• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game that year? 2007 edition.

Wow I think the only game that released in 2007 that I actually played that year was Pokémon Pearl. Quite a few of those games in the OP I'm sill planning on picking up tbh

Mass Effect is my pick, it's firmly in my top 5 favourites of all-time

Firebrand

Phoenix Wright: T&T or Team Fortress 2. Tough choice.

Unreal Tournament III gets the honor of being the biggest disappointment, what a turd. Was in day-1-mode until I tried the beta.

It's very, very hard to pick only one game but I'm going to have to give it to my all-time favorite game, Halo 3. Mass Effect is a very close second, however. I've put more hours into each of those games than pretty much anything else that came out that year combined.

Malawhur

Man this is hard. God of War 2, Mass effect, COD 4, Bioshock, Crysis.. All great games. But I will go with Uncharted just because how it blew my mind at the time with its graphics and charm

theBmZ

Definitely Halo 3 and Rock Band. Countless hours upon hours were spent with those 2 games.

Edit: Whoops. I overlooked Mass Effect. That was the best game of 2007.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Have to give it to Mario Galaxy. Not only my favorite Mario game, but in my all time top 10 probably. Unforgettable experience.

2007 was crazy: BioShock, Crackdown, Portal, God of War 2, HL2 ep 2, Halo 3... damn.

JediLink

Trials and Tribulations is one of my favourite games of all time. Also love Super Mario Galaxy and Persona 3.

eot

Banned
Easily S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

The definition of a flawed masterpiece. For me the other two games didn't hit the same highs as this one. I don't think any other shooter has done horror segments as well as this game, and there's a real beauty to the ruined environments. A very special game.

I said come in, don't stand there!

http://www.gbase.de/uploads/ci/shots/STALKER---Shadow-of-Chernobyl_b_68688.jpg[/IMG

Also, that menu music was haunting.

febLey

Portal

Other contenders (without order):

- BioShock
- Bomberman Live
- Call of Duty 4
- God of War 2
- Halo 3
- Crackdown
- Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
- Rock Band
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Team Fortress 2

Wow, what a great year.

LordOfChaos

God of War 2 came out at the same year as Bioshock 1. Huh. My brain had separated them out for launching on different gen consoles.

Dittoing Mass Effect and Bioshock, and Halo 3.

Nintenleo

A lot of my absolute favourite titles come from that year. I must say though, nothing comes close to Super Mario Galaxy.

Runner-ups: Portal, Halo 3, Metroid Prime 3, Mass Effect

Superkewl

Gold Member
Depends...of the games I played that year, probably Mass Effect, the best ME game of the 3, but I loved the Witcher much more, but didn't play it till like 2012.

Don't even need to mull over this one. Super Mario Galaxy is, without question, one of the greatest games ever made and one of my favorite games I've ever played. Incredible 3D platformer that set a bar that few (non-Mario) games in its genre have reached, let alone surpassed.

Krixeus

Wow I forgot how much of a great year that was:

1) Bioshock
2) Halo 3
3) Call of Duty 4
4) Super Mario Galaxy
5) God of War 2

If I had a good enough PC to run it, Crysis probably would have made it on the list too.

5 Persona 3: In spite of how bland the dungeon crawling can be (especially at the start), the brilliant storytelling and atmosphere still make it one of the best JRPGs ever.

4 Halo 3: This is the game that console shooters should strive to be. A really fun game on all fronts.

3 Portal: I prefer 2, and most of the humor has been ruined because of memes, but it is still an exceptionally elegantly designed puzzle game.

2 Team Fortress 2: Used to be a 10/10, but the game has gotten worse over the years. Still maybe the best online shooter.

1 Super Mario Galaxy: Absolute masterpiece. I would argue it is surpassed by Galaxy 2, but it is still one of the greatest games ever made.

enemy territory quake wars

i love how the giant maps get naturally divided into open but directed combat stages as the attacking team makes progress

it has a great compromise between teamwork and individual skill

it is well-balanced by providing freedom to wander constrained by the urgency of the mission

ghibli99

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), without question. I was floored when SMG2 was even better.

Edit: Lots of other great ones too...

Portal
CoD4
HL2 Episode 2
Uncharted
P3 (although I didn't play it until P3P)

Excellent year!

Persona 3
Guitar Hero 3
Bioshock
Mario Galaxy
Mass Effect

I haven't played the Ace Attorney sequels yet, but seeing how much I'm enjoying playing through the first one makes me think those are going to be on this list pretty soon.

Persona 3
Guitar Hero 3
Bioshock
Mario Galaxy
Mass Effect

I haven't played the Ace Attorney sequels yet, but seeing how much I'm enjoying playing through the first one makes me think those are going to be on this list pretty soon.

I really did enjoy the sequels and Apollo Justice, though I haven't played the 3DS ones as I don't own one yet. Each one has a final case that's out of this world.

Cepheus

Team Fortress 2. I've put a stupid amount of hours into that game. Well, I did, before it became all 'competitive' to compete with Overwatch which completely turned me off. I haven't played it since April.

DXMGT

Banned
This is actually way too hard to pick.

But man seeing that Forza 2 screenshot brought back memories.

The game was ugly as sin but it was such a brilliant sim-lite racer, it was accessible yet could go pretty deep with it's tuning options. I feel the Motorsport games have really lost their focus since that game, I still enjoy them though for different reasons.

13ruce

Banned
Pokemon daimond and pearl.
If i say Mario Galaxy it's kinda cheating i played that game for the first time a few months ago.

killatopak

I think I was still balls deep into dota in 2007 but I kept playing ps2 games here and there.

If 2007 games played in different years is included then I think I liked and was blown away by Bioshock and Uncharted. I played them in 2010 when I first got my ps3.

Alphahawk

There's not a whole lot that stood out to me that year, others would say The Orange Box but honestly I was too underwhelmed by Half Life 2 to ever get into the epsiodes.

I guess I would have to say Earth Defense Force. It comes down to that or Crackdown, Crackdown was pretty fun but it was broken in some pretty insane ways. So I'll say EDF.

EDF! EDF!

Memento

God of War 2 by far.

But if I had played Persona 3 back then, it would be Persona 3.

So a tie between both of these games for me.

God of War 2, the absolutely best game in the series and some of the best memories of my gaming life. And Persona 3, the game that made me a fan of the Persona series to the point that my most antecipated game this year is Persona 5 by a long shot.

Top Bottom