• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 'Spider-Man's 73% Fri-to-Fri Fall Means For Sony, Marvel, And other Cape films

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lot of movies do well on RT. Nearly all the MCU movies do very well on RT. But drops speak louder, especially when such a high percentage doesn't seem to matter or help performance.

Spider-Man prints money. If the movie stood out, it would hold better. Just seems like an average outing instead.

So you haven't seen it but have decided to enter the thread about how it's doing at the box office to give your definitely not biased opinion (while also ignoring the fact that the drop isn't as bad as the thread title might make you think, as I doubt you took the time to read up on the topic before posting) on its quality -- despite it getting a great reaction from critics and fans.

BadAss gonna BadAss.

LionPride

Banned
I can only speak for myself, but while I normally base my cinema viewing on RT scores, and thus this film should be on my watch list, I have no intention to see it. I just don't feel excited for it, and I assume it's because there have been too many films about Spider-man already.

(Also, everybody is/was praising this Spiderman for being witty, clever, wiseguy, ... and close to the source material, but I was very annoyed by his appearence in Civil War (and the trailers for this film). The barrage of stupid jokes and awkward convo's is not something I enjoy at all.)

Having said that, it seems the movie is doing just fine.

Then that sounds like you don't like a lot of Spider-Man period then

Sulik2

Guardians 1 was a runaway success in August facing zero competition. It still surprises me marvel isn't doing March August November for their releases and eliminating any competition cutting into their legs. Which seems to be what happened to Spiderman.

1.) The first Friday includes "Thursday Previews" which are Thursday evening showings whuch constitute 15 million of that figure.

2.) Spider-Man opened significantly higher than expected. A bigger drop can be accounted for by that.

3.) It had better second weekend competition than WW or GotG did.

Typical GAF overreaction in a nutshell.

worst part of that movie...and some may not agree....having tony stark in it
although he wasn't used that much it was more than enough to make the film feel more like a bridge to the next avengers movie and not something that explores spidermans universe some more

on the plus side...Best batman makes a great bad guy

Keym

The Marvel fatigue is real! /s

I do find them boring nowadays but I'm guessing I'm in the minority here.

Loudninja

When people talk about legs for a film, they usually use the opening weekend multiplier as a quick and dirty yardstick.

If a film opens to $100M and makes $300M domestic, it has an OW multiplier of 3x. A film with that run would be viewed to have better legs than something that opened to $150M and made $300M. Both had the same final gross, but the first film only made 33% of that in its opening weekend, vs 50% for the second film.

Here's the second weekend percentage drops, and 10-day OW multipliers for all Marvel DC films from 2016 and 2017

Code:
TITLE				2nd Weekend Drop	10-day OW Multiplier
Deadpool			57%			1.79x
Batman v Superman		69%			1.57x
Civil War			60%			1.65x
X-Men Apocalypse		64%			1.79x
Suicide Squad			67%			1.66x
Doctor Strange			50%			1.80x
Logan				57%			1.73x
Guardians of the Galaxy 2	56%			1.70x
Wonder Woman 			43%			2.00x
Spider-Man Homecoming		61%			1.78x

Other than Wonder Woman's phenomenal run, nothing else is fairing all that much better than Spider-Man. Summer Weekdays compensate for the smaller weekends.

When Homecoming finishes its run, it won't be particularly front-loaded for a comic film.

Marvel is over when all the big players finally leave. Not yet tho and Spiderman seems to be performing reasonably.

Avengers 4 will very likely be the MCU's last hurrah

Marvel is over when all the big players finally leave. Not yet tho and Spiderman seems to be performing reasonably.

Well. Why do you think they're starting to introduce new characters now? Ant-Man was successful. Doctor Strange was very succesful. Spider-Man is going to end up very successful when all is said and done and people stop freaking out about a not-atypical second weekend drop.

Black Panther has a TON of hype.
Captain Marvel will also probably be great.

Even IF all the big players leave after 4, which is still a pretty big 'if.' An Avengers 5 that consists of Strange, Spidey, Panther, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, and The Wasp would still be quite successful.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Well. Why do you think they're starting to introduce new characters now? Ant-Man was successful. Doctor Strange was very succesful. Spider-Man is going to end up very successful when all is said and done and people stop freaking out about a not-atypical second weekend drop.

Black Panther has a TON of hype.

Even IF all the big players leave after 4, which is still a pretty big 'if.' An Avengers 5 that consists of Strange, Spidey, Panther, Captain Marvel, and Ant-Man would still be quite successful.

I think he was joking and just making fun of the ridiculous overreactions.

I hope so, at least.

wazoo

The fatigue will come one day, not because of a change in characters, but because people will just be over with superheroes movies.

Busty

Banned

tenor.gif

Blader

The fatigue will come one day, not because of a change in characters, but because people will just be over with superheroes movies.

The superhero movie genre is almost 40 years old. People don't get fatigued by superheroes, they get fatigued by bad movies.

There have been six Spider-man movies in the last fifteen years.

I know that's why I didn't see it. :/

Plus we've been getting three superhero movies a year since, like, 2009. It's been a decade of superhero glut. Eventually, comic book movies will be like westerns. General audiences will feel like everything that can be said in the genre has been said and it will be packed up and remain a back-catalog for enthusiasts only.

And yeah, it's silly to be talking about the death of the genre when they still make hundreds of millions of dollars. But I think we are seeing the beginning of the downward turn. When you really think about the amount of superhero movies that have been made since X-Men in 2000, it's amazing we made it this far.

The superhero movie genre is almost 40 years old. People don't get fatigued by superheroes, they get fatigued by bad movies.

Not true. There were still good Westerns when Americans stopped going. They were only marketable in Italy.

Plus we've been getting three superhero movies a year since, like, 2009. It's been a decade of superhero glut. Eventually, comic book movies will be like westerns. General audiences will feel like everything that can be said in the genre has been said and it will be packed up and remain a back-catalog for enthusiasts only.

And yeah, it's silly to be talking about the death of the genre when they still make hundreds of millions of dollars. But I think we are seeing the beginning of the downward turn. When you really think about the amount of superhero movies that have been made since X-Men in 2000, it's amazing we made it this far.

Not true. There were still good Westerns when Americans stopped going. They were only marketable in Italy.

I don't think this is anywhere near a "glut." Look at this list of how many westerns were released between 55 and 59. That's an absurd number that superhero films don't even come within reach of. This was also during an era in which consumers had less options. There weren't cineplexes with 24 screens. There was a few local movie houses that each had 1 screen. That's why Westerns died. Not because there was 6-7 of them each year. Because there was 20-30 of them each year, and they hogged all the theaters.

black070

Not this year.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Based on what?

Seriously, there is nothing to support this. At all.

Hari Seldon

I know this movie got good reviews, but at least with my circle of friends it is getting bad word of mouth. Basically "meh". The Iron Man stuff was universally hated it seems.

Busty

Banned
Folks been waiting on the comic movie bubble to burst for years. It ain't 2017, and there are no signs indicating it's coming soon.

I don't think that the bubble is going to burst anytime soon but there has to come a saturation point where all the TV shows and films that flood the market start to canabalise each others audiences.

Marvel Studios and DC should be fine but everything else (Fox/Marvel and whatever SPE's knock off cineverse and *chortle* Valiant) are going to struggle at some point. The market can only support so many films a year and I don't see three or four fucking X-Men/Deadpool films from Fox a year are going to make it never mind Silver/Black or Ninjak or whatever the fuck it's called.

JCHandsom

Based on the fact that comic book movies are starting to see major second-week drops? Isn't this the third one?

Please pardon my confirmation bias. I'm just reacting to the news.

This is one of the best years for superhero movies ever. All released films have scored positively with both audiences and critics. Wonder Woman is looking to clear $800 mil, SMH is on track to beat its two previous films, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 made more money than the first one, Thor Ragnarok is easily gonna clear the previous Thor films, and I could go on. The idea that this year of all years is where we hit peak superhero fatigue is ludicrous.

black070

This is one of the best years for superhero movies ever. All released films have scored positively with both audiences and critics. Wonder Woman is looking to clear $800 mil, SMH is on track to beat its two previous films, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 made more money than the first one, Thor Ragnarok is easily gonna clear the previous Thor films, and I could go on. The idea that this year of all years is where we hit peak superhero fatigue is ludicrous.

Don't forget Logan.

I just want to be right.

But I am not. I withdraw my doomsaying. I should refrain from analyzing the performance of movies I didn't even go see.

Sorry everyone. The view was too comfortable in my armchair and I forgot myself.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Guardians 1 was a runaway success in August facing zero competition. It still surprises me marvel isn't doing March August November for their releases and eliminating any competition cutting into their legs. Which seems to be what happened to Spiderman.
Not exactly true.
TMNT opened in GotG1's second weekend, with an OW of $65.5M and a total of $191M

It's weird that people would think Sony would be upset with Homecoming right now.

- It's already beat AS2 domestically.
- It hasn't dropped in Belgium/France/Japan/China.
- It's still trending strong on social media/YouTube.

Then if you consider Spider-Man is going to be featured fairly heavily in both Infinity War movies, including all the trailers and press, they are getting a lot of brand awareness that could really play into their favor for SM:H2.

I don't give much (or any) credit to Rothman or Pascal, but even they have to realize they are sitting pretty right now.

Top Bottom