• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is Treasure's best game?

VariantX

Gunstar Heroes. I still want a true sequel to this. If i had millions of dollars and the ability to get all the devs together again I would make It happen.

parkinho

OP is on point. Star Successor is not only Treasure's best game, it's one of the best action games ever made.

It truly is incredible, one of my absolute favourite games that shows just how amazing the Wii remote and nunchuck combo could be when utilised properly.

Bangai-o Spirits (DS) is another standout title for me - bringing the game to an absolute standstill due to an excess of missiles on the screen never got old. Downloading user created levels through the console's microphone was also suitably ridiculous.

Bakkus

Probably S&P 2 but that has a lot to do with me sucking haaaaaard at both Ikaruga and Gradius V, the rest of their games are pretty much all on my to do list (alongside like 100+ other games, yikes)

I will when SEGA gets off their ass and releases it on the eShop :p

You don't own any GBA device, any DS device pre DSi, nor a GB Player for GameCube?

magnetic

Either OP's choice or Alien Soldier.

Alien Soldier feels like the culmination of 2D sidescrolling run 'n gun action, resulting in something that seems simple on a surface level but has such deep mechanics (especially for a controller with only three face buttons) and so many memorable encounters requiring the mastery of all of them. It's shame it didn't get much attention back in the day, because I do think it should be as remembered as fondly as Gunstar Heroes at the very least.

Alien Soldier is my choice as well. Screen filling sprites, intricate battle mechanics, fantastic bosses.

I tried to like Gunstar Heroes, but never got into it. It's great from a technical perspective, but I don't find it particularly engaging.

Ikaruga also has an incredible amount of polish!

leroidys

I love what an artistic and cohesive project Ikaruga is, but I've been on a PS2 kick lately, and I think Gradius V edges it out. Such an amazingly fun, tough, old school, modern STG.

Still need to play RS. I'll probably and up picking up a 360 just for that and Guardian Heroes.

Pejo

Gold Member
It's Guardian Heroes for me, without a doubt. It's my favorite beat-em-up of all time, with a ton of content.

xaviorq8

J5M9Ge5.jpg

More seriously though... tough to say. Guardian Heroes today, but the answer could change on another day!

mrmickfran

Probably S&P 2 but that has a lot to do with me sucking haaaaaard at both Ikaruga and Gradius V

OMG Same. I'm still stuck on like stage 3/4 on both games. Gradius V's second stage boss rush is nasty.

You don't own any GBA device, any DS device pre DSi, nor a GB Player for GameCube?

I have a DS-lite but its D-Pad is garbage, not in the mood to buy a GBA.

Resident Evil 4 is the best action game ever made.

1. Amazing and Clever Combat Mechanics? Check.

2. Lots of Unique Ways to Use that Combat without feeling like you're breaking the game? Check.

3. Incredibly Varied Encounter Design? Check.

4. Ashley? What's an Ashley?

5. Epic as Hell Upgrades? Check.

Yeah, I can roll with that.

Alien Soldier and Sin and Punishment: Star Successor are godlike. From what I've played of Treasure's library, nothing else comes close.

Alien Soldier has an issue where you kinda need to die to progress at times because the boss could be immune to what tools you have on hand. The Core Mechanics are pretty sweet and the boss fights themselves are pretty cool (Especially on Superhard) but that one feature stings a bit and is something that Gunstar Heroes definitely doesn't suffer from.

It definitely feels bad if you end up in a situation like that, but you can avoid it by not picking a lineup of weapons that can run into a roadblock like that. Not something you can know the very first time you play the game, but you learn quickly enough that some weapons aren't as effective against all enemy types.

Codeblue

Star Successor is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'd have to go with that. Sprsk hit the nail on the head with that description, so I don't have much to add.

Omega Factor is also incredible though. It's a really fun, dense, love letter to a creator and all of his characters, and it pulls it off perfectly.

Krejlooc

Banned
Alien soldier is a game meant to be played multiple times anyways. Once you are able to beat the game without dying, it becomes an entirely different kind of score attack game.

My favorite is Ikaruga, but I'm a big fan of the sort of thing that happens at the end of that game. Mischief Makers was pretty ace, Gradius V was pretty damn awesome, too.

Ikaruga's music iswhat makes it better than Radiant Silvergun and Gradius V.

OT but I always wondered what that schmup Treasure was working on looked like that was supposed to be a 360 exclusive before MS pulled the funding on it ;_;

Supposedly it was over halfway through development before MS gave up on the Japanese market.

Alien soldier is a game meant to be played multiple times anyways. Once you are able to beat the game without dying, it becomes an entirely different kind of score attack game.

Indeed, and it's freaking fantastic at that. Love Treasure's wacky and fun scoring systems.

Tain

Probably a close call between Ikaruga and Alien Soldier. These games are masterpieces, even if Ikaruga was the subject of such insufferable grandstanding for a decade.

Gradius V is really good with a few small flaws. Both Sin & Punishment games are dope but I prefer arcade pacing and think they're a little too slow? But I haven't dug into Hard modes yet, and it's been a few years. Radiant Silvergun is an aesthetic triumph and maybe a great game, but I've talked about my distaste for power-ups being tied to score. It's neat, but the scoring doesn't seem particularly optional, and the dog hunts aren't very fun to me.

The Bangai-O series is solid, but I'm not a huge fan of the tiny stages structure and things get a little too samey as the series progresses. I think Gunstar Heroes is a pretty mediocre game: great aesthetics, lame stages, some cool bosses. I don't like Guardian Heroes much, either, with the guard mechanic and skeleton knight partner.

I find Treasure to be... well, I can't deny their top games, but they have such a hilariously overblown reputation. I don't think I'd put them on a top ten list of 2D action game developers.

bede-x

I'm gonna go with the unpopular choice of Mischief Makers, though I fully understand why someone would say Gunstar Heroes or Radiant Silvergun instead.

MIschief Makers is great fun in a regular playthrough, but transforms into something else when you start going for S ranks, which at times can seem almost impossible, but is very achievable with practice.

gunstarhero

◕‿◕ Gunstar Heroes of course. Silhouette Mirage in 2nd, Guardian and Alien Soilder a close third.

Edit: forgot about Silhouette Mirage - LOVED that game on Saturn.

daemonic

Banned
I've only played Ikaruga and Sin and Punishment 2 but I can safely say that both are phenomenal games. S&P2 blew me away, especially not knowing much about it before starting. What an experience.

Peltz

Damn... This is such a tough question. They really pushed every aspect of game design as far as it would go. Each one of their best games have totally unconventional controls that stretch the player to master very interesting mechanics with hypnotic music, visuals and enemy patterns that are pretty much unrivaled in videogames. They're one of my favorite developers ever.

If pressed to select only one of their games as my favorite, I'd probably have to choose....this one:

bangaio-dc.jpg

I got a soft-spot in my heart for Astro Boy: Omega Factor.

That game is so fucking legit, but I think being on the GBA + franchise that was relatively unknown outside Japan might've caused a lot of people to overlook it.

orborborb

Light Crusader maybe, but mostly just because of the soundtrack

I also like Radiant Silvergun, Wario World, Ikaruga, Gradius V, and both Sin and Punishments pretty well

didn't like Gunstar Heroes or Dynamite Headdy or Stretch Panic or Alien Soldier or Bangai-O

Gunstar Heroes. They peaked early for me. I submit that the game only had a single flaw: the inability to switch between free and fixed fire a la later Contra games. I would love a rom hack to add that.

Second maybe Astro Boy, though I find that harder to return to due to its length and level-up system.

Edit: Oh yeah, Gradius V is pretty great too.

Since I've been replaying Radiant Silvergun and going through a lot of Treasure games, my list goes as follows:

1. Sin and Punishment Star Successor
2. Ikaruga
3. Gunstar Heroes Hard Mode
4. Gradius V
5. Guardian Heroes
6. Radiant Silvergun
7. Sin and Punishment
8. Alien Soldier
9. Astro Boy: Omega Factor
10. Bangai - O

Move gradius v to number one and swap ikaruga with radiant and you have my list

1. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
2. Alien Soldier
3. Gradius V
4. Bangai-O Spirits
5. Ikaruga
6. Dynamite Headdy
7. Guardian Heroes
8. Gunstar Heroes
9. Miscief Makers (SHAKE SHAKE)
10. Astro Boy: Omega Factor

Damn... This is such a tough question. They really pushed every aspect of game design as far as it would go. Each one of their best games have totally unconventional controls that stretch the player to master very interesting mechanics with hypnotic music, visuals and enemy patterns that are pretty much unrivaled in videogames. They're one of my favorite developers ever.

If pressed to select only one of their games as my favorite, I'd probably have to choose....this one:

bangaio-dc.jpg

Finally! I'm with you man, Bangai-O is a masterpiece.

Treasure is my favorite developer of all time though, so it's a tough choice.

mrmickfran

So, I was thinking about getting a 360 just so i could finally play the 360 Treasure titles as well as a few other games.

Worth it?

L Thammy

Gaist Crusher

...Seriously though. If it isn't Sin & Punishment 2, I suspect that it's Guardian Heroes, which I haven't played.
I have the strongest personal affections for Bangai-O and the Bleach DS games though. I haven't even watched a minute of Bleach.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
What happened to Treasure? They made some of my favorite games and I was hoping to see something from them, but they seem to have fallen off.

As far as the topic goes, I found out about them early in the Gamecube era. S&P is the only import game I own and one of the reasons I still have my N64 hooked up. Also, the Gamecube along with the Gameboy Player is my favorite Nintendo generation. Combined, they had a fantastic library of what I consider to be some of the best 2D and 3D games ever made. Treasure was a big part of that. Now I'm wax nostalgic thinking about. Their name really is fitting isn't it? My favorite games by them are:

Sin and Punishment (N64)
Ikaruga (GC)
Gunstar Super Heroes (GBA)
Astroboy (GBA)
Gradius V (PS2)
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (Wii)

Top Bottom