• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 'Spider-Man's 73% Fri-to-Fri Fall Means For Sony, Marvel, And other Cape films

Bleepey

Spider-Man: Homecoming’s debut weekend last week seemed to be cause for celebration for both Sony Pictures, which owns the rights to the Spider-Man franchise, and for Marvel, which got to welcome its long-lost brother superhero back into its Cinematic Universe. The film was extremely well reviewed with a 93 percent Rotten Tomatoes rating, and well attended, with a $117 million domestic gross, the best 3-day opening for a Spidey flick since Spider-Man 3’s stunning $151 million debut a decade ago.

But things quickly turned sour for the Sony-Marvel co-pro yesterday when the grosses fell off a cliff, tumbling 73.2 percent from the first Friday’s $50.8 million tally to an estimated $13.6 million on the second. That’s one of the worst Friday-to-Friday drops the 16-movie Marvel Cinematic Universe has ever seen—only Avengers: Age of Ultron and Captain America: Civil War fared worse—and it's by far the worst for any of Sony’s 6 Spider-Man movies. Even the heavily front-loaded and relatively poorly reviewed Spider-Man 3 fell by a lesser margin on its second Friday.

If I’m an exec at Sony or Marvel I’m nursing a pretty nasty hangover right now, and doing a post-mortem analysis to figure out what went wrong. No one can fault the quality of the movie; although I personally found Tom Holland’s Peter Parker a bit over-eager and even screechy at times, it didn’t detract much from the fresh and enjoyable new take on the character and his story, a genuinely warm, human and humorous re-booting of a franchise that was in danger of growing stale.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robcai...marvel-and-for-superhero-movies/#2dba96fa1672

I liked it about the same as Wonder Woman.

Dinskugga

The problem is that every big summer movie has a premiere each week. Of course they gonna eat of each others boxoffice

I dont get why the studios do like this. Its plain stupid

LionPride

Banned
Most of those movies ain't have to deal with the end of a trilogy of good movies to compete against the very next week and then a war movie by Nolan at the end of this week

Like logically it makes sense why this happened

A little bit of Spidey fatigue and probably the competition is what I think happened.

Guardians and Wonder Woman benefited from not having that much competition and Wonder Woman, besides being something new is a pretty good movie.

Garou

First of all: Forbes Contributor, might as well read any random blog.

Secondly: If the drop is big, one might turn this around and think of the first week having been over-acheiveing. Anyway, A2 and CA3 performed worse in this metric und ultimately nobody was disappointed with those.

mreddie

Summer movies are gonna cannibalize each other. It was easy 10 years ago, even 5 years ago but wow...

Everyone chases the cash no matter what the cost.

Oh hi Scott.

Kusagari

First of all: Forbes Contributor, might as well read any random blog.

Secondly: If the drop is big, one might turn this around and think of the first week having been over-acheiveing. Anyway, A2 and CA3 performed worse in this metric und ultimately nobody was disappointed with those.

People definitely considered their legs disappointing.

What a random article. Spider-Man: Homecoming is going to be huge worldwide, and will make more then the Amazing Spider-Man films. Yes the second weekend drop is a bit poor, but it's not like it's a mega bomb or something.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow, they're in real trouble if they're doing just better in terms of drop off relative to that $1.1 billion that Civil War brought in.

I'm going to make a wild prediction and say that fatigue will set in and Marvel's moneyhatting coffers will dry up in the next 10 minutes!

Nairume

Banned
Yeah, it's easy to forget that Spider-Man 3 really benefited from having enough room to breath before it had to start sharing theater space again.

BriGuy

Those reasons aside, I've been up to my balls in super hero movies for the past decade or so and I'm really getting burnt out on them.

RyanW

I doubt it was the movie itself. If I truly was a Marvel or Sony exec I would see this coming with it being the first Spidey standalone since AS2 AND putting it up in the middle of Summer.

Domestically and critically it'll probably be close to Winger Soldier which is seen as a top MCU film. There's really nothing to worry about.

Dynomutt

People are desensitized a bit. If this was the first Spidey movie ever then it would have done bonkers. This is essentially the 6th Spider Man film in the franchise. Had Sony been more reponsible with the property maybe it would have done better.

I have a friend who even thinks this is Spider Man 6 had to break it down.

Loudninja

People are desensitized a bit. If this was the first Spidey movie ever then it would have done bonkers. This is essentially the 6th Spider-Man film in the franchise. Had Sony been more reponsible with the property maybe it would have done better.
I dont get this.
“Homecoming” banked on the idea that the summer box office was craving a family-friendly superhero movie — Tom Holland plays a high school version of Peter Parker who, at 15 years old, has to prove that he is worthy of being called an Avenger. And it seems that bet is paying off. The $117 million figure is the second largest in Sony Pictures history, behind “Spider-Man 3.”

Nintendo is doomed. Let's just cancel the MCU. And Star Wars while we're at it.

Unless... Wait. Maybe James Wan's James Cameron's Aquaman will redeem Stan Lee next year.

TOM HOLLAND IS A NATIONAL TREASURE :mad:

He's British though, lol.

Yeah, it's easy to forget that Spider-Man 3 really benefited from having enough room to breath before it had to start sharing theater space again.

Still mostly had poor legs. Poor WOM already kicked in on opening weekend, didn't help that it was hyped to hell, and failed to deliver on expectations.

Pretty sure AoU was considered a disappointment which is why there were some internal changes made afterwards.

That wasn't because of AOU though. That was to demote Perlmutter who was causing a ruckus / stalling when it came to certain films getting made like Black Panther & Captain Marvel.

Weird article since they say themselves Marvels biggest films had worse drops

WW had way more competition
I disagree. Pirates came out the week before and hasn't done well domestically for a long time.

Captain Underpants doesn't have that big of a brand recognition.

The Mummy looked like a bomb from the start.

I guess Cars 3 but those aren't the most popular Pixar movies.

Transformers is in the same situation as Pirates.

I don't think any of those films are comparable to being in between Despicable Me 3 and Apes 3.

To be clear, I'm not trying to take anything from WW as I really enjoyed the movie but I don't think the competition was on the same level.

Lebron

You mean when DM3, Apes, and Dunkirt dropping in the same time frame they experienced high drops?

Well, I say!

Dynomutt

I dont get this.

But this article is clearly implying it dropped 73%. Is it being front loaded a good thing? If it can't sustain success doesn't the $117 show a good launch but bad sustainability. Don't you want the movie to keep doing good?

Honestly why did Sony not wait on the Garfield take. Those movies felt like throw stuff against a wall and see what sticks. The swinging and suit were cool though.

Ashhong

Most of those movies ain't have to deal with the end of a trilogy of good movies to compete against the very next week and then a war movie by Nolan at the end of this week

Like logically it makes sense why this happened

I don't think you can blame Apes for that big of a drop. ANd not sure how a future movie can also be blamed. It was just a front loaded cbm. I would say it's spidey fatigue. The fans showed up opening weekend but the rest just aren't as interested as we thought.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's a rough movie season. Spider-Man is surrounded by movies with some incredible word of mouth, unlike something like WW or GOTG2 which were mostly surrounded by fucking garbage.

Baby Driver, Apes, and now Dunkirk...

I don't envy anyone putting a movie out right now.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I disagree. Pirates came out the week before and hasn't done well domestically for a long time.

Captain Underpants doesn't have that big of a brand recognition.

The Mummy looked like a bomb from the start.

I guess Cars 3 but those aren't the most popular Pixar movies.

Transformers is in the same situation as Pirates.

I don't think any of those films are comparable to being in between Despicable Me 3 and Apes 3.

To be clear, I'm not trying to take anything from WW as I really enjoyed the movie but I don't think the competition was on the same level.
This is all very retroactive points. Apes isn't some massive competition be real now, Transformers unexpectedly underperformed massively, same with pirates.

Spiderman has Apes Dunkirk and freaking vlerian as nearby competition, lets not kid ourselves Wonder woman would have kicked just as much ass under those cirmsumstances.

hokahey

People have been inundated with shit spiderman films for awhile now. I think the big opening weekend had a lot to do with the people that understood this was now a Marvel movie, with the drop off reflective of the general public being burnt too many times by the property in recent years. A sequel will do well as the goodwill is being rebuilt. There will be a lot of "the last one was actually really good."

I don't think you can blame Apes for that big of a drop. ANd not sure how a future movie can also be blamed. It was just a front loaded cbm. I would say it's spidey fatigue. The fans showed up opening weekend but the rest just aren't as interested as we thought.

Spidey fatigue is the biggest cause IMO.
Sony fuck up to many years with the IP.

longdi

Banned
I think people are growing tired of standalone marvel films.

I certainly am, haven't watch Homecoming yet. The last i watched was Gotg2, while fun, felt too much the samey marvel formula. Unless they start doing more crossover and more IW development, i dont really care about new heroes like Dr Strange, Black Panther, milking the MCU..

Top Bottom