• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is The Future of 3D Mario?

Squeak

Kard8p3 said:
Now to give my opinion on this 3D Mario debate I prefer the linear level design of the galaxy games to M64. It was when I got to the throwback galaxy that I realized just how much more I preferred the level design of the galaxy games. I still love M64 but as a platformer it's weaker than the galaxy games to me. The best stages from 64 are the bowser stages and those are linear.
That level was an abutated version, missing everything that made the original great. Even the music was borked. Still, it made me realise how much I missed the unrestrained freedom of movement from M64. That's where I quit the game and started Mario 64 instead to play the real deal. Ahh! :D

Kard8p3

Squeak said:
That level was an abutated version, missing everything that made the original great. Even the music was borked. Still, it made me realise how much I missed the unrestrained freedom of movement from M64. That's where I quit the game and started Mario 64 instead to play the real deal. Ahh! :D

Like I said I still love Mario 64 but I prefer the galaxy games. I can still go back and play it but I find that both the adventure elements and the platforming have been improved on in other games. Banjo Kazooie improved on everything Mario 64 did and the Galaxy games have far better platforming than 64. I find that I can replay pretty much any stage from the galaxy games and never get bored but with Mario 64 I can only say that for the bowser stages, the clock stage (I forget it's name) and the rainbow ride stage.

Magnus

Galaxy effectively replaced previous 3D Mario titles as far as I'm concerned in becoming the de facto 3D platformer. I'm puzzled that some people think it was a tangential experiment in gameplay style for Mario and that we might or should go back to 64. Please no.

Squeak

beelzebozo said:
open world platformers, which were once far more prevalent than they are now. in fact, as kevin noted, they're pretty much nonexistent so far as i can tell.
They are probably the type of game that takes the most resources to get right. The art alone is costly as hell, because you have to make a unique world, not just hallways or building/city blocks.
But they are also some of the most fulfilling and immediate games of all. Apart from M64, just think of Rayman 2, Rocket Robot on Wheels, Ape Escape etc. No other "genre" really lends itself to exploring and adventuring in a big rich environment.

Magnus said:
I'm puzzled that some people think it was a tangential experiment in gameplay style for Mario and that we might or should go back to 64. Please no.

I know, it's weird how people can have different opinions, huh?

I do love the Galaxy games, they're both fantastic. But I agree with other people that I loved the open world exploration of Super Mario 64. In fact, this same ability to explore back and forward is present in Super Mario Bros. 3 (technically also 2 USA,) and many hail that as the best Mario ever.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Himuro said:
Are any of those Mario rpg games for ds good? What about the Bowser game?

Wasn't crazy about BiS myself... felt the combat got too repetitive (it didn't help that each area had very limited amount of enemy types), dungeons were a bit too big for a handheld game, the minigames/DS implementation didn't really work for me, and I hated hated hated the music. Other people really liked the game tho.

NeonZ

The last 2D game before M64, Yoshi's Island, had plenty of exploration..

Yoshi Island also wasn't a traditional Mario game in many aspect. Also, although it had larger emphasis on exploration, it still kept a large number of levels that the player needed to go through, rather than changing to Mario 64's set up of only a few stages that needed to be replayed many times to get anywhere in the game.

Galaxy also has secret stars and locations, just like the 2d games. Galaxy doesn't have, however, just like the 2d games, a focus on throwing the player into the same area over and over.

I never had a problem with that in Mario 64. You'd have to be really spatially challenged to get lost in that game.

I don't mean getting lost. However, jumping repeatedly to the same stages to go through the same locations seemed like a rather limiting experience, especially compared to the 2d Mario games which presented entirely unique stages every time.

Recycling is wrong word to use here IMO

It's the correct word. Go play any of the 2d Mario titles. The core of the games always was going through new areas, with the exploration being an extra, exactly like in Galaxy. The focus was never just in exploring the same limited locations repeatedly. Until Mario 64.

Well that's just what you write, I don't have any proof that that is even what you feel yourself deep down, or if you have other motivations to say what you do...?

Well, if the post history still worked, you probably could find some very old posts of mine (pre-Galaxy) talking about how I felt that 3d Mario games structure felt limited, and wondering how they could bring back the sense of adventure, of going through a large amount of places and obstacles like in the 2d titles, rather than just the limited locations of the 3d Mario games.

Either way, I know that there are people who prefer the "exploration" style. That's obvious. However, it's just a lie to claim that Mario 64 was an "evolution" of the series. It was a change, due to both 3d gameplay and the new focus on exploration.

Years later, now with more experience in 3d design, they managed to bring back the "adventure/action" gameplay back to the series, in a 3d environment.

Most of the levels allow you to go after any star you like (hence the "open" statements made by many), thus no part of the level is ever unused--it all exists for your exploration at any time.

The problem wasn't parts of levels getting unused, it was parts of levels repeatedly used as "filler" content before the player could get to a new area with another star.

Also, that is the one of the more liberal uses of the word "recycled" I've seen. The specific challenges within each level were not recycled.

In a 2d Mario game, if you unlocked a new stage, and it was just a previous stage with a "twist", everyone would scream that it was a recycled level. The fact that Mario 64 built an entire genre around that idea... a genre that went on to disappear... shows to me that people were willing to overlook that limitation due to the "3d marvel", but, when they got over that, the concept became much less appealing.

Like I've said before, Galaxy 1/2 still didn't break that idea completely, although it advanced in that direction, so I think there's still space to create a title that truly breaks that characteristic of 3d "platformers" and that's probably the direction they're going, considering the progression from Mario 64 through Sunshine and finally Galaxy.

redbarchetta said:
That didn't prevent Super Mario World from being many fans favorite game.

You mean the game that, like SMB3, had more than just the same uninteresting obstacles to go through compared to SMB?

Power-ups are ultimately but a facet of the Mario experience

In Galaxy, they were a way of allowing the player to approach familiar features in new ways. Waterfalls were timed wall jumps, water was an ice rink, large jumps were areas of deliberate jumps (for the spring), etc.

Metal mario was interesting, but other two were extremely meh.

(and with that said, the wing cap is still one of my favorite power-ups ever--certainly better than the equivalent power in Galaxy.)

That's because there is no equivalent in galaxy other than a power-up with timed real flight (instead of gliding) that could only be used in the hub world and one level. I'm sure people would have loved telekinetic mario more if they could get to use it in more elaborate stages.

apana

Is anyone else alright with the idea of having both styles in one game? That's what I'm leaning towards right now. The worlds are separate from one another so there is no logical reason why they couldnt.

Boogiepop

apana said:
Is anyone else alright with the idea of having both styles in one game? That's what I'm leaning towards right now. The worlds are separate from one another so there is no logical reason why they couldnt.
I feel like that'd probably be a good and somewhat logical progression if they go for a Galaxy 3, at least. Like, say, finally remove the arbitrary limitation that each level has to have a certain range of stars. For example, I feel like Galaxy 2 would've benefited if they, say, scrapped some of the more useless levels/stars (stone cyclone, retread of Luigi's purple coins, etc) and put those into the handful of levels like Starshine Beach that really felt like they should've been expanded into something a bit beefier (level structure would of course need to be expanded as well, but that should be obvious and would probably benefit the levels as well).

apana

Mank said:
I feel like that'd probably be a good and somewhat logical progression if they go for a Galaxy 3, at least. Like, say, finally remove the arbitrary limitation that each level has to have a certain range of stars. For example, I feel like Galaxy 2 would've benefited if they, say, scrapped some of the more useless levels/stars (stone cyclone, retread of Luigi's purple coins, etc) and put those into the handful of levels like Starshine Beach that really felt like they should've been expanded into something a bit beefier (level structure would of course need to be expanded as well, but that should be obvious and would probably benefit the levels as well).

I thought there were a few levels in Galaxy 2 that could have been expanded to become more "open" world. Fluffy Bluff Galaxy is what comes to mind, I was sort of dissapointed when I couldnt explore more.

NeonZ said:
In a 2d Mario game, if you unlocked a new stage, and it was just a previous stage with a "twist", everyone would scream that it was a recycled level.

Perhaps, but we're not discussing reusing levels in a 2D platformer; it's a different situation with a different context.

NeonZ said:
The fact that Mario 64 built an entire genre around that idea... a genre that went on to disappear... shows to me that people were willing to overlook that limitation due to the "3d marvel", but, when they got over that, the concept became much less appealing..

You're missing the point again. There is, absolutely, no "overlooking." The game is fantastic BECAUSE it had you replay the same environments, seeking out new things to do, things to find, and new ways in which to interact with the environment. What you call "recycled" I call "dense." What you refer to as "limitation" I view as "foundation."

NeonZ said:
The fact that Mario 64 built an entire genre around that idea... a genre that went on to disappear...

You mean like how side-scrolling platformers were all but dead just a few years ago (and are, of course, a much smaller portion of the market now)? And it's not as if the 3D genre hasn't been revisited at all: The Maw and Nuts and Bolts both share games in the same vein. Genres come and go and its recent lack of installments isn't necessarily indicative of anything.

NeonZ said:
I don't mean getting lost. However, jumping repeatedly to the same stages to go through the same locations seemed like a rather limiting experience, especially compared to the 2d Mario games which presented entirely unique stages every time.

But it's not limiting, it's liberating, to me and many others. There's no so many more things to do than simply work your way through an area and never experience it again. The level of density is simply unmatched by any other Mario game, and offers so much to see and do.

NeonZ said:
Either way, I know that there are people who prefer the "exploration" style. That's obvious. However, it's just a lie to claim that Mario 64 was an "evolution" of the series. It was a change, due to both 3d gameplay and the new focus on exploration.

It's not a lie. "Evolution" holds no inherent positive or negative connotation.

NeonZ said:
Years later, now with more experience in 3d design, they managed to bring back the "adventure/action" gameplay back to the series, in a 3d environment.

I disagree--Galaxy is fantastic, but it came at the expense of "adventuring," at least in the context of which it has been used in this thread. There is minimal exploring--the goal is almost always clear, and of which there is almost always just one.

TestOfTide said:
You mean the game that, like SMB3, had more than just the same uninteresting obstacles to go through compared to SMB?

They weren't uninteresting in the original. Less diverse, sure. Uninteresting, no.

TestOfTide said:
That's because there is no equivalent in galaxy other than a power-up with timed real flight (instead of gliding) that could only be used in the hub world and one level. I'm sure people would have loved telekinetic mario more if they could get to use it in more elaborate stages.

That is the closest equivalent, actually (imo). It was under-utilized, granted, and wasn't as well conceived nor implemented to the same fun effect. The next closest equivalent was the Bee suit, which merely felt like a means to an end. Direct comparisons aside, the Wing Cap is my favorite power-up in any Mario game, offering an unprecedented level of freedom and fun (for me) in the series.

ntropy

DaBuddaDa said:
I don't doubt the tremendous skill it takes to pull those stunts off, but when it's a Nintendo game that's called "shortcuts and tricks," and in any other game it's called "bugs and glitches" or "rushed level design."
didn't know world -1 in smb was referred to as a "shortcut"!

Amir0x

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
I don't doubt the tremendous skill it takes to pull those stunts off, but when it's a Nintendo game that's called "shortcuts and tricks," and in any other game it's called "bugs and glitches" or "rushed level design."

It's a bug or a glitch to clearly utilize accumulated skill sets to take advantage of Nintendo's meticulously designed levels? Well, then, lemme get more of them bug and glitches and rushed level design.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has some of the best level design of any platformer in existence. To call it 'rushed' is just another way of saying 'i have no idea what I'm talking about.'

Which is appropriate, of course, considering your history in the framerate debate threads and your LIMBO love.

AniHawk

Regulus Tera said:
Déjà vu.

Pretty much. I bet we'll see NSMB3D as a brand new game, and probably a port of SMS. I doubt they'll have a premier team like EAD Tokyo work on a game for the 3DS when their new console would need it much more.

