• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite video game of all time?

antitrop

My Top 5, I guess would be:

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Chrono Trigger
3. EarthBound
4. StarCraft: Brood War
5. Counter-Strike

Persona 3: FES

I had some extra money on PSN last summer and since I had only heard good things about it, I decided to give it a shot. Needless to say, I fell in love with it almost instantly. Everything about it; the music, characters, story, and battle system was amazing. It was also the first and only game that has actually made me cry. All in all it was the greatest impulse buy of my gaming career.

NIN90

Probably something between:

Baldur's Gate 2
Final Fantasy 7 (fuck you internet)
Bayonetta
TimeSplitters 2
Resident Evil 4
MGS 1 and 3

FirewalkR

Deus_Ex_Cover.jpg

If I can count it as one game, it would have to be Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Sonic 2 was my first videogame ever but Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the one I put the most time into. I explored every level like a hawk, discovered every secret I could, did almost everything I could in the debug mode...only thing I never did was that bloody level select code for Sonic 3...that's just insane!

The McDonalds promotion for Sonic 3 was just the start of my hype and having Sonic and Knuckles as an add on, pushed it over the edge.

nib95

Banned
My top 10 in order (I think lol).

image.jpg

2. Half Life 2 / Counter Strike Source
3. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Uncharted 2
5. Resident Evil 4
6. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
7. Metal gear Solid
8. Super Mario 64
9. Halo
10. Gran Turismo 3: A Spec

Like others have said choosing just one may be too difficult. Here are the easiest games for me to include.

Metroid Prime is the most visually stunning and moody world I've ever had the pleasure to explore and is crafted in a way that pushes you to explore without requiring abstract concepts to move forward. Its a very lonely experience with little direction and I think that is one of the reasons it can be so gripping.

Majora's Mask has rocketed to the forefront of my most favorite titles ever over the last 6 months. The time mechanic really appears daunting at first but the game gives the player numerous ways to battle this limit from songs that times passing, ability to travel to key areas instantly, and many methods of fast land travel and even fast water travel. The content is evenly split between 4 large and well designed multi-room dungeons including their excellent prologues and a myriad of side content. Its a twisted world that manages to portray very human methods of grief and coping in dire situations. I can't think of another game where I was so interested in just to engage with characters and hear what they were thinking and feeling. I also want to mention that Majora's Mask has some of the best and most haunting melodies in the series; I don't think they get enough attention.

The Souls Series pulls me in with its dark moody visuals and atmosphere but where it really shines is in its world layout and gameplay design. Few games so constantly and consistently manage to make you feel like "If I can only push a bit farther, it'll be worth it." and few games can make you teeter between excitement and anxiousness of what may lie ahead.

Making posts like this makes me wonder if games I'll love this much are sitting in my backlog. Majora's Mask is also the standout example of why I don't tend to sell games even if I'm not into them at first. I mean I probably first tried Majora's Mask more than 8 years ago before returning recently.

Also thanks OP. I haven't watched the Melee opening in awhile.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Literally a much better story than the latest movie.

ditto, mate. I remember rumours circulating that the fourth movie woulda been based on FOA's story. And we got stupid crystal skulls noone knows about and absurd fridge scenes instead. Sigh

Olly88

If I HAD to pick one then I'd probably go with Yoshi's Island. It's the one that automatically comes to mind anytime I have to think of a single favourite game. I just love pretty much everything about it.

yisland_box0tsn5.jpg

I still have the case for Melee but the game I don't know what happened to it. It's literally the ONLY gamecube case I still have around.

There's been lots of games brought up that shame me because I haven't finished or started them at all. I think my gamer card is going to have some points taken off of it :p.

Setre

Can't decide between Kirby's Adventure and Crusader Kings II. Since I've put 400 hours into CKII that probably wins.

ARK322

Neo Member
My instinctive first responses to this question are always Half-Life (both 1&2), along with Metal Gear Solid 2. If I stopped to really consider and rank all the incredible games I've played, my brain would probably explode, so I'll just stick with those three.

Macmanus

xhBuGfz.gif

Usually when this subject comes up, I start thinking about RPGs, and that's natural considering my tastes, but honestly, Tetris Attack is an incredible game that I've been able to return to over and over again for a very long time, and it always pleases and relaxes me like no other game can.

I dated a girl who played this game exclusively and was incredibly good at it. I asked her how she became so good; she answered with simply "meth."

famfrit

The most played game is pOKEMON with more than 900 hours.

I dont have only one favorite, but you can put Persona , Shadow of Colossus or Suikoden II int that place without error.

antitrop

I dated a girl who played this game exclusively and was incredibly good at it. I asked her how she became so good; she answered with simply "meth."
Man, who needs meth when you're 12 years old and have unlimited free time?

I was Godlike at Tetris Attack.

KU_

Tough to decide, but I'll probably say Half Life 2. Replayed it so many times. I was just so hyped for it, and was still amazed at it despite all the delays.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
San Andreas and then it's a tie between Deus Ex and Mafia 1. I love all those games to death for the open elements. I still replay all of them on a fairly regular basis.

EMT0

Banned
Chronologically, it went:

2001-2004: Super Smash Bros. Melee(My childhood)
2005: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker(The last of the sunshine of youth)
2006-2009: Runescape(I want to smack the fuck out of myself)
2009-2011: Civilization IV(But I only played Civ and Paradox games)
2012: Dark Souls(My good taste returns and I play vidya games once more)

If I were to rate my favorite games NOW...

1. Civilization IV(Game of the FOREVER)
2. Dark Souls
3. Earthbound
4. Super Smash Bros. Melee
5. LOZ: The Wind Waker

Other honorable mentions would be Ratchet and Clank 3, Paradox games, Mario Kart: Double Dash, the Pokemon franchise, The Witcher, and Star Wars: Battlefront I and II

Zia

Fez.
Or Rez HD.
Or Team Fortress 2.
Or Limbo.
Or Ico.
Or Shadow of the Colossus.
Or Braid.
Or Bastion.
Or Portal.
Or Pac-Man: Championship Edition.
Or...