• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Green Day? Uno, Dos, Tré and Dookie turned to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Day were amazing up until warning, then they started a sharp decline in to the U2 territory that they now inhabit.

They were my favourite band for many years, all of the early stuff is still fantastic but I like to pretend that they just ended the band after Nimrod came out.

Futureman

I totally understand people disliking pop punk music as it can be pretty cheesy in general, but what if someone came into a thread you made about the anime in your avatar and they were like THIS IS SHIT and I quoted it YUP

it does nothing for conversation and just clogs up the people who do want to talk about it.

Here it is if anyone is interested (skip to 1:40): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lkwN39GvAE

Seriously NOFX is the band that keeps on giving. Consistently put out solid albums (Coaster is amazing). Just saw them live on Monday actually here in Halifax, so damn good.

THANK YOU for linking that! I knew I wasn't going crazy. I saw them last Thursday on the Fat Wreck tour in Toronto and they fucking killed it (although Strung Out stole the show. 7th time seeing them and they still give me chills). Hard to believe a band that formed in 1983 is still putting out solid music and having an amazing live show.

Those bands and artists don't depend on late adolescent angst and skateboard culture to make music. Punk bands only have a finite amount of time to be significant before their schtick conflicts with their SES.

Not so sure that's the case, I saw NOFX last month and the place was packed with thousands of people from age 16 to 60. NOFX haven't changed much at all and still put out good NOFX songs.

There are plenty of bands that didn't turn to complete dung like green day, equally there are loads that also turned shit or just called it quits.

Many of the members of these bands spin off in to solo careers that they can make a living from, some of these solo careers are excellent.

Green Day still makes me happy, but I was 13 in '94, so nostalgia probably counts for a lot.

Off the top of my head Basket Case (is that the "do you have the time..." one?) ripped off the chord progression of The Longest Line so closely that sometimes NOFX will seamlessly play a few bars of that song when playing The Longest Line live.

That chord progression is used in a huge number of pieces— it's Pachebel's Canon (Green Day at 3:46).

pants

I totally understand people disliking pop punk music as it can be pretty cheesy in general, but what if someone came into a thread you made about the anime in your avatar and they were like THIS IS SHIT and I quoted it YUP

it does nothing for conversation and just clogs up the people who do want to talk about it.

I like punk music, else I wouldnt have bothered to click the link. The very premise of this thread was 'yeah this became shit' the idea that it was always shit is therefor a part of this conversation, but go off on a tangent about anime avatars and only wanting positive opinions mate.

Also, for the record, not that it matters <- the avatar is Kanbaru from Bakemonogatari, if you thought it was shit and wanted to express it, it wouldnt bother me for 0.5 seconds because i cant give a shit that people dont like what I like, what DOES however bother me is people who feel they need to have an opinion about other people's opinions,

2n992DL.gif

What? American Idiot was the album that every radio rock band tried to emulate for the rest of the decade.

Glad someone posted the pachabel video, it's so true. There are basically a handful of cord progressions in all of rock that just get repeated by everyone ad nauseam, doubly true in the punk sphere (and I love punk to death)

FireCloud

I like Green Day...well the earlier stuff more than the later stuff. I still haven't listened to the triple album but I own Dookie, Kerplunk!, Nimrod, Insomniac, Shenanigans, American Idot, and 21st Century Breakdown. Thanks to this thread...I know what I'll be listening to today.

I imagine it is hard for a band to maintain the level of anger/angst that shows up in their earlier works once they've become a success. It changes your perspective on things.

I think of it like what happened to The Police. Their earlier stuff was a cool Reggae influenced Punk that as they became more and more popular became less Punk. They're still one of my favorite bands but I don't look at their earlier stuff (which gets more play) in the same way as their more popular later works.

