• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Treasure's best game?

FLAguy954

Astroboy: Omega Factor - if you haven't played this, you should.

Astro-Boy-Omega-Factor-600x343.jpg

Gunstar Heroes

sevenforce.jpg

Both of these win. Both are absolutely amazing games. Astro Boy in particular was a VERY pleasant surprise as I initially didn't expect much from it back then.

Soltype

Alien Soldier for sure, it's one of the most well designed games ever made.They weren't lying on the title screen, it's a real tour de force.In my opinion, it's the best game of the 16 bit era.

colonyoo

My favorite is probably the original N64 Sin and Punishment. 2 is more refined, but I like being able to finish the first one so quickly and have a huge soft spot for the first game's hilarious pacing. I sorta have more fun not being able to fly around as much as I want too, the groundedness of the gameplay is still pretty unique for that kind of rail shooter. Also, the airship raid stage is probably the best thing to come out of any shooter, period.

Second place probably goes specifically to the 3DS port of Gunstar Heroes because even if quick weapon/stance switching breaks the game, it makes it easier to just kinda casually run through some of the harder difficulties. Stance switching feels like it should have been in the game from the start, really.

Having looked at it for the first time recently, the biggest letdown for me is probably Silhouette Mirage. It's easily got some of Treasure's most beautiful and fun setpieces, but they're held back by game mechanics that do nothing but get in the way of actually fighting enemies while making you grind repeatedly.
47470ab151.gif

luka

Loves Robotech S1
yea right... compared to something like silhouette mirage?

you got me :)
ikaruga is a good time. not transcendent, or the best shooter ever as some crazies around here would claim, but it's decent enough.

rsg...i'd put it down at the bottom of the barrel with stuff like silhouette, easily. all the pretty cutscenes and cool music won't make me go near that dumpster fire of a scoring system. the best i can say about it is that it is stylish and functional...but it's definitely not fun

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
Since Treasure is pretty much done making games at this point (a damn shame it is). I find it necessary to go back through their history and look at their greatest accomplishments.

As for my answer? Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

big treasure fan, definition of a 7.2 that's a 9.4, fi you know what I mean.

BTW You have the right series, but wrong game. One of my few import games, but it was so good on the n64

iModem

Banned
Sin and Punishment 2 was literally the reason I got a Wii. So sad to see it failed, and may have even stopped future Treasure games from coming out. I like to view it as a magnum opus rather than a financial failure that ended a legend though.

jwillenn

Ikaruga is my favorite, but I own all of Treasure's masterpieces, plus some that were not.

And yeah, I always cite S&P2 (along with Trauma Center and some others) when trying to explain to fools (kidding) why a remodeled Wiimote & Chuk should be the standard NX (and everything else) controller.

edit:

I have Star Successor as well, but I haven't put in the time it deserves.

Tell me about it. I only did a standard run through the game when I was thirsty for the score attack from the moment the game was announced. I don't remember what was going on at the time that kept me from getting this going. Of all games that I really want to go back to for scoring, this is at the very top. I'm constantly reminding myself that I need to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ree--2H3xg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-AmvWkBTo

Soltype

Thanks for posting this. I'm a little dissapointed that they toned down the difficulty but to think they were only halfway done with the game is insane. I mean is has over 30 bosses already and it's all quality stuff

Yeah, it's nuts.We definitely need a sequel now.

Astroboy: Omega Factor - if you haven't played this, you should.

Astro-Boy-Omega-Factor-600x343.jpg

I honestly have a hard time choosing between this and S&P2.

But considering S&P2 should have made the entire industry go "Oh shit so THAT'S how you create a good wii control scheme!" I will give it the edge.

It's too bad that didn't happen.

Probably not their best overall but I liked the two Bleach fighting games they made for DS. Felt like a good use of the license and it played well and had good production values.

Sin and Punishment SS is my favorite though. I remember some of the bosses around the middle had you really paying attention to how you played. I remember the boss on the lake that could make copies/shadows of itself taking at least 20 tries. Overall the game had an exciting cinematic quality to it that was a joy to see unfold.

The Hermit

I think I only played to end the Astro Boy game.

I tried both S&P but I sucked terribly at them.

Can I still get them from eShop?

Edit: I just realized I have eShop gunstar héroes but never played it :p

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
#1 is totally alien soldier. Treasure made that with love. That's evident in the 2 minute intro - 68000 heart on fire, duh.

The game the wanted to be their opus? Guardian Heroes. No other game embodies the "soul" of Treasure - fast action, lots of words, sprites, and cheesy music. Treasure *wanted* GH to be their Mona Lisa. Their flawed masterpiece, as someone said earlier.

mrmickfran

I think I only played to end the Astro Boy game.

I tried both S&P but I sucked terribly at them.

Can I still get them from eShop?

Edit: I just realized I have eShop gunstar héroes but never played it :p
Both Sin & Punishment games are available on eShop.

Also, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING, PLAY GUNSTAR HEROES

Tain

Ikaruga is certainly not one of their best, the game was a massie dissapointment to Treasure fans when it came out.

Somehow it managed to get a hardcore cred, but to SHMUP fans its a way to identify the poseurs.

lmao yes "SHMUP poseurs" like EOJ and Tsuneki fucking Ikeda.

Get real.

Ra1den

This thread reminded me that I still haven't played star successor. Gonna buy that right now.

My vote goes to Gunstar Heroes for the amazing co-op experience. Bangaioh on dreamcast and Gradius V may be after that. I enjoyed those more than their more well known shmups, but of course those are amazing too.

With treasure I feel like you can make a case for almost any of their titles being their best, they are all so damn good.

Zomba13

HEEEEEELP MEEEEEEEE MARINAAAAAAA!

hqdefault.jpg

Gotta be Mischief Makers. *shake shake* Such a weird and unique platformer *shake shake* with weird characters and mechanics *shake shake* and some awesome bosses *shake shake* and that thing about getting gold crystals to get more time on the ending cutscene was a great incentive to really dig into levels *shake shake* also it looks super cool *shake shake* and has that weird olympic games/track and field segment *shake shake* and that cat!

Sakujou

Banned
ikaruga was my favourite game, but sin and punishment 1&2 easily take the cake.

sad that treasure hasnt released any games since then :(

radiant silvergun was also nuts. would have loved it to play it on saturn...

God Treasure made some excellent games back in the day. It would have to be Gunstar Heroes or Guardian Heroes for me. Like how the two games are linked as well.

Klart

Guardian Heroes

guardianheroes-600x337.jpg

I'll be honest, I don't know that many Treasure games. But this game is so close to beat'm up perfection, it's most def my choice.

GamerJM

Banned
It still to this day remains Gunstar Heroes from what I've played. I've yet to play a 2D scrolling action game that comes close to it tbh. Gunstar Super Heroes is honestly probably the next-best thing though.

I really need to more Treasure games though. From what I've played I'd tier their stuff:

Phenomenal:
Gunstar Heroes

Great:
Guardian Heroes
Gunstar Super Heroes

Fairly good but flawed:
Wario World
Bleach: Dark Souls
Ikaruga

Decent I guess:
(Not really a Treasure game but kinda sorta one) Code of Princess
Sin and Punishment

Bad:
Dynamite Headdy

cireza

1) Guardian Heroes
2) Gunstar Heroes
3) Gunstar Future Heroes
4) Radiant Silvergun
5) Ikaruga

So many masterpieces.

I played many other games from them that are, also, quite amazing. Games like Silhouette Mirage, Bangai-o, Yu Yu Hakusho on MegaDrive etc...

SnowTeeth

Banned
Gunstar Heroes is such a great little package. It's a visual and aural tour-de-force for the Mega Drive and it's such a fun game to play to boot, especially with two players. Hard mode is where it's at. It's a bonafide masterpiece.

I keep seeing this and i'm going to call Bullshit on it again for the Xth hundred time

For whatever reason there is a strong stench in the SHMUP community that wants to constantly drag down Treasure. I certainly don't recall many "treasure fans" at the time hating it but i do recall the same shitty trolls moaning about "Treasure think they are clever" and "it's not a shmup it's a puzzle game" etc etc. Hell, people were talking shit about it BEFORE it even came out because people already loved hating on Radiant Silvergun because... oh where do we start? it became the pin up for high priced imports and , of course, if you didn't buy it at the start you were some how "a poseur" and if you bought it and liked it you "didn't like shmups" and TRY A REAL SHMUP like Battle Garrega or (cave game here). Everyone is a poseur and only a certain troll set know the real truth of SHMUPAGE and RETROAGE. Wankers paradise. Long may it wallow in it's own stench.

Even Cave in the later end of their pomp were getting the exact same turds saying the exact same things because , for whatever reason, there's a poison that runs through SHMUPS and Retrogaming where people just can't help being arseholes. It's why i walked away from both scenes. Too many people WAY too far up their own arseholes.

Back on topic, Ikaruga is solid.

Thank you for posting this... A 'non poseur SHMUP fan' (god I hate the wording) is (IMHO) someone who's able to both appreciate the freshness and addictive nature of Ikaruga's design, and the absolute epicness and pure adrenalyne of a Battle Garrega/(insert cave shooter)...

jluedtke

It's so hard to name my favorite. I've played and loved most of their stuff, but the standouts for me are Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, Mischief Makers, Gunstar Heroes, and Guardian Heroes. But truthfully, I really enjoy every game I've ever played by them. Even Wario, despite its simplicity.

And the fact that I was able to appreciate the Bleach games without having ever watched the anime just shows how great of a developer they are (were?).

Naked Lunch

Radiant Silvergun will forever be Treasure's magnum opus. Just a stunning work in all areas with boss patterns that are in a class of their own. That fact that there are dozens of bosses at that high quality level is unreal. The blue crystal part of the running man last boss will be forever etched in my brain.

Sin and Punishment 1 is really close too. Very skilled gameplay that allows for improvisation. The whole game just has this flow - once you get in the zone, its hard to put down. Infinitely replayable.

Top Bottom