• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What neogaf thinks of Watch_Dogs ?

ocean

Banned
It was generally deceived as highly disappointing and not great around here. It also happens to be my personal opinion that while the game had some good ideas and nailed some aspects, you'll usually find yourself wishing you were playing GTA V instead.

Bear in mind: this is a forum where popular opinion is drastically different from the market at large. Stuff like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, FIFA, Madden and the like are looked down upon as lesser titles by many folks around here despite being the most popular and successful stuff out there.

red731

Soulless, but OK.

Who would have thought that music and actual radios are the bane of modern open world game.
Playing music without any ads and stuff is just...soulless.

Amneisac

I didn't hate it, but I just found it really boring. Very hackneyed, generic, completely uninteresting story and characters. Bland gameplay.

Just really banal, boring, and completely unremarkable.

Setsuna

You wont find a better game out there in terms of combat traversal and gadgets to handle almost any situation you get yourself into

People say it was bad compared to GTA5, but Gta5 is complete ass in terms of actual gameplay and mission design. Gta5 pretty much only has a better map story and character customization but the base gameplay is horrid

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
The most boring open world game ever, and it looked so much worse than it was hyped up to be. This is the game that basically told me game devs would lie and BS about how a game looked worst than initial trailers.
Gameplay was stale and the few cool ideas that I did like we're mostly mp based. Half of the game you play though camera hack view. The story was some stupid try hard shit too.

Also, worst Protagonist since tommy in prey, I hated him the whole time.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I actually quite enjoyed it to be honest. It wasn't amazing but it wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. There is a lot of room for improvement and I'm most likely gonna play the 2nd one whenever it comes out.

The story and characters aren't great niether is the driving but I enjoyed the variety of missions and the found some of the side quests to be interesting

I'd say give Witcher 3 or Batman a try before Watch_Dogs. Personally, I didn't mind WD but it's certainly not a great game by any means.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I generally liked the atmosphere of the game. The hacking made the world feel a little more real.
Even more so than GTA

I got my Platinum and sold it.

I hated, the stealth system. They give you 40 guns are you'll ever only really need the silenced pistol. You get rewarded for killing and if you complete your object without killing anyone you get NOTHING. It pissed me off.

It felt like a mish mash of ideas that really didn't mix together nicely.

Africanus

It misrepresents Chicago quite grossly.

The Sears tower was misshapen, Navy Pier became some random pier rather than a major tourist attraction.

There was The Great Chicago Mountain Range.

Lake Michigan always looked a murky black rather than varying shades of blue, green and brown.

No variety in boats. Chicago has one of the largest amounts of docks, piers, and harbors in the world and all I saw were 2 types of speedboats.

No beaches, despite Lake Michigan having a large coastline.

No police boats, despite there being quite a few.

No airplanes! Despite Chicago having the busiest airport in the world in O'hare, and a second large one in Midway.

I could go on, but this game was simply a horrid rendition of a city I know very well, amongst its other problems.

I did enjoy the online hacking though, that was the highlight of my experience. Pretending to be a regular pedestrian while going un noticed is great.

Sothpaw

I didn't dislike it. Main issue I had were the hackers you work with with all the face piercings/tattoos/dreads/etc. Maybe one like that, but both of them? Seems a bit off to me. To be honest the main story didn't drag on me like the GTAV one did. After about 1/2 way through GTAV I just wanted it to end already.

I like it a lot more than most, it had it's fair share of problems, but I really enjoyed playing it (I think I put it at 9 or 10 on my 2014 GOTY list as a matter of fact), I would love to see a sequel improve on the first.

shimrra

Personally, I liked it. Watch Dogs isn't a perfect game but something about it just was interesting. Also I never followed this game at all, when it was first announced at E3 was the only trailer I saw for it and at the time I didn't like it. So ever since then I never watch the trailers or even read/listen to the reviews. So how did I get it, well for some odd reason my son bought me this game for father's day last year. I gave it a shot and I ended up really liked it. Again its not perfect but I found this game more interesting than GTA3 (which I could never get myself to finish).

Kurdel

Banned
Multiplayer was super dumb and fun.

The coop where you would empty your grenade launcher to ragdoll the other coop guy for like 2 minutes was hilarious.

platocplx

I enjoyed it. Platnumed it, Before the drinking game patch(let me tell you it was pure hell to completed)

It has a lot of good parts(enjoyed hacking, being able to hack entire buildings and never fire my weapon,gang hangouts, some of the storyline) some bad parts(hated driving missions so much, kinda dumb that as soon as you hit the water there was no pursuit by police,some puzzles got repetitive over time) but overall it was pretty enjoyable to me.

online i had a hilarious moment here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgoabiz97KA

Overall I think it has great potential they tried to do too much and became a jack of all trades but very little mastery. however I cant wait for them to announce the next version. Im glad they didn't try to make it annualized it so it means they will come out with something hopefully even better than the first.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The game was fine. It could've done a lot better, but it had enough to keep me engaged to the end. First entries of new, big IPs often fail to knock it out of the park. There's a good deal of potential in this one, I think.

i liked shooting and driving ... hacking system is way too flawed and history sucks balls, but if you can grab it for like 15 bucks is a good deal.

oh, the hacker invasions on your game is kind of cool.

Neverwas

i thought it was a soulless, joyless "checklist" game, with zero likable characters, and a piss poor rendering of Chicago.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I enjoyed it, but Aiden is one of the most unsympathetic player characters ever created. It feels like you're playing a sociopath. I would much rather have played as a certain female NPC in the game (you'll know who I'm talking about once you play it).

Would be great if Ubi makes Aiden into the big bad in the next game, but that would require admitting they really screwed the pooch when they came up with Aiden and his characterization in the first game.

Yasae

Banned
Very average with some nice ideas (seamless multiplayer invasions/tailing). Basically they're gonna have to pull an AC2 for the next game.

Setsuna

I enjoyed it, but Aiden is one of the most unsympathetic player characters ever created. It feels like you're playing a sociopath. I would much rather have played as a certain female NPC in the game (you'll know who I'm talking about once you play it).

Would be great if Ubi makes Aiden into the big bad in the next game, but that would require admitting they really screwed the pooch when they came up with Aiden and his characterization in the first game.

Aiden isnt a sociopath if anything hes a psychopath and that's ONLY because he sees people as pawns in a game. But other than that hes nothing like them since he feels guilt for his actions

Secondly he wasn't supposed to be sympathetic he's supposed to be colder and more detached. Hell, he even installed cameras into nickis house without her knowing so he can watch over them as he handles his buisness

Muffdraul

A game that didn't live up to the hype, but was backlashed against way worse than it deserved. Not a bad game at all. The hacking aspect is a fun gimmick.

luffxan

Driving was amazingly trash like wow I hate driving in Watch_Dogs....gunplay was ok (nothing super special), hacking worked as a nice gimmick, and characters/plot didn't add anything

It was bland and soulless.

Thr campaign dragged on and on, I completed it and uninstalled it right away

Nevertheless, I think the franchise has potential.

Top Bottom