Same can be said for U2 in the extreme...(Their earlier stuff wasn't Punk but it definitely lost it's "edge" (no pun intended) once they became successful worldwide)

Glad someone posted the pachabel video, it's so true. There are basically a handful of cord progressions in all of rock that just get repeated by everyone ad nauseam, doubly true in the punk sphere (and I love punk to death)

There are only 12 notes man, and not as many chord progressions that fall neatly into a key as you'd think.

The fact that you seem to be convinced that this is the only acceptable framework of making music is another symptom of the problem

Where did I say that?

Edit: I'm still baffled by this post. Are you saying there aren't 12 notes, or that you could invent new chord progressions whole cloth?

Big fan of the band. I actually thought 21st Century Breakdown was halfway decent. Lost track of them after listening to Uno and Dos and failing to find any memorable tracks. I can listen to Nimrod, Warning, or their older albums any time though. Great stuff.

depths20XX

I thought it was really goofy how they started dressing up like My Chemical Romance or whatever when American Idiot came out. Like "hey we definitely aren't trying to pander to anyone here."

Hard to stay punk rock in your fourties. Dookie was great and American Idiot was good but you have to grow up while they have to cater to the group of kids that discover their music.

This thread is painful to read in so many ways. Green Day has always been shit? American Idiot is their best album? I mean, I know these are opinions, but hot damn. American Idiot has some catchy melodies, but it's the definition of an overproduced rock album that panders to the lowest common denominator. It's that song you hear in the background at the grocery store or as you're switching radio stations.

Their early albums had a "nothing to lose" and "fuck you" power to it that punk is supposed to have, in addition to that catchy sing-along melody that made that feeling available to more than just the underground punk crowd. Green Day flew too close to the sun is what happened.

Duster

You wanna know what happened?

They got old

It makes me wonder when I grow to be that age
Will I be walking down the street begging for your spare change
Or will I grow that old? Will I still be around?
The way I carry on I'll end up six feet underground
And waste away...

This thread is painful to read in so many ways. Green Day has always been shit? American Idiot is their best album? I mean, I know these are opinions, but hot damn. American Idiot has some catchy melodies, but it's the definition of an overproduced rock album that panders to the lowest common denominator. It's that song you hear in the background at the grocery store or as you're switching radio stations.

Their early albums had a "nothing to lose" and "fuck you" power to it that punk is supposed to have, in addition to that catchy sing-along melody that made that feeling available to more than just the underground punk crowd. Green Day flew too close to the sun is what happened.

Nevermind was an overproduced pop record that had singles you can hear practically anywhere but does that make it any less influential or important?

Can punk be mainstream? It has to be anti-establishment, so isn't that compromised when it's mainstream?

And I'm fairly sure rock was mainstream in 2004.

You know what's anti-establishment? Having a policially-conscious 6x Platinum rock album that has 2 9min+ songs in 2004. Sounds pretty fucking punk to me.

It makes me wonder when I grow to be that age
Will I be walking down the street begging for your spare change
Or will I grow that old? Will I still be around?
The way I carry on I'll end up six feet underground
And waste away...

It seems so frightening.
Time passes by like lightning.

Dishwalla

Banned
Nevermind was an overproduced pop record that had singles you can hear practically anywhere but does that make it any less influential or important?
No, but it makes me wonder why it is as influential and important as it is, when it was clearly Nirvana's worst record.

Not saying American Idiot is Green Day's worst record, because it's not, but it's no where near their best. Insomniac was no where as influential as AI, but it was a hell of a lot better musically.

No, but it makes me wonder why it is as influential and important as it is, when it was clearly Nirvana's worst record.

Not saying American Idiot is Green Day's worst record, because it's not, but it's no where near their best. Insomniac was no where as influential as AI, but it was a hell of a lot better musically.

Sorry! I only meant to quote that post on the part about Nevermind, not the second half. That was meant for another user. My bad.

I agree with you for the most part though. It's interesting, even though I think In Utero/Insomniac are better albums, I think Nevermind/AI managed to find a near-perfect balance between style and substance. Really refined records.

