• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 'Spider-Man's 73% Fri-to-Fri Fall Means For Sony, Marvel, And other Cape films

Spiderman is Redbox status for me. I just don't care about seeing it on the big screen anymore.

image.php

Seesaw15

WW had way more competition
"Competition"

The week prior to WW release was Pirates 5 and Baywatch. Opening weekend was Captain Underpants and The Mummy. Second week was Cars 3 and Rough night.

The best reviewed movie of the bunch was Captain Underpants and a 3rd Cars movie.

Now compare it to Homecoming going against Apes + all the baggage Spidey has with the audience due to the last 3 movies ranging from mediocre to terrible.

Maybe people just didn't want another high school Peter Parker, even if it's done well this time around.

Hope those who were saying it'll break a billion or even top Spider-Man 3's box office are ready for crow. I see it averaging around the ASM series, with the benefit here being that the production costs were significantly cheaper, which to be honest shows in the movie.

Best wishes.

LionPride

Banned
Maybe people just didn't want another high school Peter Parker, even if it's done well this time around.

Hope those who were saying it'll break a billion or even top Spider-Man 3's box office are ready for crow. I see it averaging around the ASM series, with the benefit here being that the production costs were significantly cheaper, which to be honest shows in the movie.

Best wishes.
When have we had a HS Peter

Now compare it to Homecoming going against Apes.

Again, Apes didn't really do all that well enough to explain this drop. The audience overlap isn't that strong, and the presence of mind of that series isn't really that high.

This would be like suggesting Star Trek Beyond's opening really hurt The Secret Life of Pets.

phanphare

Banned

Best wishes.

didn't it already pass ASM2 and isn't on the way to pass ASM1?

This is pure clickbait. The internet hot takes are unsufferable for both Marvel and DC.

But let's be real the takes go nuclear when a Marvel movie doesn't light the entire world up

Marvel releasing 3 movies per year now, pretty sure they know they're not all gonna do a billion+ every time.

Vyer

Wow, 73%. Was not expecting that.

I had mixed feelings about the movie, maybe more felt the same way than I was expecting. Ultimately the mix of old and new and MCU standards just didn't blend real well for me. But it's still very entertaining.

Confused by this "WW had it easy" narrative because I don't know why all those movies tanking critically would have to do with their BO intake as if "rotten" movies don't make bank. At the time, Cars and Pirates eating WW's lunch could just as easily have been true and everything else is hindsight now.

Apes isn't this franchise killer.

I think Spider-Man will do fine, but it released in a year of some quality superhero movies and yes, maybe the poor 'Amazing' films still linger but Spider-Man as a premier superhero film franchise isn't the outlier it was in the 2000s.

I see people continue to underestimate the Apes franchise. Too many blockbusters. Flips these movies around and Apes would have taken a massive nose dive too. It doesn't say anything about Homecoming. It speaks volumes about War.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If nothing else it shows word of mouth didn't help. The people that wanted to see it went and the secondary more casual moviegoer couldn't care less about another Spiderman reboot even if it's got good reviews.

didn't it already pass ASM2 and isn't on the way to pass ASM1?

Actually nevermind, I just checked the author of the article.

Seriously, please put Forbes contributor in the title..

To respond to your quote, I do not think it will pass a billion but it will likely average around the usual Spider-Man grossing of 750-850 Million Worldwide.

Best wishes.

"Competition"

The week prior to WW release was Pirates 5 and Baywatch. Opening weekend was Captain Underpants and The Mummy. Second week was Cars 3 and Rough night.

The best reviewed movie of the bunch was Captain Underpants and a 3rd Cars movie.

Now compare it to Homecoming going against Apes + all the baggage Spidey has with the audience due to the last 3 movies ranging from mediocre to terrible.

You named all the movies plural Wonder Woman was up against

then you named 1 movie singular movie that Spider-Man was up against

What are you arguing again?

Confused by this "WW had it easy" narrative because I don't know why all those movies tanking critically would have to do with their BO intake as if "rotten" movies don't make bank. At the time, Cars and Pirates eating WW's lunch could just as easily have been true and everything else is hindsight now.

Apes isn't this franchise killer.

I think Spider-Man will do fine, but it released in a year of some quality superhero movies and yes, maybe the poor 'Amazing' films still linger but Spider-Man as a premier superhero film franchise isn't the outlier it was in the 2000s.

I remember reading plenty of posts criticizing Wonder Woman for opening smushed betweenThe Mummy, Cars 3, Pirates 5, Transformers 7, etc and how poor an experience that would be.. Funny how the narrative changed so much

Servbot24

Banned
I blame Sony. The movie itself was great, people are just burned out on Spider-man reboots. Combined with their instance on making a separate Spidey-vrerse it's like they're hellbent on destroying the franchise's cinematic viability.

kswiston

I see people continue to underestimate the Apes franchise. Too many blockbusters. Flips these movies around and Apes would have taken a massive nose dive too. It doesn't say anything about Homecoming. It speaks volumes about War.

Apes did pretty poorly.

Why does it matter if someone is a Forbes contributor? Doesn't that just mean they're a freelancer, or is it like a blog where anyone can upload?

Penguin

Wonder Woman having it "Easy" is such an internet revisionist history

The movie was sandwiched in-between a bunch of billion dollar franchises with Pirates, Cars and Transformers.

Gal was a relatively unknown actress going against essentially Hollywood Royalty (at some point) with Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise movies around her.

The film also had to overcome the critical panning that the first 3 films in the universe had.

Now things worked well in her favor that a lot of the films turned out to be critical stinkers, but there's no way to plan for that.

shira

"Competition"

1 week at IMAX and 3D priority means is a big deal.

They could have added a few extra millions.

Spiderman had 3 weeks of IMAX and 3D priority

Why does it matter if someone is a Forbes contributor? Doesn't that just mean they're a freelancer, or is it like a blog where anyone can upload?

Basically the latter. '

Also, actual weekend takes came in and Spidey dropped 61%, which is basically the same as GOTG 2 (55%).

Ahasverus

Wonder Woman having it "Easy" is such an internet revisionist history

The movie was sandwiched in-between a bunch of billion dollar franchises with Pirates, Cars and Transformers.

Gal was a relatively unknown actress going against essentially Hollywood Royalty (at some point) with Johnny Depp and Tom Cruise movies around her.

The film also had to overcome the critical panning that the first 3 films in the universe had.

Now things worked well in her favor that a lot of the films turned out to be critical stinkers, but there's no way to plan for that.
This.

It's not as if Spidey is some 70 RT tier movie, it's as well rated as WW and it's not doing as well.

The crux is somewhere else, somewhere within the movie itself. it's just not gathering monstrous enthusiasm.

Still, it's doing well, and it's gonna make mad money, can't understand the doom and gloom narrative.

Yes, it was not a record breaking success, but at the same time, the movie wasn't trying to be it either,

eizarus

Banned
A little bit of Spidey fatigue and probably the competition is what I think happened.

Guardians and Wonder Woman benefited from not having that much competition and Wonder Woman, besides being something new is a pretty good movie.
I'd say it's a bit of Marvel fatigue. They're becoming pretty formulaic. Personally I didn't feel Spidey was part of their standard formula but oh well.

Seesaw15

Again, Apes didn't really do all that well enough to explain this drop. The audience overlap isn't that strong, and the presence of mind of that series isn't really that high.

This would be like suggesting Star Trek Beyond's opening really hurt The Secret Life of Pets.

I'm not suggesting Apes was the sole reason for the drop since this is in line with most Spidey movies but it didn't help.

Also, while I get your point its a bit disingenuous compare the audiences for Apes and Homecoming to Trek and Pets.

jviggy43

I thought it was good but not something I'm really going to go see again in the theater. I've seen the other comic book movies several times while in the theater but not sure im going to watch homecoming again.

Shaanyboi

Banned

There's probably a helluva lot more crossover between superhero blockbuster vs sci-fi action movie, and another sci-fi action movie vs a terrible looking kids movie

Also, while I get your point its a bit disingenuous compare the audiences for Apes and Homecoming to Trek and Pets.

I dont' think it is. I mean, it's not one-to-one, but for the purposes of comparison, I think it fits pretty well.

When Beyond hit, Pets was on its 3rd weekend. Ghostbusters was on its 2nd, but it wasn't anywhere as well recieved critically or financially as Homecoming was, so I thought Pets worked better, considering the film's appeal and reception.

Beyond and Apes 3 have a fair amount in common, honestly.

kmfdmpig

This should be a year in which the "superhero movie fatigue" is finally killed off, not embraced.
Spider-Man
Wonder Woman
Logan
and
GoTG2 have all performed phenomenally well in a year in which so many non-superhero films under-performed.

Spider-Man, as so many other posters pointed out, had to undo all of the damage from SM3, ASM, and particularly ASM2 to rebuild. It's not like the movie will lose money. It'll still do quite well and should improve the public's perception of Spider-Man films in general, much as Batman Begins set the stage for successive Batman films to do better.

Yeah, making the argument that audiences are fatigued by superheroes in what appears to be the single best year for that genre? I'm not seeing it.

This year has had a lot of superhero films released, all of them have been recieved very well critically, financially there have been some amazing runs on top of that - as K-Swiss pointed out, the average for all these films combined is going to be something like just under 800 mil worldwide.

By the time the year winds out, it's probably gonna be something like every superhero film released in 2017 is a legitimately good one, with a couple great ones in the mix, and the group average will be pretty close to $300 mil domestic.

Hard to make the argument for superhero fatigue there.

a916

"Competition"

I thought that baggage is negated from being in the MCU... and riding all that momentum. Isn't WW fighting off the baggage of MOS/BvS/SS?

I mean going into it, Cars 3 and Transformers seemed like they'd put up a bigger fight to WW than Despicable Me and War.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
"Competition"

What you talking about willis. Compare the grosses of those films at launch and the crossover with ww and compare to war. It's not even close

Haines

Banned
Apes.

We went to the theatre thursday, so we couldnt see apes.

The movie will do well in the long run, but most people probably dont understand why theres a second reboot already

And i cant blame them

Regardless of quality I think it needed a better hook than "it's now in the MCU!" As it's big hook. It was high school Parker...again. Learning the ropes...again. It's been done enough times before that. It needed to do something to shake things up more. I contend it would have performed stronger if it started with Peter as a veteran Spider-Man, out of college, already dating MJ, dealing with things besides HS drama

overcast

I feel like the marketing didn't do much for the movie. Didn't seem so fresh and exciting. For me personally that translated to the flick m, but it didn't seem too fun based off the trailers.

diaspora

When have we had a HS Peter

Spider-man 1, ASM 1, ASM 2.

Best wishes.

The only good thing that ever happened with HS Spider-Man was getting shot and dying in USM.

diaspora

Regardless of quality I think it needed a better hook than "it's now in the MCU!" As it's big hook. It was high school Parker...again. Learning the ropes...again. It's been done enough times before that. It needed to do something to shake things up more. I contend it would have performed stronger if it started with Peter as a veteran Spider-Man, out of college, already dating MJ, dealing with things besides HS drama

Shit, even push things even further into "Big-TIme" era Horizon Labs territory where he's an actual scientist.

jackal27

Banned
I think the people who want to see Marvel movies saw it opening weekend and then... everyone else doesn't care anymore? My wife was rolling her eyes at a new Spider-Man movie, but really enjoyed it when we went.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wow, 73%. Was not expecting that.

I had mixed feelings about the movie, maybe more felt the same way than I was expecting. Ultimately the mix of old and new and MCU standards just didn't blend real well for me. But it's still very entertaining.

It was 61% from weekend to weekend.

The 73% Friday drop is a nearly meaningless statistic here, that was put in the title of the article to make it look worse than it really was.

Homecoming is doing great.

kunonabi

Yeah that would felt far fresher especially if they were married since we dont actually have an mcu hero in a really serious relationship yet. I mean if they wanted to skew younger id still rather have seen annie iincluded since that could have potentially played super well with families more so than high school pete.

Top Bottom