• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What someone in VR looks like when legit SHOOK.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
*sigh, I'm gonna be a stick in the mud but all that read like a lot of nonsense...

"I don't play games, I live it"

...should have just not said anything, this makes me even further skeptical....

I'm just going to leave now, I'm a cranky old fart and I haven't had my dinner yet

Nah, if they're faking then she deserves all the oscars. They just come across as a couple that got a vive and are posting some fun videos of them playing.

Love this one where she finally finishes the budget cuts demo. Awesome moment at 4:00 when she runs out of knives :)
https://youtu.be/BqjaTWKly44

She wasn't speaking English in the video. English is clearly not her first language (see: scardypie). The example sentence structure you gave is common for non-native English speakers.

Ummmm ok, then what context should I have taken "I don't play games, I live them"?

I get that everyone is eager to show how immersive VR and I'm as excited for it as the next gaffer but this is a bit much in terms of reaction

Nah, if they're taking then she deserves all the oscars. They just come across as a couple that got a vive and are posting some fun videos of them playing.

Love this one where she finally finishes the budget cuts demo. Awesome moment at 4:00 when she runs out of knives :)
https://youtu.be/BqjaTWKly44

Hmmm I'm on mobile but I'll check this out

Krejlooc

Banned
Re: "She's faking!"

One thing to understand is that VR displays affect regions of your brain that conventional displays do not. The extent of this effect is not yet well understood, but I actually am working with a neurologist who is researching this right now. One example of how this happened to me comes from Alien Isolation. I actually did this in front of a live stream when the game first came out. Alien Isolation lends itself to virtual reality very well because the vanilla game devotes an abnormal level of focus on your ability to look around and control your gaze. You can do things like lean, and peak, and tilt your head, and all sort of other things you can't normally do in first person games. Because of the extra level of upperbody head control the game granted, it made itself a good candidate to just map the upper body to your body orientation with the rift itself. During my first encounter with the alien, I was hiding in the sick bay behind a desk as the alien stomped around behind me. I couldn't see him, but I could hear him panning from left to right behind me on my headphones. I slowly turned around, then physically peaked my head over the desk and saw his back towards me just inches away. I ducked back down - IRL - and the hair on my legs stood on end. My palms got sweaty and the bottom of my feet got extremely cold. I said outloud to the live stream "I know this isn't real but I can't stop my body from reacting like this." Adrenaline shot through my body. It was freaking awesome.

Videospel

Was uncomfortable to watch. They should have taken her headset off because she clearly couldn't handle it. Not fun at all.

My only horror experience in VR so far is the Dreadhalls demo. Being inside the game makes a world of difference. You cannot lean away from the screen like in a regular game. I really had to prepare myself mentally every time I entered a new room, like I was preparing to get jumped in real life. And this was me sitting in full daylight in a room with maybe 30 people. Even though I knew this, it didn't matter, it was still scary. I've always been tough when it comes to scary movies and games, but I'm not so certain I will dabble in VR horror games. I don't think it would be healthy.

Almost argued with you, but... Sarcasm...?
latest

Every game should be that, just happy and cheery good fun. I don't want stress in my gaming experience, I already get that from real life! I want pure feelgood escapism!

lol

I'll turn the accusation around and say that the "she's faking it" people have never tried VR.

Games and movies don't scare me. Period. Ever. A hard bass thump can make me jump but that's about it. I also don't get motion sick or dizzy. Ever. Period. But 15 seconds in EVE Valkyrie and I was dizzy as fuck, and had to look down at my virtual pilot body, at which point my brain went "Oh there I am, cool" and everything was fine. A few solid hits on my fighter and I got legitimately jumpy. And that's not even a horror game.

