• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Green Day? Uno, Dos, Tré and Dookie turned to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so sure that's the case, I saw NOFX last month and the place was packed with thousands of people from age 16 to 60. NOFX haven't changed much at all and still put out good NOFX songs.

There are plenty of bands that didn't turn to complete dung like green day, equally there are loads that also turned shit or just called it quits.

Many of the members of these bands spin off in to solo careers that they can make a living from, some of these solo careers are excellent.

NOFX has always had a bit of a cult following to them and not to mention they haven't been playing as consistently as Green Day. Also assuming you went to the Fat Wreck anniversary show which had a lot of other bands on it that would draw people in.

I they got more musically complex, but less... young and spontaneous. Not dissimilar to:

rhcp_zps5c9d6c20.jpg

They're the de facto example of a band that's changed style so much that they've annoyed a huge chunk of their fanbase. There's rarely ever been a switch in style as acute and sudden as what they did. I'm honestly stunned that anyone claiming to have any knowledge in music at all could claim that their style hasn't changed much. Seriously, wtf?

I was baffled myself, especially being a huge Radiohead fan.

And I love the variety.

King_Moc

Banned
I will admit I'm not much of a Radiohead fan or don't have much knowledge of their full catalog.

They alienated and lost a huge number of fans with the release of Kid A in 2000. They were most certainly not targetting their usual fanbase. They went from alt rock to experimental electronica in the space of one album.

Was a really big Greenday fan for Kerplunk, 39 Smooth, and of course Dookie. They were the albums of my elementary and middle school days and my first contemporary band obsession.

Didn't listen to much of anything else after Insomniac, which was probably the first time in my life I was ever disappointed by a band's new album. I didnt even really know what it was like and I was like "hm, why don't I like this as much as the last two," and had to come to terms with fandome.

Still think Green Day has a much better catalogue than Weezer, two bands that I'd argue peeked right around the same time (Green Day shortly before Weezer) and yet both continued to release albums for decades.

AgeEighty

Green Day. I have never seen any band stay so popular for so long while changing their sound so little.

You could play any one out of quite a few of their songs and not be able to tell if it came out in 1990 or 2010.

Also, for some reason Billie Jo Armstrong and Katy Perry look more like each other every year.

Even in highschool, as the target demo, I felt like American Idiot was way too far up it's own ass. I remember thinking that you could see a clear progression in the album art from goofy, irreverent stuff, all the way to... Whatever that chewed up metaphor was.

I never liked System of a Down for a lot of the same reasons. Bands that are at their best being silly who decide they've got to 'use their platform' or somesuch.

Futureman

I work at a college doing print services. I was just down at the print shop where some student workers had a mix on... while I was counting some stock, "When I Come Around" and "Blvd of Broken Dreams" came on and they were singing every word. They are probably 20 years old.... so the kids still like them!

Billie Joe Armstrong should put out another album of Everly Brothers songs, because the first one with Norah jones was AMAZING.

I can see Radiohead has now played into this thread.

Christ, feels like I'm at /r/music with the amount of circle and counter-circle jerking over them.

Hydrus

They were a fun band throughout the 90's, then I think there popularity started going down a bit in the early 2000's. They then decided to start wearing make up, dress like 13 year old poser d-bags, write edgy political songs & suck themselves off. They became sellouts.

Went from this:
628x471.jpg

To this:
green-day-american-idiot.jpg

gogosox82

Ok that triple album probably wasn't the best idea, but there were a few songs on there that were good. I personally still like them but their earlier work was better. They really haven't been the same since American Idiot came out.

hawk2025

Let's take a bunch of 90's people:

Pearl Jam - Survived the 90's transition gracefully, if somewhat boring. Still carries a modicum of respect

Foo Fighters - zzzzz

The Smashing Pumpkins - Incredible start, surprising sound twist, meteoric fall

Weezer - Refused to change significantly and grow up

Rage Against The Machine - Everyone else grew up

Nine Inch Nails - the anti-Rage, managed to age and evolve gracefully despite trying to keep some "angst". Helped by Reznor's fantastic scores.

Green Day - Did not age gracefully

Offspring - lol

Limp Bizkit - top lols

Sublime - add new vocalist, tour the world smelling of old people closet

LInkin Park - Well, at least they tried to change

Wilco - Aged gracefully, flirted with boring, came back

Flaming Lips - Aged very gracefully, freaked out, came back, freaked out again, aged terribly, bounced back, went insane, Miley Cyrus

Radiohead - Changed sound half a dozen times, aged gracefully, if uneventfully on the very latest release

Bjork - Another successful, inventive and creative artist from the beginning to today. Missteps only highlights the highs, rather than showing signs of fatigue.

Beck - Solid mix of inventiveness, settling down on his own sound, and trying new things. Solid evolution.

Sonic Youth - New, inventive, moving forward until the bitter end. Individual parts still producing amazing music.

Conclusion:

Sonic Youth taught all the kids of the 90's how to do it.
Then they taught everyone else again.

Wire's still doing some pretty cool stuff too.

Wire and The Fall are two of the only punk or punk-derived bands from the 70s still putting out respectable material and good shows today. But most of what they do is loosely affiliated with punk at most.

There's still a good number of 70s punk band still touring, but most have been relegated to county fair status.

hawk2025

Wire and The Fall are two of the only punk or punk-derived bands from the 70s still putting out respectable material and good shows today. But most of what they do is loosely affiliated with punk at most.

There's still a good number of 70s punk band still touring, but most have been relegated to county fair status.

I read your reply and thought immediately "there are tons more!", but I admit I'm struggling a bit to think of any.

I saw Wire a few years ago and it did not disappoint, but I can't think of anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom