• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What neogaf thinks of Watch_Dogs ?

jbartee

this was the game that finally put me over the edge re: ubisoft open world games. I am never buying another one. ever.

and I really enjoyed assasin's creed I and II. but there's only so many times i can play the same game, over and over again. after suffering through the latter days of that franchise i swallowed ubisoft's PR narrative that watch dogs would be different. i was a fool. watch dogs is literally just assasin's creed with a modern skin.

and it's terrible.

and everyone should feel bad :mad:

Other than thinking it needed more content, I had fun with it. I also quite liked the protagonist and felt he was more memorable than most other characters in similar games. Not sure what the fuss is about his motivations and being a sociopath. Neither of those were any worse than the mindless killing machines you play as in other open world games or shooters.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I honestly couldn't get past the performance issues to play it beyond the prologue and a few missions. The problem is the performance issues weren't really consistent. Sometimes it'd run okay. Sometimes it'd run like dogshit, regardless of how low I made the settings. I got to the point where I stopped wanting to fiddle with it or take a gamble on how frustrated I was going to be with it, so I deleted it, because I don't need that kind of stress when I'm primarily playing games to decompress.

It's an UBI game with a new setting. If you are tired of that sort of thing, you probably won't like it. If you haven't played an UBI game in a while or have grown tired of Assassin's Creed, you may enjoy it.

I played every Assassin's Creed game and loved them until they killed off Damien. I really enjoyed Watch_Dogs but I haven't played another UBI game on next gen.

this was the game that finally put me over the edge re: ubisoft open world games. I am never buying another one. ever.

and I really enjoyed assasin's creed I and II. but there's only so many times i can play the same game, over and over again. after suffering through the latter days of that franchise i swallowed ubisoft's PR narrative that watch dogs would be different. i was a fool. watch dogs is literally just assasin's creed with a modern skin.

and it's terrible.

and everyone should feel bad :mad:

jbartee's comment exemplifies what I am talking about.

Rembrandt

Banned
Incredibly average. Not terrible, but seriously the most okay game I've played in a long time. There are some good things about it and some horrible ones. I've been meaning to do a write-up on it since I recently replayed it, but ugh. GTA V blows it away in every way except some aspects of combat. It even looks worse, the driving physics and collisions are terrible, the game is incredibly repetitive, the hacking mechanics get boring and useless fast (the novelty of changing traffic signals wore off immediately), the whole every ped is random with background is useless. The best part of the game are its sidemissions. Mainly the convoy thing.

The game was fun for it's time. I hated the driving but the city atmosphere at night was really good. The online was one big fail tho. I did like the gun play.

I enjoyed the side missions where you had to take out gang hideouts. I wish they had released more as dlc or something.
The campaign however was a mess. Storywise, characterwise and pacing.

Foundation for a good sequel though.

Graphics got downgraded and is pretty bad when compared to GTA5.
Gameplay mechanics don't really feel special. You just press a button to activate "crazy shit", but it gets tired after a bit.
Main character is very much the most unlikeable character.

It's bad. Oh yeah Multiplayer was shit, at least at launch.

Reminds me of a movie where a Policeman fell in love with a chick in a smal town and started a new life in that place but
his vendetta against a child abuser was stronger so it made him use the chick's son as a bait and screw up everything

That stupid is the Watch dogs protagonist.

Anyway the combat was great but the open world was kinda tonned down to just serve as interactive objects for the missions

Person of Interest and Mr Robot take the same themes and actually do an interesting job.

Watch_Dogs takes cool themes and then makes everything suck.

It sucked.

It is a sucky game from a lot of standpoints.

I mean... okay, it has nice visuals, and a great soundtrack. Shooting people can be fun. Side games were amusing.

But from a narrative standpoint, total shit clusterfuck crap.

Adrian Pierce is the worst protagonist this generation.

He's so forgettable it doesn't matter what his actual name is.

Fuck that guy.

Good graphic on PC and there are not a lot of other good things to say.

Boring protagonist that is also a dick to begin with, typical bullshit Ubisoft open world gameplay without fun gimmicks or traversal, bad main story and boring world building.

KorrZ

Mechanically competant, all of the mechanics play well and feel good but it's just fucking boring. There is nothing special about this game that makes you want to sink 40 hours into it. Personally, I felt that I had experienced all of the game's tricks about 3 hours.

zkorejo

It had so much potential... but it was mediocre at best.

The only good part for me was online hackers invading players world. I enjoyed it for about 5 days.. but if there comes a sequel.. I wont be looking forward to it. Unless it is rated really high by the players.

Piercator

Banned
One of the worst games I've ever played. First time that I feel like a tester with all the bugs that shit had. Impressive.
So much potential wasted.
That kind of games should be made by companies like RockStar. Period.

I liked a lot. It's a pretty good game, nothing great or out of the ordinary, but it is fun. Story is OK, Aiden Pearce is not a very good character, but it isn't that bad either.

Best thing is the gameplay, it's pretty fun. The open world feels alive too, which is something hard to find often in open world games.

I'd say its a $20-$30 good purchase.

I liked it a lot.

The combat, especially for an open world game, is fantastic in comparison to similar OWG. I also loved how everyone was named. Yeah, it's a random generator I'm sure as far as who is assigned what name, but it gave a real sense of place too and I loved it for that.

The driving/missions are your typical GTA-Clone affair.

It's an okay game. I liken it to AssCreed 1. It's a good start, but it needs some refinement and improvement. I look forward to the sequel. I played on PC with a 780 and I thought it looked fantastic, even if Ubi hit the magical downgrade button.

It was fine.

I remember having fun. The best part was the spider tank mini game. I thought some of the hacking mechanics and combat options were neat. Beautiful looking game on PC.

tilomite!

The game doesn't have a soul. The story, radio, overall fun factor are horrible compared to GTA. But it did have some good mechanics and I have hopes for a sequel, but it's only decent in a world with GTA.

I enjoyed the side missions where you had to take out gang hideouts. I wish they had released more as dlc or something.

They did in the Bad Blood DLC. The missions are called Street Sweep and offer more varied objectives and leaderboard missions that randomize the objectives and enemy layouts of a Street Sweep location every few hours.

Skyzard

Banned
It was alright, like GTA I don't have an issue like gaf does, although I didn't complete it and the story wasn't doing it for it me. Like the story was dull, for sure, and that may have had a big impact on the game for people.

But the gameplay was fun, the world was decent and MP hide and seek matches were pretty good too.

Basketball

Everyone watch this the main character is now a woman..... The reaction on gaf would have been totally different

The game was decent I thought. Good gunplay, fun mini games like the spider tank and poker.
Detailed city and pedestrian interaction.

Main character was a bit dull I would have rather played as Jordie.

7.5/10

Setsuna

Apparently not an example of sociopathic behavior. Gotcha.
If he was a sociopath he wouldn't have installed the cameras in the first place since he wouldn't care if they lived or died

But since Aiden had attachments to Lena Nicki and
romantic interests with Clara
pretty much negates any kind of pure sociopathic tendencies

The game with so much damn potential! unfortunately completely wasted by the awful story! Aiden has zero charm and charisma, by the end of the game I just wanted to finish to get it over with and never return. Shooting mechanics were good and the hacking mechanic was good but could still be better, if a sequel were to be made they need to seriously invest in better writers for the story.

Top Bottom