• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is up with strangers telling people to smile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzy

Banned
I get this all the time because I have an angry resting face that I got from my mom. I also get alot of "nice pants" in Chelsea. I can't imagine a situation where I'd actually get worked up about it.

More power to you if you do. Must suck.

The assumptions are a bit weird though. People aren't demanding anything of you. They're either trying to have sex with you or brighten your day. But demanding you change your face to please them? Where did this narrative come from?

They may as well be saying "did it hurt?".
We just had a poster say he does it to please himself but okay.

nZmCqhV.jpg

damn was definately going to post this!!!

Infinite

I get this all the time because I have an angry resting face that I got from my mom. I also get alot of "nice pants" in Chelsea. I can't imagine a situation where I'd actually get worked up about it.

The assumptions are a bit weird though. People aren't demanding anything of you. They're either trying to have sex with you or brighten your day. But demanding you change your face to please them? Where did this narrative come from?

I mean it is a demand when presented in that fashion. No one is obligated to smile for you

way more

This girl told me that in a 8 am, MTWThF class. I steamed about it all day and even told my friends who agreed, what a bitch! Anyway, cut to a semester later and I think, Maybe she was right, I should smile more. I literally had to practice it in the mirror but I learned to imitate Tom Cruise's grill right down to the laugh. I ran into that same girl on campus, smiled and that's all it took and soon we were dating.

She was it ROTC and her uniform was so sexy.

Alucrid

Banned
Some of y'all just seem unpleasant. I mean you guys are talking about how it's selfish to want people to be happy. It's equally as selfish to be in a bad mood and bring others dowm with you.

Some of y'all are putting way to much thought into this. Way more than people intended.

I, for one, have never been told by a stranger to smile l, only relatives and close relations. After reading through this thread, I no longer wonder why.

It's selfish to tell others to be happy.

Miguel81

It's rude + smiling all the time = pre-mature nasolabial fold. Only friends and family should get to say those things, but modern society IS an asshole cesspool.

terrible

Banned
Seems pretty rude to tell a stranger to smile. If someone random told me to smile I'd probably call them out on it. What an awkward thing to say to someone you don't know.

How in hells bells are they brightening my day?

.GqueB.

Banned
We just had a poster say he does it to please himself but okay.
I read those posts and his intentions don't seem all that clear to be honest. He starts of by saying it pleases him which is weird but ends with it pleases him to see people happy which is fine. But again, the post was kind of unclear. But I don't think he said "I make people smile only to please myself".

Street harassment is a very real thing and I witness it first hand pretty often in my neighborhood. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Whatever. But there has been some weird narrative applied to the whole "smile" thing that just seems a bit intense.

It's one of those situations where the offender may not know they're offending so perhaps the situation needs a lighter touch. "Demand", "selfish", and "creep" are thrown around a bit too much. This isn't something I'd personally do but I can see why someone would. I don't think they're being malicious about it is all I'm saying.

How in hells bells are they brightening my day?
Well they aren't. But maybe they have in the past? Maybe they think they are? I don't know. I just feel like, again, there's a pretty intensely negative narrative being applied to something that's generally pretty lighthearted. If not rather corny.

I was at work one day and we were getting slammed hard. Lots of logistical problems coupled with high traffic. Not to mention it was unbearably hot. My coworker asked if we were almost finished with the rush.

I gave an exasperated laugh and frowned. Some old lady saw that and got on my case about how I need to take pride in my work or some shit.

Well they aren't. But maybe they have in the past? Maybe they think they are? I don't know. I just feel like, again, there's a pretty intensely negative narrative being applied to something that's generally pretty lighthearted. If not rather corny.

Hey maybe you should actually I dunno maybe believe the women here that tell you the type of guy who say it to them and how they're coming off, instead of just assuming we're being hyperbolic and negative.

It would kill some of y'all to be empathetic to the fact that we are constantly infantilized or belittled by jerks and expected to conform to lame standards, like being fucking perky, lest we are some "uptight bitch."

.GqueB.

Banned
Hey maybe you should actually I dunno maybe believe the women here that tell you the type of guy who say it to them and how they're coming off, instead of just assuming we're being hyperbolic and negative.

It would kill some of y'all to be empathetic to the fact that we are constantly infantilized or belittled by jerks and expected to conform to lame standards, like being fucking perky, lest we are some "uptight bitch."
Fair enough.

Volimar

An uptight bitch? You? Nawww

:p

I really feel for the ladies on GAF in some of these topics. I remember you and Fiction bringing the truth bombs in another thread. It's gotta feel like shooting spitwads at a tank sometimes.

Wazzy

Banned
I read those posts and his intentions don't seem all that clear to be honest. He starts of by saying it pleases him which is weird but ends with it pleases him to see people happy which is fine. But again, the post was kind of unclear. But I don't think he said "I make people smile only to please myself".

Street harassment is a very real thing and I witness it first hand pretty often in my neighborhood. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Whatever. But there has been some weird narrative applied to the whole "smile" thing that just seems a bit intense.

It's one of those situations where the offender may not know they're offending so perhaps the situation needs a lighter touch. "Demand", "selfish", and "creep" are thrown around a bit too much. This isn't something I'd personally do but I can see why someone would. I don't think they're being malicious about it is all I'm saying.
He likes seeing girls smile so he asks them to smile. You really can't see how that's doing something to please yourself?

And sorry but pretty much every person that has done it to me, friends or people I know has been a man clearly trying to use it as a conversation starter to hit on us.

They don't care about how I feel. If they did, they would ask me how my day was or actually try cheering me up with positive comments like compliments or humour rather than demanding I do something to please them.

IconGrist

I didn't, because I don't.

It's not about me. It's not even about making you "happy". I'm not exactly sure why that term is being thrown around. I'm not looking to make the person happy. I just want them to have a brief moment of not being in a shitty mood or feeling like shit. It helps.

And to clarify, I can tell the difference between that and a stern face because the person is focused on/busy with something else. As a rule I generally leave someone like that alone as it's actually disruptive and can mess them up.

He likes seeing girls smile so he asks them to smile. You really can't see how that's doing something to please yourself?

And sorry but pretty much every person that has done it to me, friends or people I know has been a man clearly trying to use it as a conversation starter to hit on us.

They don't care about how I feel. If they did, they would ask me how my day was or actually try cheering me up with positive comments like compliments or humour rather than demanding I do something to please them.

I said "mostly" women. It's not always women. I've never once tried it to hit on someone.

And I do care. If I didn't I wouldn't bother trying in the first place.

The key here is the "I" part. I can't speak for the people who have done it to you and failed miserably. I honestly sympathize with you because I know how angry it can make someone. I don't blame you for automatically dismissing my process as "just another guy trying to get into a girl's pants". I take no offense to your comments.

An uptight bitch? You? Nawww

:p

I really feel for the ladies on GAF in some of these topics. I remember you and Fiction bringing the truth bombs in another thread. It's gotta feel like shooting spitwads at a tank sometimes.

All I know is I bus to work, I get dropped off 3 blocks away, and the street it's on is so notoriously awful for street harassment, I will get hollered at in those 3 blocks, or propositioned, or yelled at from moving vehicles. And it's just not a fucking exaggeration what women have to deal with. Yet it's pulling teeth on this site about this shit every fucking time.

GorillaJu

Person in good mood feels like grumpy looking person is cramping their style.

Understandable. Still weird, but there are a few million worse things a random stranger could say to you.

Actually, thinking about it more, it's kind of a lot rude rather than just a little. It's like you're making an emotional demand of this person you've never met. It seems like kind of a Disney mentality to tell them to smile and suddenly expect their gray skies to clear up as they look up with a, "Hey! Thanks mister! Smiling! You're right, this feels wonderful!" As they click their heels and continue on their day. And yes frowning creates wrinkles, endorphins are released, yadda, yadda. But in reality someone's problems won't suddenly go away with just a suggestion if they have problems at all and don't just have a grim countenance. And really why is it any of my business whether some stranger is frowning or neutral or whatever? It shouldn't even be something you say to a friend. I think if they came in with a frown you'd both get a lot more out of just asking how they're feeling today, if they're ok, etc. rather than just saying, "Hey! Smile!".

Rootbeer

Banned
Unfortunately I'm one of those people who's default face kinda looks like a frown (it's a curse), so I get told this now and again. It's really infuriating and offensive since it's basically just how I look all the time.

Occasionally on the street I'll encounter panhandlers and they'll say things like "can I have a smile? smiles don't cost a thing."

Sorry but, they do. I'll smile for $5, until then stop asking.

.GqueB.

Banned

He really didn't say that.

But I get it. As I said, street harassment is shitty. I just wanted to get some clarity on why the narrative got so negative about the "smile" thing. But it seems it's more about the presentation than anything else. "Consider the source" as they say.

But I get it. As I said, street harassment is shitty. I just wanted to get some clarity on why the narrative got so negative about the "smile" thing. But it seems it's more about the presentation than anything else. "Consider the source" as they say.

It's the general idea we exist purely for someone else's entertainment or viewing pleasure. And the frowning isn't up to their "standards." That's why people are saying "fuck off." Because they don't exist to make someone else happy.

All I know is I bus to work, I get dropped off 3 blocks away, and the street it's on is so notoriously awful for street harassment, I will get hollered at in those 3 blocks, or propositioned, or yelled at from moving vehicles. And it's just not a fucking exaggeration what women have to deal with. Yet it's pulling teeth on this site about this shit every fucking time.

It's okay, Devo, we're just negative people in general and are looking for reasons to be offended. We should instead just ignore all the things that bother, take the compliment, and smile!

Yes, it is often very frustrating here to talk about such issues, because a lot of people are totally blind to them. You might not see a problem with being told to smile by a stranger because you don't have that happen to you multiple times a day.

Wazzy

Banned
I said "mostly" women. It's not always women. I've never once tried it to hit on someone.

And I do care. If I didn't I wouldn't bother trying in the first place.

The key here is the "I" part. I can't speak for the people who have done it to you and failed miserably. I honestly sympathize with you because I know how angry it can make someone. I don't blame you for automatically dismissing my process as "just another guy trying to get into a girl's pants". I take no offense to your comments.

Women receive this the most from men trying to hit on them and you wonder why saying "mostly women" makes your post sound even more like it's to please yourself?

We're telling you right now that if you want to cheer someone up and see them smile, find actual productive ways to do it rather than telling them to.

Jokes or compliments are great. Asking someone how they're doing is great.

Telling them to do something isn't.

I'm the bad guy I guess. I tell people (mostly women) to smile. I love seeing smiles. I mean, I know life is fuckin' hard on most and the last thing they really want to do is smile but one genuine smile can easily add a good note to an otherwise shitty day. I like to provide a reason to smile.

I think it's mainly because I used to be the guy who never smiled.

Hate me if you wish, GAF, but l hope you at least have a smile about it.

I can't stand it when people tell me to smile. Thankfully it doesn't happen often. I usually give them a quizzical "really?" look instead, which seems to get the point across.

Most of the time I get it in either the form of 'Aw, you'd be prettier if you smiled!' or the whole trying to hit on you thing and your not having it so apparently you must smile to make them feel better.

Yep, this sounds exactly like my wife's stories of her clubbing days. If she wasn't dancing and was standing by the bar on her own, some dickhead would inevitably come over to her, tell her to "cheer up" and lay a few hammy lines on her. After making clear her complete disinterest, the guy would get pissy and tell her to not be so cold, rude, bitchy, whatever.

You know, because it's her job to make him feel good for making such a pathetic attempt to "get to know her"
"get in her pants"

Rootbeer

Banned

As a guy, and growing up in a house with a lot of women, I've always felt like I had a lot of appreciation and understanding for these sorts of things -- but in truth, there's plenty I just don't understand because I'm not in those shoes.

Good example... a female co-worker of mine is constantly mentioning how guys are coming into our job, by just randomly walking by and seeing her inside, then HITTING on her and trying to get her to hook up. Suffice to say, that never happens to me there, but for her, it's a constant ordeal that she is fending off and it must be really exhausting.

Guys, if you're doing this fucking stop!

Yeah it does feel like a command and it really is unnerving. I always smile as well when it happens, and later look back and wish I would have said something smart or witty in reply. I never do though. :/

It shouldn't be. People should be embracing their emotions, not acting like they don't exist. The better to thing to say would be something like "do you want to talk about it?" or "can I do anything to help?". Cheer up is a selfish thing to say, it gives the impression that the person is wanting you to change your mood for their benefit. If all you have to add is "cheer up" then maybe it's just better to say nothing at all.

Yeah, it's almost ironic how I was actually just zoning out and feeling neutral when that guy told me to smile, and how later I got actually angry with myself because I did smile.

In a way, the "smile" command actually worsened my day. Heh.

.GqueB.

Banned
He's spent the better part of the last page explaining himself and he seems confused and unclear on how his actions are affecting other people. But he may learn something here which is good. I doubt he'll stop since he sees so much success but you're likely making him more aware.

It's the general idea we exist purely for someone else's entertainment or viewing pleasure. And the frowning isn't up to their "standards." That's why people are saying "fuck off." Because they don't exist to make someone else happy.
Yea I get it.

IconGrist

Women receive this the most from men trying to hit on them and you wonder why saying "mostly women" makes your post sound even more like it's to please yourself?

We're telling you right now that if you want to cheer someone up and see them smile, find actual productive ways to do it rather than telling them to.

Jokes or compliments are great. Asking someone how they're doing is great.

Telling them to do something isn't.

I do find actual productive ways to go about it. That's the only way it can work. I've said at least three times now that I don't just walk up, demand a smile, and walk away. At least three times. You're ignoring them for some reason and instead focusing on what was a light-hearted entry post of mine into this topic. This is what my 5th post here at this point? 6th? I've continually elaborated further with just about every post since.

What you have experienced is not what I'm actually doing. I can't really convince you of that since we will likely never meet so there's not really a point in arguing about it.

He's spent the better part of the last page explaining himself and he seems confused and unclear on how his actions are affecting other people. But he may learn something here which is good. I doubt he'll stop since he sees so much success but you're likely making him more aware.

Yea I get it.

No, I am not confused or unclear on how my actions are affecting other people. This isn't a new thing for me. I'm very aware of just how wrong it can go because I've seen it happen and I've had to carry that responsibility.

Wazzy

Banned
I do find actual productive ways to go about it. That's the only way it can work. I've said at least three times now that I don't just walk up, demand a smile, and walk away. At least three times. You're ignoring them for some reason and instead focusing on what was a light-hearted entry post of mine into this topic. This is what my 5th post here at this point? 6th? I've continually elaborated further with just about every post since.

What you have experienced is not what I'm actually doing. I can't really convince you of that since we will likely never meet so there's not really a point in arguing about it.

You're not understanding my point.

Cut the smile part out. That's it. Doing those things will make someone smile. I'm not saying you don't do any of those. I'm saying just do those.

Juice

1) don't tell other people how they should feel. Especially strangers.

2) women get this shit a lot from creepo men with lines like "you'd be so much more beautiful if you smiled." Which, (a) not her job to look beautiful and (b) creepily paternalistic.

rjinaz

I was at work one day and we were getting slammed hard. Lots of logistical problems coupled with high traffic. Not to mention it was unbearably hot. My coworker asked if we were almost finished with the rush.

I gave an exasperated laugh and frowned. Some old lady saw that and got on my case about how I need to take pride in my work or some shit.

Kind of the same thing happened to me, it's probably why I'm so bitter about it. I was working really hard and getting slammed. I wasn't sad or mad, but smiling was the last thing on my mind at that moment, I just wanted to get food out to people asap. A customer approaches me and says "you really should smile more". I'm thinking, "whatever lady I'm a bit busy at the moment getting your order" but I brush it off, say I'm sorry and smile. Well my manager heard this customer and then later that day I'm getting a lecture about smiling at customers. I feel so bad for people that work in the fast-food industry as I once did. It's tough and you get no respect at all.

besada

Banned
It's obnoxious as fuck. I've only occasionally experienced it, but my wife, by virtue of being a woman, has to put up with it all the time.

The last time it happened to me, I was at one of the worst points in my life, drifting through a supermarket, a step from tears, just trying to keep a grip, and some jackass pops out and says, "Smile, buddy!"

I told him to get fucked. Hey, buddy, it's all I can do to keep this mood disorder from spiraling into chaos so I'm laughing, crying, and shouting at the same time. I don't need some outside force trying to stick a crank in my head and manipulate my mood so THEY can feel better. Because it's not about me, it's about some jackass who thinks he's spreading love and joy by vomiting up platitudes to people whose life story he is completely unaccquainted with. If you get off on attempting to manipulate other people's moods, go stand in front of a mirror and do it until your gums bleed, but leave me out of it. Have a kid, buy a fucking puppy, rent a stage and tell happy good time stories to the kiddies, but leave strangers alone, you dick. Life can be hard enough for some people, without random assholes demanding they alter their mood for a three second encounter.

This always annoyed me. I used to just give a half-hearted smile to guys who said this just to make them go away, but nowadays I just tell them that if my natural countenance is so unpleasant for them they should look away and leave me alone. Seems to work.

It's obnoxious as fuck. I've only occasionally experienced it, but my wife, by virtue of being a woman, has to put up with it all the time.

The last time it happened to me, I was at one of the worst points in my life, drifting through a supermarket, a step from tears, just trying to keep a grip, and some jackass pops out and says, "Smile, buddy!"

I told him to get fucked. Hey, buddy, it's all I can do to keep this mood disorder from spiraling into chaos so I'm laughing, crying, and shouting at the same time. I don't need some outside force trying to stick a crank in my head and manipulate my mood so THEY can feel better. Because it's not about me, it's about some jackass who thinks he's spreading love and joy by vomiting up platitudes to people whose life story he is completely unaccquainted with. If you get off on attempting to manipulate other people's moods, go stand in front of a mirror and do it until your gums bleed, but leave me out of it. Have a kid, buy a fucking puppy, rent a stage and tell happy good time stories to the kiddies, but leave strangers alone, you dick. Life can be hard enough for some people, without random assholes demanding they alter their mood for a three second encounter.

/hug

Damn dude, I've been there. Usually I am just in 'intense zoning out/thinking' mode when I get told to smile, but I've been in the 'struggling not to cry' mode too and getting it then is so fucking awful. It immediately triggered the tears to flow and I have to leave. The guy even called out all baffled 'Hey, what'd I say?' I fucking hate it. Sorry it happened to you.

daffy

Banned

Did you really tell him to get fucked?

besada

Banned
Did you really tell him to get fucked?
I did.
/hug

Damn dude, I've been there. Usually I am just in 'intense zoning out/thinking' mode when I get told to smile, but I've been in the 'struggling not to cry' mode too and getting it then is so fucking awful. It immediately triggered the tears to flow and I have to leave. The guy even called out all baffled 'Hey, what'd I say?' I fucking hate it. Sorry it happened to you.

He certainly picked the wrong day and wrong person. My wife gets it all the time. Her resting face isn't bitchy, but looks a little sad. She hates it, but she's afraid if she says anything there will be a problem. And no one ever does it to her when I'm there.

Wazzy

Banned

Yasssss. I wish I could do this but it mainly happens at work and I'll get fired if I do.
I do my best. I really do, Wazzy.

Well as long as you're trying. :p

IconGrist

Like I said earlier... time and a place. A lot of the people who try, even if they are genuine, are ignorant of what that person may actually be going through and he/she may actually make things worse. I'm sorry that happened to you. Truly.

I'm not always smiling so I hope I didn't come across as some arrogant prick who is just smiling 24/7. I'm married, got two kids, bills out the ass, nicotine addiction, migraines, aches from two Iraq tours no one gives a shit about and a general distaste for incompetence that seems to be plaguing my life the last few years in ways I can't control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom