• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 'Spider-Man's 73% Fri-to-Fri Fall Means For Sony, Marvel, And other Cape films

Marvel's real test will be how they handle the transition from the current roster of Avengers / Thanos build up, to whatever the overarching theme for the next round of the MCU is. It will be interesting if they will be able to keep interest levels's the same once we move on from Cap, Thor, Iron-Man, etc.

jman2050

It didn't really dawn on me that Box Office-GAF is literally Gaming-GAF with some labels substituted until I read through this thread.

The predilection for confirmation bias is uncanny.

kswiston

kswis the god

so Spider-Man didn't open in China yet?

Not until the end of August or early September most likely.

China didn't like seeing that Hollywood films were thoroughly beating out their domestic films this year, so they brought back the summer protection period. Despicable Me 3 was the last foreign film cleared for release until mid August.

Domestic numbers have slaughtered pretty much any blockbuster that wasn't a superhero film this year.

I said this in last week's box office thread, but the only sequels, reboots, or relaunches to make more than their predecessors in the domestic box office this year were Logan, GotG2, John Wick 2, and Spider-Man Homecoming. Everything else is down.

Mariolee

The Forbes Contributor strikes again.

All the looks of an actually well researched article with none of the understanding.

cruets

I haven't seen Spiderman yet. Usually I'd rush out to see it but Im kinda burned out and since I missed opening weekend might as well wait for the Blu Ray

JB1981

Um, yeah? People do budget. I won't see Apes until later because I'm planning on seeing Dunkirk in IMAX.

People have been calling for Dunkirk to be Nolan's first financial disappointment. And it's a WW2 movie about a little known evacuation in France involving the British. No one is skipping out on Homecoming to see that movie

LionPride

Banned
It didn't really dawn on me that Box Office-GAF is literally Gaming-GAF with some labels substituted until I read through this thread.

That's any subsect of Gaf

Wrestle-Gaf
Hip-hop Gaf
Box Office Gaf
Gaming Side
Pop-Gaf
Politics-Gaf

Literally everything

Too many reboots in a relatively short period of time has lessened the hype for Spider-Man going by who went to see it out of my friends and colleagues.

This isn't really how the Box Office threads go at all, though.

This is what happens when Box Office talk escapes those threads and gets spilled all over Off-Topic like a truck full of eels.

y2dvd

Could be that people have been yearning for a WW movie since she haven't had her own solo outing yet, plus wanting a female lead superhero movie. And it happens to be great, so that is definitely helping.

Spiderman have been rebooted twice in a relatively short period of time. Audiences definitely notices that.

I hope Blank Panther follows a similar success as WW.

We're talking about Black Panther's potential in the actual Box Office thread quite a bit, if you guys curious about that wanna swing over

But basically:

It's opening really wide w/ no real competition for about a month
The talent behind & in front of the camera is fuckin' nuts
It's wholly unique as a Superhero film

Those three things are going to be very big factors. Don't look at other Marvel movies (although the insurance of that big red brand being right up front can't be discounted) look at February results from previous years. Look at the month's breakouts, look what they did, and look at what those breakouts have in common with Black Panther.

For example: Deadpool broke out largely because there were passionate people behind and in front of the camera, they were careful in how they did what they did, they presented something new and interesting that audiences hadn't seen before, they sold it well, and nothing was in its way for a very long time, so the word of mouth floated it more than it otherwise might have.

Now think about how that could apply to Black Panther, directed by Ryan Coogler, starring that ridiculously stacked cast, opening during Black History month with a much less restrictive rating, with Marvel putting their full weight behind the thing.

You really think using Doctor Strange as the measuring stick is the best call there?

Lifeline

The film had bad word of mouth, I'm a huge Spidey fan and most of my friends don't know many other superheroes apart from Spider-Man and we went Friday opening weekend and were all pretty disappointed.

And 61.4% weekend-to-weekend isnt' really a massive drop. It's not a great one, but 55-60% weekend-to-weekend drops arent' out of the ordinary at all, really.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I mean yeah it was acclaimed by critics, thus the massive opening weekend. But I'm not seeing a lot of buzz afterwards. Unlike Wonder Woman who had a lot of positive buzz from fans and did pretty well after opening weekend. Seeing the opposite of that here for Spider-Man.

Marvel movies don't have that buzz because people expect them to be good, Wonder Woman was expected to be shit, so it had a lot of people talking because it was actually good. Guardians 2 was reviewed great by fans and critics, and even lower than Homecoming, but it didn't have a ton of buzz around how good it was because the first one was good already.

Guess it's time to sell my shares.

Realistically, it doesn't mean much.

But if we're exaggerating, Parker's time is DONE. Time to reboot it again with Miguel O'Hara in the spotlight.

oh hey I have that comic in a box somewhere. I only remember it because the red around the sides is in a metallic finish.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I mean yeah it was acclaimed by critics, thus the massive opening weekend. But I'm not seeing a lot of buzz afterwards. Unlike Wonder Woman who had a lot of positive buzz from fans and did pretty well after opening weekend. Seeing the opposite of that here for Spider-Man.

It's unfair to compare everything to Wonder Woman's run, which was record breaking and surprising.

As has been pointed out, this is not some massive unheard of drop. It dropped 61% from weekend to weekend. A little more than Sony would have liked but it's still doing great.

Fans loved this movie. It will forever be in the discussion of "Which is the best Spider-Man? 2 or Homecoming?"

Slayven

1. Spidey doing modest means doom for BP when there are 2 superhero movies inbetween BP and Spiderman?

2. I will say Girls night is a better thermometer for BP then Spiderman

Ahasverus

This is pure clickbait. The internet hot takes are unsufferable for both Marvel and DC.
hopefully this means we finally reached a point of super hero fatigue...
Oh the irony.
image.php

People fall too easy to the "doom and gloom" mentality. I think it's more what others in this thread have stated, there's a BIG movie coming out each week, they are going to cut into each others earnings. People like seeing lots of different BIG MOVIES, so they are going to do so. If studios wanted to spread out their releases, they should've considered releasing these movies farther apart, rather than the "dick measuring contest" of "My movie's sooooooo much better, It can hold up agianst _! Bring it on!!!"

Top Bottom