• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Treasure's best game?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
the best is alien soldier, the true peak of treasures insanity and inventiveness

the worst is a tie between radiant silvergun and ikaruga

Voliko

Alien Soldier without a doubt. Cuts the in between bullshit to a few seconds and only throws well designed bosses at you. You really have to plan ahead with which weapons you choose at the beginning and when to upgrade which ones. The core mechanics are fast, unique, varied, and fun. Hovering, being able to walk on the ceiling, the invincible dash, the split second shield that can nullify certain projectiles, etc. It's a masterpiece. I think it's biggest flaw is that the final boss is too easy.

We need more devs like Treasure that push the limits of game design ;_;

s_mirage

Gunstar Heroes. It was a perfect balance of awesome blasting action, while still being one of the easiest games in its genre to pick up and play.

I've also got a soft spot for Bangai-o on the Dreamcast. The European English translation really is something else!

Baleoce

Gunstar Heroes

Gunstar Heroes. It was a perfect balance of awesome blasting action, while still being one of the easiest games in its genre to pick up and play.

I've also got a soft spot for Bangai-o on the Dreamcast. The European English translation really is something else!

And a kick-ass soundtrack to boot.

Sojiro

Hmm, I have to go with either Mischief Makers, Dynamite Headdy, or Gunstar Heroes personally, really hard to choose one of those three. Star Successor is pretty close too though.

Oh Shit, Treasure was responsible for Bangai-O? I did not remember that. Well hell, that really screws my picks up...I really really love Bangai-o.

Toss-up:
Radiant Silvergun, Gunstar Heroes, Sin & Punishment 2, Silhouette Mirage

Shout outs:
Alien Soldier, Gradius V, Ikaruga, Bangai-O

Damn near their entire catalog is amazing.

Ritzboof

i really love the original S&P for the n64. it as japan exclusive, but yknow, its still awesome. theres something about the visual style of that game that i really love. so many angles, and so much cool looking biomechanoid junk. i really feel like its one of the best looking games on the n64. the assets made up of a bunch of other assets that treasure is especially good with moved into 3D flawlessly with some extra sausage wieners on top. so slick and cool. ive never played star successor, though, and its hard for me to appreciate the visual style with the original as my benchmark

that aside, alien soldier and dynamite headdy will always have a place in my heart. i tried to get good at speedrunning alien soldier for the longest time, and yeah, its awesome and i should get back into it again. radiant silvergun rules, too, even if i suck at it and like einhander better. i never played much of gunstar heroes, but dammit i played it twice, and it deserves to be mentioned

wario world is a blast to play, as well. ive been a fan of wario world since i had it on the gamecube, and it only recently dawned on me that it was made by treasure. i was amazed, cuz i had the same thing happen with dynamite headdy; i vaguely remembered it from when i was like 3, and fast forward 80% of my life, i find out its made by treasure. these guys touched all of our hearts whether we know it or not

gaist crusher GOAT tho

edit: i almost forgot to mention stretch panic. its not that good, but theres nothing else in the world like it, and the gimmick of stretching things is so well executed and fun

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I've heard that some people left, which would be huge blow to such a tiny company.

I did a google search. The article links back to a NeoGAF thread from March this year.

From Niche Gamer:
In the podcast (via Giantbomb) Japanese localization company 8-4’s Mark Mcdonald and John Ricciardi said the developer is now essentially a licensing company, re-using their older games and IPs.

According to the 8-4 folks, the company’s president, Masato Maegawa, is “still around,” Treasure still exists and was always essentially run by Maegawa himself, meaning they’re not necessarily in trouble of closing their doors.

They speculate (Editor’s Note: this is pure speculation) that the developer’s latest outing, Gaist Crusher, didn’t perform well and furthered their decision to simply focus on licensing out their IPs for now, saying they could still resurface with a new game in the future.

Going off of this it looks like they are focusing on re-releasing their older games, but that a team could be put together to make a new game if need be. The thing is, I thought that was how they have been operating for a long time. They talked this in the "Iwata Asks" for S&P2.

Ikaruga has a purity to its design that really appeals to me. It's a complete experience in a way so few games manage, with the art design, story/setting, and game mechanics all feeding into each other. Art and story going together obviously isn't especially unusual, but to have the gameplay fit in as well is nearly unique. In Ikaruga there's a dystopic world wracked by some kind of corrupted religious expression, a twisted form of systematic dualism, and the only solution is for you the player to overcome this false dualism yourself, which is done entirely via the game's actual polarity-focused mechanics. It's not only a video game, it's also a religious ritual, a prayer or meditation which you participate in just by playing. What a brilliant work of art.

Oemenia

Banned
Ikaruga is certainly not one of their best, the game was a massie dissapointment to Treasure fans when it came out.

Somehow it managed to get a hardcore cred, but to SHMUP fans its a way to identify the poseurs.

Opa-Pa

Astroboy: Omega Factor - if you haven't played this, you should.

Astro-Boy-Omega-Factor-600x343.jpg

Yes.

Everyone needs to try this. You don't even need to be familiar with Astro Boy as the game has a made up story (although if you're a fan of Tezuka's works it'll be a treat because it's basically one big crossover).

That and Gunstar Heroes and Mischief Makers are my favorites. I have a ton of their games on my backlog tho, I should try Sin and Punishment next.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
My all time favorite would be a game made by Hideo Ueda before he left Konami to start Treasure.

Axelay!

Krejlooc

Banned
Ikaruga is certainly not one of their best, the game was a massie dissapointment to Treasure fans when it came out.

Somehow it managed to get a hardcore cred, but to SHMUP fans its a way to identify the poseurs.

Radiant silvergun is more fun than ikaruga

Galang

Banned
Glad S&P 2 was the answer. The game is absolutely perfect and the best in the genre imo. The only thing that could have made it even better for me was proper co-op

kasavin

Ikaruga has a transcendent quality for me that I think puts it in its own league among Treasure games and games in general.

Rival

Gold Member
I've had star successor sitting unopened on my shelf for at least two years. I ought to give it a try.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

I keep seeing this and i'm going to call Bullshit on it again for the Xth hundred time

For whatever reason there is a strong stench in the SHMUP community that wants to constantly drag down Treasure. I certainly don't recall many "treasure fans" at the time hating it but i do recall the same shitty trolls moaning about "Treasure think they are clever" and "it's not a shmup it's a puzzle game" etc etc. Hell, people were talking shit about it BEFORE it even came out because people already loved hating on Radiant Silvergun because... oh where do we start? it became the pin up for high priced imports and , of course, if you didn't buy it at the start you were some how "a poseur" and if you bought it and liked it you "didn't like shmups" and TRY A REAL SHMUP like Battle Garrega or (cave game here). Everyone is a poseur and only a certain troll set know the real truth of SHMUPAGE and RETROAGE. Wankers paradise. Long may it wallow in it's own stench.

Even Cave in the later end of their pomp were getting the exact same turds saying the exact same things because , for whatever reason, there's a poison that runs through SHMUPS and Retrogaming where people just can't help being arseholes. It's why i walked away from both scenes. Too many people WAY too far up their own arseholes.

Back on topic, Ikaruga is solid.

leroidys

Does anyone like the PS2 Silpheed that they worked on? Coincidentally just showed up from ebay today. Popping it in right now.

b3b0p

Just in case here is a reference list:

• Gunstar Heroes
  • McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure
  • Dynamite Headdy
  • YuYu Hakusho Makyoutoissen
  • Alien Soldier
  • Light Crusader
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Silhouette Mirage
  • Radiant Silvergun
  • Rakugaki Showtime
  • Bangai-O
  • GunBeat
  • Silpheed: The Lost Planet
  • Stretch Panic
  • Ikaruga
  • Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Bad Dream AKA: Scary Dreams
  • Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting!
  • Tiny Toon Adventures: Defenders of the Universe
  • Dragon Drive: D-Masters Shot
  • Astro Boy: Omega Factor
  • Gradius V
  • Advance Guardian Heroes
  • Gunstar Super Heroes
  • Bleach: The Blade of Fate
  • Bleach: Dark Souls
  • Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box
  • Bangai-O Spirits
  • Bleach: Versus Crusade
  • Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury
  • Radiant Silvergun
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Mischief Makers
  • Wario World
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
  • Gaist Crusher
  • Gaist Crusher God

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_(company)

ImNotRegret

Neo Member
So, I had this account for 2 years now and never posted anything. Why not start now when it´s concerning my favourite developers?

Ikaruga is the game that influenced my gaming habits the most. It´s just that it had a pretty big impact on me and I guess it´s a bit stupid, but for whatever reason it drew me in with it´s artstyle, the music, the story (as simple as it is),
and of course the gameplay. If you look at high level play you realize how well thought out it is and it is mesmerizing to watch... yeah,I know, that´s true for many shmups and I know that Ikaruga, for some reason, is not well liked in some shmup circles...
... but Ikaruga made me realise how much more games can be than just simple entertainment, it also made me realise that games can be art.
So yeah. Ikaruga is their best game, Followed by either of the 2 Sin & Punishments (both are pretty much perfection, but what do I know).

Regiruler

Gunstar Heroes

sevenforce.jpg

The rest of the game plays a lot differently. I hate that people keep posting this, even if it is a good fight. The rest of the starting stages are decent, but the game never gets any better.

S&P 2 is simply a better game (I would rate Gunstar over the original S&P though).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Oh man, this post is just so...man.

Poseurs. Referring to video games. It hurts.

Regiruler

1. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
2. Alien Soldier
3. Gradius V
4. Bangai-O Spirits <----
5. Ikaruga
6. Dynamite Headdy
7. Guardian Heroes
8. Gunstar Heroes
9. Miscief Makers (SHAKE SHAKE)
10. Astro Boy: Omega Factor

There's a tumor in your post

How anyone can like that mess of a sandbox is beyond me

Seik

Banned
Gunstar Heroes is my favorite Treasure game, though not necessarily their best.

I think their best game is Sin & Punishment 2, it truly is a masterpiece of gaming.

SOME-MIST

s&p star successor for sure

As for my favorite Treasure game, it's definitely Ikaruga. It's a great shooter that doesn't play like anything else on the market.
granted, it's not utilized in the exact same fashion, but great mahou daisakusen (dimahoo) predates ikaruga in its polarity mechanics.

Top Bottom