franchise/Complete edition with all the DLC, soundtracks, and American Nightmare on PS4. The time is right after it being pulled from digital stores because of music licenses. Remove the songs and re-issue!

When PS4 and XB1 were launched there were clearly loads of games that were unavailable on the new platforms. However, after the launch of BC on XB1, and many of the top PS3 games being remastered for PS4, loads of these have been brought into the current gen. In addition, many received PC ports, so are playable that way. However, there are still a few lost gems that are only available on PS3 or Xbox 360 (without BC). I'm thinking:

Ni No Kuni
Metal Gear Solid 4
Yakuza 3, 4, 5
Demon's Souls
LittleBigPlanet
Magic Orbz (I know, but my wife and I used to love playing this!)
Resonance of fate

Which of your favourite games are stuck on older hardware?

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot Resonance of Fate!

El Shaddai!!!

Top Bottom