King_Moc

Banned

Nevermind tied up all of the alternative elements that had been gaining traction in late 80's USA into one nice commercially friendly package. That's about it, quality isn't the most relevant thing where success in music is concerned. Though I do like Nevermind.

spliced

LOL a music question on GAF, home of the worst musical taste I've ever seen...unless you reverse it and take what GAF hates as recommendations then it's not too bad.

No one can keep it up forever, the fact they came out with American Idiot when they did was a pretty amazing accomplishment. Maybe they have more in them we'll just have to wait and see. They aren't really that old but it's tough to make great high energy music with an edge as you get older.

They already got their ticket stamped as the greatest pop punk band ever, you can't really be better at what they do. It's hard to pick a favorite album, I loved Dookie but overdosed, Insomniac is loaded with good songs but I only kinda like Brainstew/Jaded.

King_Moc

Banned
LOL a music question on GAF, home of the worst musical taste I've ever seen
...unless you reverse it and take what GAF hates as recommendations then it's not too bad.

No one can keep it up forever, the fact they came out with American Idiot when they did was a pretty amazing accomplishment. Maybe they have more in them we'll just have to wait and see. They aren't really that old but it's tough to make great high energy music with an edge as you get older.

They already got their ticket stamped as the greatest pop punk band ever, you can't really be better at what they do. It's hard to pick a favorite album, I loved Dookie but overdosed, Insomniac is loaded with good songs but I only kinda like Brainstew/Jaded.

And your opinion counts for more because...?

Enron

Banned
Dookie is a great album. But it was a combination of the time, their age, etc. that all came together at the right moment. That was 20 years ago. Things aren't the same, and neither are they.

Futureman

Brainstew on the Godzilla soundtrack is pretty funny. If I remember correctly it's essentially the same song but has Godzilla moaning in the background.

Brainstew on the Godzilla soundtrack is pretty funny. If I remember correctly it's essentially the same song but has Godzilla moaning in the background.

It also added some bizarre electronic sounds.

The soundtrack did give us one of the best Foo Fighters songs though:

A320.

The best part is, Dave Grohl considers it his favorite song they've ever done and Godzilla one of the worst movies he's ever seen.

Valhelm

contribute something
Green Day are a mediocre band who managed to write two amazing albums. I wouldn't be all that surprised if they made another gem in a few years, because they seem to have a hit every decade.

Off the top of my head Basket Case (is that the "do you have the time..." one?) ripped off the chord progression of The Longest Line so closely that sometimes NOFX will seamlessly play a few bars of that song when playing The Longest Line live. There were 2 or 3 more I can't remember but I'll come edit this post if they come back to me.

Oh come on. Every pop punk band rips off the other. The chord progressions in punk and hardcore are so damn similar it's why there are so many generic, boring bands.

What about Robert Plant, Eddie Vedder and Radiohead? Don't get me wrong I do agree that getting old has a lot to do with it, but can't be the only thing, right?

You named two musicians and one band so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Just going off the one band Radiohead and Green Day aren't directly comparable since Radioheads sound didn't change much over the years.

inner-G

Banned
1. Kerplunk
2. Dookie
3. 1,039 Slapped Out Happy Hours

I can leave all the rest. Everything American Idiot and after, I really don't care for. Acoustic Green Day? No thanks.

Not so sure that's the case, I saw NOFX last month and the place was packed with thousands of people from age 16 to 60. NOFX haven't changed much at all and still put out good NOFX songs.

There are plenty of bands that didn't turn to complete dung like green day, equally there are loads that also turned shit or just called it quits.

Many of the members of these bands spin off in to solo careers that they can make a living from, some of these solo careers are excellent.

I think I was directing my post at GD specifically instead of every punk band. You're right, other punk bands continue to produce solid music. I just feel like GD always stuck to a certain...aesthetic that has gotten long in the tooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom