• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What neogaf thinks of Watch_Dogs ?

Watch_Dogs_box_art.jpg

I have nothing else to play in my list till the 25th of August when Until Dawn and Dishonored DE releases, these are the only close upcoming games I'm interested please keep that in mind.

So I skipped Watch_Dogs last year after hearing so many disappointing word of mouth of the game ( while it scored decently in the reviews ) but what gamers said about the game really turned me off.

So here I am... a year later with nothing else to play for 2 months and bored to death, what the gaffers really thinks of the game now?

The open world? the gameplay? the story and characters? the graphics and the game value?

Keep in mind that when I invest in a game I invest in the sequels too... I like to dive in the whole franchise not only a game or two.

Please share your thoughts with me on the game.. your posts is really appreciated.

Edit: Ok guys I got your feedback thanks for sharing your thoughts.

DNAbro

I really really disliked it. The worst protagonist i have ever seen in a game, disappointing story, dull open world.

I would say that the only good thing about it is the shooting. for some reason it's satisfying. everything else sucks, honestly.

Got it fairly cheap a few months ago. Really enjoyed it for a couple of weeks and haven't played it since. Just no drive to play it. Nothing pulling me back in.

The story and characters are shit, but the mission design is pretty varied and the gunplay is awesome. Gameplay as a whole is pretty fucking fun aside from a mission or two.

It's an open world game that is a pain to traverse because the driving is utterly abysmal. If you can't explore this world in a way that's not frustrating, then what's the point?

Neither great nor terrible. It's the epitome of an average game. It would have been received better if the original reveal wasn't so misleading. Has potential for a better sequel though, and the multiplayer is worth putting a bit of time into.

Certinty

Loved it.

Gameplay was great besides the weird ass driving model but besides that, missions were cool and varied enough, graphics were immense and the city felt alive.

The story wasn't good though but I couldn't really care less about that.

Honestly can't wait until the next one, should fix the issues of the first and be a truly amazing game.

Into

Ill say something positive (woah!?)

It does a decent job at rendering Chicago, ive you have ever been its kinda well done. I sometimes just drive around these sort of open world games and just enjoy the scenery, its not the most exciting thing but its relaxing.

But most people will tell you its a pretty bland game, and the hacking is wasted potential. And the protagonist is as interesting as a wet rag, and they arent wrong. Its kind of a dull game.

Caayn

Best shooting and stealth mechanics in an open world game so far. Story isn't anything amazing. Overall I left with a smile on my face.

It's not the best game but it's certainly worth a shot imo.

I liked it.

The driving needed much improving, and it was only 900p on PS4, but other than that I had few complaints.

Few of the side characters were obnoxious as hell though.

Catdaddy

Liked it, replayed it recently and still liked it. Not the greatest open world, but "stealth" takedowns using cameras were a lot of fun for me.

I really really disliked it. The worst protagonist i have ever seen in a game, disappointing story, dull open world.

I agree. He was so emotionless.

I really enjoyed the game/gunplay, though. Felt good to play. And I wouldn't call the world dull. It was no GTA V, but it felt alive to me. Especially the run-down/urban areas of the map.

Moff

one of the worst games I have played in the last few years. despite the interesting hacking premise it felt extremely uninspired and straightout boring.

Great concept with a incredibly bland, Ubisoft cookie cutter execution.

Its not bad. Its just really dull and forgettable from story to mission design to side activities.

Chaos17

I prefered Sleeping Dogs instead since it also has hacking mechanics but it has better close combat system and story (IMO)

Robotziane

Neo Member
It was a nice surprise for me, picked it up on the cheap and really enjoyed the game. I actually quite liked the main character too.

Pros:

- Combat is decent and I liked the sandbox style encounters for the most part

- Hacking from system to system is a cool mechanic that didn't get old

- Graphics are decent

Cons:

-Quite possibly the worst protagonist in video game history. He's instantly unlikeable and his motivation for his actions is laughable.

-Driving physics. Some people liked them but I was not a fan.

-The side missions are boring and add nothing to the game.

Overall I'd give it a 5/10. I'll never play it again.

An average open world effort that I regard as abysmal because the writing was so goddam bad I wound up loathing the protagonist. Seriously every line of dialogue and twist of the plot were like nails on a chalkboard to me.

MrToast

I personally enjoyed it, the side activities like fixer contracts later on just got annoying though and pretty repetitive.

Also for the PC version, it ran piss poor for a lot of people even on high end machines, which was a shame no doubt. I think the worst thing about the game was driving, it was oversensitive and it was annoying that you were instantly accelerated when you wanted to move forward when you started the engine, which resulted in losing control and crashing sometimes.

Rnr1224

I didn't like it at all. Aiden was insufferable as a protagonist and the hacking aspect was kind of neat at first but it got old fast for me.

Kyle549

It's much better than some would have you believe. It has its moments and can be fun. The shooting and some of the sneaking mechanics are good.

And white it doesn't look as good as it did when it was first shown, it still looks pretty good.

Canucked

Bad protagonist. Okay story. Great city to explore.

Had some good missions too. But driving took a long time to get used to. Also audio was repetitive. Stations, NPCs and news alerts.

I also forgot that Aidan Pierce is insufferable. The way Ubisoft kept referring to him as a 'vigilante' actually angers me slightly considering you can gun down innocent people at any point.

Coldi

Neo Member
I liked it a lot! Well, it wasn't as polished as many other great sandbox games, but the gameplay was unique enough and I loved the hacking system. It kept my interest up until the end.

I would love to see sequel. I'm sure we'll get it eventually.

marrec

Banned
I reminded me a lot of the first Assassin's Creed in that it seems more like a proof of concept than an actual, fleshed out game.

Epcott

- Protagonist sucks
- Driving is stiff
- City gets boring
- Missions become repetitious
- Story is bad
- Ubi map formula

+ Multiplayer is fun
+ ...uh, sometimes the visuals are pretty

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Plot is nonsensical and the main character is a complete turd. I'm rarely one to be bothered by bad writing in games as most of the time I just don't care enough, but with this one it was hard to ignore. Hopefully the sequel has a different MC at least.

Still, I had a fun time with everything else and the game is actually fun to play for the most part, which is the most important thing. I got it on the cheap during a pre-order price error on Steam and I don't regret it. It's not an outstanding game, but it isn't as bad as many would lead you to believe. If you're into open world games you could do much worse.

Top Bottom