• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Green Day? Uno, Dos, Tré and Dookie turned to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read your reply and thought immediately "there are tons more!", but I admit I'm struggling a bit to think of any.

I saw Wire a few years ago and it did not disappoint, but I can't think of anything else.

When I was going to a lot of punk shows in my youth, which was the mid-to-late-90s in central California, there were still plenty of 70s and 80s punk bands gigging through the area. Even at the time I thought most of the old bands whose records I loved just seemed tinged with sadness still trying to project a youthful punk image and attitude even though it was half a lifetime ago for many of them. Most were from California and elsewhere in the States. Some even came over from the UK to tour California.

Cut to 2015, there's still a lot of these punk bands still around, still putting out records. Sometimes I'll search them up on Spotify or something and see they've been putting out increasingly limp looking records for years, even going by the cover art.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I swear to god I can't fucking understand what accent Billy Jay Armstrong or whatev his name is fakin when he sings

Wire and The Fall are two of the only punk or punk-derived bands from the 70s still putting out respectable material and good shows today. But most of what they do is loosely affiliated with punk at most.

There's still a good number of 70s punk band still touring, but most have been relegated to county fair status.

Buzzcocks are still killing it. Their 90s albums were pretty bad but their past 3 are all fucking awesome. Saw them at a sold out show in Toronto a few months ago and they were amazing.
NOFX, Bad Religion and Descendents are all still going strong too but they're all from 1980-1983 so they just miss the cutoff.

hawk2025

Buzzcocks are still killing it. Their 90s albums were pretty bad but their past 3 are all fucking awesome. Saw them at a sold out show in Toronto a few months ago and they were amazing.
NOFX, Bad Religion and Descendents are all still going strong too but they're all from 1980-1983 so they just miss the cutoff.

Mike Watt still plays all the time, Bob Mould too.

Not sure if you guys would count those though.

I actually just gave American Idiot a spin last night and thought it held up pretty well. To see if it was just the nostalgia I listened to a few other bands I liked back when it came out like Reliant K and had to turn that shit off right away.

Some of the lyrics in those American Idiot songs... Yikes.

matt360

Green Day will always be my favorite band. They were my first live show. I saw them when I was in 6th grade in the gym at the University of North Florida for $4, and got to meet them after the show. They were incredibly nice and friendly. This was after Dookie had come out but hadn't reached its full popularity yet. I've seen them a dozen or so times after, and they still put on a fantastic show.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think they are the best band out there. Not by a longshot. And I kinda do get why people aren't crazy about them. And I do concede about Uno, Dos, and Tre. But the hate they get kinda baffles me. They sold out? Please. Are you 12 years old?

Another reason why I appreciate them so much is that they were my gateway into the punk scene in middle school. NOFX, which is my 2nd favorite band came soon after, and Pennywise, Lagwagon, the Descendents, Bad Religion, Strung Out, and Bigwig, along with many, many more, became my life.

And American Idiot is a masterpiece. Not my favorite GD, but a masterpiece all the same. No worries if it's not for you, but to say it wasn't the most important rock album of that decade is kind of ridiculous. Even if you argue it doesn't belong at number 1, it'd be a hard sell to convince anyone it doesn't belong in the top 3.

devonodev

They're no longer trying to release revolutionary music, just putting out some fun casual albums they know won't do that well.

And that's alright.

hawk2025

Green Day will always be my favorite band. They were my first live show. I saw them when I was in 6th grade in the gym at the University of North Florida for $4, and got to meet them after the show. They were incredibly nice and friendly. This was after Dookie had come out but hadn't reached its full popularity yet. I've seen them a dozen or so times after, and they still put on a fantastic show.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think they are the best band out there. Not by a longshot. And I kinda do get why people aren't crazy about them. And I do concede about Uno, Dos, and Tre. But the hate they get kinda baffles me. They sold out? Please. Are you 12 years old?

Another reason why I appreciate them so much is that they were my gateway into the punk scene in middle school. NOFX, which is my 2nd favorite band came soon after, and Pennywise, Lagwagon, the Descendents, Bad Religion, Strung Out, and Bigwig, along with many, many more, became my life.

And American Idiot is a masterpiece. Not my favorite GD, but a masterpiece all the same. No worries if it's not for you, but to say it wasn't the most important rock album of that decade is kind of ridiculous. Even if you argue it doesn't belong at number 1, it'd be a hard sell to convince anyone it doesn't belong in the top 3.

It doesn't require a hard sell: Even completely mainstream publications like Rolling Stone hardly rank it close to the top 10, nevermind at the very top, ranking in at 22:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...000s-20110718/the-strokes-is-this-it-20110715

If you move to even slightly more specialized press, it basically disappears from the top 100.

In terms of influence, quality, and importance for what came after, there are dozens of albums that are head and shoulders above, even if I like them to varying degrees:

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Radiohead - Kid A
Arcade Fire - Funeral
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
The Strokes - Is This It

All punched into the mainstream and had a markedly larger impact on the type of music produced over the next decade than American Idiot ever did.

At its best, American Idiot had a short-lived influence on the kind of thing that played on the radio for a while. But like The Monkees have a fraction of the influence of the Velvet Underground, the influence in airplay at the time is small potatoes next to the impact on the production and direction of new music going forward.

Metacritic's analysis of the 00's is quite interesting:

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-albums-of-the-decade-a-roundup-of-critic-lists

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I still stand my original theory back on page 1.

They hit with AI and that spiralled out. Then they tried to follow up with Breakdown in a same theme when it just a AI retred. Then they came back to earth, but they just dumped all of their material vs honing shit down with the tripple record.

Warning as an album gets too much shit, and what they needed to do was wait a few more years after AI than they did. Then instead of Breakdown just release a modern day Warning record for this decade which would be totally fine for their age and place in their career.

Hey, guys, it's possible to like NOFX and Green Day!

Bad Religion is way better than both bands, though.

Strung Out (although they're more metal/hardcore these days they are still the best band to emerge from the punk scene since The Clash) and Lagwagon trump all. I say this as a massive NOFX and Bad Religion fan.

Dishwalla

Banned
It's funny to try and pit Green Day and NOFX against each other though, since neither band holds malice towards the other and Fat Mike and Billie are actually friends, Fat Mike has done interviews where he mentions hanging out with Billie.

inner-G

Banned
I still stand my original theory back on page 1.

They hit with AI and that spiralled out. Then they tried to follow up with Breakdown in a same theme when it just a AI retred. Then they came back to earth, but they just dumped all of their material vs honing shit down with the tripple record.

Warning as an album gets too much shit, and what they needed to do was wait a few more years after AI than they did. Then instead of Breakdown just release a modern day Warning record for this decade which would be totally fine for their age and place in their career.
AI may have sold well but I think they had already lost the Magic by then

matt360

It doesn't require a hard sell: Even completely mainstream publications like Rolling Stone hardly rank it close to the top 10, nevermind at the very top, ranking in at 22:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/l...000s-20110718/the-strokes-is-this-it-20110715

If you move to even slightly more specialized press, it basically disappears from the top 100.

In terms of influence, quality, and importance for what came after, there are dozens of albums that are head and shoulders above, even if I like them to varying degrees:

Radiohead - Kid A
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Strokes - Is This It

All punched into the mainstream and had a markedly larger impact on the type of music produced over the next decade than American Idiot ever did.

At its best, American Idiot had a short-lived influence on the kind of thing that played on the radio for a while. But like The Monkees have a fraction of the influence of the Velvet Underground, the influence in airplay at the time is small potatoes next to the impact on the production and direction of new music going forward.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/best-albums-of-the-decade-a-roundup-of-critic-lists

I said rock album. That RS article lists all genres. And it's still ridiculous to rank them so low.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Radiohead - Kid A
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Strokes - Is This It

Modern day music critics generally lend towards the indie rock scene, edm, or some flavor mix of rap/rnb. What they miss is the large segment of kids that listen to what is more played on modern pop/rock alt rock stations.

Carls who infamously was unknown and never seen or known or did interviews went AWOL a while back and sold off Hipster Run Off which was arguably THE music blog or the one that started the modern influx of music blog. When he came out of his shell after one of the things he commented on both in interviews as well as his weekly radio show on XMU is were they all missing the large modern day swath of what kids like vs really pandering to music nerds that were more in their 30s. The kids were all listening to a channel up on the dial called Alt Nation playing AWOL, Walk the Moon, Imagine Dragons, Rise Against ect...

None of that is gonna end up on music critic lists, but then again music critics might be on a different plane flight.

matt360

It's funny to try and pit Green Day and NOFX against each other though, since neither band holds malice towards the other and Fat Mike and Billie are actually friends, Fat Mike has done interviews where he mentions hanging out with Billie.

Seems like for the longest time the only thing Fat Mike hated was Florida. Which sucks because that's where I'm from. Every single year when I was in high school they'd drop out of the Florida segment of the Warped Tour. Really fucking bummed me out. Still, they did come around every now and then, but mostly saw them out of state or even in Japan. They still put on an amazingly tight show.

hawk2025

I said rock album. That RS article lists all genres. And it's still ridiculous to rank them so low.

Modern day music critics generally lend towards the indie rock scene, edm, or some flavor mix of rap/rnb. What they miss is the large segment of kids that listen to what is more played on modern pop/rock alt rock stations.

Carls who infamously was unknown and never seen or known or did interviews went AWOL a while back and sold off Hipster Run Off which was arguably THE music blog or the one that started the modern influx of music blog. When he came out of his shell after one of the things he commented on both in interviews as well as his weekly radio show on XMU is were they all missing the large modern day swath of what kids like vs really pandering to music nerds that were more in their 30s. The kids were all listening to a channel up on the dial called Alt Nation playing AWOL, Walk the Moon, Imagine Dragons, Rise Against ect...

None of that is gonna end up on music critic lists, but then again music critics might be on a different plane flight.

The distinction is completely irrelevant, and I fail to see how any of these points help. The RS list features all genres, but there are still 10+ rock albums ahead there.

If we're talking strictly popularity, we might as well just copy and paste the Billboard list every week, or look at the best-selling albums of the 2000s. For example, in the UK:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...s_of_the_2000s_(decade)_in_the_United_Kingdom

At which point, a host of other rock bands sold more, including Coldplay (with three albums above American Idiot), Keane, Scissor Sisters, and more.

No one's talking, from a musical perspective, about AWOL, Walk the Moon, or Imagine Dragons because they are irrelevant. Their impact on music is irrelevant, regardless of how many movie trailers play I Bet My Life.

There is no objective measure through which American Idiot is in the top 10 most important or influential rock album of the 00's, nevermind at the very top.

Dishwalla

Banned
Seems like for the longest time the only thing Fat Mike hated was Florida. Which sucks because that's where I'm from. Every single year when I was in high school they'd drop out of the Florida segment of the Warped Tour. Really fucking bummed me out. Still, they did come around every now and then, but mostly saw them out of state or even in Japan. They still put on an amazingly tight show.

Well you did screw up the 2000 election for the rest of us. ;)

21st century breakdown is just AI 2.0, devoid of anything original. Uno, dos and tre are absolute bullshit.

I don't know, they used to do really good pop punk, but their change to basically pop rock was really uninteresting (unlike bands that actually pulled it off, like paramore going full-pop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom