• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 'Spider-Man's 73% Fri-to-Fri Fall Means For Sony, Marvel, And other Cape films

I feel like the marketing didn't do much for the movie. Didn't seem so fresh and exciting. For me personally that translated to the flick m, but it didn't seem too fun based off the trailers.

Yeah. Movie itself was alright. Wasn't as exciting as the Raimi movies personally.

But I don't think this is a word of mouth problem. it seems to be doing ok. Just had the burden of being another Spider-Man reboot so soon. Coming after a real piece of crap

diaspora

Yeah. Movie itself was alright. Wasn't as exciting as the Raimi movies personally.

But I don't think this is a word of mouth problem. it seems to be doing ok. Just had the burden of being another Spider-Man reboot so soon. Coming after a real piece of crap

It's better written and an overall better movie than ASM 1 and 2, but I'd put their action choreography over this too.

It's better written and an overall better movie than ASM 1 and 2, but I'd put their action choreography over this too.

All 5 other Spider-Man movies have way better soundtracks. And cool swinging through the city sequences. They really dropped the ball on excluding that and phoned in the ost on this one.

Also i really hope all that tech shit and ai is dropped in the sequel. Goes against the scrappy street level hero they try to sell him as tbh.

diaspora

All 5 other Spider-Man movies have way better soundtracks. And cool swinging through the city sequences. They really dropped the ball on excluding that and phoned in the ost on this one.

Also i really hope all that tech shit and ai is dropped in the sequel. Goes against the scrappy street level hero they try to sell him as tbh.

I legitimately don't think they're going to move into this direction honestly. I get the sense they'd rather leave this to the Netflix shows.

Ashhong

The last Apes film made $72 million on its opening weekend and $710 million worldwide.

Yo those Apes movies make bank

Compared to Transformers which already performed poorly with its last entry, a poorly reviewed Mummy reboot, and Pirates - it's easy to see a well reviewed Apes film being bigger competition.

If anything, arguing against that premise in 2017 is the harder argument to make. We've seen enough credence that RT can break your film, or it can make your film (See: Baby Driver).

Apes made 56 million apparently. I guarantee you there have been CBM movies that did not drop as much as Spiderman, while having the competition of a movie that pulled in over 56 million. Apes is a blockbuster for sure, but it doesn't explain THAT drop

^ And transformers and Pirates still made more than Apes so...

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Not exactly surprising, it's the 3rd reboot in a couple of years against a lot of other great movies both before and after it

I didn't think homecoming was that amazing ( in fact I thought ASM was even more memorable ) I wanted more scrappy street level spidey. But that's besides the point.

It doesn't really matter how good Spidey reviewed, there was no way I am going to watch it in theaters. I know the story, and have seen it so many times on screen that its just not that interesting. Now, when Spidey 2 comes out I may go to theaters if it reviews well, but not the Origin movie. I will see it at home though.

Dunkirk is similar, while I am sure its going to be an amazing movie and the IMAX aspects breath taking, just no real interest in seeing a slice of WW2 movie after having seen Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. I expect a lot more people though to be interested in Dunkirk, especially younger people who never watched Ryan/BoB.

phanphare

Banned
Not exactly surprising, it's the 3rd reboot in a couple of years against a lot of other great movies both before and after it

I didn't think homecoming was that amazing ( in fact I thought ASM was even more memorable ) I wanted more scrappy street level spidey. But that's besides the point.

compared to all the previous Spider Man movies this was the scrappiest and most street level take on the character yet

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
compared to all the previous Spider Man movies this was the scrappiest and most street level take on the character yet

Preferred Spider-Man 1&2 but homecoming was still good, but agree to disagree on which was better. But Don't see how a hi tech suit with ai and spider drone can be considered scrappy and low/street level.

Angel_DvA

The film was ok but not really amazing, like a 7/10 and its targeting teenagers, Planet of the Apes is a better movie in my opinion, a lack of positive word of mouth could explain the drop off even if it's not a bad one.

To be honest, it didn't really feel like that with Spider-Man using a high-tech over complicated super suit given to him by a billionaire superhero who shows up in every act of the movie.

diaspora

The film was ok but not really amazing, like a 7/10 and its targeting teenagers, Planet of the Apes is a better movie in my opinion, a lack of positive word of mouth could explain the drop off even if it's not a bad one.

It's definitely not a bad movie, but there's better non comic book, and comic book movies that came out.

To be honest, it didn't really feel like that with a Spider-Man using a high-tech over complicated super suit given to him by a billionaire superhero who shows up in every act of the movie.

He eventually loses it but it spends... a lot of time in suburbia.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It doesn't really matter how good Spidey reviewed, there was no way I am going to watch it in theaters. I know the story, and have seen it so many times on screen that its just not that interesting. Now, when Spidey 2 comes out I may go to theaters if it reviews well, but not the Origin movie. I will see it at home though.

You don't know the story. It's not an origin movie. He already has his powers. Uncle Ben is literally not mentioned once in the film.

So... oops?

Ploid 3.0

I loved the movie, I just hope people don't blame the diverse cast on it. A particular youtube movie reviewer is waiting to see if there's a big drop in the second week, and this would be good fuel for her to hope movies didn't try to be diverse, or to be scared of it.

I think it made the movie better. It should have been released at another time, it had too little action and popcorn moments I bet. Maybe Fall, when everyone is getting cold and cozy.

I mean, if they're not interested in seeing degrassi Spider-Man learning the ropes then I can understand.

Yeah that could be it too. There was a lot of high school stuff, it would fit right in with a Nick movie.

There is a saturation point.

Once DC gets its shit together we're going to see a minimum of 3 Fox, 3 DC, and 3 Marvel movies a year. And eventually one of them will say fuck it and up it to 4 movies in a year.

That'll be... interesting. Post-Avengers 3 and 4 will be a big test.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm surprised this is isn't doing as big as GOTG2 considering I hear a lot more talk about Homecoming than that. Then again, the first Guardians had rave reviews while Spidey's having to recover from 10 years of bad flicks.

phanphare

Banned
Preferred Spider-Man 1&2 but homecoming was still good, but agree to disagree on which was better. But Don't see how a hi tech suit with ai and spider drone can be considered scrappy and low/street level.

I wasn't talking about which one was better I was talking about which one was the scappiest and most street level and that's homecoming

once tobey figures out how to web swing he's pretty much peak spider man whereas the whole movie of homecoming is peter learning the ropes and figuring shit out. scrappy and street level has nothing to do with the suit, it's about the situations spider man finds himself in and how he handles them. he had the suit in the beginning of the movie, that didn't stop him from helping out random citizens in his neighborhood. hell, he was giving a woman directions at one point. that's about as street level as you can get! also look at the villains. goblin, doc ock, lizard, and electro vs. vulture; a guy who just wants to sell some weapons to provide for his family.

diaspora

I wasn't talking about which one was better I was talking about which one was the scappiest and most street level and that's homecoming

once tobey figures out how to web swing he's pretty much peak spider man whereas the whole movie of homecoming is peter learning the ropes and figuring shit out. scrappy and street level has nothing to do with the suit, it's about the situations spider man finds himself in and how he handles them. he had the suit in the beginning of the movie, that didn't stop him from helping out random citizens in his neighborhood. hell, he was giving a woman directions at one point. that's about as street level as you can get! also look at the villains. goblin, doc ock, lizard, and electro vs. vulture; a guy who just wants to sell some weapons to provide for his family.

Being an amateur not knowing how to use the Iron Suit lite =/= scrappy or street level. And yeah, they have a sequence with him screwing around Queens but it's as meaningful as Iron Man going to a diner.

J2 Cool

I think it means Spider-man and the like are too fast-foody. Enjoyable when audiences are looking to consume, but not really a substantial movie experience. Its a piece of an MCU, and as the universe goes, people are quick to move on

But as far as delivering a highs-lows, encompassing movie experience its lacking. There was a lot of "oh thats cool" but not REAL drama. Kinda gone is the blockbuster I come out saying "woah, that was satisfying". Usually its a piece to a whole now, with a slight teaser to speculate about at the end. Just my thoughts on it.

A good film after three bad ones is going to have an uphill climb. Simple as that.

It is underperforming expectations at the same time that Wonder Woman is vastly overperforming expectations, so there will be some comparison. Nothing wrong with that.

phanphare

Banned
Being an amateur not knowing how to use the Iron Suit lite =/= scrappy or street level

yeah but street level = street level, read the whole post

also

scrap·py
adjective
consisting of disorganized, untidy, or incomplete parts.
"scrappy lecture notes piled up unread"
synonyms: feisty, tenacious, determined, persistent, dogged, aggressive, forceful;

North American informal
determined, argumentative, or pugnacious.
"he played the part of a scrappy detective"

A good film after three bad ones is going to have an uphill climb. Simple as that.

It is underperforming expectations at the same time that Wonder Woman is vastly overperforming expectations, so there will be some comparison. Nothing wrong with that.

That and Spider-Man is a known quantity. It's wasn't going to do substantially more or substantially less than any other Spider-Man movie.

Sony's problem was they were on a downward trend with a property that should be a surefire hit, and they were on their way to tarnishing a brand. That trend is now reversing because of this movie.

diaspora

yeah but street level = street level, read the whole post

also

scrap·py
adjective
consisting of disorganized, untidy, or incomplete parts.
"scrappy lecture notes piled up unread"
synonyms: feisty, tenacious, determined, persistent, dogged, aggressive, forceful;

North American informal
determined, argumentative, or pugnacious.
"he played the part of a scrappy detective"

Oh well, shit, most of the MCU and Wonder Woman fits the bill too.

Steejee

For me at least, I simply don't care about seeing Spiderman, no matter how well it rates. Wonder Woman was something new(ish), even with the stupid DC CG-everywhere ending.

Spiderman 2, by far the best of the Spidermans, and one of the best comic book movies in general, doesn't excite me that much.

SRG01

Didn't RDJ sign up on this film with a relatively sizeable salary because of the so-called RDJ effect on Marvel movies?

ZeoVGM

Banned

What did you personally expect from it? I think the people expecting a billion were always way off.

Ashhong

Dunkirk is similar, while I am sure its going to be an amazing movie and the IMAX aspects breath taking, just no real interest in seeing a slice of WW2 movie after having seen Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers. I expect a lot more people though to be interested in Dunkirk, especially younger people who never watched Ryan/BoB.

This post is all kinds of wrong. Wow

diaspora

sure but I was just saying that Homecoming's take on Spider Man was more scrappy and street level than what was in the Raimi trilogy and the ASM movies

But it isn't by your own definition any more "scrappy" than the other 5 movies or even other superhero films broadly, and it's less street level in having him spend the majority of the movie with an Iron suit given to him by a billionaire friend. Even though 3/5 of the other movies were worse overall, all of them were Spider-Man as a result of Spider-Man's own work; even when Garfield uses a web formula devised by Oscorp he builds and uses his own web shooters. Yes it's better written and a better overall package than SM3, ASM1, ASM2, but I also found is far less interesting.

LionPride

Banned

The movie wasn't an origin movie tho...

And Dunkirk is showing an aspect that hasn't really been showm before in war movies...
Spider-man 1, ASM 1, ASM 2.
So a combined five minutes over three movies count now?

diaspora

The movie wasn't an origin movie tho...

And Dunkirk is showing an aspect that hasn't really been showm before in war movies...

So a combined five minutes over three movies count now?

Yes? You asked when there's been Spider-Man movies taking place during highschool and there's like 3. Unless you want to shift goalposts a bit and talk about how much time they spend on the degrassi stuff or what year of highschool he's in.

phanphare

Banned
But it isn't by your own definition any more "scrappy" than the other 5 movies or even other superhero films broadly, and it's less street level in having him spend the majority of the movie with an Iron suit given to him by a billionaire friend. Even though 3/5 of the other movies were worse overall, all of them were Spider-Man as a result of Spider-Man's own work; even when Garfield uses a web formula devised by Oscorp he builds and uses his own web shooters.

street level has nothing to do with the suit he's wearing and everything to do with the situations he finds himself in. if plain jane suit spidey is in space that's not street level. if iron man suit spidey is fighting people robbing an atm that is street level. the suit is irrelevant to those two scenarios. hell iron man being a part of the movie puts even more emphasis on the scrappy street level nature of spider man because you're having that constant contrast of a "real" hero next to spidey. also homecoming spider man made his own web fluid and web shooters even if he was given an upgrade. I believe he was on the 3rd revision of his web fluid in the movie.

diaspora

street level has nothing to do with the suit he's wearing and everything to do with the situations he finds himself in. if plain jane suit spidey is in space that's not street level. if iron man suit spidey is fighting people robbing an atm that is street level. the suit is irrelevant to those two scenarios. hell iron man being a part of the movie puts even more emphasis on the scrappy street level nature of spider man because you're having that constant contrast of a "real" hero next to spidey. also homecoming spider man made his own web fluid and web shooters even if he was given an upgrade. I believe he was on the 3rd revision of his web fluid in the movie.

You mean like taking on petty thieves and slumming around in the sewers? Like I said, even though this is better than the ASM movies, it's not as "scrappy" or "street-level" as them. Also, are you fucking kidding me? Just because he off screen made his own shooters doesn't make it less "non-street" for him to be using now pimped out Stark-tech.

diaspora

Why do you keep mentioning Degrassi? lol

I really hate the highschool shit. It just gave me these weird Degrassi/ Disney tv vibes. I want to emphasize that this was a better overall package (clearly) than the past 3 Spider-Man movies, but the most of the subject matter I didn't find interesting or engaging. Nor did I like it visually whether it was effects or how it was shot.

Top Bottom