DaBuddaDa

Amir0x said:
It's a bug or a glitch to clearly utilize accumulated skill sets to take advantage of Nintendo's meticulously designed levels? Well, then, lemme get more of them bug and glitches and rushed level design.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has some of the best level design of any platformer in existence. To call it 'rushed' is just another way of saying 'i have no idea what I'm talking about.'
Nah, 75% of the video you posted is the guy exploiting the mechanics and level design to "break" levels beyond the developers intent for the player. If there is a way to jump alongside walls not intended to be reached in the first place to circumvent half of an entire level, yeah, that's either rushed or poorly tested.

apana

AniHawk said:
Pretty much. I bet we'll see NSMB3D as a brand new game, and probably a port of SMS. I doubt they'll have a premier team like EAD Tokyo work on a game for the 3DS when their new console would need it much more.

Probably not. They could just port a galaxy game. There is no need to revisit that part of their history. Besides they have to make a brand new 3D Mario game for the 3DS, they love to experiment and the 3DS opens up a lot of possibilities.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
apana said:
Probably not. They could just port a galaxy game. There is no need to revisit that part of their history. Besides they have to make a brand new 3D Mario game for the 3DS, they love to experiment and the 3DS opens up a lot of possibilities.
Galaxy 1 is only 3 years old. if they port a 3D Mario it will be Sunshine and maybe it will be a remake.

apana

Chris1964 said:
Galaxy 1 is only 3 years old. if they port a 3D Mario it will be Sunshine and maybe it will be a remake.

If that's the case its better not to port a game at all, just build it from the ground up. That's what Nintendo wants to do anyways. They could have started work on it right after they finished 2. Galaxy 3 in 3D, it would be a trilogy. :D

Anth0ny

Amir0x said:

Completely agreed

M64 has been ripped to shreds by speed runners :lol

Rafaelcsa

Lone_Prodigy said:
So in terms of general insanity, Zelda fans > Metroid fans > Mario fans?

Judging by this thread, Mario fans are getting up there. :lol

Then again, Other M brought out Zelda-fan level of insanity in most people involved as well. :lol

I guess Nintendo did well in equalizing the insanity among its three main franchises this generation! Before it was mainly just Zelda fans that were completely bonkers.
I can only imagine how insane people are gonna react to whatver design quirks Skyward Sword is going to have, if the reactions to Twilight Princess, Other M and Galaxy 1/2 are anything to go by.... Should be glorious!

All they need to do is do 3D Mario in a 2D plane & that'll keep me happy for a very long time as I don't think they'll reproduce the magic I felt with Mario64 (seriously, you killed my love for 3D Mario in a 3D World with Sunshine).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I actually do sorta miss Mario 64's openness in terms of getting whatever star you wanted whenever you wanted.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Rafaelcsa said:
Judging by this thread, Mario fans are getting up there. :lol

Then again, Other M brought out Zelda-fan level of insanity in most people involved as well. :lol

I guess Nintendo did well in equalizing the insanity among its three main franchises this generation! Before it was mainly just Zelda fans that were completely bonkers.
I can only imagine how insane people are gonna react to whatver design quirks Skyward Sword is going to have, if the reactions to Twilight Princess, Other M and Galaxy 1/2 are anything to go by.... Should be glorious!
Since when Metroid is one of Nintendo's 3 main franchises? Reactions to Galaxy 1/2 are far from insane and definetely not representative of this thread.

Chatin

I love how people think Mario 64 had "secrets". If that's the route we're going, Super Mario Galaxy 2 was much more clever with hidden stars.

I love Super Mario 64 to death. And I loved it all over again on the DS. But Super Mario Galaxy 2 is sheer brilliance, and is just an improvement on every aspect that was pioneered with Super Mario 64, with much better balance toward brilliant platforming.

SMG2 haters have to grow up and join us in the real world.

Amir0x

Banned
Himuro said:
Which are completely possible on Mario 64. Your argument is pretty thin, here. You have the same skillset in Mario 64 that you do in Galaxy aside from the spin.

I didn't even say anything about Mario 64 in my comment.

Galaxy's level design is factually superior to Mario 64, however.

Squeak said:
The camera is the best 3rd person camera ever on a console bar Wind Waker. There is nothing to be frustrated with compared to other attemps. It's awesome and customisable.

