• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Green Day? Uno, Dos, Tré and Dookie turned to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
He's always been niche. Not really in the same ball park. I'm not the biggest Nick Cave fan by any means, but I don't associate him with reinventing himself constantly the same way I see Bowie doing that.

Does being niche matter? And while he hasn't reinvented his music as often, possibly, he's certainly done a better job of it when he has. Bowie from the early 80's all the way up to Reality in 2003 is pretty bad, Cave has only really done the one bad album (subjectively speaking of course).

wrowa

I wonder if they still can identify themselves with the music they make. As said before, Greenday is kind og part of teenage angst segment of punk rock and at some point in life it just doesn't feel very believable anymore.

And then, eventually, you end up being that band that tries to be young and attracts old people who try to be young again. It's awkward.

What do you mean what happened?
They've always been overrated, American Idiot onwards are bad-god awful.
Dookie is probably the most overrated album of all time.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm at work so I can't check but I swear the chord progression under the solo of The Longest Line is suspiciously identical to the one used throughout Basket Case. I could be completely wrong though. Happens to the best of us :)

I thought Basket Case was a copy of Canon in D anyway?

What's the point in coming into a thread like this and saying "they were always terrible"? Linkin Park thread too. Is it expected that people who like them are going to go "my god, you're right, I've wasted my life" and throw their CDs out? Is it just that important to register your disdain? I mean, it has no effect on anyone's life if YuGiOhFan34 dislikes x band or whatever, it's not like we're gonna see future posts and go "hey, that's the guy who says Green Day were always shit". Music is the absolute most subjective medium that exists, and there's no discussion to be had in straight up saying "nah, always bad".

Wait, I've just figured out what the point is. To provoke a response. Damnit, I fell for it again!

Green Day is awesome. 21st Century Breakdown and Uno are great albums but not as good as the old ones. Dos and Tre I recognize the decline. Although I enjoyed Nightlife with the vocals of Lady Cobra.

Does being niche matter? And while he hasn't reinvented his music as often, possibly, he's certainly done a better job of it when he has. Bowie from the early 80's all the way up to Reality in 2003 is pretty bad, Cave has only really done the one bad album (subjectively speaking of course).

Being niche does matter in the context of this discussion, and the rest of your post is just a poor opinion in my books.

Worth noting: Nick Cave played David Bowie covers in his first band.

Chibot

After listening to all three, I felt like consolidating the best tracks onto a single album would have been a much better idea. Or they could have just released Uno. There are quite a few songs I liked, but so much of the second two discs is thoroughly average. It's the first time I've been less than satisfied with a Green Day release.

Futureman

I'm at work so I can't check but I swear the chord progression under the solo of The Longest Line is suspiciously identical to the one used throughout Basket Case. I could be completely wrong though. Happens to the best of us :)

Listen to "Ha Ha You're Dead" by Green Day and you'll change your opinion on which Green Day songs sounds like "Longest Line" HA.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

They aren't identical but they use the same muted power chord technique, which is super common in the genre to begin with. I'm sure Green Day were influenced by NOFX in some way, but these two songs are not nearly similar enough to warrant rip-off accusations.

I haven't liked Green Day since Nimrod and even then, I wasn't a huge fan of that album. Their turn to a more rock opera-type of band wasn't something I liked, bar a few good songs. I bought Uno and Dos thinking it would be a return to form. Sadly, it wasn;t.

What's the point in coming into a thread like this and saying "they were always terrible"? Linkin Park thread too. Is it expected that people who like them are going to go "my god, you're right, I've wasted my life" and throw their CDs out? Is it just that important to register your disdain? I mean, it has no effect on anyone's life if YuGiOhFan34 dislikes x band or whatever, it's not like we're gonna see future posts and go "hey, that's the guy who says Green Day were always shit". Music is the absolute most subjective medium that exists, and there's no discussion to be had in straight up saying "nah, always bad".

Wait, I've just figured out what the point is. To provoke a response. Damnit, I fell for it again!

because I like sharing my own opinion. I don't care if people respond or not.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Regardless of whether you like them or not, American Idiot was one of the most important rock albums of the past few decades. That's pretty impressive when you consider what they had already did with Dookie, Insomniac, Warning, etc...

The triple albums would have been a much better release if they narrowed the best songs down to a single record. Still, they're like the Foos in the sense that everything they do from this point on is just icing on the cake.

2n992DL.gif

Futureman

To be honest with you Metropole is really the only album of theirs I've gotten in to, but I like it a lot.

It's their only album I didn't really get into :)

one of my favs but Metrople didn't grab me so much.

"Quincentuple Your Money" is I believe the quintessential Lawrence Arms song.

Takuan

Man, I thoroughly enjoyed American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. Some great rock ballads in there. Couldn't care less about the sincerity behind the political overtones, the tracks bang. I don't think I care at all what an artist represents anymore, generally, when listening to music.

It's their only album I didn't really get into :)

one of my favs but Metrople didn't grab me so much.

"Quincentuple Your Money" is I believe the quintessential Lawrence Arms song.

I'm going to check that out pronto. "YMCA down by the clinic" really sealed it for me. Just some amazing lyric work in that song.

Is that what punk is? By its very nature, it shouldn't be something that can be labelled that easily. Do the likes of Sonic Youth, The Clash, The Stooges, Wire etc fit those terms? Did they do music for late adolescent teens? Nope.

I don't think I'd classify Sonic Youth as punk. Somewhat punk influenced, sure.

Was a huge Green Day fan growing up around the time of Insomniac and Nimrod, however I grew out of it.

But I REALLY dug the shit out of their side-project THE NETWORK. Really fun album that doesn't take itself seriously which was a change to Green Day's teen angst they still had on their follow-up albums.

The Network - Supermodel Robots

Off the top of my head Basket Case (is that the "do you have the time..." one?) ripped off the chord progression of The Longest Line so closely that sometimes NOFX will seamlessly play a few bars of that song when playing The Longest Line live. There were 2 or 3 more I can't remember but I'll come edit this post if they come back to me.

Here it is if anyone is interested (skip to 1:40): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lkwN39GvAE

Seriously NOFX is the band that keeps on giving. Consistently put out solid albums (Coaster is amazing). Just saw them live on Monday actually here in Halifax, so damn good.

21st Century Breakdown was one of the biggest bummers in modern music. Barely kept up with them since and everything ive heard was dull.

Seems like they just ran out of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom