• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 'Spider-Man's 73% Fri-to-Fri Fall Means For Sony, Marvel, And other Cape films

Realistically, it doesn't mean much.

But if we're exaggerating, Parker's time is DONE. Time to reboot it again with Miguel O'Hara in the spotlight.

lKl6uQy.jpg

Sesha

Even if the movie is good, different from the previous movies in a lot of significant ways, and part of the MCU and featuring Iron Man, being the second reboot in five years, and coming after three bad movies with SM3, ASM1 and ASM2 will have had an effect. If Transformers and PotC can suffer from fatigue, so can Spider-Man.

I'm sure even if the movie was a cinematic masterpiece, it would still have suffered, though maybe to a lesser extent.

Edit: Just saw kwis' post. Seems like it'll do fine after all.

I think this may be the right time for another reboot. Amy Pascal to write and direct it, Shia Labeouf as Spidy, Charlie Sheen as Kraven and Pewdiepie as Harry Osborn. 4 hours flick with lots of slowmo, jump cuts and cranes. Thousands of cranes.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think Spider-Man is fine at Sony and things are looking good in the future. Sony and Marvel are together in pushing Spider-Man on a variety of fronts besides the MCU and Sony Spidey films. I'm not even just talking about the Venom or other spiderverse spin offs but the PS4 game from Insomniac.

eh8HEAJ.gif

That looks pretty damn good to me and is only a small snippet of a game a still a year out or there abouts. It looks strong on all fronts and will only help in building the Spidey brand further. Hell the game could be bigger than the movie as there has been a severe glut of AAA super hero games out there outside of the Arkham games and we haven't gotten a great Spider-Man great in even longer.

ERotIC

Banned
Also, that drop number is including preview numbers from last Thursday, which was around 11-12 million IIRC. So the drop isn't actually 72%.

Yeah, EVERY blockbuster has a big FRI-FRI dropoff, since the 2nd Friday is being compared to two days combined. Non-issue.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Logan's changing the formula made me realize how tired of the normal superhero genre. I'll catch them on home video at this point but the tropes and pacing need to either evolve or die.

They've been evolving, MCU phase 1 is completely different than MCU phase 3.

People reeeeeally wanna believe this movie is a failure lol. And that Apes isn't very decent competition.

Anyways, Logan has been mentioned. Here's my stop.

Jigorath

Banned
Isn't HC on track to make over $800m? I don't think anybody at Sony/Marvel will be disappointed with that. A billion was always a long shot. Maybe with the sequel.

Nipo

They've been evolving, MCU phase 1 is completely different than MCU phase 3.

They still follow either the standard "Save the Cat!" pacing or the inversion. They've just been packaging it slightly different with each film. Deadpool and Logan were good deconstructions of the genre but we really need something else to push it forward. The problem is pushing forward a genre is risky and no studio wants to take a risk with a 300 million dollar project after production and advertising.

I'm not saying they aren't fun, they usually are, just they could be much more.

So did apes do very well at B.O?

Remember the odd post mentioning Spiderman would eat into It's competition this summer (namely in the apes review thread). Personally, I'm expecting Dunkirk to be the big summer movie.

Dynomutt

So did apes do very well at B.O?

Remember the odd post mentioning Spiderman would eat into It's competition this summer (namely in the apes review thread). Personally, I'm expecting Dunkirk to be the big summer movie.

Don't know but will say Apes is the bet hero film all year. For me at least.

kswiston

When people talk about legs for a film, they usually use the opening weekend multiplier as a quick and dirty yardstick.

If a film opens to $100M and makes $300M domestic, it has an OW multiplier of 3x. A film with that run would be viewed to have better legs than something that opened to $150M and made $300M. Both had the same final gross, but the first film only made 33% of that in its opening weekend, vs 50% for the second film.

Here's the second weekend percentage drops, and 10-day OW multipliers for all Marvel DC films from 2016 and 2017

Code:
TITLE				2nd Weekend Drop	10-day OW Multiplier
Deadpool			57%			1.79x
Batman v Superman		69%			1.57x
Civil War			60%			1.65x
X-Men Apocalypse		64%			1.79x
Suicide Squad			67%			1.66x
Doctor Strange			50%			1.80x
Logan				57%			1.73x
Guardians of the Galaxy 2	56%			1.70x
Wonder Woman 			43%			2.00x
Spider-Man Homecoming		61%			1.78x

Other than Wonder Woman's phenomenal run, nothing else is fairing all that much better than Spider-Man. Summer Weekdays compensate for the smaller weekends.

When Homecoming finishes its run, it won't be particularly front-loaded for a comic film.

Kin5290

Considering how a mediocre a movie as Wonder Woman is holding up so well, Marvel Studios really should have accelerated Captain Marvel instead of doing fucking Ant Man or Doctor Strange.

But yeah, the OP cites a Forbes Contributer article, which is about as worthless as any other blog post.

It doesn't mean anything. It's already surpassed ASM2 in 2 weeks. If anything, people just didn't want to see another Spiderman film so quickly, but the fact that it isn't an origin store, and it being really good is what elevated it over ASM.

Probably due to lackluster word of mouth. Unless you're a super fan of comics or MCU, I never saw that high of praise for the movie. The movie isn't bad, it's just not as good of an adventure as some want you to believe.

phanphare

Banned
They still follow either the standard "Save the Cat!" pacing or the inversion. They've just been packaging it slightly different with each film. Deadpool and Logan were good deconstructions of the genre but we really need something else to push it forward. The problem is pushing forward a genre is risky and no studio wants to take a risk with a 300 million dollar project after production and advertising.

I'm not saying they aren't fun, they usually are, just they could be much more.

I'd say coming up on about a decade of full universe continuity has done plenty to push the genre forward and was honestly the shot in the arm that comic book movies needed. movies like Avengers and Civil War were huge and they did a lot to bring the DNA of comic books to the big screen in a way that hadn't really been done prior. the Infinity War movies seem like another huge event for the MCU.

FTF

YUP.

And who's in here thinking Ragnarok is gonna be the studio's first "rotten" film?

That thing is going to be probably top 3, critically, when the dust clears.

If Thor: The Dark World could be fresh with 66%, then no MCU movie may ever be rotten.

When people talk about legs for a film, they usually use the opening weekend multiplier as a quick and dirty yardstick.

If a film opens to $100M and makes $300M domestic, it has an OW multiplier of 3x. A film with that run would be viewed to have better legs than something that opened to $150M and made $300M. Both had the same final gross, but the first film only made 33% of that in its opening weekend, vs 50% for the second film.

Here's the second weekend percentage drops, and 10-day OW multipliers for all Marvel DC films from 2016 and 2017

Code:
TITLE				2nd Weekend Drop	10-day OW Multiplier
Deadpool			57%			1.79x
Batman v Superman		69%			1.57x
Civil War			60%			1.65x
X-Men Apocalypse		64%			1.79x
Suicide Squad			67%			1.66x
Doctor Strange			50%			1.80x
Logan				57%			1.73x
Guardians of the Galaxy 2	56%			1.70x
Wonder Woman 			43%			2.00x
Spider-Man Homecoming		61%			1.78x

Other than Wonder Woman's phenomenal run, nothing else is fairing all that much better than Spider-Man. Summer Weekdays compensate for the smaller weekends.

When Homecoming finishes its run, it won't be particularly front-loaded for a comic film.

kswis, there is no need for logic. Its time for knee jerk articles and reactions.

Erv

I hear people say that super hero movies will always be successful but I don't think that's true. People are eventually get tired of these movies

YUP.

And who's in here thinking Ragnarok is gonna be the studio's first "rotten" film?

Next time on "Forbes, come get your boy": "What 'Thor: Ragnarok's' 12% Fri-to-Fri RT Audience Score drop means for Sony, Marvel, and the US 2018 Midterm Elections."

ZeoVGM

Banned
YUP.

Bobby, sometimes I see your posts and I'm like, "Why I oughta."

Then I see posts like this and I'm like

tumblr_onw974utce1telojoo1_500.gif

Ragnarok going to destroy.

Maybe it because we've seen 5 Spiderman movies, comprising of 2 rebooted over a relatively short amount of time and there's some franchise fatigue?

YUP.

Why would it be? Everything about it looks significantly better than the previous Thor movies and it they weren't "rotten" I don't see why it would be

kswiston

I hear people say that super hero movies will always be successful but I don't think that's true. People are eventually get tired of these movies

That could be true. But that year is not going to be 2017. Three of the four live action superhero films are heading towards $800M+, and the other one was an R-Rated film that made over $600M on a $97M budget.

Domestic numbers have slaughtered pretty much any blockbuster that wasn't a superhero film this year.

Erv

I'm not talking about people getting tired of them anytime soon but I say in about 6 years things are going to start changing

Top Bottom