• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What 'Spider-Man's 73% Fri-to-Fri Fall Means For Sony, Marvel, And other Cape films

phanphare

Banned
You mean like taking on petty thieves and slumming around in the sewers? Like I said, even though this is better than the ASM movies, it's not as "scrappy" or "street-level" as them.

and like I said compare the main villains in the ASM movies to Vulture. Lizard was trying to turn the human race into a bunch of lizard people no? and I don't even really know what electro's goal was other than fucking shit up. compare them to Vulture who robs equipment to make weapons to sell to street level crooks so he can provide for his family.

do you see my point now?

diaspora

and like I said compare the main villains in the ASM movies to Vulture. Lizard was trying to turn the human race into a bunch of lizard people no? and I don't even really know what electro's goal was other than fucking shit up. compare them to Vulture who robs equipment to make weapons to sell to street level crooks so he can provide for his family.

do you see my point now?

Vulture was selling and using retrofitted alien tech capable as we see in the film of robbing Stark's own private cargo planes, so I see your point and I'm saying that I think you're wrong.

I really hate the highschool shit. It just gave me these weird Degrassi/ Disney tv vibes. I want to emphasize that this was a better overall package (clearly) than the past 3 Spider-Man movies, but the most of the subject matter I didn't find interesting or engaging. Nor did I like it visually whether it was effects or how it was shot.

In before Spider-Man has always been a kid in high school while disregarding how he eventually gets out of high school and has several more extensive and interesting story arcs.

The theme works for the audience Disney and Marvel have been wanting to cater to with the brand for years now. From the looks of things though, the sequel will also be in high school.

I could be wrong but I remember a LOT of people were saying all the MCU movies this year will hit 1B, with only Thor being the maybe.

This is also what I've seen, like in almost every hype thread. It seems to be stabilizing instead of growing. Until Infinity War is here I guess.

diaspora

In before Spider-Man has always been a kid in high school while disregarding how he eventually gets out of high school and has several more extensive and interesting story arcs.

The theme works for the audience Disney and Marvel have been wanting to cater to with the brand for years now. From the looks of things though, the sequel will also be in high school.

To be fair, I think Disney/Marvel wants the highschool stuff for the films and the good stuff for the console series- which I get, but I can't gel with the highschool stuff; I found it just irritating.

Rob Cain needs to leave the Box Office stuff to Scott Mendelsson over at Forbes.

This drop doesn't mean anything out of the ordinary.
You misspelled his name.
ScottMendelson12.08_112b_400x400.jpg

phanphare

Banned
Vulture was selling and using retrofitted alien tech capable as we see in the film of robbing Stark's own private cargo planes, so I see your point and I'm saying you're wrong.

how am I wrong? how is green goblin, doc ock, lizard, or electro more of a street level villain than Vulture? that's just crazy

why was he stealing alien tech? what was he doing with it? who was he working with? who was he selling the weapons to? why was he doing any of that in the first place? did he have any kind of crazy super powers? was his mind altered in some significant way?

not really seeing where you're coming from in regards to this. Vulture was a blue collar worker who got laid off and started doing illegal shit on the side to provide for his family. he doesn't have any goblin serum, he doesn't have arm ai taking over his mind, he hasn't been turned into a lizard, and he hasn't been turned into an electricity dude. he's just a normal guy in a suit serving street level crooks with weapons tech that he steals.

diaspora

how am I wrong? how is green goblin, doc ock, lizard, or electro more of a street level villain than Vulture? that's just crazy

why was he stealing alien tech? what was he doing with it? who was he working with? who was he selling the weapons too? why was he doing any of that in the first place? did he have any kind of crazy super powers? was his mind altered in some significant way?

not really seeing where you're coming from in regards to this

Yeah, I'd put Goblin and Octopus as definitely being more street level than Vulture in this film by a country mile. Goblin spends a lot of time just either terrorizing people or getting into a bare-knuckle brawl with the hero. Otto spends a chunk of the film robbing banks. Vulture's using a tech suit built with Chitauri tech from the Avengers films and selling Chitauri weapons, while eventually using it to successfully steal mini arc reactors from Stark's cargo plane. Lizard spends the his time in the film slumming it up in the sewers and school.

technopath

Neo Member
The marketing for this movie was insane. It was virtually unavoidable. There is no excuse for this drop. Glad the superior movie won the weekend.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, I'd put Goblin and Octopus as definitely being more street level than Vulture in this film by a country mile. Goblin spends a lot of time just either terrorizing people or getting into a bare-knuckle brawl with the hero. Otto spends a chunk of the film robbing banks. Vulture's using a tech suit built with Chitauri tech from the Avengers films and selling Chitauri weapons, while eventually using it to successfully steal mini arc reactors from Stark's cargo plane. Lizard spends the his time in the film slumming it up in the sewers and school.

I don't think I can drag this out any longer so we can just agree to disagree lol

also see my edit for further clarification

diaspora

The thing about street-levels....is the street always wins

Movie spider-man was never going to be a truly street-level thing anyway, that stuff is left to the Netflix series.

I don't think I can drag this out any longer so we can just agree to disagree lol

also see my edit for further clarification

You yourself said that if you took a plain clothed spider-man and chucked him into space, he wouldn't be street level. They took a blue-collar guy and threw him deep into re-engineering, using, and reselling Chitauri tech from the Avengers with him being more of an Iron Man villain.

phanphare

Banned
You yourself said that if you took a plain clothed spider-man and chucked him into space, he wouldn't be street level. They took a blue-collar guy and threw him deep into re-engineering, using, and reselling Chitauri tech from the Avengers with him being more of an Iron Man villain.

like I said I can't drag this out anymore, I've actually already addressed the points your bringing up in this post so just reread my other posts if you want further clarification

ringlord

Overall weekend drop is 61%, which is in the typical range for these front-loaded movies. Not good, but not terrible or even surprising.

The forbes guy making the article about the Friday-to-Friday drop was just using the 73% number as clickbait. Civil War doing similar numbers should tell you that.

SMH already has a better domestic total than ASM2; that shows improvement and that they are starting to climb out from under the baggage of the past three movies. I doubt anyone at Marvel or Sony is panicking, but neither are they throwing an extra party.

The real test will be if SMH can top the worldwide total of ASM2 (which still did well overseas).

Ashhong

All the hype and previous movie success really clouded my judgement. Makes me believe that 1b is cake and a no brainer for something like this.

LionPride

Banned
Doc Ock wanted to recreate the sun

That was his end goal

Think about that for a moment

Goblin, sure, he really just wanted to fuck over Peter Parker

Vulture's main goal is to get paid selling alien weapons. No more. No less.

diaspora

That was his end goal

He spends the entire movie as Iron Man's antagonist. Like damn, even Whiplash in Iron Man 2 was lower tech whose own ambitions never exceeded fighting Tony.

The forbes guy making the article about the Friday-to-Friday drop was just using the 73% number as clickbait. Civil War doing similar numbers should tell you that.

Exactly.

There is no other site citing a 73% drop, everyone else is mentioning around 60%, either it's a giant conspiracy between all the movie sites, or this guy just wanted a clickbait article.

I knew when I saw this article yesterday, it was going pop up on GAF.

phanphare

Banned

That was his end goal

I don't know, obviously the movie didn't have the best writing but there is that whole bit where goblin tries to get spider man to join him and says something like "think of all we could accomplish together"

goblin wants power. vulture just wants to make some money and was seemingly content doing that completely off the radar for 8 years

Busty

Banned
What an age to be alive where the sixth film starring a particular character is set to gross over $250m in the US and it's met by a ton of hand wringing and worried think pieces.

If anything Marvel is a victim of it's own success, where the hardcore fans (bafflingly) only measure success by certain box office yard sticks. Why anyone would will this film (which is already a hit) to make over a billion dollars at the global box office to the benefit of a Japanese multinational is utterly beyond me.

Spider-Man Homecoming is a hit. It connected with the core (albeit big) Marvel audience but, unlike Wonder Woman, didn't expand beyond it. That's all this is.

If you really want to find something to ponder while pacing back and forth ask yourself this, if Homecoming misses the $300m at the US box office it'll be the third Spidey film in a row to do so. While the character still sells a ton of merch where does this leave his standing as a 'AAA' film franchise?

Hmmmm.

I loved the shit out of it, and think it's a close second to Raimi's Spider-Man 2. I couldn't care less that industry analysts are wringing their hands over the fact that the movie is merely successful and not an all-devouring juggernaut of box office records. I guess those with a huge hate boner for this movie now have something to cling to since critics weren't going to help them out.

It is a strange outcome, but just an anomaly.

What other highly reviewed film has had that big of a drop? Not many.

It is the sixth Spiderman film in 15 years(third reboot) and 7th appearance for him in a movie.

Spiderman is kind of uncharted territory in a sense. I know Batman has had more casting changes(and technically reboots with the change of directors ie. Burton to Schumacher). But this is the third iteration in ten years.

Not to mention that the ASM films had a tepid response, so it kinda lowered the stock of the franchise a bit.

Nipo

It is a strange outcome, but just an anomaly.

What other highly reviewed film has had that big of a drop? Not many.

It is the sixth Spiderman film in 15 years(third reboot) and 7th appearance for him in a movie.

Spiderman is kind of uncharted territory in a sense. I know Batman has had more casting changes(and technically reboots with the change of directors ie. Burton to Schumacher). But this is the third iteration in ten years.

Not to mention that the ASM films had a tepid response, so it kinda lowered the stock of the franchise a bit.

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2 comes to mind right away. But that is largely because of the insane first weekend.

Genuine question: how many of you recommended someone watch this film after seeing it where the person you recommended wasn't going to see it anywho?

I couldn't get my girlfriend to go see it even if I tried. The moment she saw Toky Stark she lost interest because she feels left out, having not had time to see the rest of MCU films. Not that this means shit overall, as BO is still great for MCU films. But it's a thing when comparing this to other Spider-Man films that didn't have a universe to fit into.

Dabanton

Biggest problem I've seen from people who usually go to 'cape' movies they didn't think it would be good. So didn't go to see it.

The previous movies soured people onto this one as they thought , not another one.

I've been shocked at how many people I know who haven't seen it yet.

It will do very, very well on rentals.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nah. The Marvel movies aren't very great, and still make bank. Think that is because people love the shit out of superheroes. Gonna be a while before we have "too much"

They do well because they're great.

If people didn't think they were good movies, they wouldn't keep doing so well.

They do well because they're great.

If people didn't think they were good movies, they wouldn't keep doing so well.
I only speak from personal experience (I'd be arrogant to do otherwise). I find the movies mostly mediocore, and have had hardly any desire to rewatch them. I love superhero movies, or rather movies in general, so I have seen every MCU film in theater EXCEPT GotG2 (no idea why). So yeah...I'll keep going and giving them money. I just wish they were better. I don't mean that to come off shitty either. I am very aware of what I like and don't like as a viewer, and there are aspects of MCU films that let me down, like the villains or 3rd acts.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This drop is entirely due to me whining to people about how MCU bullshit weighs down this movie and non-devotees won't enjoy it.

spelen

guys just look at the release schedule around the movie! despicable me, planet of the apes, next week valerian and Dunkirk! I bet you of all the movies I mentioned the only one that'll over perform is Dunkirk and only cause (i'm guessing) low expectations coupled with strong word of mouth. considering this rush of release follows 2 months where the only blockbuster of the summer worth mentioning for most ppl was wonder woman, GOTG and fast and the furious this result should surprise no one. just a terrible release date stealing potential millions from the overall ticket sale.

Nipo

THIS IS ACTUALLY FAKE NEWS.

The drop was about 10% less than headline and in line with other spiderman movies.

It isn't fake new, it is cherry picked data. He picked a friday-to-friday comparison instead of the more common weekend-to-weekend. Because of the way numbers are reported thursday night showings get rolled up into opening day friday, which makes the the drop even bigger.

Replicant

The problem is that every big summer movie has a premiere each week. Of course they gonna eat of each others boxoffice

I dont get why the studios do like this. Its plain stupid

This. Is it any surprise that interest dwindles down quickly when there are many competitors the week after?

Top Bottom