In a good VR experience, to quote Morpheus, "Your brain makes it real." Games aren't scary because they're not happening to you. VR is very different. It's not about being a wuss or whatever, it's about the method of the experience tapping into primal instincts and reflexes that something on a screen in front of you simply doesn't outside of very specific circumstances.
This was a good post. I'm telling you...people will understand one day. They will doubt until they put on their Vive/Rift/PSVR for the first time.

Then they will know.

Krejlooc

Banned
One of the most aggravating things in the world is having to demo a horror game in front of other people. I had to demo Dreadhalls when it first came out on Gear VR, on stage, in front of a crowd. I tried my best to put on my big boy face and reminded the crowd that "I'm not good with horror" but I still got plenty of laughs as I involuntarily flinched and startled. And, they couldn't tell, but I closed my eyes plenty of times lol.

billeh

Game definitely more than a few yells out of me. You try staring up a 15 foot zombie that's two feet away from you. Fell down multiple times from zombies sneaking up on me. You know it's not real, but it still get to you, at least in the moment. And I'm pretty desensitized to video games.

shira

I'll turn the accusation around and say that the "she's faking it" people have never tried VR.
I've tried the VIVE and it's very good. But the Brookhaven Experiment to me was a video game. Have you every shot a gun MattKeil?

1. Tactile cannot be replicated yet.
- You are holding a plastic controller that weighs a few hundred grams. Guns are much heavier and have a huge recoil. This woman is cross arm firing a gun with a flashlight like it's nothing.
- You have a 1 pound weight on your head and cords which she is manipulating
- The temperature is the temperature in your house and of course the controllers don't heat up
- The zombies don't actually damage you or touch you

2. Visuals are a mixed bag.
- You have a screendoor effect on the VIVE which you can choose to ignore
- Head tracking is very good but there is still minute lag in the tracking and the screen.
- Also you are looking at a screen of LED's. It's different from being out at night in the absence of light.

3. Sound is quite good; the surround effect works well
- But again does that sound like a real gun? It sounds like a video game gun.
- Guns are fucking loud. You can't casually pop off shots like shes doing.
- You are wearing headphones

4. Smell cannot be replicated yet.
- If you have ever fired a gun or smelled blood is in the air that is very distinct.

In a good VR experience, to quote Morpheus, "Your brain makes it real." Games aren't scary because they're not happening to you. VR is very different. It's not about being a wuss or whatever, it's about the method of the experience tapping into primal instincts and reflexes that something on a screen in front of you simply doesn't outside of very specific circumstances.

People react very differently in performance type scenarios. Some people cannot do public speaking, some people cannot shoot free throws with a game on the line. VR creates a new type of scenario - one that you cannot quit. If you find a scene uncomfortable in a movie you look away or close your eyes. In a non-VR game you can throw away the controller or turn off the machine. In this VR scenario she choose to play it through. There are videos of women "quitting" VR by ripping off the headset to terminate the experience.

I already made a post with all the signs and symptoms of fight & flight reactions of these so-called primal instincts:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight-or-flight_response#Reaction
http://www.bensonhenryinstitute.org/stress-fight-or-flight

Screaming is not one of them. Screaming is learned. She wasn't screaming for help she was just screaming her brains out.

CREMSteve

I just watched the new Outlast 2 video on my phone and got startled by a bird when the player opened a window.

A bird. On my cell phone.

VR is going to rock my fucking world, lol.

For people still thinking she's faking it or this reaction is about promoting their channel (this is reaching conspiracy levels now), she gave a lengthy response in the comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6urJejluX44&lc=z13gxzkx3vmwwv1kl23ah1daykmnjplgk04

Renate Meyer 5 hours ago (edited)
+Messofanego
"Hi! Renate here. VERY long explanation incoming: I can say for sure, that this is 100% real. I have never ever been this scared my entire life. What people might not see or understand, from what I have read in comments, is that it does not look scary and what is the fuzz about and that I am exadurating. I truly understand where they are coming from, seing the whole thing from the outside and I was laughing until I cried cause it was so silly. I will try and explain every detail to my reaction. I am the kind of person who really reacts and freak on everything. I am a chicken and a scardypie. When it comes to games, I dont play them, I LIVE THEM. I have always been super immersed in everything I do and one could say I never really grew out of my childhood hehe. I used to buy horror games when I was younger, and have my pals play them for me, cause I did not dare to do so myself. I would be so agitated and tense I would jump and scream at the most random things, wich made them more scared of ME than the game itself. I managed to have my neightbour almost call the police when I was a teenager cause she heard me scream across the street, having met T-rex for the first time in the very first Tomb Raider game. I am en extremely lively person who really do immerse myself into everything I do. Anyone who knows me can confirm this.

So with this being said, Ill try and explain what is going on in my head during this movie. As I said I am a scardypie, so all I knew was that it would envolve shooting. This alone made me nervous, cause I am a terrible aimer and shooter. And the second the game started I was not sure what to expect, I kinda thought things would come running towards me in high speed so I started turning frantically around trying to find anyone ramming me, but when nothing happened I had time to really take in the whole situation and I really started to freak. So when I then finally HEARD the first monster, I got scared but braced myself and was gonna take it down, and when I started shooting, I kept missing, and it came closer.. that was when I started realising I was not gonna be able to make it.. so I started shaking. And the more my hands were vibrating, the harder it was to aim, and hit.. hence it came closer, and then I heard something behind me. And this is one of the things that might be hard to understand watching the video. But the sounds.. oh the horrible sounds of something wet and slimy creeping nearer behind me, knowing I still had one in front of me I could not kill... insert coin for panic mode here

Well bascially I completely freaked, and I forgot it was a game. People think it's weird that I just stand there and not take off the VR, but as I said earlier, I dont play a game.. I live it. I was there and it was so real. Poor graphics and fake monsters or not, it felt real, my brain thought it was real and I just lost it. They came closer and closer and there was more and more of them, and I keep missing and go out of ammo, and the reloading was soooo slow, I freaked and the fight or flight mode activated for real and I start screaming and I seriously throught I was goiung to die. Even if I knew somewhere in the back of my mind it was just a game. It might sound weird to some, but I just started blasting as much as I could in pure panic turning and twisting, not thinking rationally or logic (not that I ever do anyway) I just shoot, for my dear life, hope Ill hit SOMETHING. And one of them get close, and I shoot it, I see it die, and I am soooo scared now, that when I turn shoot something else, turn back, and the body is still in my sight I freak out even more, cause I JUST KILLED IT WHY IS IT STILL HERE OMG OMG Omg omg.. yeah you know the phrase by now. And when I fnally managed to get through it I was so dissapointed I had survived, because I could NOT go through that again. Another thing that does not show on the video, but, I was so stressed, my body was so warm I was steaming. My back was moist and sadly (well thankfully :p) I had a white shirt on, so it does not show, but my pits were soaked and my heart was coming out of my mouth. And I was so relieved to get out of it. (If I had been faking, or acting, I would most likely be living in Hollywood in a mansion, having hundreds of Oscars by now, but alas.. I was lucky to afford a Vive ) Some will probably still find it fake, and I am Ok with it. Everyone is different. Some people might just shrug and go eh.. while otehrs, maybe not to the same extreme as myself, will freak out. I find the whole discussion very interesting cause I do understand both sides here, but hope that everyone can agree that we are all different and react in different ways =) And I want to conclude with thanking everyone who called me brave!"
BlEacCG.png

and here I thought it was just a few random GAFers who did not believe. I guess I'll put this in the OP. tyvm.

internet is silly sometimes.

I've tried the VIVE and it's very good. But the Brookhaven Experiment to me was a video game. Have you every shot a gun MattKeil?

- You are holding a plastic controller that weighs a few hundred grams. Guns are much heavier and have a huge recoil. This woman is cross arm firing a gun with a flashlight like it's nothing.
- The temperature is the temperature in your house and of course the controllers don't heat up

- Head tracking is very good but there is still minute lag in the tracking and the screen.
- Also you are looking at a screen of LED's. It's different from being out at night in the absence of light.

- If you have ever fired a gun or smelled blood is in the air that is very distinct.

People react very differently in performance type scenarios. Some people cannot do public speaking, some people cannot shoot free throws with a game on the line. VR creates a new type of scenario - one that you cannot quit. If you find a scene uncomfortable in a movie you look away or close your eyes. In a non-VR game you can throw away the controller or turn off the machine. In this VR scenario she choose to play it through. There are videos of women "quitting" VR by ripping off the headset to terminate the experience.

I already made a post with all the signs and symptoms of fight & flight reactions of these so-called primal instincts:

Screaming is not one of them. Screaming is learned. She wasn't screaming for help she was just screaming her brains out.
what does the reality of the matter contribute when the person probably has never shot a real gun or ever been attacked by a real zombie? what her brain thinks about or cares about in regards to guns and zombies might line up enough with what's in the game for her brain to consider it real enough.

also even then, it's not that VR is real. it's that VR is a real game. You're in the game. This dumb looking game is what you feel like you're in. So again, coupling it with realism doesn't matter as much.

Tahnit

Banned
I really need to try this shit. The fact that it taps into some primal instinct of survival and its a fucking video game is fascinating to me. I hate horror games but i want to experience this.

Risible

I don't understand why people would be skeptical of this.

In one of the videos linked in the OP, a guy is playing a game, drops a battery, goes to pick it up, and almost falls over because he tried to lean on the virtual table in front of him as he bent over.

If VR can cause those kinds of feelings of "realness" I don't doubt that a horror game could freak someone the fuck out.

What point are you trying to argue exactly? That VR can't be scary? Or not scarier then normal games? I don't get it. You come across as if you have an agenda to push, denying such a thing can happen despite so much evidence to the contrary.

07-minister.jpg

After reading through my post i don't feel i quite got the point across, your post is moronic. While reading it i was actually laughing, then i felt quite sad as i remembered you probably have the right to vote or one day will.

sorry for the double post.

The interrogation chamber is a great psychological exercise that can help you determine how you'd physiologically respond to frightening situations.

If you close your eyes and use headphones, you are LITERALLY in that chamber. I urge every last one of you to try it out and see how you react, and then come back here and tell me if the woman in that video is 'faking it'.

I know a lot of people watching this who never tried VR are like "this doesn't look scary at all, she is overacting" right now but it is a whoooole different look and feel when you are in VR.

For most people probably, which is why I'm actually starting to get excited about it. But there are some who simply dont have these reactions. The two times I've tried VR I walked away unimpressed, because I simply cannot separate my emotional/visceral self from.the knowledge that its a game. I had no vertigo, no sense of presense, nothing. Of course that was over a year ago.

BUT, I am still excited about it. I live vicariously through my wife already with things like scary movies, because I can enjoy her reaction, her sense of fear, since I simply dont have it myself. Playing Outlast alone in a dark room at 4am did nothing to me, but I get a kick out of her enjoyment of scary movies. She gets scared, but enjoys it, so it's fun for me.

Something like rhis would probably be TOO scary for her though, sadly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Was uncomfortable to watch. They should have taken her headset off because she clearly couldn't handle it. Not fun at all.

My only horror experience in VR so far is the Dreadhalls demo. Being inside the game makes a world of difference. You cannot lean away from the screen like in a regular game. I really had to prepare myself mentally every time I entered a new room, like I was preparing to get jumped in real life. And this was me sitting in full daylight in a room with maybe 30 people. Even though I knew this, it didn't matter, it was still scary. I've always been tough when it comes to scary movies and games, but I'm not so certain I will dabble in VR horror games. I don't think it would be healthy.

Maybe she enjoys it? Like people that scream all the time on a scary rollercoaster but then want to ride again? In the moment she might be scared but she gets off on the adrenaline rush? She didn't sound forced into doing it in the comments.

That's a very weird assumption. Watch the video in the OP, watch the IGN video of Paranormal Activity. One of them is showing believable human reactions, one is not.

Don't move the goalposts, please. You said that if she wasn't faking her reactions, she would literally run away, which is patently stupid. Do I have to quote you?

It's a fake. You can tell by her reactions, if she was really scared even 10 % as much as she pretends to be she would've had the natural reaction to run away. Flight is the most basic instinct when you're scared to death, yet it never happens.

Either admit that statement is idiotic or defend it, don't backtrack into a generic and subjective "well it's obvious she's faking".

Kaversmed

The interrogation chamber is a great psychological exercise that can help you determine how you'd physiologically respond to frightening situations.

If you close your eyes and use headphones, you are LITERALLY in that chamber. I urge every last one of you to try it out and see how you react, and then come back here and tell me if the woman in that video is 'faking it'.

Gave this a legit try and while it was pretty effective at putting you in the chamber, the cheesy awful dialogue kinda put me out of it, but I can see VR becoming extremely immersive down the road. Thanks for the link, though. Interesting experience :D

This is true - I managed to scare myself during Audioshield because midway through a song I was so immersed and so cut off from the actual world that I began thinking about what would happen if someone broke in to my apartment while I was playing. I had to take one headphone out.
I mean, that's just playing a rhythm game. If you don't think someone could be genuinely scared by a VR horror game then you're an idiot.

It did nothing for me so I had one of the most easily frightened people I know at work try it. She said, and I quote, "that's not a knife, that's a spoon!". She wasnt frightened at all. Hopefully good VR is better than this.

viveks86

Wow. This is awesome! I can't believe this is actually making me feel like my space is being invaded. I'm fighting the urge to move away when he leans close to me :D

The actual dialogue (and delivery) isn't all that intimidating though. It's the binaural effect that I find crazy immersive.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If you don't believe VR can be THAT immersive, listen to what the man from the competition has to say:

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/720493918987632640
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/720494025741090816

Shu said:
While playing Budget Cuts in Vive, which game is awesome, I fell to the floor when I leaned over the window from 2nd floor to downstairs.

For a split second I thought I was gonna die.

I hope you don't think he posted this for clicks. And he's playing what is practically a cartoonish game, talking about that stupid remark about how the guns are not heavy enough or you don't feel the smell of the zombie.

Gave this a legit try and while it was pretty effective at putting you in the chamber, the cheesy awful dialogue kinda put me out of it, but I can see VR becoming extremely immersive down the road. Thanks for the link, though. Interesting experience :D

You raise a very valid point.

There's more to the psychology of fear than sensory input; if the situation seems implausibly harmful to you, it might have a net effect of neutrality.

It's something that really needs to be addressed in VR, aside from the technical stuff.

It did nothing for me so I had one of the most easily frightened people I know at work try it. She said, and I quote, "that's not a knife, that's a spoon!". She wasnt frightened at all. Hopefully good VR is better than this.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the technology. Spoon or knife, I'm sure you guys perceived the sounds to be real, whether they frightened you or not; binaural audio (when recorded properly) is virtually indistinguishable from real world sounds to your brain when your eyes are closed.

But yes, the content was a little cheesy, so there might not be much of a fear factor for some people. However, the ASMR is in full effect for anyone who's sensitive to it.

Wow. This is awesome! I can't believe this is actually making me feel like my space is being invaded. I'm fighting the urge to move away when he leans close to me :D

The actual dialogue (and delivery) isn't all that intimidating though. It's the binaural effect that I find crazy immersive.

Right. I was originally just talking about the physiological responses you get just from the sensory input itself, but the dialogue does make it difficult to actually feel legitimately afraid.

Nevertheless, it goes to show how effective full immersion can be when done right (on purely a technical level). Of course, the content will need to match that quality in terms of realism in order to have any meaningful impact.

Bergerac

In fairness, I think the reaction says more about the player than the game. Her reactions aren't 'faked' but this experience isn't a new standard either.

This isn't some great affirmation.

I've never tried VR before but one time I went to a haunted house and it had one of those dark rooms with light that is spinning around like a spiral. When I saw the room through a door before entering it I thought "Oh give me a fucking break, I'm not falling for this shit". So my friends and I enter and we're good for maybe a 3rd or half the way through the room.

Then somebody starts falling down constantly(they have rails for us to hold) and I'm thinking he's just faking it. Then suddenly I'm having the same issues and the 5 of us are convinced that the room is actually spinning and we can't seem to keep our balance. We make it to the end of the room and see again that the room wasn't actually spinning but the illusion the light created made us believe it and thus we were stumbling like fools.

If VR can give me the same experience(basically making me believe I'm there) then I just can't wait to try it for the first time.

Ok gave this a try, it's a cool trick and immersive as it was you still know it's not real due to you physically feeling something else compared to what you're listening to.

Short answer: she's faking it

If you don't believe VR can be THAT immersive, listen to what the man from the competition has to say:

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/720493918987632640
https://twitter.com/yosp/status/720494025741090816

I hope you don't think he posted this for clicks. And he's playing what is practically a cartoonish game, talking about that stupid remark about how the guns are not heavy enough or you don't feel the smell of the zombie.

That's hilarious i've had many similar experiences, i've tried to sit in a chair in VR that wasn't there (obviously), i tried to lean on my hover junker during a firefight and fell into a wall (face first, it hurt) and when i finished playing job simulator the first time i tried to put the controllers down on the bench in front of me and dropped them on the floor.

Honestly i cant believe half he shit i'm seeing in this thread, it's laughable how much of an agenda some people have to push.

Ok gave this a try, it's a cool trick and immersive as it was you still know it's not real due to you physically feeling something else compared to what you're listening to.

Short answer: she's faking it

Well, 'knowing it's not real' is not the same as 'being able to tell the difference between real life sounds and virtual sounds'.

With closed eyes and a good pair of head phones, it would be virtually impossible to tell which sounds were coming from your environment or the virtual source. As a result, there are unconscious physiological responses to that, like the ASMR effect, though not everyone is sensitive to it.

I've been thoroughly enjoying people declaring whether or not she is faking this, as if anyone here could actually determine this. That being said, game looks like a fun time, and I'd probably freak out a bit too.

ReBirFh

Thank you for this experience. I didn't feel fear but felt uncomfortable throughout the audio because I really felt those people were walking around me. You convinced me that VR might be an awesome experience.

Is there any game that take advantage of "Binaural 3D sound"? Maybe some kind of chose your own adventure where you can play with your eyes closed.

red731

I've been thoroughly enjoying people declaring whether or not she is faking this, as if anyone here could actually determine this. That being said, game looks like a fun time, and I'd probably freak out a bit too.

My most hated thread that I must come to look and get pissed again.

I have GearVR and when my SO tried rollercoaster 360 video, she just went to the first drop and when the drop happened she put down the HMD.

She must be faking it. Fuckin sigh

My most hated thread that I must come to look and get pissed again.

I have GearVR and when my SO tried rollercoaster 360 video, she just went to the first drop and when the drop happened she put down the HMD.

She must be faking it. Fuckin sigh

remember this guy?

he's almost certainly faking it. why? idk just because lol. i read on wikipedia what happens when you're scared and it sure isn't that, nobody flops around like magikarp when they're actually scared in real life, it's science fact

but for real bro if this is your most hated thread then... welcome to your very first GAF VR thread! you're gonna have a great time here

Nokterian

Fuuuuuuuuu this sounds amazing and scary as fuck!

Top Bottom