• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 'Spider-Man's 73% Fri-to-Fri Fall Means For Sony, Marvel, And other Cape films

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It only dipped so much because of it's beastly opening weekend. It still made 10k per screen this weekend and surpassed Thor 2's lifetime domestic gross.

People need to chill. Homecoming is coming off of 2 pretty lukewarm Spider-Man flicks and definite reboot fatigue from the mass market for that character in particular.

It's going to easily finish above Winter Solder and be a middle-of-the-pack total gross for the MCU.

JCHandsom

Marvel...is dead

Thor-3.gif

See you all in November!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Movie probably just isn't that good. Looks like all this will get compared to the ASM movies is the MCU bump.

MTtp2tV.png

By what metric is this movie "just not that good"? Both critics and moviegoers really enjoyed it.

And no, this movie will not be compared to the ASM films. You're letting your DC fanboyism cloud your judgement.

Fj0823

Movie probably just isn't that good. Looks like all this will get compared to the ASM movies is the MCU bump.

MTtp2tV.png

Or maybe the third reboot in 10 years in the franchise has an uphill battle to win back audiences and it being really good helped it outgross it's predecessor in just 2 weeks?

Syriel

Rob Cain needs to leave the Box Office stuff to Scott Mendelsson over at Forbes.

This drop doesn't mean anything out of the ordinary.

Why would he do that?

When you get paid based on clicks, you need to drive as much traffic to your own articles.

Clickbait headlines and forum threads are how Forbes Contributors pay the bills.

BadAss2961

MTtp2tV.png

By what metric is this movie "just not that good"? Both critics and moviegoers really enjoyed it.

And no, this movie will not be compared to the ASM films. You're letting your DC fanboyism cloud your judgement.
Lot of movies do well on RT. Nearly all the MCU movies do very well on RT. But drops speak louder, especially when such a high percentage doesn't seem to matter or help performance.

Spider-Man prints money. If the movie stood out, it would hold better. Just seems like an average outing instead.

Fj0823

Lot of movies do well on RT. Nearly all the MCU movies do very well on RT. But drops speak louder, especially when such a high percentage doesn't seem to matter or help performance.

Spider-Man prints money. If the movie stood out, it would hold better. Just seems like an average outing instead.

Civil War dropped 59%.

This drop is nothing to write DOOM clickbait titles or question a good movie's quality.

Einchy

And you're basing this all on a drop that's equal to other drops.

The people who have seen the movie have said how great it is, you have to be so far remove from reality to actually think that this movie's critical reception has been "average" because it has been anything but.

BadAss2961

Civil War dropped 59%.

This drop is nothing to write DOOM clickbait titles or question a good movie's quality.
Not saying it's DOOM worthy at all, just meh territory.
And you're basing this all on a drop that's equal to other drops.

The people who have seen the movie have said how great it is, you have to be so far remove from reality to actually think that this movie's critical reception has been "average" because it has been anything but.

A Spider-Man movie that might just hover around $300M is average, especially with the MCU bump. There's really no other explanation than the movie probably just not being that good.

Einchy

There's really no other explanation than the movie probably just not being that good.

Nope, literally no other explanation. Transformers? Actually some of the best movies ever made, you disagree? Look at how much money it made.

Judging a movie's quality based off how much it made at the BO is lunacy.

DeathyBoy

Banned
That has nothing to do with the movie's quality.

I'd argue that a Spider-Man film Fflint average Marvel business perhaps suggests it's not the film the casual audience wanted.

Nope, literally no other explanation. Transformers? Actually some of the best movies ever made, you disagree? Look at how much money it made.

Word of mouth is a thing.

Einchy

I'd argue that a Spider-Man film Fflint average Marvel business perhaps suggests it's not the film the casual audience wanted.

Again, what does that have to do with the movie? Tons of amazing movies tank just because no one saw them, doesn't mean that the movie was bad, or that not giving what casual audiences wanted is somehow a negative mark on the movie's quality.
Word of mouth is a thing.
And Homecoming is loved by people who have seen it. On Gaf, Twitter, Reddit and real life, I've only come across a handful of people who haven't liked it.

I was going to say I wouldn't be surprised if it took the top spot next week back from Apes but then Dunkirk comes out. That's just some rough competition to be stacked up against. Wonder if it would have been better to be the last blockbuster of the summer rather then the spot they are in.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I was going to say I wouldn't be surprised if it took the top spot next week back from Apes but then Dunkirk comes out. That's just some rough competition to be stacked up against. Wonder if it would have been better to be the last blockbuster of the summer rather then the spot they are in.

It amazes me that people think it's okay for the first MCU Spider-Man film, featuring RDJ, to lose top place second weekend to an apes film.

I mean I'm glad it did because SMH was pretty mediocre, but it's genuinely jaw dropping that it couldn't hold the line for even two weeks.

Mario007

MTtp2tV.png

Or maybe the third reboot in 10 years in the franchise has an uphill battle to win back audiences and it being really good helped it outgross it's predecessor in just 2 weeks?

The reboot argument would affect its opening weekend not legs.

It amazes me that people think it's okay for the first MCU Spider-Man film, featuring RDJ, to lose top place second weekend to an apes film.

I mean I'm glad it did because SMH was pretty mediocre, but it's genuinely jaw dropping that it couldn't hold the line for even two weeks.

Apes is being build up as some masterpiece, the greatest trilogy of all time. Shouldn't be that surprising. Spidey will have much longer legs especially if it is viewed as a quality film. After Atomic Blonde and the Emoji film August is pretty empty, Spider-Man may not drop below 2nd place just based on the amount of nothing in its path.

Perhaps the movie wasn't as fun, exciting and funny as critics, RT made it out to be?

Perhaps the whole high school drama version wasn't the right vision to proceed with, if you want to pull in your audience and have them come back to keep watching it more than once?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Apes is being build up as some masterpiece, the greatest trilogy of all time. Shouldn't be that surprising. Spidey will have much longer legs especially if it is viewed as a quality film. After Atomic Blonde and the Emoji film August is pretty empty, Spider-Man may not drop below 2nd place just based on the amount of nothing in its path.
Apes under-performed though.

People can make all the excuses they want, making "middle of Marvel pack money" is not the result Sony wanted.

It's the result Sony more than likely expected. The other options here were to reboot again without Marvel, or to go ahead and do ASM3 and the Sinister Six. Given Sony's general inability to reign in budgets, we would have been looking either way at a movie that cost more than $200 million (both ASM movies were above that), which is more than this movie cost by about $20-50 million or so. At best, going ahead with ASM3 would have probably gotten them something around a DOFP to Apocalypse level drop (the same 28% drop worldwide puts you at $514 million without accounting for the value of the dollar going down, or if you want to put your focus on domestic the 34% drop there puts you at around $134 million). A non-Marvel reboot gives people no reason to trust the team behind it, and unless a miracle happened at best probably gives then the same numbers they got from ASM1 ($260M domestic, $500M international with 2012 exchange rates that Kswis can translate to 2017 if he feels like it). Homecoming is going to make more money than both of those options. while costing less. There's very, very little chance that Sony is unhappy with the amount of money this movie is going to make. Would they have liked it to make more? Sure, they'd love for every movie they make to make more money, but that doesn't mean that they're unhappy with what, as someone else said, will probably be their best grossing movie (and possibly their most profitable) of the past 5 years.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's the result Sony more than likely expected. The other options here were to reboot again without Marvel, or to go ahead and do ASM3 and the Sinister Six. Given Sony's general inability to reign in budgets, we would have been looking either way at a movie that cost more than $200 million (both ASM movies were above that), which is more than this movie cost by about $20-50 million or so. At best, going ahead with ASM3 would have probably gotten them something around a DOFP to Apocalypse level drop (the same 28% drop worldwide puts you at $514 million without accounting for the value of the dollar going down, or if you want to put your focus on domestic the 34% drop there puts you at around $134 million). A non-Marvel reboot gives people no reason to trust the team behind it, and unless a miracle happened at best probably gives then the same numbers they got from ASM1 ($260M domestic, $500M WW with 2012 exchange rates that Kswis can translate to 2017 if he feels like it). Homecoming is going to make more money than both of those options. while costing less. There's very, very little chance that Sony is unhappy with the amount of money this movie is going to make. Would they have liked it to make more? Sure, they'd love for every movie they make to make more money, but that doesn't mean that they're unhappy with what, as someone else said, will probably be their best grossing movie of the past 5 years.
Sony wasn't going to do ASM3 regardless, the lead kissed them off and jumped ship so they were going to do spin offs and maybe another reboot.

LotusHD

Banned
Perhaps the movie wasn't as fun, exciting and funny as critics, RT made it out to be?

Perhaps the whole high school drama version wasn't the right vision to proceed with, if you want to pull in your audience and have them come back to keep watching it more than once?

So it's the opposite of BvS, this movie was for the critics, but not the fans! /s

Sony wasn't going to do ASM3 regardless, the lead kissed them off and jumped ship so they were going to do spin offs and maybe another reboot.

Sony almost replaced Tobey Maguire during the first trilogy (though IIRC that was more due to injury). They cast Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane Watson in ASM2, gave her a plot line, and then cut all her scenes and recast the character. I honestly wouldn't have put it past Sony to recast Garfield and go ahead with their Sinister 6 idea.

McDonald's is obviously the best burger in the world.

Timbuktu

It was better than I expected and I look forward to more of Spider-Man again. I wouldn't have gone if not for the reviews though. The third speiderman in a decade might be too much for most. I guess a bit unlucky it was followed by the Apes film, which is decent competition.

Mario007

It's the result Sony more than likely expected. The other options here were to reboot again without Marvel, or to go ahead and do ASM3 and the Sinister Six. Given Sony's general inability to reign in budgets, we would have been looking either way at a movie that cost more than $200 million (both ASM movies were above that), which is more than this movie cost by about $20-50 million or so. At best, going ahead with ASM3 would have probably gotten them something around a DOFP to Apocalypse level drop (the same 28% drop worldwide puts you at $514 million without accounting for the value of the dollar going down, or if you want to put your focus on domestic the 34% drop there puts you at around $134 million). A non-Marvel reboot gives people no reason to trust the team behind it, and unless a miracle happened at best probably gives then the same numbers they got from ASM1 ($260M domestic, $500M international with 2012 exchange rates that Kswis can translate to 2017 if he feels like it). Homecoming is going to make more money than both of those options. while costing less. There's very, very little chance that Sony is unhappy with the amount of money this movie is going to make. Would they have liked it to make more? Sure, they'd love for every movie they make to make more money, but that doesn't mean that they're unhappy with what, as someone else said, will probably be their best grossing movie (and possibly their most profitable) of the past 5 years.
Despite liking ASM I guess going with Marvel was the best option. However doing another high school origin story just without uncle Ben and spiderbite was stupid.

Honestly I would have prefered if they went the James Bond route and have a number ofnself contained Spidey pics.

bananas

Banned
Not saying it's DOOM worthy at all, just meh territory.A Spider-Man movie that might just hover around $300M is average, especially with the MCU bump. There's really no other explanation than the movie probably just not being that good.

The last Spider-Man movie made $202M at the box office.

This movie is going to finish around $100M more than the last one domestically.

It will end up grossing more than ASM1.

What the fuck are you talking about?

duckroll

Serious question: Is Marvel done? Is this the end of the line? Could Disney be regretting their purchase already? Is Sony going to sell Spider-man to Fox in exchange for Cyclops?

*heavy breathing*

LotusHD

Banned
Serious question: Is Marvel done? Is this the end of the line? Could Disney be regretting their purchase already? Is Sony going to sell Spider-man to Fox in exchange for Cyclops?

*heavy breathing*

After Black Panther comes out, they're cancelling the entire thing, sorry to say.

Zok310

Banned
Planet of the apes war is like the lord of the rings return of the king of 2017. Meaning everyone that have been following the movies is going to see it and they bringing their friends. Way too much competition this week.

Poona

I'm in no rush to see the film.

I think Spider-man is alright as a character (not one of my faves but I like the idea of playing a video game of him as I swing through the city), but the feeling I have with this film is kinda the same feeling I had with Andrew Garfield, and that is 'a new Spider-man again?' Like I like the Tobey Maguire films and I went to see them, but I didn't care to see Andrew Garfield in the role in a reboot just shortly after, so I never saw them at the cinema and I'm not sure whether I'll even see the new Spider-man at the cinema.

If they got Tobey Maguire back though as I thought Robert Downey jnr was hinting at a while back then I probably would have been really interested to see it.

Lol at the posts from those with DC avatars.

err, it's not like someone with a DC avatar needs to be a Marvel Hater or something! I have an obsession for both to excel in their respective universes. Spiderman-Homecoming just didn't feel exciting when compared to it's debut trailer. The action felt messy in 3D, way too much peter parker uninteresting high school stuff and way less spiderman-y content and then you add Tony Stark and it just loses it's identity as a standalone Spiderman movie.

I can only speak for myself, but while I normally base my cinema viewing on RT scores, and thus this film should be on my watch list, I have no intention to see it. I just don't feel excited for it, and I assume it's because there have been too many films about Spider-man already.

(Also, everybody is/was praising this Spiderman for being witty, clever, wiseguy, ... and close to the source material, but I was very annoyed by his appearence in Civil War (and the trailers for this film). The barrage of stupid jokes and awkward convo's is not something I enjoy at all.)

Having said that, it seems the movie is doing just fine.

Top Bottom