That's one of the things I really, really miss in the Galaxy games. IE. being able to swing the camera around freely and have all the different views of the scene that you want. First of all to see where you are going, or want to go. And secondly to judge distances.

So you got used the the crappy mario 64 camera where players had to constantly go in and out of first person or change the camera just so that they could get a sense of depth and distance. I'm sure you see it as a positive the numerous times that I needed to tweek the camera because the game didn't realize I would rather see something besides the wall I am near or if I wanted to walk on a long, thin walkway and the game.

Meanwhile, the rest of use enjoyed the camera in SMG that almost always gave the best viewpoint. If you were on a small or medium planetoid, it was birds-eye so that you could perfectly figure out your jumps. If you were circling around a tower, it circled around the tower so that it wasn't a nightmare to make perfectly perpendicular walljumps. And even more important was that no matter what direction was "up" in terms of gravity, you could always follow the simple rule of "move the analog stick in the direction you want mario to" and it worked. Galaxy's camera managed to do things in different types of gravity that 64 struggled to do even in one universal constant of gravity.

But you know what, even when the camera angles weren't optimal, you still had the option to change the camera in the more open area parts and even at the very least look in first person. The more closed areas already gave you the optimal camera angle.

Name one time in Galaxy where the game was a pain to play because of camera angles that you couldn't change.

Chatin said:
I love how people think Mario 64 had "secrets". If that's the route we're going, Super Mario Galaxy 2 was much more clever with hidden stars.

As far as I can tell, almost everyone has referred to "secrets" within the context of the entire Mario series...

Amir0x said:
Galaxy's level design is factually superior to Mario 64, however.

The only thing factual about this is that it's factually untrue. Subjectively, sure.

Is it factual that you believe it to be better? Yes. But there is no objective standard on which a declarative and all-encompassing statement can be made, and to pretend to do such, is frankly, an embarrassment.

TestOfTide said:
Name one time in Galaxy where the game was a pain to play because of camera angles that you couldn't change.

Honeyhive Galaxy. Especially when looking for the coins. I can't remember whether it was due to not being able to change the camera or not, but I found the camera to be annoying there regardless.

With that said, Galaxy's camera, while not faultless, is one of the best I've ever seen. Although Mario 64's, while admittedly surpassed, was not nearly as troubling for me as you seemed to have found it.

Amir0x said:
Facts are the facts. I can't help you beyond that. I ain't gonna lie for the thread

You don't have to lie. You also don't have to make up "facts" that actually aren't--nor could ever be--facts.

Also, I have not impressed an opinion on which game features better level design--this is merely a matter of what can and cannot be factual. And your opinion is not fact.

DaBuddaDa

redbarchetta said:
The only thing factual about this is that it's factually untrue. Subjectively, sure.

Is it factual that you believe it to be better? Yes. But there is no objective standard on which a declarative and all-encompassing statement can be made, and to pretend to do such, is frankly, an embarrassment.
I said about 100 posts back that he'd say that. Usually he has a fairly compelling argument to present, but I guess we're out of luck today.

DaBuddaDa said:
I said about 100 posts back that he'd say that. Usually he has a fairly compelling argument to present, but I guess we're out of luck today.

You nailed it. I was holding out hope that it wouldn't come to this, but alas, it has.

Chatin

redbarchetta said:
As far as I can tell, almost everyone has referred to "secrets" within the context of the entire Mario series...
The difference being that a hidden warp pipe in SMB1, or hidden flute in SMB3, or hidden exit in SMW, or hidden star in SMG2 were actually hidden. The closest thing Super Mario 64 had to a secret was the flight cap level in the lobby. And required absolutely no creative platforming...

BumRush

TacticalFox88 said:
Super Mario Dimensions. Travel through the worlds of the past Mario games as well as others.

This actually sounds incredible...maybe some time traveling sprinkled in?

Amir0x

Banned
redbarchetta said:
You don't have to lie. You also don't have to make up "facts" that actually aren't--nor could ever be--facts.

Also, I have not impressed an opinion on which game features better level design--this is merely a matter of what can and cannot be factual. And your opinion is not fact.

It's objectively true in the same way saying that Dr. Strangelove is factually superior to Manos: Hand of Fate. You may indeed choose to say that it's just an opinion that Dr. Strangelove is better than Manos: Hands of Fate, in some vague determined dedication to the staunchness of subjectivity, but ain't nobody gonna take that opinion seriously. It's de facto -- truth.

Chatin said:
The difference being that a hidden warp pipe in SMB1, or hidden flute in SMB3, or hidden exit in SMW, or hidden star in SMG2 were actually hidden. The closest thing Super Mario 64 had to a secret was the flight cap level in the lobby. And required absolutely no creative platforming...

You're thinking within the context of only things that aren't the goal. Many of the stars were hidden, and could be considered "secrets." Take for example the 5 hidden spots in Shifting Sand Land.

In addition, several levels featured secret warp points (such as the cave in Bob-omb Battlefield), secret 1-ups, hidden blue coin switches, hidden levels (such as the one Jolly Roger Bay's room or the one in the Tick Tock Clock room, secret interactions (water level changes in Wet-Dry World depending on how high you jump/time speeds up or slows down in Tick Tock Clock contingent on when you enter), and several easter eggs, such as the diving penguins.

Amir0x said:
It's objectively true in the same way saying that Dr. Strangelove is factually superior to Manos: Hand of Fate.

That also is not objectively true.

Amir0x said:
You may indeed choose to say that it's just an opinion that Dr. Strangelove is better than Manos: Hands of Fate, in some vague determined dedication to the staunchness of subjectivity, but ain't nobody gonna take that opinion seriously.

Being taken seriously is not a prerequisite for having an opinion. However, I stopped taking you seriously when you began purporting opinions as facts.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Chatin said:
This is bullshit, have you ever played the game? because it doesn't sound like it. Just because you read in a faq how to get each star, doesn't mean that other people didn't have fun and trouble finding them all. Remember there are 12 hidden stars in the castle with no hints where they are.

Chatin

redbarchetta said:
You're thinking within the context of only things that aren't the goal. Many of the stars were hidden, and could be considered "secrets." Take for example the 5 hidden spots in Shifting Sand Land.

In addition, several levels featured secret warp points (such as the cave in Bob-omb Battlefield), secret 1-ups, hidden blue coin switches, hidden levels (such as the one Jolly Roger Bay's room or the one in the Tick Tock Clock room, secret interactions (water level changes in Wet-Dry World depending on how high you jump/time speeds up or slows down in Tick Tock Clock contingent on when you enter), and several easter eggs, such as the diving penguins.
Asking the player to go stand in five places in the level does not denote secrets, even if they tried to call it that. The game never required any exploration, and it was always obvious what you had to do. The "exploration" you think was possible in Super Mario 64 was just an illusion of 3D gaming. You can go check out that corner of the map, and call it exploring, but there isn't anything there...

Chatin said:
Asking the player to go stand in five places in the level does not denote secrets, even if they tried to call it that. The game never required any exploration, and it was always obvious what you had to do. The "exploration" you think was possible in Super Mario 64 was just an illusion of 3D gaming. You can go check out that corner of the map, and call it exploring, but there isn't anything there...

That was but one of myriad things I listed. Do you not consider the rest as secrets? Why?

I even noted other secrets similar to your cited "flight cap" level--why do those not fit?

Chatin said:
The "exploration" you think was possible in Super Mario 64 was just an illusion of 3D gaming. .

I suspect you thought this made sense when you wrote it. Care to elaborate?

Amir0x

Banned
redbarchetta said:
Luckily, I really don't care if you take me seriously or not, seeing as you're not even aware of the distinction between opinion and fact.

:lol Jesus

welp, back to playing the factually superior to Mario 64 Super Meat Boy

Chatin

manueldelalas said:
This is bullshit, have you ever played the game? because it doesn't sound like it. Just because you read in a faq how to get each star, doesn't mean that other people didn't have fun and trouble finding them all. Remember there are 12 hidden stars in the castle with no hints where they are.
Well I certainly hope they didn't give hints because every star was blatantly obvious .

I don't need some irate teenager telling me I never played Super Mario 64.

Top Bottom