• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the Oldest Save File You Still Have?

Unfortunately I believe my NES Zelda cart battery died. I seem to remember checking it a few years ago and no saves were on there. So... my oldest save is probably on my Sonic & Knuckles cart from 1994 or so. IIRC that had some non-volatile RAM for saving on it but I may be mistaken and I haven't checked in years so it could be toast. Last I tried to check my Genesis was dead. If all that fails probably Mario Kart 64.

Speaking of old saves, I realized about a year or so ago my Gamecube memory card was dead as was my original PS2 memory card (some of my other's still worked). Really bummed me out :(

I have some game shit saved on a TRS-80 cassette somewhere. I don't remember if any of the games even let you save at all though now that I think about it.

Console-wise, I think my Zelda 2 and Startropics saves are still fine. All of my SNES stuff still works as well.

krae_man

I quit gaming for about a year when I was around 18 so I don't own any games I owned as a kid, I had to rebuy them all later.

So the oldest right now is probably some PSP or Wii game saves. It would have been my PS3 game saves but my launch PS3 YLOD'd a few weeks ago:(

iirate

My Earthbound cart still has a working battery. Unfortunately, my little sister gave away my NES games to a friend quite some time ago (without my permission).

18-Volt

How could you keep all SNES game saves alive? My saves were all dead in seven years.

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins for me too. First beaten the game in 1992 and its save is still there.

Ha! Just found my PS1 memory card:

602879boxart_160w.jpg
Novastorm_PS1_US_FRONTboxart_160w.jpg

1.Kileak The DNA Imperative

2.Novastorm

My God...Novastorm...bad nostalgia.

Game was awful.

I would still have some old PS1 saves if not for trusting those stupid 3rd party multi-page cards. I've sold off most of my cartridge systems, so probably an old Gameboy game like 6 Golden Coins would be my oldest, if it still works.

Phatcorns

My gold cart Zelda save still worked as of last year. I'm kind of afraid to try it now though because it's going on 24 years now.

Gustav

Banned
Has to be some save on my PSP. Wipeout or Lumines, probably.

Edit: just realized those are gone too. Well something on my PS3 then. Nothing too old. :(

ShaunBRS

My Pokémon Gold save is over eleven years old if it still works (I haven't got a GB to test it at the moment). Failing that, I still have a Metroid Prime save from 2006.

I still have my Star Wars X-Wing save files from 1997 or something :)

Oh, and my Secret of Mana save file from 1995.
Yeah, that might be the oldest one.

How could you keep all SNES game saves alive? My saves were all dead in seven years.

Not touching them for 16 years does help a bit, I guess?

Sciz

I might have some PC saves floating around circa '92 or '93, but aside from that, I know good and well that the SRAM in my Sonic 3 cart still holds up.

Hey You

I think I have a couple of Game saves on my PS2 memory sticks.

Well if I can recall, quite a few. They are only from like 4-5 years ago though.

Ogni-XR21

I don't know if they still work but if they do it has to be Maniac Mansion on C-64.

The oldest one I know that still works is a game I made back on the Shoot Em Up Construction KITT for Amiga 500.

Psi

First thing that comes to mind is an old PS1 memory card full of Xenogears saves right before each time Id shows up.

I might have a few old NES or SNES games packed away in the garage but I think I sold most if not all of them.

I've still got my ORIGINAL Zelda 1 save file. I've replayed it dozens of times, but I've never wanted to delete my 'original' file.

It's too nostalgic. I'll be sad when the battery dies one day.

Binabik15

Unless you count files on ancient hard drives on computers already dispplosed of, my Mario 64 from near Euro launch. Got it for my tenth birthday, my first gaming device. So it's 14 years old. Damn.

larvi

Rendezvous with Rama Apple IIe save disk from the mid 1980's. I'm sure I have older save disks in boxes somewhere if I dug around enough, the first Apple game I bought was Wizardry 1 in the early 80's. Unfortunately I don't have a quick way of knowing if they are still readable:

DSCN0508e.JPG

On my current Win7 PC I still have copies of most of my old Dos games too as everytime I've upgraded I've copied the folders to the new one. The first game I bought for my PC was AD&D Pool of Radiance sometime in 1989.

Satchel

Banned
Sonic the Hedgehog on Game Gear.

The Game Gear is the oldest console I have that I haven't sold and re-bought when I was older. Had my Game Gear since my 12th Birthday in 1992.

rCIZZLE

I really have no idea since most of the time I pick up an older game I start playing it where I left off. My best guess would be a platformer I rented on early ps1 when I had an abundance of memory cards but didn't actually buy games.

jcm

Rendezvous with Rama Apple IIe save disk from the mid 1980's. I'm sure I have older save disks in boxes somewhere if I dug around enough, the first Apple game I bought was Wizardry 1 in the early 80's. Unfortunately I don't have a quick way of knowing if they are still readable:

[IMG/]http://www.sammythieme.com/DSCN0508e.JPG[/IMG]

On my current Win7 PC I still have copies of most of my old Dos games too as everytime I've upgraded I've copied the folders to the new one. The first game I bought for my PC was AD&D Pool of Radiance sometime in 1989.

Nice. Did you use a hole punch to make that disk double-sided?

larvi

Nice. Did you use a hole punch to make that disk double-sided?

Not on that one, that's the standard factory notch. Now this one on the other hand :)

DSCN0511e.JPG

True double sided floppies were expensive back then. I've been a cheapass gamer for a long time.

Probably Pokemon Red or Silver. Red might be a bit newer than Silver, because someone deleted my file on me a few years after I started. I checked my Silver about a year ago, and surprisingly I didn't get the battery error I had heard so much about.

Top Bottom