• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your Q/P ratio? Is it improving or regressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

It's true, I've had three tags which means I'm the best

6TCZHHf.png

don't take it so seriously
everyone knows that tag-bragging is how you actually show off on GAF

The good thing about having a tag is that it lets you get away with posting outrageous stuff (in order to attract quotes) without being accused of tag fishing.

A tag is very liberating in that way

I don't post a lot compared to some but Gaf is the platform I'm most engaged with.

I like to think my posting quality has improved dramatically since I first joined nearly 9 years ago but I tend to find I don't get quoted a lot. I do try to respond to the ones that do but it always makes me sad when I feel I have added something to the conversation yet hardly get any responses :(

Mahonay

Banned
Looking back at my last 1500 posts back to just March 31st, it looks like I got quoted a little less than half of the time. 696 quotes.

My conclusion is that I spend way too much time on here and need to get a life.

Xe4

Banned
Man, you care way too much about what others think of your posts. Having the best posts doesn't mean you're going to be quoted the most. Indeed, joke posters get by far the most quotes, and there's nothing to indicate that their posts are the 'best'.

Just put as much effort as you can into your posts and threads, and let everything else sort itself out.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Man, you care way too much about what others think of your posts. Having the best posts doesn't mean you're going to be quoted the most. Indeed, joke posters get by far the most quotes, and there's nothing to indicate that their posts are the 'best'.

Just put as much effort as you can into your posts and threads, and let everything else sort itself out.

Great post. Would read again.

I'm not ashamed to admit it: I'm a quote slut. Is that so wrong?

Timeaisis

I just realized a pretty big flaw in this. If one of your posts gets quoted a bunch of times, that completely throws off your Post to Quote ratio, as it's no longer a 1:1 metric of how many times you've been quoted vs. how many times you've posted, and instead a metric of how often you are quoted (from any one post or combination of posts) to how many times you post. You could get quoted a thousand times from just one post, after having posted 4,000 total posts, which none of which had been quoted before, giving you an apparent Q/P ratio of 25%, but in actuality it's .025%.

Fewr

Is there a correlation between a high Q/P ratio and salary, penis size, and/or the frequency at which one obtains left swipes on tinder or grindr?

(left is the good one, right?)
It's an inverse correlation, especially with salary. Quality posters have more time to think, but are also unemployed. FACT.

I just realized a pretty big flaw in this. If one of your posts gets quoted a bunch of times, that completely throws off your Post to Quote ratio, as it's no longer a 1:1 metric of how many times you've been quoted vs. how many times you've posted, and instead a metric of how often you are quoted (from any one post or combination of posts) to how many times you post. You could get quoted a thousand times from just one post, after having posted 4,000 total posts, which none of which had been quoted before, giving you an apparent Q/P ratio of 25%, but in actuality it's .025%.

This is intentional. Quality posts that get quoted a LOT (such as this one) should be rewarded IMO

I have to echo people in here saying that quotes aren't a good measure. People are far more likely to quote something they disagree with than they are to quote in agreement with something.

Hell, I've seen whole pages that were mostly people quoting something they thought was stupid just to say the same thing 10 other people already quoted and told the person.

I've never seen a positive version of that around here.

old

I just searched for "quote=old" and got
expected searchd protocol version 1+, got version '0'

I don't even know what the hell that means.

EDIT: alright did it again. Got back 1500 hits. Last page is filled with threads dated 05/08/17.
So 1500 quotes in 2 weeks. Or 750 quotes a week.
Been here since 05/11/13.
4 years plus 2 weeks.
52 weeks in a year x 4 years + 2 more weeks = 210 weeks I've been here.
210 weeks I've been here x 750 quotes per week = 157,500 quotes.
I've made 4178 comments
157500 quotes from 4178 comments = 37.69 quotes per post.

I believe that makes me the champ. I'll await my trophy. I prefer it encrusted in emeralds not diamonds.

Spladam

I think you got the metric for quality post backwards OP, I would recommend you do not put so much emphasis on how many times your post are quoted on NeoGAF.

I mean, you do realize that one normally quotes post that they disagree with, and not normally because they feel it's of high caliber right?
Ok asteroid its time to end the human species
This is a quality post.
I don't get quoted much. I'm not very insightful, funny, or make enough outrageous statements to get noticed much.
Welfare quote.
12%... damn :/ thought it would be at least 30...

Edit: no wait, fucked up searched by threads and not posts. Lemme get the right number...

Double edit: 46%. Not bad but I could do better.
That percentage has some dubious implications about your post. I think you meant to say "I could do worse".
When NeoGAF becomes a problem; the thread.
There are some funny phenomenon on this forum that I've noticed over the years, something about NeoGAF causes some to take membership in this community and their respective popularity a bit to serious.

I think for some this forum represents a large portion of their social interaction. There is definitely some "cult of personality" workings going on here.

There are people here that have been on for a couple of years and have post counts in the ten's of thousands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom