• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Q/P ratio? Is it improving or regressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been quoted 1495 times and posted 3,701 times. So, just shy of 50% Q/P ratio.

Almost all the times times I can recall being quoted heavily was when I had an opinion unpopular to a vocal group within in a thread -- disliking Skyler from Breaking Bad, disagreeing that "artpop" is really all that artistic, preferring Bernie Sanders to Hillary Clinton, and blaming landlords and hyper-inflationary capitalism for sky-high SF rent instead of tech workers.

I did get quoted a lot by people who agreed when I said that the period from 88-96 (Straight Outta Compton thru the deaths of Biggie and Tupac) was my favorite era of rap. But I think it's people's tendency to speak up when they disagree more than when they agree. A lot of reasonable posts just go by and people are like "yep" without saying too much. That's how I read, too.

The only real way to judge post quality is actual quality metrics. We could be doing thumbs up/thumbs down ratings for posts. But, then we'd be reddit. Gamifying NeoGAF seems like a natural enough impulse but I'm glad we don't.

MLCodest

I've been on GAF for over 4 years now but mostly lurk and respond to news/events that are happening when I do talk.

My Q/P score is ~.21 right now but I'm expecting it to go up because I now know who quoted me so I can respond again!

Quotes are worthless. The only thing that ever mattered were delicious, animated, green :lol emotes, and they're gone. All that's left is an endless mimicry devoid of purpose.

This is a world without God.

I don't get quoted a lot, mostly because posters often agree with my flawless logic and don't feel the need to add anything to my posts.

Quotes don't tell you anything about the quality of a post.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
That's a really stupid method.
I'd be willing to bet that "posts that get more than 3 quotes" is the strongest predictor we can get for "posts that get an user banned", and that "posts that do not get quoted" has strong negative correlation with "posts that can get an user banned"

And "Quality" is nebolous, but we can surely say it correlates negatively with posts that cause bans.

That's a really stupid method.
I'd be willing to bet that "posts that get more than 3 quotes" is the strongest predictor we can get for "posts that get an user banned", and that "posts that do not get quoted" has strong negative correlation with "posts that can get an user banned"

And "Quality" is nebolous, but we can surely say it correlates negatively with posts that cause bans.

I've taken a lot of bans (8 to be exact) and none of the posts that caused them have been close to my most quoted posts

Pusherman

According to this method, my Q/P ratio is somewhere around 70% (not precise because not all search results were actual quotes, some were mentions and others were unrelated). But most of the quotes were in threads about Islam where most people very strongly disagreed with me and I was often very outnumbered, hence the many quotes. So I don't think it says anything about objective quality.

On the other hand, thanks to you I read some of those posts about Islam/Muslims again and damn... I should compile that shit into a book 'cause those posts are fucking gorgeous. Seriously tho, I actually felt proud reading them. Thanks OP, you made me fall back in love with myself.

sinxtanx

please don't quote this, I desperately need to lower my Q/P ratio to make people stop coming to me for solutions to all their personal problems

thedan001

Really OP? That's your basis for a quality post? By being quoted?

I know a bit about statistics and I am confident that the data is misrepresented between actual quality posts and shitposts.

There's several factors involved here: Posters with multiple accounts trying to skew an argument in one direction, shitpost quote trains, and most OT communities quote invite/room infos.

I'm sure I have a terrible quote % myself, I mainly use neogaf to meet up gaming communities and don't post too much in gaming/off topic.

d00d3n

During the interval 2016-01-01 to 2017-05-22:

1473 quotes
2597 posts

Resulting in a Q/P ratio of

Arttemis

It's objective mathematics

I'm sorry the truth hurts
It's objectively mathematics, but the qualitative attributes you're assigning to that ratio are unverifiable and steeped in misguided vanity.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
5UcyV2R.jpg

Artdayne

It's objective mathematics

I'm sorry the truth hurts

The only thing objective is that this can determine whether your posts generate replies. What is not objective about this is whether that determines your quality as a poster. In fact, the posts that are probably quoted the least from my personal observation are those that provide a thorough, well researched contrary opinion without blatant shocking or inflammatory remarks.

The only thing objective is that this can determine whether your posts generate replies. What is not objective about this is whether that determines your quality as a poster. In fact, the posts that are probably quoted the least from my personal observation are those that provide a thorough, well researched contrary opinion without blatant shocking or inflammatory remarks.

What's the point of researching an opinion if you ain't gonna put some shocking and inflammatory stuff in there to make people engage with it

First off, how the hell do I have over 6000 posts here. I never post.

But from the last year I have 1318 posts and 468 quotes. Sounds about right, I try not to contribute in discussions too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom